Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

If you ignore the cost of the actual electricity, maybe
We are talking about a few hours every year or less. The cost of electricity is unimportant.

In addition, the cost of electricity would be less if there is enough transmission capacity to cover needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Making an undersea power-connector between finland and sweden is not at all representative of the problem of interconnecting europe with enough capacity that wind power can be moved to where it needs to go. There will be a need for new lines having to be made across europe, over land, over inhabited areas. These are going to be much more expensive, much more contested by the people affected too which drags out on the construction time, I've heard of new transmission lines being delayed by 20 years due to similar problems.

Based on this reuters article europe is looking at a 585€ billion investment to the grid to make it suitable for mass renewables and moving power where it needs to go, and I believe that's not accounting for all the before mentioned difficulties.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/eu-plans-boost-power-grid-investment-2023-11-24/

Of course it's probably all for naught since europes weather patterns are such that the wind often doesn't blow anywhere in europe so the concept thus fails:
https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/features/energy-storage-analysing-feasibility-grid-scale-options/

From a strategic perspective IMO it would be better if each country tried to be as independent as it feasbly can in the area of power generation, rather than relying on neighbors.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

With the planned amount of mass renewables getting deployed this decade, interconnection and transmission investments make a lot more sense for a common European energy market, than going back to per-country "sufficiency" (which means more fossil fuels, most importantly).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

His Divine Shadow posted:

From a strategic perspective IMO it would be better if each country tried to be as independent as it feasbly can in the area of power generation, rather than relying on neighbors.

Yes, that would probably be useful if we plan to go to war with Sweden. But why do you want to raise your electricity bill so much? Thanks to the energy market and wind and hydro power from Sweden and Norway we have enjoyed exceptionally cheap electricity for couple decades already. Any other power source would have been more expensive. If the peak prices concern you so much, then put the savings you get from cheap summer electricity to piggybank and use them to cover January costs. If you want expensive electricity just use fixed contract but don't mess things for the rest of us.

One option to contain peak costs would be if state of Fingrid bought power plants near decommission and used them to offer electricity for 50c/kWh or so. The practical problem of course is how to keep the plants in working condition if they are unused most of the year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's as much or more thanks to nuclear power as well, which we should expand more for cheap and reliable energy generation.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"Just buy it" is some real MBA thinking - JIT logistics for life critical systems because it saves you some capital cost up front. Gotta keep those quarterly expenses low and just ignore all the externalized risk though. We have so many examples of this falling apart for things less valuable than electricity. What if they have none of it to sell, what if they can't get it to you, what if politically some things change in your supplying countries?

Unless you own and invest in capital assets to generate electricity, be them Solar, Wind, or Nuclear (or shamefully NG turbines) you are at the whims of the real world. Its not just a MWh number on a spreadsheet you can just move to a different column.

This is also where micro-grids start to show some of their value as you can disentangle the large scale risk for smaller less dramatic local risks.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Just build a belt of solar panels across the equator and transmit power from there.

Christ it's like none of you took the instructional engineering course Dyson Sphere Program.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
So the question about how big of a catastrophe was Friday for industry, and the answer seems to be it was a non-issue. Industry has bought electricity at fixed price. Related question is how huge profits did power companies amass during the price catastrophe, and the answer also seems to be largely not. A majority of the production has been sold way in advanced for fixed prices. On Saturday Helsingin Sanomat published an article (finnish) on the matter. As an example they used Fortum, Finland's largest(?) energy company. For the October-December 2023 period they had sold 75% of their electricity production for 5c/kWh. Of the 2024 production 65% had already been sold in last October for 4.7c/kWh. Fortum also had reported that they received an average of 6.5c/kWh for the electricity sold between January and September.

The article estimated that maybe 2GW of the production is sold at market price. Hydro power is most easily adjusted and so it's also the most valuable.

