Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Crazypoops posted:

All of our nukes are emptied out and filled with old socks aren't they

I sincerely hope so, would you trust the US government with nuclear weapons? I sure wouldn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
You don't really hear about that many cases of workers/downstream communities getting exposed to plutonium anymore so I'm gonna assume that yeah we stopped maintaining the warheads and replaced them with IOU notes

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Sancho Banana posted:

It's been discussed extensively - one thing NATO seems to be doing with Ukraine is achieving a more fully financialized, deindustrialized Europe for the sake of American interests. They gotta compete with Russia and China somehow, and the US since the 70s certainly hasn't had its own domestic industrial capacity capable of doing that.

some numbers on this and silver lining:

https://www.intellinews.com/deindustrialisation-in-germany-dramatically-reduces-emissions-in-2023-306518/

quote:

Accounting for about a quarter of German GDP – twice the level of other large European powers – some 10% of heavy industry has been forced to close down or dramatically reduce production.

German chemical companies are now very cautious when it comes to investing at home: around 40 percent of them will reduce their investments in Germany in 2023 and 2024, according to recent industry survey. However, the majority of companies are planning to increase foreign investments or leave completely.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Car Hater posted:

You don't really hear about that many cases of workers/downstream communities getting exposed to plutonium anymore so I'm gonna assume that yeah we stopped maintaining the warheads and replaced them with IOU notes

It couldnslso be because "reporters" haven't been told that happening by a government official so they just dont print it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Crazypoops posted:

All of our nukes are emptied out and filled with old socks aren't they

it would be kinda funny if the loose nuke nightmare scenario came from the US tbh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it seems like plutonium is more trouble than its worth and nobody is going to be more ready to first strike a nuclear peer just because they only have thousands of heu bombs

but all the danger and sexy implosion designs means big mic grift i bet.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/alexbward/status/1743745628860011001?s=20

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

The news of Austin’s situation came as a shock to all White House staff as they were unaware the Pentagon boss was dealing with complications following an elective medical procedure, the officials said.
orthognatic surgery accident

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mawarannahr posted:

orthognatic surgery accident

lmao did the secdef almost die from having his jaw embiggened

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

The FFL famously gives you a new name, and later citizenship. It’s why it’s been cyclically full of Spanish Republicans/German Jews and Communists/the opposite of German Jews and Communists/ ??? (mid Cold War) ???/Yugoslavians/Africans.

one of the extremely few ways to get away from US private student loan debt too since you essentially become a new person. A tour as a colonial enforcer of the French empire and then no debt, one weird trick Sallie Mae doesn't want you to know!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mikeev/status/1743434520526041143?t=HKvHX218bXGtOKryl51OkA&s=19

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gabencide

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Steam Deck finally prove that it's a portable console.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

wonder how the battery life is

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

That Politico article links to an NBC News article that says he was in the ICU those 4 days.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

When butt lifts go wrong

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
lol at having your aides say you're working from home while you're unconscious in the ICU. double lol that he apparently approved a missile strike during that time.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

frozenphil posted:

lol at having your aides say you're working from home while you're unconscious in the ICU. double lol that he apparently approved a missile strike during that time.

I'm gonna make a fuss that he didn't actually approve that

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I’m struggling to understand why he didn’t just delegate authority to a deputy like every normal person would do in that situation, even the kind of psycho that rises high enough in politics or the corporate ladder to be at his level.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Nexuist/status/1743415807235723424
https://twitter.com/Nexuist/status/1743427379643494810

I don't really highlight this as an example of American ingenuity or whatnot, but rather, if this is what an American layperson can do in their backyard, what are third-world countries cooking up with state backing?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I’m struggling to understand why he didn’t just delegate authority to a deputy like every normal person would do in that situation, even the kind of psycho that rises high enough in politics or the corporate ladder to be at his level.

Funnier to have an Alexander Haig "I am in control here" moment, OP.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If Joe Biden was an actual president this would be a firing offense. but as is, White House staff are probably like “wow only four days?”

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

frozenphil posted:

Not the first time an aide or PA has been using an e-sig willy nilly while the actual person is on leave.

