Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ilmucche posted:

isn't tank like 60 years old and probably twice the weight of inoue now?

He’s 29…

But yeah he’s way too big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Jump King posted:

He’s 29…

But yeah he’s way too big

I took it as them making a Gervonta "Tank" Davis / Tank Abbott joke.

I could be wrong though!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh I don’t know who that is lol

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jump King posted:

Oh I don’t know who that is lol

An MMA heavyweight fighter from early UFC days*1 who fought some notable people*2 but beat exactly none of them, ending his career with a 10-14 or 10-15 record depending on if you want to count when he came back in 2013 at 48 years old for one more fight.

1. Events UFC 6 to UFC 45, in 1995-2003, other organizations after that.
2. Oleg Taktarov, Dan Severn, Don Frye, Vitor Belfort, Pedro Rizzo, Frank Mir, Kimbo Slice.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Tank Abbot is the reason there's a rule about throwing people out of the ring in the UFC because he tried to Donkey Kong his opponent over the top of the cage once.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Joshua is gonna knock out ngannou. It’s not even gonna be close. I say in the first 6 rds

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. F! posted:

Joshua is gonna knock out ngannou. It’s not even gonna be close. I say in the first 6 rds

really? i thought francis showed a more than competent game in the fury fight and if aj has a weakness its that hes very hittable as shown in his ruiz fights. i think its gonna be pretty competitive

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think Ngannou has a good shot as long as he brings a different game to the early rounds to start taxing AJ mentally. I don't think AJ is harder to scout than Fury.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Francis was good against Fury but if that amazing article one of you guys linked taught me anything it's that he is pretty uniquely (for a boxer) good at countering a few of Fury's strengths, in particular the clinch.

If he eats a few big AJ shots though he might be in trouble fast. I think Wilder would also beat him.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Quizzlefish posted:

Francis was good against Fury but if that amazing article one of you guys linked taught me anything it's that he is pretty uniquely (for a boxer) good at countering a few of Fury's strengths, in particular the clinch.

If he eats a few big AJ shots though he might be in trouble fast. I think Wilder would also beat him.

i dont think the wilder we saw last month could beat any top heavyweight with gloves on including francis

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
An awful lot of faith in the guy who got bullied and embarrassed by Andy Ruiz and has looked like absolute poo poo since until like one fight last week.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AJ raises and lowers to the skill of his opponent imo

i think francis sparks him

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don’t think AJ loses to an MMA fighter, and Ngannou losing to Fury doesn’t change my mind.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

really? i thought francis showed a more than competent game in the fury fight and if aj has a weakness its that hes very hittable as shown in his ruiz fights. i think its gonna be pretty competitive

Ehhhhh… he’s not a defensive wizard but he got caught getting reckless going for a finish against Ruiz. In the rematch Ruiz barely got close to him over 12 rounds. I’d say if anything AJ is too avoidant of punches these days.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think AJ is harder to scout than Fury.

True in the sense that AJ is more basic than Fury but I’m personally of the opinion that when you’re boxing an MMA fighter you do best going back to the basics.

I also think that while AJ has a certain type of mental weakness, he’s always going to take a fight like this seriously whereas Fury is less consistent. Wallin had some success against a coasting Fury too but it didn’t at all translate to doing while against AJ. Like if there’s one thing you can count on it’s AJ showing up to a fight in perfect shape.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jump King posted:

I’d say if anything AJ is too avoidant of punches these days.

That helps carry Ngannou through the fight a bit. Yes, he can absolutely get walloped going in on some offense, but if putting on a basic offense with big power has AJ shying away on exchanges, that reduces how many punches Francis risks. Would be not as entertaining for the casual fans coming in, but couldn't be worse than Ngannou x Lewis.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It would be a mistake to read too much into Ngannou showing up against Fury. He looked good, maybe even very good for a heavyweight boxer, but very good probably doesn't get him past AJ. Ruiz did it with great timing and speed, Usyk did it with great midrange movement. Maybe Francis can get in on him on the inside, but I would need to watch the Fury fight to see what else he could do.

I think the Wallin vs Fury / AJ comparison is apt here. Styles make fights. Fury kinda likes guys getting to him so he can back up and catch them coming at him. Joshua doesn't like guys getting to him at all and will maintain that middle distance or stay outside rather than let himself get smothered.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

That helps carry Ngannou through the fight a bit. Yes, he can absolutely get walloped going in on some offense, but if putting on a basic offense with big power has AJ shying away on exchanges, that reduces how many punches Francis risks. Would be not as entertaining for the casual fans coming in, but couldn't be worse than Ngannou x Lewis.

