Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

They're not saying it's 'fine' morally, they're saying it's 'fine' visually because a human inserted a stock image, which makes the situation even more laughable, overall

A juxtaposition I was bringing attention to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
This reveals that people can currently spot AI art, but have trouble pointing to the exact markers. The artifacts on the gadgets right side are hallmarks of AI generated art. The fact that the 5 is a bit fuzzy and low res isn't.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I don't see a 3 or anything at all between 4 and 5. What obviously happened was the AI generated a gauge, then the human "artist" took the circular area of the stock photo and pasted it into that spot, lazily erasing the edges and applying some filters. That's why the right side looks weird, the borders are from the original AI bits.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Abhorrence posted:

This reveals that people can currently spot AI art, but have trouble pointing to the exact markers. The artifacts on the gadgets right side are hallmarks of AI generated art. The fact that the 5 is a bit fuzzy and low res isn't.

Nah, that five is like that because the ai tried to blend it in

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://x.com/wizards_magic/status/1744056808254173447?s=46&t=kXAZ-Qb3z8RBvF6h7SysbQ

Well,

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
There is also a funny situation with scg having a 20k with 200 people because they don’t advertise anything anymore or do coverage.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
What happened with scg anyway? I stopped really following them when cedric and psully left.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Fritzler posted:

What was the field like? Going to a Rav remastered sealed one next week but want to play some standard. Also I think rav remastered technically not allowed, but whatever.

62 people - 2 slot RCQ. Winners both played UW midrange. A decent amount of Rakdos and Domain, some Esper. A lot of lists geared towards beating domain.

Here are the winners lists:

https://www.twitter.com/Mrtoolshed_/status/1743821790302937336?s=20

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

"AI is just so popular that it can even show up in art made by people who say they aren't using it, but trust us we'll do better on our quality assurance next time".

This is the weakest possible walk back, how embarrassing. The use of "final" as a qualifier is glaring. There's no way they don't gently caress up again unless artists and players start putting pressure on them en masse.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they outsourced the promo images to a vendor and either didn't tell the vendor not to use any generative tools at all or the vendor thought the photoshop tools were fine and/or thought they could get away with it. they absolutely shouldn't have taken the third party at their word and defended it on twitter lmao

in any case they need to actually vet things from now on instead of just trusting vendors. maybe hasbro can rehire the person who should be doing it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elblanco posted:

What happened with scg anyway? I stopped really following them when cedric and psully left.

Ben Berweis has been trying very very hard to pivot away from mtg.
And they didn't leave, Ben fired them all because he didn't see the immediate profit in having them around.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
Ya know, in this context a lot of the issues seem to mirror problems that could occur with the older approaches like kitbashing, collaging, and paintovers/filters. Like, AI is just being used as another tool, the same as those, but it has its own telltale signs that people are really keyed in on due to its media attention (and just how bad it is).

Just like any of the old approaches (or just straight up creating images from scratch/personal reference), bad art is bad and you need to have clear quality guidelines for the artists/outsources to follow and to be extremely critical of reviewing and approving any and all pieces of art meant for public release.

If "the customer" (whether it's WotC being a customer of the artists or MtG fans being the customers of WotC) refuses to pay for the poor quality art then people will stop wasting time using a tool that makes it harder to create good art or they will at least figure out how to use it "better" (ie in a much more limited way that assumes an artist won't just be doing touchups but the bulk of the rendering).

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

My wholly unsophisticated guess here is that Hasbro won’t be able to resist the savings associated with feeding the card art they already own into a generative algorithm in order to derive new card “art” without being forced to pay an artist even the pittance they currently get. I know what they’ve said. Believing Hasbro/WotC is an exercise for idiots, and players will continue to throw money at cardboard no matter what.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Yeah, let's be realistic. How much money do you think this snafu costs Hasbro? Because Hasbro is a Corp and that is literally all they care about.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

cgeq posted:

Ya know, in this context a lot of the issues seem to mirror problems that could occur with the older approaches like kitbashing, collaging, and paintovers/filters. Like, AI is just being used as another tool, the same as those, but it has its own telltale signs that people are really keyed in on due to its media attention (and just how bad it is).

Just like any of the old approaches (or just straight up creating images from scratch/personal reference), bad art is bad and you need to have clear quality guidelines for the artists/outsources to follow and to be extremely critical of reviewing and approving any and all pieces of art meant for public release.

If "the customer" (whether it's WotC being a customer of the artists or MtG fans being the customers of WotC) refuses to pay for the poor quality art then people will stop wasting time using a tool that makes it harder to create good art or they will at least figure out how to use it "better" (ie in a much more limited way that assumes an artist won't just be doing touchups but the bulk of the rendering).

Syq

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The sad thing is, in the long run, this will make no difference at all.

Why? Because for every company that rejects AI and chooses to rely on human artists, twenty other companies will fire their entire art staff and retrain a janitor as a 'prompt engineer'. All those artists are now freelancers who will work for pennies. So a year from now when Wizards is proclaiming how they proudly stand by their brave artists, those same artists are also working Doordash to make ends meet.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Elblanco posted:

HootTheOwl posted:

Ben Berweis has been trying very very hard to pivot away from mtg.
And they didn't leave, Ben fired them all because he didn't see the immediate profit in having them around.

