Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cruft posted:

We're talking about L3 charging being limited to 50kW. L2 is the same on a Bolt as it is on a Tesla.

I drove a Kona EV for about 6 months exclusively on fast charging (that someone else paid for), and out of all those trips I only saw the charge rate go above 50 kW maybe 2 times (and that was like 55 kW). It was fine, would have preferred the full advertised rate though (supposedly 100 kW on the 65 kWh model that I was driving)

Anyway the Bolt seems cool, even with limited fast charging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DoubleT2172 posted:

Just quoting this to agree and say there are at least two of us that want this

I’ll raise my hand for that, too, but I’d like to be able to put in a CarPlay capable head unit, please. That and the rear camera that tends to go with them is very handy.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Elviscat posted:

Something like a Lightening or Cybertruck might benefit from more though, since apparently the Cybertruck burns through its entire 123kWh battery in 254 highway miles in 45 degree "winter" weather, making it about 60% as efficient as my Bolt (which isn't surprising).

Woof.

You could make 2 nice 250m range electric cars for every cybertruck worth of material.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

QuarkJets posted:

I drove a Kona EV for about 6 months exclusively on fast charging (that someone else paid for), and out of all those trips I only saw the charge rate go above 50 kW maybe 2 times (and that was like 55 kW). It was fine, would have preferred the full advertised rate though (supposedly 100 kW on the 65 kWh model that I was driving)

In order to hit the max charge rate, you probably needed to convince the vehicle to precondition the battery from like 30 minutes in advance and then arrive at the charger with ~5% SoC. If you were just hopping in at 20% SoC and driving to a DCFC that was a few blocks away to top up once or twice a week, I could see neither of those being particularly achievable so it makes sense.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It befuddles me that EVs don’t have a preconditioning button. If you don’t use the car’s onboard mapping system my understanding is they don’t precondition the battery. How does this make sense for the EVs where everyone’s just using CarPlay?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vegetable posted:

It befuddles me that EVs don’t have a preconditioning button. If you don’t use the car’s onboard mapping system my understanding is they don’t precondition the battery. How does this make sense for the EVs where everyone’s just using CarPlay?

Welcome to Stellantis EVs, where there is no preconditioning at all and the onboard navigation just consider the charging stations an extra POI category. Also carplay doesn't get charging info from the car for extra spite.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Both BMW and Tesla preconditions automatically if you next way point is a DCFC. Not sure how this is so hard for other manufacturers.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Wibla posted:

Both BMW and Tesla preconditions automatically if you next way point is a DCFC. Not sure how this is so hard for other manufacturers.

Stellantis NAV suite is just TomTom running on the tablet, they don't have a bespoke suite as BMW or Tesla. I'm really more crossed at CarPlay not receiving charge data than the missing precondition.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wibla posted:

They often do, just not when you’re using your phone for navigation.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Stellantis NAV suite is just TomTom running on the tablet, they don't have a bespoke suite as BMW or Tesla. I'm really more crossed at CarPlay not receiving charge data than the missing precondition.

This is dumb, but I guess if everyone is planning on not using it in 3 years, why invest in improvements?

In related news, I recently discovered that streaming services can now cost $80/month and come as bundles, just like cable.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Wibla posted:

The last couple of OTA updates for the MachE included preconditioning ~20 miles away to a DCFC, as long as the next waypoint is a charging station.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Vegetable posted:

Some do, I know the EV9 does for example.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Indiana_Krom posted:

In order to hit the max charge rate, you probably needed to convince the vehicle to precondition the battery from like 30 minutes in advance and then arrive at the charger with ~5% SoC. If you were just hopping in at 20% SoC and driving to a DCFC that was a few blocks away to top up once or twice a week, I could see neither of those being particularly achievable so it makes sense.

I was typically driving 30 minutes or more prior to charging, but no idea if the vehicle was bothering to precondition the battery or not - the rest of Hyundai's software is pretty bogus so it wouldn't surprise me if this just wasn't working right

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

QuarkJets posted:

Was it really cold or something?

My original Ioniq doesn't have any form of battery conditioning (or even maps) and also has a tiny battery but will reliably charge at just under 70kW up to a little over 80%

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Test drove a bolt 2020 but the steering was wack and the brakes were a bit mushy. Like the car so hopefully the former is just from lower pressure, and they said they're gonna put in some new tires and breaks. we'll see then ig

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

Test drove a bolt 2020 but the steering was wack and the brakes were a bit mushy. Like the car so hopefully the former is just from lower pressure, and they said they're gonna put in some new tires and breaks. we'll see then ig

Putting air in the tires, I get.

Replacing the brakes? Uhhhhh...

EV's typically go through brakes slowly. I've got a 2017 LEAF, a 2019 Model 3, and a 2019 Bolt, none of them are even close to needing new brakes. If you're looking at a Bolt that needs new brake pads, I'd take that as a warning that the car has been driven hard, and maybe other parts are failing too. You could poke your head under the bottom and look for leaking shocks/struts, just as a quick check, but before you buy it, you need to pay a mechanic you trust to check it over. I bet they're going to find other problems.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 6, 2024

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Maybe it needs a brake fluid change

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Our 2023 bolt seemed to have rather soft brakes, at least compared to our 2015 leaf. It seems like you have to push the pedal down a lot further to actually stop the car than on our older car. I'm not sure if that's just some difference between manufacturers or what but we've gotten used to it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Isn't it a problem where if you rely completely on one-pedal driving then your brakes can actually freeze up over time since they aren't used?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I mean maybe if you drive 35MPH everywhere and take 1500 feet to stop. EV brakes do get used, but just way, way less than gas cars. I wonder if anyone has numbers.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Squibbles posted:

Our 2023 bolt seemed to have rather soft brakes, at least compared to our 2015 leaf. It seems like you have to push the pedal down a lot further to actually stop the car than on our older car. I'm not sure if that's just some difference between manufacturers or what but we've gotten used to it

If it's beeping and blinking the collision warning, though, the brakes feel like they hit 90% power after 1cm of pedal activation.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Chronojam posted:

If it's beeping and blinking the collision warning, though, the brakes feel like they hit 90% power after 1cm of pedal activation.

Haven't noticed that but what is I assume the lane guidance(?) will sometimes make the wheel extremely easy or hard to turn in one direction or the other. like sometimes when entering a corner it will suddenly become very easy to steer into the corner but only for a moment. It's very weird feeling and I still haven't gotten used to it since it seems to be extremely inconsistent and I don't know if the system is just weird or if there's variables like speed or line visibility that I am not noticing that affect it more.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My car has backup auto brakes if it detects anything behind and it is just instant stop all calipers slam full force and it scares the beejeezus out of me. I had it their morn while backing out of the garage and I assume it was some water going over the rear ultrasonic sensor or something because it was totally clear behind me. Better wake up than coffee tho!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

My car has backup auto brakes if it detects anything behind

I thought "backup" here meant it was a secondary system in case the primary failed, and I was thinking this sounds like the perfect solution for tailgaters.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

priznat posted:

My car has backup auto brakes if it detects anything behind and it is just instant stop all calipers slam full force and it scares the beejeezus out of me. I had it their morn while backing out of the garage and I assume it was some water going over the rear ultrasonic sensor or something because it was totally clear behind me. Better wake up than coffee tho!

The ID.4's auto braking is nuts, it no poo poo feels like being rear-ended at low speed.

It likes to trigger on a tiny tuft of grass near where we back in to the EVSE, nearly pissed myself the first time it happened.

Squibbles posted:

Haven't noticed that but what is I assume the lane guidance(?) will sometimes make the wheel extremely easy or hard to turn in one direction or the other. like sometimes when entering a corner it will suddenly become very easy to steer into the corner but only for a moment. It's very weird feeling and I still haven't gotten used to it since it seems to be extremely inconsistent and I don't know if the system is just weird or if there's variables like speed or line visibility that I am not noticing that affect it more.

I like the LKA now, but man it took some getting used to, if you don't know what's going on it feels like the car's steering is all weird and hosed up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just picked up a 2022 Bolt EUV, (pics will be incoming) and can confirm that the breaks feel a lot softer (gotta press a lot harder) compared to my Chevy Spark or other vehicles I've driven over the years.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

cruft posted:

I mean maybe if you drive 35MPH everywhere and take 1500 feet to stop. EV brakes do get used, but just way, way less than gas cars. I wonder if anyone has numbers.

Last summer a Finnish car magazine had a comparison between BMW i7, MB EQS and Tesla Model S. In the 100km/h to 0 braking test the BMW initially produced and awful result of 48 meters, IIRC, almost two car lengths worse than expected. Later the brakes started working normally so they assumed they were too rusted.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Elviscat posted:

The ID.4's auto braking is nuts, it no poo poo feels like being rear-ended at low speed.

It likes to trigger on a tiny tuft of grass near where we back in to the EVSE, nearly pissed myself the first time it happened.

Yeah I thought I hit a pole or something the stop was so violent. There is a message in the driver console saying that the auto brake went off so at least you know, lol. They added that in the last OTA update as it did it before and didn’t have the notification so it resulted in me getting out and trying to figure out what it was I hit before realizing it was the auto braking. BOOM it just engages like a shotgun blast.

The LKA on the Volvo is very subtle I have noticed and mostly just keeps you from going over a line (mostly just slight tug and buzzes the wheel but still lets you do it) if you didn’t signal a lane change. I don’t have a lot of opportunity to use the lka & adaptive cruise as the one big freeway in Greater Vancouver is always pretty wild and it’s better to just keep it manual imo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

Pretty sure they get applied at every stop because you’re not being held in place with regen.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

This is why I don't want to buy auto insurance from Tesla. So many false alarms. It especially goes nuts with the lane departure warning/takeover when I'm trying to avoid a pothole. I had to set the forward collision warning to 'late' because it was always thinking I'm about to rear-end someone when in truth I'm waaay back.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This is why I don't want to buy auto insurance from Tesla. So many false alarms. It especially goes nuts with the lane departure warning/takeover when I'm trying to avoid a pothole. I had to set the forward collision warning to 'late' because it was always thinking I'm about to rear-end someone when in truth I'm waaay back.

I briefly considered it because it was slightly cheaper than my current one. But then I factored in the savings I got from bundling my home insurance and the whole false positives and it became a hard no for me as well

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Elviscat posted:

I like the LKA now, but man it took some getting used to, if you don't know what's going on it feels like the car's steering is all weird and hosed up.

Yeah I still haven't figured out what is going on with the LKA. From our house to the local shopping area is about a 10 minute drive along a road where you drive 35-45mph and I've experimented quite a bit to try to figure out any rhyme or reason to when it kicks in and I still haven't figured it out. Maybe it only activates above a certain speed or something because it seems like when I'm intentionally doing something like getting close to the centre line by not turning as I enter a corner or drifting toward the line while on a straight I never seem to feel the system kick in at all. But sometimes I feel it kick in when starting a totally normal turn where I'm already centred in the lane suddenly the wheel has no resistance and it feels like I could really easily oversteer if I kept constant tension on the wheel.

fake edit: https://www.chevrolet.com/support/vehicle/driving-safety/driver-assistance/lane-keep-assist-departure-warning

I didn't realize it does just give nudges and isn't intended to do more than that. That makes a bit more sense

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It should turn off when you use your turn signal too.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I don't get that, I have mine set to 'early' and its only ever gone off like once when someone was stopping abruptly to turn in front of me.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
It seems that according to the latest rumors, Tesla's Shanghai factory is going to shut down over the Chinese New Year holiday to retool for limited production of the Project Juniper Model Y. For anyone thinking of buying one and wondering if the redesigned model would be worth waiting for, being able to see the final design relatively soon would be helpful in making an informed decision.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Maybe it needs a brake fluid change

After only three or four years? That shouldn't happen either.

Reminds me of how Nissan specifies that the Leaf have its brake fluid changed every 15,000 miles. When questioned, a Nissan representative claimed that it's related to the regenerative braking system, but couldn't elaborate further (which is complete bullshit seeing as the regen brake means less work for the hydraulic brakes):

https://insideevs.com/news/322861/exclusive-heres-why-nissan-recommends-changing-leaf-brake-fluid-annually/

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 7, 2024

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Something I realized after I'd gotten home with the Bolt EUV: it doesn't have a front license holder. It came from Ohio which doesn't require a front license plate but I live in a state that does require a front license plate. I've been able to find the GM part number for the front license plate bracket which is about $20, but wondering if anybody knows what kind of screws I would need for that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FISHMANPET posted:

Something I realized after I'd gotten home with the Bolt EUV: it doesn't have a front license holder. It came from Ohio which doesn't require a front license plate but I live in a state that does require a front license plate. I've been able to find the GM part number for the front license plate bracket which is about $20, but wondering if anybody knows what kind of screws I would need for that?

wood screws, duh

(do not use wood screws, checking online it looks like GM Part 95429704 comes with its own set of mounting hardware)

https://www.gmpartswarehouse.com/oe...A0aAqDdEALw_wcB

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rivets are an interesting choice. When I put my front bracket on it came with jack nuts.

https://store.delorean.com/108937a-jack-nut.html

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
At least here in California I think the dealer is required to give you a front license plate holder, even if the car did not come with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Indiana_Krom posted:

I don't get that, I have mine set to 'early' and its only ever gone off like once when someone was stopping abruptly to turn in front of me.

It might not be anything, but since the “holiday update” this year (for which my Model 3 is old enough now that the only significant changes were the light show bullshit and the autopilot driver attentiveness recall), I’ve had three similar incidents where it’s gone off in a situation that I thought was unwarranted.