I agree that AJ might let him off the hook but I think a boring fight is one that he has the advantage in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Prediction: Francis gives AJ a few legit scares, puts AJ into "survive the fight mode" and loses the decision but gets a modest moral victory for doing it to another career HW.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Murdock’s showing a lot of toughness against Mbilli right now

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Rags to Liches posted:

Murdock’s showing a lot of toughness against Mbilli right now

every mbilli fight I've seen has been exactly the same a slow constant slaughter so I hope he gets a crack at canelo

now to see what callum smith still has in the tank

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat beterbiev came out strong

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I picked Beterbiev KO6 and was off by a round. Oh well.

Guy is a pure killing machine. Him vs Bivol is a pick 'em.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Joseph Parker vs Zhang on the Joshua-Ngannou undercard

Parker is going to need to at least equal his performance against Wilder imo, Zhang is one scary dude

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Julio Cruz posted:

Joseph Parker vs Zhang on the Joshua-Ngannou undercard

Parker is going to need to at least equal his performance against Wilder imo, Zhang is one scary dude

I’m really high on zhang. He’s so drat powerful. I don’t think Parker is gonna last.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I gotta say, I've loved watching Big Bang's journey over the last couple of years. I only got into boxing a few years back and for some reason he was one of the first lesser known modern boxers I found out about. At the time I didn't even know if he'd be coming back to the ring since this was just after he had that medical episode against Jerry Forrest. Then he did come back, on the undercard of the Lopez-Kambosos fight, fighting some journeyman. I was happy he could still fight, even though I was certain he'd ride out his career as a guy knocking out cans on undercards.

Then a bunch of guys in the IBF rankings couldn't/wouldn't fight Hrgovic, and Zhang got his shot at being a mandatory. Backed him all the way, still thought he should've just edged the decision but can't complain too much given the closeness of the fight. Thought for sure that would be the closest he ever got to a title fight... then just a couple of weeks into 2023, it was announced he'd be fighting Joe Joyce for the WBO interim strap. Lotta folks were doubting him, saying he'd be stopped early and what not, despite his performance against Hrgovic. I never thought he'd be knocked out, and I wanted him to win but I thought Joe's chin would hold up and he'd take over when Zhang gassed in the later rounds. Turns out, that didn't end up being a factor. Can't even describe how excited I was when he rocked Joe in the second round, and I was jumping around my living room when Foster waved it off. For the rematch I backed Zhang to stop Joe in the mid rounds, but Zhang once again exceeded expectations and knocked out this seemingly iron chinned guy in just three.

Glad to see he's getting another big fight. There's always the worry of aging overnight with these older fighters, but I'm confident he'll knock Parker out as well. Parker's got better head movement than Joyce so I'll predict somewhere around the sixth or seventh. Unlike Wilder, who always telegraphed his one punch even in his prime years, Zhang has a wider arsenal and his punches can be sneaky. It's not a matter of if his punches land as much as it is when, so Parker winning this fight is gonna be contingent on how well his chin can hold up against big power that will actually land with some frequency.

My dream fight for him later in the year is against Usyk or Fury, but I doubt either one of them is still an active boxer by the end of the year. Maybe he can at least get a good unification fight after he gets elevated after the belts are vacated.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

JaddaCaddra posted:

I gotta say, I've loved watching Big Bang's journey over the last couple of years. I only got into boxing a few years back and for some reason he was one of the first lesser known modern boxers I found out about. At the time I didn't even know if he'd be coming back to the ring since this was just after he had that medical episode against Jerry Forrest. Then he did come back, on the undercard of the Lopez-Kambosos fight, fighting some journeyman. I was happy he could still fight, even though I was certain he'd ride out his career as a guy knocking out cans on undercards.

Then a bunch of guys in the IBF rankings couldn't/wouldn't fight Hrgovic, and Zhang got his shot at being a mandatory. Backed him all the way, still thought he should've just edged the decision but can't complain too much given the closeness of the fight. Thought for sure that would be the closest he ever got to a title fight... then just a couple of weeks into 2023, it was announced he'd be fighting Joe Joyce for the WBO interim strap. Lotta folks were doubting him, saying he'd be stopped early and what not, despite his performance against Hrgovic. I never thought he'd be knocked out, and I wanted him to win but I thought Joe's chin would hold up and he'd take over when Zhang gassed in the later rounds. Turns out, that didn't end up being a factor. Can't even describe how excited I was when he rocked Joe in the second round, and I was jumping around my living room when Foster waved it off. For the rematch I backed Zhang to stop Joe in the mid rounds, but Zhang once again exceeded expectations and knocked out this seemingly iron chinned guy in just three.

Glad to see he's getting another big fight. There's always the worry of aging overnight with these older fighters, but I'm confident he'll knock Parker out as well. Parker's got better head movement than Joyce so I'll predict somewhere around the sixth or seventh. Unlike Wilder, who always telegraphed his one punch even in his prime years, Zhang has a wider arsenal and his punches can be sneaky. It's not a matter of if his punches land as much as it is when, so Parker winning this fight is gonna be contingent on how well his chin can hold up against big power that will actually land with some frequency.

My dream fight for him later in the year is against Usyk or Fury, but I doubt either one of them is still an active boxer by the end of the year. Maybe he can at least get a good unification fight after he gets elevated after the belts are vacated.

Good post. I also had him beating Hrgovic. He got tired in the later rounds of that fight. He managed to crack Joyce before that was an issue. If I were Parker I’d try to keep it as close as I can while extending the fight to rounds 8, 9, 10. Unfortunately for Parker, I don’t think he’s gonna manage it.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Mr. F! posted:

Good post. I also had him beating Hrgovic. He got tired in the later rounds of that fight. He managed to crack Joyce before that was an issue. If I were Parker I’d try to keep it as close as I can while extending the fight to rounds 8, 9, 10. Unfortunately for Parker, I don’t think he’s gonna manage it.

I feel like if Zhang hadn't deviated from what won him most of the first half, he would have won on the cards. In my opinion, his downfall came in the round he won most convincingly, round six. He got Hrgovic hurt early in that round and seemed to abandon what had been working up to that point, throwing everything he had at him in an attempt to get him out, and it just didn't happen. That resulted in him being completely empty for the second half of the fight, except for a brief second wind which got him round 9 on my card. If he hadn't abandoned the plan and drained himself in an effort to knockout Hrgovic, I think he probably would have had enough in the tank for about eight or nine rounds altogether. Crazy thing is though, even incredibly gassed he was able to hurt Hrgovic whenever he landed, like that one punch at about the halfway point of round 11, he just didn't have enough to throw that often.

Also I agree, Parker's best chance at success is snagging a few rounds in the first chunk of the fight, staying on his feet and taking over when Zhang gasses for the last third or so of it for a 115-113 type decision. I've seen some people picking him to actually stop Zhang late, and anything's possible, but I don't see it personally. I think those predictions are coming as a result of people riding a bit too high on the Wilder win. Not trying to take away anything from Parker here, he executed a perfect plan to counter that style for a full twelve rounds and that deserves credit regardless, but the Wilder he fought seemed lethargic, barely threw anything and when he did it was incredibly telegraphed, even by Wilder's standards. Not to say Parker can't beat Zhang, I just think anyone expecting that same level of dominance will end up disappointed.

Then again, you never know with boxing. That's one of the things that keeps us watching. I'm backing Zhang all the way but a Parker win wouldn't be surprising.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Is this the thread to ask about Rough and Rowdy 23? My roommate just informed me he's going to watch and it seems like a worse fight circus. Will it be any good?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I have no idea what that is to be honest.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

Will it be any good?

quote:

Join Dave Portnoy & Dan Katz on the call LIVE from Providence, RI
I don’t think so, OP

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

it looks horrible even without that. This is the 23rd has anyone watched one of these?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

I have no idea what that is to be honest.

it was rude of me not to link it
https://www.roughnrowdybrawl.com/events

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Suplex Liberace posted:

it looks horrible even without that. This is the 23rd has anyone watched one of these?

I've never even heard of it

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I watched some of the West Virginia Rough N Rowdy callout videos before Barstool got involved and those were fine enough, if you like Irish traveler callout videos, this is the American equivalent.

As for the fights, they're basically Toughman contests, right? If a guy has more than 45 seconds of gas, it's a rare sight to behold

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The first PBC on Amazon card has been announced for March 30th in Las Vegas. The main event will be Tim Tszyu vs. Keith Thurman at a catchweight of 155 lbs because the WBO refused to sanction as a 154 title fight. The co main is Rolly Romero vs Pitbull Cruz and Erislandy Lara vs Michael Zerafa and Sebastian Fundora - Serhii Bohachuk to round out the card.

A lot of names but not the best matchups (and Thurman and Lara has been inactive since early 2022). Unfortunately it seems like with the platform change PBC on Amazon will look a lot like post pandemic PBC on Showtime with anything resembling a decent fight on pay per view instead of broadcast or streaming.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Fundora fight is legit and so is the Rolly fight imo. The main event is silly

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
oh

https://x.com/shakurstevenson/status/1752176061360624009?s=46

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The consensus is that this is a short lived "retirement" for clout/negotiation like Teofimo did last year but if it somehow sticks than lol that he went out on such a weak fight.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

The consensus is that this is a short lived "retirement" for clout/negotiation like Teofimo did last year but if it somehow sticks than lol that he went out on such a weak fight.

At least we saw him beat up Valdez.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

all these chumps just copying ergoshev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Tyson Fury suffered a severe cut today while sparring that required stitches and his undisputed heavyweight championship fight with Oleksandr Usyk, scheduled for Feb. 17 in Riyahd, Saudi Arabia, has been postponed, sources tell ESPN.