Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Yes, Iron Fist is canon, but no one cares.

Does mean that Jessica Henwick's in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Everything is only as canon as that particular writer wants it to be. (Unless he gets notes from above of course.) It's not some magical barrier which makes it unconditionally linked.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

cant cook creole bream posted:

Everything is only as canon as that particular writer wants it to be. (Unless he gets notes from above of course.) It's not some magical barrier which makes it unconditionally linked.

Exactly. Daredevil wasn't canon until he was in the Spider-Man NWH. X-Men weren't canon until Dr. Strange 2 and The Marvels, and even then in a different universe. It's all just whatever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

So this means, by extension, The Defenders, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and...Iron Fist (?!), are all MCU canon.

Just put Danny in a movie with Luke and Colleen and Shang-Chi so they can all roll their eyes at him and his doofiness constantly.

Have him introduced to the MCU proper with "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" in the background. There's a lot of fun, smart things they can do with the character to subvert people's, uh, kinda racist views about who's allowed to be a kung-fu person. Simu Liu rolling his eyes at Finn Jones is a very important part of this hypothetical for me.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

X-Men weren't canon until Dr. Strange 2 and The Marvels, and even then in a different universe. It's all just whatever.

That makes them not canon. The Professor X from the FOXverse isn't the one that Wanda killed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Based on the Deadpool leaks/casting announcements and Wandavision, the Fox X-Men are explicitly not canon.

To be fair, the world basically ends and descends into a hellish dystopia in the final X-Men movies, so it would be very difficult to fit that canonically into the MCU unless it is revealed that every location in the MCU just happens to be one of the oases of normalcy during the apocalypse and everybody just refuses to talk about it.

Most of the major X-Men are also all dead.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Based on the Deadpool leaks/casting announcements and Wandavision, the Fox X-Men are explicitly not canon.

To be fair, the world basically ends and descends into a hellish dystopia in the final X-Men movies, so it would be very difficult to fit that canonically into the MCU unless it is revealed that every location in the MCU just happens to be one of the oases of normalcy during the apocalypse and everybody just refuses to talk about it.

Most of the major X-Men are also all dead.

The FOXverse doesn't even make canonical sense on its own.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How many dark phoenixes have they done by this point?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

A.o.D. posted:

How many dark phoenixes have they done by this point?

Technically, only one because time travel made the Phoenix saga happen in the 1990's instead of the mid-2000's and therefore the original Phoenix Saga never happens, so Jean Gray never becomes the Phoenix in her 30's because she became the Phoenix in her early 20's and Mystique actually died 20 years earlier and humanity became aware of Mutants 30 years earlier, which changes the timeline, and Jean Gray died in the 1990's before the original Phoenix Saga could ever happen.

Also, there were aliens.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

live with fruit posted:

That makes them not canon. The Professor X from the FOXverse isn't the one that Wanda killed.

Okay, so The Marvels (maybe Logan still happens after the events of that movie in that universe). That's the point. They're canon or not canon depending on the whims of the writers. It's a nonsense concept.

Needless to say, I took the Star Wars canon reboot better than some other Star Wars fans.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Just put Danny in a movie with Luke and Colleen and Shang-Chi so they can all roll their eyes at him and his doofiness constantly.

Have him introduced to the MCU proper with "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" in the background. There's a lot of fun, smart things they can do with the character to subvert people's, uh, kinda racist views about who's allowed to be a kung-fu person. Simu Liu rolling his eyes at Finn Jones is a very important part of this hypothetical for me.

I would watch the poo poo out of this.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Okay, so The Marvels (maybe Logan still happens after the events of that movie in that universe). That's the point. They're canon or not canon depending on the whims of the writers. It's a nonsense concept.

Needless to say, I took the Star Wars canon reboot better than some other Star Wars fans.

In the sense that the Multiverse makes anything canon. Theoretically, there's a universe where Wolverine looks like Glenn Danzig.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

live with fruit posted:

In the sense that the Multiverse makes anything canon. Theoretically, there's a universe where Wolverine looks like Glenn Danzig.

Sure. But multiverse aside, Daredevil could have been canon or not and it wouldn't have made a difference to the MCU before NWH. He was only "canon" because a writer (or more likely, an executive) decided to include him for a fun cameo.

It's like how the Infinity Gauntlet was in Asgard "in canon", until they decided they wanted to use it. So they changed the canon to say that was a fake...somehow. Canon is silly, and only to be used when it suits the purpose of the story. A tool to be used, but not to get in the way.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I get the feeling they'll end up walking back Daredevil being canon considering that it limits how they can use Elektra and Bullseye.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

The best thing they could do is have Elektra being dead as canon.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

The best thing they could do is have Elektra being dead as canon.

If they're bringing back Jennifer Garner in Deadpool 3, they're probably not going to just throw the MCU version of the character away.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Canon is fake. Always has been.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

live with fruit posted:

I get the feeling they'll end up walking back Daredevil being canon considering that it limits how they can use Elektra and Bullseye.

yep, I don't believe for a second that they're going to make Netflix Daredevil canon again.

Let's not forget, the show was sold as canon when it first aired. Fisk's whole scheme was related to real estate pricing in Manhattan being down due to the Chitauri attack in Avengers 1.

Agents of Shield was 'canon' when it started as well. It had a fantastic tie-in to Winter Soldier! And even Disney Plus TV shows are starting to be outright ignored in movies.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

live with fruit posted:

Does mean that Jessica Henwick's in the MCU.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Hell, yes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Inkspot posted:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Hell, yes.

Counter argument: there could be a better way to work her into the MCU than whatever she did in Iron Fist (I never watched it).

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I dunno. Danny returning to NYC with begrudging BFF Ward Meachum after learning "The True History of the Iron Fist" and still playing second or third fiddle to Colleen Wing seems pretty good to me.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Danny Rand does not need to come back.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AngryBooch posted:

yep, I don't believe for a second that they're going to make Netflix Daredevil canon again.

The executive in charge of tv at Marvel Studios says until he hears otherwise he considers the Netflix show part of "The Sacred Timeline" so give that as much weight as you want.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If the Netflixverse ties in, this means that Daredevil in the MCU has ties to all of them, plus Spider-Man, She-Hulk and Echo, who has ties to Kate. They could do a Street Level Avengers.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 6, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Finally saw Season 2 of What if? and uhh I really hope they stop doing these 'all of reality is at stake' story arcs because they're getting tiresome. It was a nice little ending to season 1 but I was hoping season 2 would have more wacky and weird hypotheticals (and more Spiderman dying, though I guess his rights are kind of in limbo?)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

swickles posted:

Now do Agents of SHIELD and bring back Coulson. Also, Fitzsimmons, Daisy, and even Deke.
Even Deke?!

Even Deke?!

DEKE IS NOBODY'S EVEN! Deke rules! How dare you! :mad:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LividLiquid posted:

Even Deke?!

Even Deke?!

DEKE IS NOBODY'S EVEN! Deke rules! How dare you! :mad:

Ok fine, especially Deke. I hope in his new universe/timeline he is the white Nick Fury, bringing the MCU and comics full circle.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All joking aside, I really did love that character. From his Store Brand Starlord first appearance to his Scam Artist Made Good final appearance. I never didn't loves me some Deke.

That actor is just so charming when he's being irritating. It's bananas.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Look, Marvel can do whatever it wants to do so long as we get Karen Page and The Punisher together.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

LividLiquid posted:

All joking aside, I really did love that character. From his Store Brand Starlord first appearance to his Scam Artist Made Good final appearance. I never didn't loves me some Deke.

That actor is just so charming when he's being irritating. It's bananas.

He was loving INSPIRED casting for Buggy in Netflix One Piece.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nikumatic posted:

He was loving INSPIRED casting for Buggy in Netflix One Piece.

Oh poo poo I might have to check that out then

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

swickles posted:

Oh poo poo I might have to check that out then

It's really surprisingly good

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

swickles posted:

Now do Agents of SHIELD and bring back Coulson. Also, Fitzsimmons, Daisy, and even Deke.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

maybeadracula posted:

It's really surprisingly good

After Cowboy Beebop, I was never intending to watch another Netflix animated-to-live action show ever again.

But I enjoyed the hell out of One Piece.

First episode was a bit rough, but after that it was just a barrel of fun.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's all canon. Always has been.

The extra fun part is awarding yourself a no-prize for figuring out why and how everything fits together. You can award it to yourself, it's just for fun like comics used to be before there was a canonical dissertation process welded on.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Just finished Loki s2. Sticks the landing. shame about the kang actor

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
MCU:canon::Zelda:timeline

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Got around to finishing What If S2 ep7.
pretty decent. I like that Hela and Wenwu got together, need more of him. I feel Odin jobbed hard at the end lol.
Also, leave Thanos alone, geez

starting
What if S2 ep8
wow, wanda, I feel like you could have chosen a much better hero than Captain Carter in your world/universe ending situation...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

No Luck Needed posted:

Dr Doom had diplomatic immunity sometimes

and I also like the weekly format for TV shows instead of binge watching something new, who doesnt like to binge watch something that has been out a while thou

There was something where Cap and Spidy were out, and Dr Doom shoots a missile out of the Latvarian embassy at them and Cap attacks him and Parker goes "Doesn't he have diplomatic immunity?" and Cap responses "He just fired a missile into the middle of Manhatten, I don't think that matters".

Alhazred posted:

It's also a good example of why no one likes Maria Hill. Also isn't S.H.I.E.L.D. kinda above the law, at least in the comics? I don't think it's ever been made clear under what mandate they operate.

The only good Maria Hill is MCU Maria Hill. And they killed her for no reason in a show no one liked so if they undo it, no one will care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Thanks to Secret Invasion, Cobie Smulders will never get to monologue about HATING Hank McCoy and that stinks.