Nothing will happen because to do so would be to question the whole usage of electronic signatures in the first place and people aren't ready to go back to paper.

Most likely there was some sort of pre-existing understanding of "I'm pre authorising every blah X Y and Z that comes in, don't even bother me with them".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/margbrennan/status/1743990425738748081?s=61&t=ekRyXxBjaNIALwWgK2O6xQ

secdef is still in the process of dying without telling anyone lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Not the first time an aide or PA has been using an e-sig willy nilly while the actual person is on leave.

Nothing will happen because to do so would be to question the whole usage of electronic signatures in the first place and people aren't ready to go back to paper.

Most likely there was some sort of pre-existing understanding of "I'm pre authorising every blah X Y and Z that comes in, don't even bother me with them".

Even when it was paper, I don't think it would be u heard of for a staffer to just forge the signature. But at least that was a skill I guess

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

We must respect his and his family's privacy as he dies while secdef

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Grilled Beef posted:

I sincerely hope so, would you trust the US government with nuclear weapons? I sure wouldn’t

Do not read The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner

Unless you dont value your sanity or enjoy crackpinging

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't really highlight this as an example of American ingenuity or whatnot, but rather, if this is what an American layperson can do in their backyard, what are third-world countries cooking up with state backing?
A local hobby club producing X amount of a device per week isn't going to make much of a difference in a war against an industrial power.

Which industrial power might be involved in a war in the future is left as a thought exercise to the reader.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://thehill.com/newsletters/defense-national-security/4392394-iraq-wants-us-military-out/

Iraq is moving to kick out the 2.5k troops that are currently there after the US did some targeted assassinations. Hopefully they have the balls to do it. Sleepy Joe pissing away the little US status left in the region to help their fail child.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Even when it was paper, I don't think it would be u heard of for a staffer to just forge the signature. But at least that was a skill I guess

Remember when the Trump staffer had him sign an order withdrawing all US troops from Syria, Somalia, Iraq and Germany and the Secdef got all anal about making sure it was signed on the right dotted lines and stuff?

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Complications posted:

No, it doesn't. Not that citizenship guarantees anything, either, but guarantees from the government to peasants are communism and we don't do that here.

The US military IS a path to citizenship, though.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

(Trumpishly): it’s a path

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ted Wassanasong posted:

It's affordable access to citizenship with certain terms and conditions applied with no guarentees.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ted Wassanasong posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/royal-navy-forced-to-retire-frigates-due-to-personnel-shortages-report

"The U.K. Royal Navy is so short on sailors that it is reportedly having to decommission two Type 23 class frigates in order to staff its new class of frigates. If this comes to pass, it would reduce the service's current fleet of 11 Type 23s to nine. That the frigates may be decommissioned comes at a time when the Royal Navy's major surface combatants are in high demand, including in the Red Sea."
Sad trombone noises for USA dominion power projection.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

A local hobby club producing X amount of a device per week isn't going to make much of a difference in a war against an industrial power.

Which industrial power might be involved in a war in the future is left as a thought exercise to the reader.

Good thing the US isn't an industrial power anymore

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
everything's coming up ansarallah

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Any news from those two UK carriers? Still in the garage?

Too bad Argentina can't join Venezuela and make some new territorial noise against the Anglos.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently his deputy didnt even know that her boss was in the hospital dying when she took over.

Really wanna know what sort of procedure you go through where you think you'll be able to telework without issues after it but somehow get so loving blasted by it you spend over a week in hospital because of it

Oh my god I'm reading the article and the procedure was on the 22nd! Hoping that the white houses loses confidence in his ability to lead and fires him.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Apparently his deputy didnt even know that her boss was in the hospital dying when she took over.

Really wanna know what sort of procedure you go through where you think you'll be able to telework without issues after it but somehow get so loving blasted by it you spend over a week in hospital because of it

Oh my god I'm reading the article and the procedure was on the 22nd! He was back in the hospital shortly after and then went into intensive care on the 1st. Nobody loving knew till the 4th

Maybe he just caught Covid there :shrug: