Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Did Bartiromo have a moment of clarity?

Not giving her rummy rear end credit but that's approaching an actual questioning.

Snipe tax

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Drone image of the tornado

There's a hill in the foreground, obviously fake, florida's highest point is like 700 feet

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF3YNPG4Cis

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Being charged with contempt because you turn your homework in on time

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Hutz seems more capable than these clowns.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Waffle House posted:

Being charged with contempt because you turn your homework in on time

Many such cases!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Do they have to elect a speaker before they can confirm the EC votes? because lol

No, the previous VP presides over the joint session, and if he or she's unavailable it's the senate pro-tem. This was the whole thing with can Pence do anything (No, they just sort of run the procedures, they have no role in the decisions). And then also the whole thing where Grassley (Senate pro-tem) didn't "expect Pence to be there" aka he knew about the Jan 6 plans ahead of time, but like the other GOP reps and senators involved, will never be held accountable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t see the republicans not confirming the ECs because there is very little benefit to doing it. There is reason to say you won’t as long as trump is a thing but if he loses what exactly will you get?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
trump will pardon them in 2028!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Rescue Toaster posted:

No, the previous VP presides over the joint session, and if he or she's unavailable it's the senate pro-tem. This was the whole thing with can Pence do anything (No, they just sort of run the procedures, they have no role in the decisions). And then also the whole thing where Grassley (Senate pro-tem) didn't "expect Pence to be there" aka he knew about the Jan 6 plans ahead of time, but like the other GOP reps and senators involved, will never be held accountable.

Oh that makes sense, thank you for the explanation! I can't remember if I knew that before, because this last year has taught me a lot about the election of the Speaker.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t see the republicans not confirming the ECs because there is very little benefit to doing it. There is reason to say you won’t as long as trump is a thing but if he loses what exactly will you get?

I mean, if they pull it off, their guy gets put into power, and they don't get murdered by chuds. I can see that being a strong motivator.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Do you think they'll hang Pence next January 6th?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

They would install Trump as president if a GOP house refuses to certify the EC vote. Without a valid EC vote, it goes to the house but they get only one vote per state, not per representative.

In case you weren't sure. Yes, it really does just take a simple majority vote in the new house for a GOP house to reject the EC votes and get whatever president they want and nullify the entire election. The only thing stopping them would be the sense of decorum/duty of the handful of moderate representatives left.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Oh that makes sense, thank you for the explanation! I can't remember if I knew that before, because this last year has taught me a lot about the election of the Speaker.

I mean, if they pull it off, their guy gets put into power, and they don't get murdered by chuds. I can see that being a strong motivator.

I could see that working for 2020 when trump was sitting president but as the challenger your going to need a lot more than that to get in

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

It's really weird.

I still have to wonder if there was some kind of mega-ironclad NDA that Trump made the entire GOP sign that bound their souls for life because the lockstep they have all been in is loving eerie

Nope, it's just this: Der Fuhrerprinzip

THE LEADER KNOWS AND THE LEADER HAS ALWAYS KNOWN FOLLOW THE LEADER

This poo poo is why the Me-262 ended up as a bomber. I know all those ivory tower "aerospace engineers" and "physicists" and "pilots" say it would be better as a pure fighter, but THE LEADER SEES A BOMBER so a bomber it is!

I know you may think magnets work when wet but... let's see what THE LEADER has to say about this!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Republican's doing that would basically be the end of our democracy. It's not going to happen.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Just a reminder, Jordan was subpoenaed to give a deposition by the Jan. 6 committee and defied it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Trump as leader of the Turd Reich would be wild because he'd speed (lol) run to Furherbunker suicide real quick. Can you imagine him having direct control over the military and their tech/strategies?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That’s also not even remotely how the procedure works. Refusing to certify the election doesn’t magically give the decision on next president to the House. That leap of logic is big enough to trap a tank.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jim Jordan getting sanctimonious about bullshit he's actively done is one of the most infuriating things in the current US Government.
Dude could never even get close to the speakership. He stochastically terrorized his Republican colleagues, and had multiple screaming fits behind closed doors (also in front of all his Republican colleagues), all so he could lose to Mike loving Johnson, the guy who doesn't report his income because he gives all his money to his pastor.
The skeletons in that closet are, for lack of a better metaphor,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVjk5nrb_lI

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

It's really weird.

I still have to wonder if there was some kind of mega-ironclad NDA that Trump made the entire GOP sign that bound their souls for life because the lockstep they have all been in is loving eerie

Not really, you have to remember that Trump only came to prominence because all the GOP already there hated each other so much that they wouldn't vouch for each other to be a candidate for election.
They are secretly trying to get him to leave, but can't say anything otherwise the death threats and chud-poo poo insanes start throwing their own poo poo at them.
Of course there are the TRUE BELIEVERS like Greene and Boebert, but they always flame out in a spiral of poo poo.

Its easier to stay of the grift train that is US politics if you keep your head down, vote with the herd, and don't make eye contact with the train driver or conductor.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grouchio posted:

To clarify, you mean 'oh just fill out this vetting form that will totally get us the people we need' or something else?

Yeah, the vetting forum means only psychotic true believers will get on the program. When trump tried his dumb rear end purges near the end last time. The system told these people to go gently caress themselves and isolated them.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Not even. The Bush/McCain/Romney Republican Party is dead. Their only chance at winning anymore is Trump. It’s 100% cult of personality, after him there is no successor.

There’s a chunk of voters who used to vote Republican who don’t anymore after Trump. There’s a chunk of voters that only vote when Trump is on the ballot.

When Trump’s on the ballot, they get 2020. When Trump’s not on the ballot, they get 2022 and 2023. It’s a real no-win situation, made worse by the fact that they offer nothing to young people (now meaning, like, under 40), so every year it gets worse and worse as more Boomers and older die off.

Their only strat now is getting non-Republican voters to stay home or vote third party. That’s why there’s this effort to convince everyone that Biden is just as corrupt and self-dealing as Trump, and why there’s more third party candidates running than ever (RFK, Green, plus No Labels). It’s an all-out smash and grab at this point. It sucks that Biden has real vulnerabilities, too (age, I/P, inflation (prices will not go down even though inflation has slowed down)).

Yeah, Haley is the last stand for that wing. I think a bunch were hoping for desantis but him being a dumbass charisma vacuum AND a weird morality police bigot kinda hosed him. Haley is already doomed because she is giving a bunch of awful answers to questions for moderates.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Hollismason posted:

The Republican's doing that would basically be the end of our democracy. It's not going to happen.

I mean I certainly would like to believe they don't have enough nutjobs to do something like that yet. The biggest argument is that the GOP members knew the objections would not work, and were just doing it to posture and show support for Trump. It's a lot easier to vote for something totally insane if you know won't pass, but harder to do it if it could actually, you know, completely upend democracy.

I just am sick of having to rely on the decorum of a handful of moderates for things like, even having elections.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MrQwerty posted:

Jim Jordan getting sanctimonious about bullshit he's actively done is one of the most infuriating things in the current US Government.
Dude could never even get close to the speakership. He stochastically terrorized his Republican colleagues, and had multiple screaming fits behind closed doors (also in front of all his Republican colleagues), all so he could lose to Mike loving Johnson, the guy who doesn't report his income because he gives all his money to his pastor.
The skeletons in that closet are, for lack of a better metaphor,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVjk5nrb_lI

It’s less skeletons and poo poo and more everyone hates the guy but he has enough pull to get away with a lot because the freedom chudcus.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Grey Cat posted:

The only crime hunter was charged with was owning a deadly weapon while high.
(the deadly weapon was his hog)

Hunter’s hog killed Ashlee Babbitt

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s less skeletons and poo poo and more everyone hates the guy but he has enough pull to get away with a lot because the freedom chudcus.

oh it's skeletons, too.
Dude's a sweaty, dweeby rear end in a top hat who tries to bully everyone, though; that's very true. Scott Steiner would be a better, more effective Senator. At least people would actually be scared of Steiner.

:lol: Liz Cheney telling Jim Jordan, "Get away from me, you loving did this." while he tried to comfort the womenfolk on J6.
Making me feel any kind of positive feelings or sympathy toward a member of Richard Cheney's family is, personally, the greatest crime Jim Jordan ever committed.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 7, 2024

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Froghammer posted:

"Contempt of Trump" is going to be code for "getting shot in the head" in like three years

Getting real “killed while trying to escape” vibes from it yeah.

I hope the next target for the crazy chud Qanon crowd turns out to be a master troll up for the task. Like, buying a closed pizzeria in Benghazi sort of thing, just to drive them crazy.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 7, 2024

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
It's a cult.

Stop over thinking it.

It's a cult.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Ok so Trump has sleep apnea. Thanks for disclosing his health problems.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

It's a cult.

Stop over thinking it.

It's a cult.

It's not a cult! It's a personal relationship with Donald J. Trump in your heart

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

At this point the GOP is filled with people who actually are truly evil.

They know trump is lying.

They know they are lying.

They want to throw people in jail for fun because of how jan 6 went for them.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Escape From Noise posted:

Single. Biggest. Political. Event. EVER!

The forgotten men and women remembered again like NEVER BEFORE!

Sir, this is a middle school gymnasium in Clinton, Iowa.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

lol

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Does any other thread make as much money as the Trump thread? The thing's only a day old and that spammer already spent 40 bucks.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
https://www.thedailybeast.com/lauren-boeberts-ex-husband-jayson-called-the-cops-after-physical-fight-in-public

heres a new Bobort article in the Daily Beast if you guys wanna check it out, I don't know how people feel about that publication here

On Saturday night, three years to the day after supporters of Donald Trump attacked the U.S. Capitol building, election objecting Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) is the subject of an active police investigation into an alleged physical altercation with her ex-husband, Jayson Boebert, at a restaurant in her district Saturday night.

The Silt Police Department confirmed an “active investigation” in a phone call Saturday night, but would not comment further. A Boebert aide told The Daily Beast that no one was arrested.

According to the aide, on Saturday, Jayson Boebert had called the police to the Miner’s Claim restaurant in Silt, claiming that he was a “victim of domestic violence.” The aide emphasized that Lauren Boebert denies any allegation of domestic violence on her part, and that the events as depicted in social media posts on Saturday were not accurate.

An anti-Boebert super PAC called “American Muckrakers” first publicized the rumor of the incident Saturday night, in eye-popping posts on X, formerly Twitter. While The Daily Beast has not been able to verify all of the specific claims contained in those posts, on Saturday night the Boebert aide provided more detail about the events, as Boebert had described them.

In the early evening on Saturday, the aide said, it was already getting physical. Lauren Boebert had driven to her ex-husband’s house to pick up one of her sons for dinner at her mother’s house. Jayson Boebert was home, the aide said, and as Lauren Boebert and her son were leaving for the car, he tried to move in close to hug her; she put her hand on his chest to keep him back, the aide said.

When Jayson Boebert called later that evening to apologize, he asked if they could meet in person. Lauren Boebert agreed; however, the aide said, she wanted to go to a public place, anticipating that—especially given the alleged behavior earlier that day—he might be confrontational. The congresswoman “didn’t want it to be he said/she said” situation, the aide said.

They chose to meet at Miner’s Claim, a restaurant in Boebert’s small hometown of Silt. (Miner’s Claim is, apparently, the only game left in town, now that the Boeberts have closed their old restaurant, Shooter’s.)

Inside, at the table, Jayson Boebert apparently started “being disrespectful,” “being an rear end in a top hat,” and getting “lewd,” the aide relayed. The alleged behavior revolted Lauren Boebert, but that seemed to make her ex more aggressive, the aide said. There was then apparently a physical altercation of indeterminate severity.

Jayson Boebert “made a motion” towards his ex-wife, “to grab her.” It was “an aggressive move, not romantic,” the aide relayed.

As Lauren Boebert described it, the aide said, she tried again to keep him back and in the process “put her hand in his face, put her hand on his nose.” (The Muckrackers’ post describes a violent confrontation, with the congresswoman landing two punches on her ex’s nose. The aide said that Boebert maintains she didn’t punch him.)

Jayson Boebert, apparently outraged, called the police, claiming that he was “a victim of domestic violence,” the Boebert aide said. Lauren Boebert then called the non-emergency number and told the police there was no domestic violence, and that she’d be happy to speak with an officer at the restaurant.

The police did come, but they arrested no one, the aide said, adding that a friend drove Boebert home, and that she and her former husband were both safe.

Contacted Saturday night, Silt police would not comment other than to confirm an “active investigation” into the alleged events, along with the existence of a police report.

Asked in a phone call about the altercation, which he had apparently alleged himself, Jayson Boebert would not confirm that an incident had occurred, telling The Daily Beast, “I don’t know what to say.”

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

http://silt.is

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

resident posted:

Sir, this is a middle school gymnasium in Clinton, Iowa.

The greatest middle school in America! Many are saying it!

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Coolguye posted:

That’s also not even remotely how the procedure works. Refusing to certify the election doesn’t magically give the decision on next president to the House. That leap of logic is big enough to trap a tank.

what is the process if this happens tho?

I do see that they passed some clarifying updates https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/congress-approves-new-election-certification-rules-in-response-to-jan-6

Some of the stuff now has a requirement of 1/5th of the house/senate. But it's unclear what happens if a majority objects (like say all republicans). Does it not go to a vote with 1 vote per state?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bone Crimes posted:

what is the process if this happens tho?

I do see that they passed some clarifying updates https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/congress-approves-new-election-certification-rules-in-response-to-jan-6

Some of the stuff now has a requirement of 1/5th of the house/senate. But it's unclear what happens if a majority objects (like say all republicans). Does it not go to a vote with 1 vote per state?

in general, the election would be kicked back to the states to resolve whatever issues Congress had with it, with a temporary executive sorted out in the meantime; possibly just the previous president in an even more lame-duck scenario than he was already in.

the house decision happens if there is a certified election wherein nobody wins a majority/nobody gets to 270. simply refusing to certify the election and going thanos "i'll just do it myself" is textbook subversion of the will of the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!