There's two SCGCons within a reasonable drive from me early this year. They seem to focus on Flesh & Blood as much as Magic, to the extent that a FAB character is their banner image for one of the events. I think they're trying to pivot away from just being a Magic superstore and Magic tournament circuit.

flatluigi posted:

they outsourced the promo images to a vendor and either didn't tell the vendor not to use any generative tools at all or the vendor thought the photoshop tools were fine and/or thought they could get away with it. they absolutely shouldn't have taken the third party at their word and defended it on twitter lmao

in any case they need to actually vet things from now on instead of just trusting vendors. maybe hasbro can rehire the person who should be doing it

Yeah I'm not rolling my eyes at the use of the AI art, which is to be expected (they will do it again), but their immediate jump to defense when the mistake was obvious.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LifeLynx posted:

There's two SCGCons within a reasonable drive from me early this year. They seem to focus on Flesh & Blood as much as Magic, to the extent that a FAB character is their banner image for one of the events. I think they're trying to pivot away from just being a Magic superstore and Magic tournament circuit.
He's also a crypto guy, and turned the main SCG location into a bar. I don't think he wants to sell mtg at all

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

He's also a crypto guy, and turned the main SCG location into a bar. I don't think he wants to sell mtg at all

Sam was smart to pivot when he did. Probably helped offset his crypto bro losses.

The only decent money left in mtg are online marketplaces and I don’t see anyone toppling TCGplayer anytime soon.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Me and my friends used to make the hour drive to scg every prerelease back in the early 10s and its sad seeing how it fell off

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
He tries too hard to be the centre of attention, eg this time last year:

quote:

In just 9 days,
@StarCityGames
will have 1000s of never-before seen #MTG cards at our #MAGICCON Philadelphia booth.

These are cards that nobody else has and everyone will want to get.

The best part?

We will be giving them away FREE all weekend long!

Tune in for more info!

(These were photocopied hand drawn phyrexia themed valentines cards)

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He tries too hard to be the centre of attention, eg this time last year:

(These were photocopied hand drawn phyrexia themed valentines cards)

jesus christ how dumb do you have to be to pull something like this and not realize it’s going to blow back on you… the ego on some people

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah I'm not rolling my eyes at the use of the AI art, which is to be expected (they will do it again), but their immediate jump to defense when the mistake was obvious.

I don't really hold it against the social media intern who probably just asked their boss instead of did their own image sleuthing and independently make the call to take down the promo image which is part of an ad campaign that costs more than their entire job

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://x.com/NoahStrasler/status/1743827071392944252?s=20

I have never been caught playing a fake card and I played SO many of them over the years. I have only been told a card is not authentic twice and both times the people involved were totally wrong. I am not going to a vendor to buy more or look for replacements. I am going to prove you wrong and heckle you until I am kicked from the venue. Its the only judge interaction I refuse to defer to a judges ruling on.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

https://x.com/NoahStrasler/status/1743827071392944252?s=20

I have never been caught playing a fake card and I played SO many of them over the years. I have only been told a card is not authentic twice and both times the people involved were totally wrong. I am not going to a vendor to buy more or look for replacements. I am going to prove you wrong and heckle you until I am kicked from the venue. Its the only judge interaction I refuse to defer to a judges ruling on.

Judges aren't even qualified to do this. Imagine having the confidence to stop a tournament get a loupe and make such a claim.

And if you had to use a loupe to prove it, how did the opponent know to call you? Did the judge just see a blood crypt, say "nuuh" and study it until their found cover?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/bashmcalister/status/1744098403359801806?t=LwU9djAH0Q8qOgf71G5GMw&s=19
And on the other side ..

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Blood Crypt is $15, why are judges even bothering to check those?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

They don't value their time and sanity. Someone who is confidentially wrong, alot. Someone who can't be trusted with any authority. Terminal corporate bootlicker.

Take your pick!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I still think about that misty rainforest more than I should.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LifeLynx posted:

Power

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The only solution for counterfeit art is counterfeit cards

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
New evergreen reaction image

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

LifeLynx posted:

99% of judges do not give a gently caress or have the time to check authenticity of cards that are not blatantly fake. This person just had a weird boner for finding counterfeits.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Just makes me think back to the foil borderless Jeweled Lotus from Commander Masters I bought a few months ago and I felt looked sketchy to the naked eye and even more so under my loupe, and none of the stores I took it to or people I showed to online could confirm if it was real or not. The seller insisted that they had pulled it from a pack, but of course they'd say that.

It's probably real, but it speaks volumes about how lovely WotC's print quality, especially on their high-dollar premium cards, has become.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Solis posted:

99% of judges do not give a gently caress or have the time to check authenticity of cards that are not blatantly fake. This person just had a weird boner for finding counterfeits.

Apparently the same judge "found" fake ragavans in the top 8 and and DQ'd the person. At least 4 different reported issues in the same weekend I can find just on twitter. This judge is just on something and needs to chill out.

Framboise posted:

Just makes me think back to the foil borderless Jeweled Lotus from Commander Masters I bought a few months ago and I felt looked sketchy to the naked eye and even more so under my loupe, and none of the stores I took it to or people I showed to online could confirm if it was real or not. The seller insisted that they had pulled it from a pack, but of course they'd say that.

It's probably real, but it speaks volumes about how lovely WotC's print quality, especially on their high-dollar premium cards, has become.

I will repeat again until its no longer relevant, the light test on your smart phone is the only test you need to worry yourself with with any set since khans. Its just the most consistent test you can do from novice to advanced. The only difference is that cards from mh2 on, retro bordered stuff + other specialty printed stuff, will show up as red core. Those are legit as well. Practicing on cards you know are real will make it simple to learn in a few minutes. Trust.

Our friends from china will have issues with light passing through it and when it does, it barely will and will be black. (its also a sign of better card quality , which should be a red flag because WOTC would never)

Sickening fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 8, 2024

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Entropic posted:

Time to reset the clock!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Entropic posted: