Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mystes posted:

the second best time to learn is now. but wear a helmet and pads.

100% agreed.
Wear all the drat protection you can, and try to learn how to fall softly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/kapLHNK.mp4

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Pookah posted:

Also it absolutely warms my heart to see all the late teen girls rollerskating around my town in the absolute pinnacle of bootskate technology - the simple white classic.

There’s a looping ad at the little shop at our local rink for CRAZY SKATES, with all the CRAZIEST FEATURES…like…A TOE BRake…and…A HARD FOOT PLATFORM. It’s really funny, they’re just, like, skates. With skate features. Not even the cool under carriage glowy lights!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

When they were planning this video the director asked for a cost estimate of building a set on a hydraulic floor so it could tilt and make everything slide around, and after they were told it would cost a quarter of a million pounds one of the crew said "why not just put it on wheels?"

So you've got the director shouting out "NORTH! NORTH! EAST! WEST! STOP! TURN!" over a megaphone to a dozen sweating stagehands as they push it around while Jay Kay dances and lipsyncs inside

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dad game: S Tier

https://i.imgur.com/WghISgJ.mp4

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"size BOAT"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

That's an excellent dad

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/shouldhaveanima/status/1743608664382992551

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Good dad. I have to ask though, I've seen a few people use S-tier to mean good. Why?

I assumed S was poo poo but people seem to use it to imply better than A?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ReelBigLizard posted:

I assumed S was poo poo but people seem to use it to imply better than A?

quote:

'S' tier may stand for "Special", "Super", or the Japanese word for "Exemplary" (秀, shū), and originates from the widespread use in Japanese culture of an 'S' grade for advertising and academic grading.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_list

It used to be a Twitch thing but has also spread to Youtube and elsewhere online since

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
S Tier is a thing in Japanese games, it's the highest possible grade, above A+.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Should have known it was weeb poo poo lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ReelBigLizard posted:

weeb poo poo lol

I've always wondered how the creator of the Perry Bible Fellowship comic felt about his widest, most long lasting contribution to internet culture coming about via 4chan meme-ifying a random made up word from one of his strips and practically turning it into a slur, lol

(Apparently 4chan posters used to use the word "wapanese" to refer to "white Japanese" nerds all the time and the admins eventually added a word filter to swap it out for 'weeaboo', and it ended up spreading from there)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 7, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ReelBigLizard posted:

Should have known it was weeb poo poo lol

and now it's everywhere

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Funny vid. I wish dads were real

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
S tier was in Metal Gear Solid 5, too.

That, and Tier Zoo is how I know about S tier. It's not just weeb poo poo anymore.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think I first saw it in Devil May Cry's fight-rankings. Dunno how weeb poo poo that is because on the on hand, made in Japan, but it's not like it was a subtitles-only import.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Look I'm certainly no expert but I have very strong suspicions that Hideo Kojima's メタルギア (Metaru Gia) and Hideki Kamiya's デビル メイ クライ (Debiru Mei Kurai) might possibly be weeb poo poo

E: just in case this discussion does not spark joy, have a pony
https://i.imgur.com/VA8OpZN.mp4

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 7, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Elfface posted:

I think I first saw it in Devil May Cry's fight-rankings. Dunno how weeb poo poo that is because on the on hand, made in Japan, but it's not like it was a subtitles-only import.

:same:

also I think that was the game that taught me that Japan cares a lot about blood type

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Now I see why Bill the Pony wasn’t in the movie, he would have absolutely stolen Shadowfax’s thunder.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

E: just in case this discussion does not spark joy, have a pony
https://i.imgur.com/VA8OpZN.mp4

That’s not a pony; it’s a tiny Percheron war-horse

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're such majestic creatures

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lil' Sebastián

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have a theory that all horses have the same innate 'quantity' of pepperiness, so tiny horses are extremely peppery, while draft horses are extremely mild.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

T = P/V

Where T is Temperament, P is pepperiness, and V is volume

The Ideal Horse Law assumes standard temperature and pressure, and that all horses are perfect spheres.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Pookah posted:

I have a theory that all horses have the same innate 'quantity' of pepperiness, so tiny horses are extremely peppery, while draft horses are extremely mild.

I have the same theory about pepper plants, so it must be true.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You have to tune your horse properly to be a well tempered chevalier

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mystes posted:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Uganda Loves Me posted:

T = P/V

Where T is Temperament, P is pepperiness, and V is volume

The Ideal Horse Law assumes standard temperature and pressure, and that all horses are perfect spheres.

I am so proud that my guess has such a solid scientific basis.

mystes posted:

You take that bach!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Put em up put em uuuup

https://i.imgur.com/FEvw5TK.mp4

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
bill was in the movie

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Look I'm certainly no expert but I have very strong suspicions that Hideo Kojima's メタルギア (Metaru Gia) and Hideki Kamiya's デビル メイ クライ (Debiru Mei Kurai) might possibly be weeb poo poo

No, they are in fact very successful videogame franchises that happen to come from Japan. As a matter of fact, lots of your favourite videogames and video game consoles come from Japan. For instance: did you know that Nintendo is actually a Japanese company?

Their popularity is not limited to people obsessed with Japan.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just smile and nod whenever someone calls widespread and common stuff "weeb poo poo" just because it's from Japan, it just means they're old and that's okay.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Yoda4ever/status/1743639178934428061

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

S Tier is a thing in Japanese games, it's the highest possible grade, above A+.

it comes from japanese school grading. it's just an abbreviation for excellent

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Buce posted:

it comes from japanese school grading. it's just an abbreviation for excellent

No, it comes from video games and also airline safety ratings.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Runa posted:

I just smile and nod whenever someone calls widespread and common stuff "weeb poo poo" just because it's from Japan, it just means they're old and that's okay.

Imagining my boomer parents saying "weeb poo poo"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Dunno my boomers were talking about furries putting litter boxes in schools and "sniper, what's etsy?" so it's possible they'll hear about weebs eventually, probably after it's fully archaic

mystes
May 31, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Dunno my boomers were talking about furries putting litter boxes in schools and "sniper, what's etsy?" so it's possible they'll hear about weebs eventually, probably after it's fully archaic
I guess unfortunately they'll learn the word "weeb" as soon as it's used as part of a right wing disinformation campaign then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Oh no they're liberal-liberals. So weeb is probably way too old of a term to end up on the type of poo poo they watch, but too new & esoteric for them to organically know of it.