HS also published an article (finnish) discussing whether matters should be taken to curtail such excessive price spikes. In the past 20 years almost all of coal and natural gas generation has disappeared from the market due to EU carbon trading. The 1300MW transmission line to Russia was also turned off year and a half ago which had reduced adjustability. Government agenda includes idea about capacity mechanism, buying spare generation to balance peaks. The article interviews energy markets professor Honkapuro. In his opinion this kind of mechanism could be integrated in the energy markets even if it's tricky, but it would be an expensive fix a problem that doesn't exist. "If there has been enough electricity through the whole cricis and prices are low on average why would the spare capacity be needed." If the spare capacity is built we will have to pay for it in every hour. According to Honkapuro from system perspective it's preferable if the adjustment happens at consumption end. The price volatility also makes it profitable to build energy storage systems. "The principles of energy market worked as they should. When prices rise the consumption drops and balance is restored."

This adjustment was in effect on Friday. For almost the whole week electricity consumption had been close to 1GW higher than estimated. On Thursday they evened out and on Friday consumption was 1GW below estimates. Graph attached, black is consumption, red estimate. I witnessed this myself. I'm vacationing on my sister's place, a modern house equipped with heat pump and spot electricity. On Friday thermostats were turned down, floor heating off, fire place lit and any other non-drastic way to curtail in effect. As a result the consumption was about half what it had been on Monday. Friday still cost about weeks worth of electricity, but they still saved about 40€.

The article concludes with an explanation for the price volatily in Finland. We are located between two regions of price extremes. When Finland has plenty of domestic production prices are dictated by cheap Northern Sweden. When production is lacking we get prices from very expensive Baltic countries.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Making an undersea power-connector between finland and sweden is not at all representative of the problem of interconnecting europe with enough capacity that wind power can be moved to where it needs to go. There will be a need for new lines having to be made across europe, over land, over inhabited areas. These are going to be much more expensive, much more contested by the people affected too which drags out on the construction time, I've heard of new transmission lines being delayed by 20 years due to similar problems.
Moving the goal posts a bit much? I gave you a real life example showing how much cheaper expanding transmission in comparison to expanding energy production was.

quote:

Ask Texas how that worked out for them.

It is much, much, much cheaper to continue with increasing transmission than to try and achieve country-level autarky.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

DTurtle posted:

Moving the goal posts a bit much? I gave you a real life example showing how much cheaper expanding transmission in comparison to expanding energy production was.

It is much, much, much cheaper to continue with increasing transmission than to try and achieve country-level autarky.

Yes, all it takes is a neighboring country burning lignite and switchgrass and you're set when the wind stops in winter. I don't see any downsides.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pander posted:

Yes, all it takes is a neighboring country burning lignite and switchgrass and you're set when the wind stops in winter. I don't see any downsides.

No that doesn't go far enough, actually we should drop all connection between cities. And build 5 times as many coal plants as needed for the theoretical peak usage in case 4 drop out randomly.
This will protect us from the terrible danger of importing energy from a city that has a similar energy mix as us.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Almost not country in Europe is geographically large enough to have renewable energy autarky. The only way to achieve that is through fossil fuels(making you dependent on fuel imports and prices, btw)and that means we effectively abandon any hope of power sector decarbonization by ~2045 and our current climate goals. It's the political equivalent of rolling coal.

And for literally zero gain because almost no EU member is a permanent electricity exporter or importer and trade goes in both directions depending on time and weather. Even if more EU countries go insane and brexit, electricity trade will continue, just like after Brexit.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

DTurtle posted:

Even if Texas was part of the eastern interconnect there are limits on the amount of electricity that can be brought over. The real problem in Texas is that the spot price for nat gas spiked so high that companies were making more money by selling their nat gas than by running their turbines. So they shut down their turbines.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

:gary:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's not like I said each country had to be north korea or that we should shut down interconnectors, or even not keep building them. But whatever I'm done with this poo poo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Would energy autarky be a policy plank of ecofascism? I'm not entirely sure what ecofascism is, because when I first heard the term it was in the movie thread discussion of Pacific Rim and I think I don't have a very good idea of what it is; my initial impression as a younger more ignorant poster was "government throwing resources at climate change, i.e building a giant wall to try to stem the tide"; but on reflection I assume it's more about building the wall and bunkers (rich and powerful fleeing states like florida) and cutting funding for the only effective solution to the kaiju (climate change) problem (the mecha, one of which is a literal walking nuclear power plant).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Would energy autarky be a policy plank of ecofascism? I'm not entirely sure what ecofascism is, because when I first heard the term it was in the movie thread discussion of Pacific Rim and I think I don't have a very good idea of what it is; my initial impression as a younger more ignorant poster was "government throwing resources at climate change, i.e building a giant wall to try to stem the tide"; but on reflection I assume it's more about building the wall and bunkers (rich and powerful fleeing states like florida) and cutting funding for the only effective solution to the kaiju (climate change) problem (the mecha, one of which is a literal walking nuclear power plant).

I don't think ecofascism can be coherently defined, because it doesn't exist as an independent movement. If you see something arguing for ecofascism they are normally just trying to recruit greens into fascism, including the assumption that the recruits move on to normal anti-green fascism eventually. Or the opposite recruitment direction.
I have never heard of someone presenting theoretical coherent ecofascist arguments, that would imply actual goals or policies.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ecofascism means wanting to round up and put all of the brown people into death camps because you think that will save the environment

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pander posted:

You were saying?

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 7, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

VictualSquid posted:

I don't think ecofascism can be coherently defined, because it doesn't exist as an independent movement. If you see something arguing for ecofascism they are normally just trying to recruit greens into fascism, including the assumption that the recruits move on to normal anti-green fascism eventually. Or the opposite recruitment direction.
I have never heard of someone presenting theoretical coherent ecofascist arguments, that would imply actual goals or policies.

I don't think you know what ecofascism is.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

I always thought Gilead in the Handmaid's Tale was a good depiction of what ecofascism would look like. They appear as a theocracy at first, but looking closer they don't really have any churches or priests or a sophisticated religious life. Instead the authoritarian and totalitarian state is the basis of society. They strongly believe in tradition, hierarchy and militarism and despise liberalism and pluralism. And of course they are absolutely obsessed with restoring nature from human damage at any cost and to live in balance with it in a deindustrialized Luddite society.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

I always thought Gilead in the Handmaid's Tale was a good depiction of what ecofascism would look like. They appear as a theocracy at first, but looking closer they don't really have any churches or priests or a sophisticated religious life. Instead the authoritarian and totalitarian state is the basis of society. They strongly believe in tradition, hierarchy and militarism and despise liberalism and pluralism. And of course they are absolutely obsessed with restoring nature from human damage at any cost and to live in balance with it in a deindustrialized Luddite society.

So your best example of an existing ecofascist is a fictional character?
That is kinda my point, people who pretend to be ecofascists are just fascists who are experimenting with new arguments and who will be back to climate change denial in a year.

Potato Salad posted:

I don't think you know what ecofascism is.
Yes, nobody knows what ecofascism is. Because it isn't anything.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
Wasn't ecofacist a term Limbaugh invented whole cloth to demonize some environmentalists back in the early 90's?

More on topic, looks like even Maine is getting some grid scale batteries.
https://www.newscentermaine.com/art...4e-8dc598527eca
I guess the trick was tax exemptions if your site is big enough.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Not thinking of "Feminazi"?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Limbaugh liked ecofascist, too. In the US it’s usually RW talking heads reaction to something like Dupont being asked to dump slightly less bpas in school water supplies as if it is equivalent to death camps, whereas in Europe there’s like Actual Nazis living that cottagecore lifestyle for blood and soil and all that poo poo.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
One of the big figures in Finnish green movement, Pentti Linkola, had ideas that could be construed being ecofascistic. But I don't think there's really no theory around it, just kinda nihilistic ethos about things taking direct violent action for environment and general loathing of humanity that are put under the umbrella term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentti_Linkola

quote:

Linkola's views have been sometimes described as "ecofascist".[22] He believed that democracy was a mistake, saying he preferred dictatorships,[23] and only radical change can prevent ecological collapse.[5] He contended that the human populations of the world, regardless if they are developed or underdeveloped, do not deserve to survive at the expense of the biosphere as a whole.[24] In May 1994, Linkola was featured on the front page of The Wall Street Journal Europe.[25] He said he was for a radical reduction in the world population and was quoted as saying about a future world war, "If there were a button I could press, I would sacrifice myself without hesitating, if it meant millions of people would die."[26]

Linkola's writings describe in emotional detail the environmental degradation he witnessed. He dedicated his 1979 Toisinajattelijan päiväkirjasta (From the Diary of a Dissident) to German far-left militants Andreas Baader and Ulrike Meinhof, stating that "they are the signposts, not Jesus of Nazareth or Albert Schweitzer".[5] He supported acts of terrorism such as the 2004 Madrid train bombings as he viewed them as disruptions to a society that is responsible for the degradation of the Earth. When asked in 2007 why he had not himself become a terrorist, Linkola said that he lacked the ability and bravery.

Glah fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 8, 2024

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i'm starting to think arguing about what is and isnt ecofacism is going to be like d&d libertarianism in the 200X's

we could just skip to the part where we go 'oh its just republicans again' like the boringly obvious scooby do episode it will be

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
We need to determine important questions such as was Nausicaä of the valley of the wind (the manga version) an ecofascist?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I think that we can move on?

Anyway, in other news:

As nuclear debate nears, French minister sees potential for 14 new reactors
https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy-environment/news/as-nuclear-debate-nears-french-minister-sees-potential-for-14-new-reactors/

quote:

France requires more than the six new nuclear plants currently planned and possibly needs to build more than 14 new plants, its energy minister said, just days before a parliamentary debate begins on the issue.

Speaking to weekly newspaper La Tribune Dimanche, Energy Transition Minister AgnèsEPR Pannier-Runacher said it was vital to build more nuclear reactors and increase France’s renewable energy mix to reduce the country’s dependence on fossil fuels to 40% from 60% by 2035.

“We need nuclear power beyond the first six EPRs (European Pressurised Reactors) since the existing (nuclear) park will not be eternal,” Pannier-Runacher said, adding that post-2026 additional needs would be equivalent to 13 gigawatts corresponding to eight EPRs.

President Emmanuel Macron in 2022 placed nuclear power at the heart of his country’s drive for carbon neutrality by 2050, announcing the construction of six new European Pressurised Reactor reactors and studies for a further eight reactors.

The new plants are to be built and operated by state-controlled energy provider EDF with tens of billions of euros in public financing mobilized to finance the projects and safeguard EDF’s finances.

The new energy strategy must be codified into law and is set to be debated in parliament from late January.

Pannier-Runacher said going beyond 14 EPRs would be a “good subject for discussion with lawmakers”, while repeating that renewable energy capacity also needed to be ramped up massively.

Macron’s decision to extend the lifespan of existing nuclear plants to more than 50 years from 40 years for certain reactors marked a U-turn on an earlier pledge to close more than a dozen of EDF’s 56 reactors by 2035.

He has also promised to accelerate the development of solar and offshore wind power.
---

Germany adds 17GW of renewables in 2023 amid wind recovery and solar boom
https://archive.is/cJtaw#selection-841.3-841.77

quote:

Soaring volume of onshore wind permits bodes well for expansion in coming years, federal grids agency says

Germany has added 17GW of new renewable energy capacity last year, a 12% increase from 2022 that was driven by a boom in new solar installations and a recovery in wind additions, the federal networks agency (BNetzA) said.

That brought the cumulated green energy capacity in Europe’s largest economy to about 170GW.

“We have taken a big step forward, above all when it comes to adding photovoltaic installations. Additions have almost doubled from the previous year,” BNetzA president Klaus Müller said.

“These investments are further advancing the energy transition – last year, for the first time, Germany generated more than half of its electricity from renewable energies.

“When it comes to onshore wind, we are not yet where we want to be. What makes me optimistic is that significantly more permits were issued in 2023. This will pay off in increasing numbers of new additions.”

Onshore wind additions rose to net 2.9GW (decommissioned installations are already subtracted) last year, according to preliminary figures from the BNetzA’s market data register.

That is up from 2.14GW in net onshore installations added in 2022, according to figures released by the German Wind Power Federation (BWE), which will publish its results for 2023 next week.

Germany’s cumulated wind power capacity on land reached 60.9GW last year, according to the BNetzA data.

Last year, permits for onshore wind installations increased by 80% to some 8GW, which are expected to be installed in coming years, the agency said.

In offshore wind, only 0.3GW were added last year, all coming from Parkwind's Arcadis Ost array in the Baltic Sea, bringing the country’s cumulative offshore wind capacity to 8.5GW.

In solar power, a record 14.1GW were added, according to the BNetzA. Germany’s solar industry federation (BSW) last week had already announced that about 14GW were installed in 2023. That brought the cumulated solar capacity to 81.7GW. Biomass capacity rose by 0.12GW last year to a cumulated capacity of 9GW.

Figures from January through November 2023 came from registered installations, while the BNetzA estimated the data for December 2023.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Glah posted:

One of the big figures in Finnish green movement, Pentti Linkola, had ideas that could be construed being ecofascistic.

Paul Erlich definitely qualifies. Advocate of compulsory mass sterilization, primarily of brown people.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dante80 posted:

I think that we can move on?

---

Germany adds 17GW of renewables in 2023 amid wind recovery and solar boom
https://archive.is/cJtaw#selection-841.3-841.77

Hey let's check how things are going

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
“Water pipes offer a largely untapped source of renewable electricity that could provide 1.4 gigawatts of power in the US alone“

“The excess pressure in water pipes can be used to spin miniature hydroelectric turbines, providing an underutilised source of clean energy”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

mobby_6kl posted:

Hey let's check how things are going

People itt using cherry picked values to own the libs Germany will never stop being hilarious :allears:

Germany has had the lowest energy intensity on electricity production in the last, well, ever, appart from 2020. Renewable energy production increased by 7,5% from 2022, and convential production was reduced by a whopping 24%. This is due to a reduction in industrial activity, increased electricity imports and an increase in renewable energies. France was the biggest taker of german energy exports and Denmark the biggest supplier. There was a net import surpluss of 10 TWh, mostly due to renewable energies and french nuclear being cheaper than the sucky coal and gas plants still in use, which is a good development.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
read an article about how Gd, Pr, and Eu ions can be used to absorb UV light and convert it to visible light.

this phenomena can be used to increase efficiency of solar panels

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Son of Rodney posted:

People itt using cherry picked values to own the libs Germany will never stop being hilarious :allears:

Germany has had the lowest energy intensity on electricity production in the last, well, ever, appart from 2020. Renewable energy production increased by 7,5% from 2022, and convential production was reduced by a whopping 24%. This is due to a reduction in industrial activity, increased electricity imports and an increase in renewable energies. France was the biggest taker of german energy exports and Denmark the biggest supplier. There was a net import surpluss of 10 TWh, mostly due to renewable energies and french nuclear being cheaper than the sucky coal and gas plants still in use, which is a good development.

just imagine if Germany utilised its wealth, technical and industrial base to install low carbon generation three decades ago, might have g/kwhr numbers approaching those of anti-green French. Saying they are doing better with wind and solar given their location and circumstances is missing the wood (pellets heh) for the trees. And a lot of the hate on Germany is not just because they are all NIMBY on nuclear now, it is because they are also generally the preachiest of EU nations on what other nations should do up to and including opposing counting nuclear as the low carbon generation that it is (mainly because one of the big arguments against nuclear is that it is too expensive and doesn't work all the while France has been running reasonably economical-price, low-carbon power since the '70's for the majority of their grid).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You can find the average for 2023 on the site and it's 441g then.
https://app.electricitymaps.com/zone/DE

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

Seeing how almost every commercial and residential building around me is now hastily slapping PV modules on their roof makes me wonder how much that affects official power consumption statistics. I assume to grid operators the installation of the modules would seem like a simple decrease in demand from factories and office buildings and they don't have access to anything more detailed than what capacity was installed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Rodney posted:

Not cherrypicked, that's just what it was when I saw the post and went to see how things are going. You can see the date in the screenshot. It's only a bit better today too.

It's worse than the average of 441g but it has to be sometimes. For comparison, Czech Republic is averaging about 500g for the last 5 years or so

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

now do the rest of the g7 or oecd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
4 of the G7 are visible on that map, but 2023 averages were:
France: 51g
GB: 214
Italy: 377