Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

I like Karlach but she's a little too well adjusted for spending a decade in hell. She should be a bit emotionally damaged from that, no?

Lae'zel is arguably the most grounded companion if you think about it. She's not sleeping with god like Gale, or a superhero like Wyll. She doesn't have a furnace for a heart. She's not a vampire. And she's not the literal chosen one like Shadowheart.

Her being a space elf is the only thing special about her but in the grand scheme of things she's just a grunt for Vlaakith. A talented one to be sure but she's not close to becoming favored when the game starts. She's the only companion that doesn't have some crazy background. She's just a soldier. And I kinda like that about her.

Hell the fact that she's just a grunt fits her background perfectly. It is always the unimportant grunts that get taken in by the kind of ideology she was raised to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Runa posted:

Astarion's Charisma is low because he's built using strict point buy and you need a dump stat or two if you want to afford a higher stat somewhere else.

In other words don't think about it, D&D mechanically sucks rear end.

The amusing bit is Halsin and Minsc have their stats reworked when they become companions: both have strength scores as NPCs that reflect their rippling muscles that are then tossed because it's not a good build for their classes (since Minsc defaults to a ranged fighter(?!?) and Halsin should always be wildshaped and never need his physical stats).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Morrow posted:

The amusing bit is Halsin and Minsc have their stats reworked when they become companions: both have strength scores as NPCs that reflect their rippling muscles that are then tossed because it's not a good build for their classes (since Minsc defaults to a ranged fighter(?!?) and Halsin should always be wildshaped and never need his physical stats).

lmao

nice

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

After finishing up Act 2, I think I actually like the combat when you're facing 4-6 enemies or a setpiece encounter. I really didn't like the fight at the base of Moonrise Tower because there was like 12-15 enemies and keeping a certain NPC alive was very difficult because of her suicidal AI. Then again, I think I missed some side quests that could have possibly thinned the ranks out or made the fight easier. I think having that many actors in a fight gets pretty tedious after a while.

The Apostle of Myrkul fight was really great and I had a huge pop when The Dead Three Chosen got revealed. I'm a few hours into Act 3 and I can't wait to see how everything gets wrapped up.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lore question: why do mind flayers imprison their prisoners with their weapons and armour intact

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question: why do mind flayers imprison their prisoners with their weapons and armour intact

Generally mindflayers enthrall their victims and use them as bodyguards or slave labor (or food). Having some captives armed makes sense if they're under complete psionic control.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ginette Reno posted:

I like Karlach but she's a little too well adjusted for spending a decade in hell. She should be a bit emotionally damaged from that, no?

Did you not have her with you when you confronted (Act 3 boss) Gortash?

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

The (act 3) final confrontation with Gortash is a bit off if you sided with him at first, betrayed him at the iron throne, and have Karlach in the party. If Karlach is out of the party, the final dialogue goes straight to “I thought we were friends” etc.. If she’s there, you get a whole separate dialogue first between him and Karlach that seems to assume you’re still buddies, then you have to trigger it again for the “I though we are friends” bit that leads to a battle.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Vargatron posted:

Generally mindflayers enthrall their victims and use them as bodyguards or slave labor (or food). Having some captives armed makes sense if they're under complete psionic control.

Yeah mind flayers are generally accustomed to their prisoners barely even needing supervision, since they're kept mind-controlled and thus will never bother trying to escape or rise up. Every once in a while some illithids get ganked when this predictably fails, but mind flayer "society" is always surprised by it/has never adapted to it because the flayers themselves are relatively expendable as far as the Elder Brains are concerned, so a little outpost of them getting murked by their slaves once every century or so warrants little more than a shrug of the Brains' metaphorical shoulders

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
K so I am trying to recruit Minthara.

I have: kill Gut, killed Dror Ragzlin, and knocked out Minthara.

I haven’t rescued Halsin. Should I? I am in dire need of a Long Rest due to some poor planning.

If I Long Rest here doesn’t Halsin just show up at the Grove? Will doing that mess up recruiting Minthara or no?

Edit: I think I messed it up anyway, since I didn’t agree to raid the grove first. :(

HaB fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 7, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Professor Beetus posted:

I found this very confusing until I remembered that British people exist.

The cast of this game is almost uniformly English.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

HaB posted:

K so I am trying to recruit Minthara.

I have: kill Gut, killed Dror Ragzlin, and knocked out Minthara.

I haven’t rescued Halsin. Should I? I am in dire need of a Long Rest due to some poor planning.

If I Long Rest here doesn’t Halsin just show up at the Grove? Will doing that mess up recruiting Minthara or no?

Edit: I think I messed it up anyway, since I didn’t agree to raid the grove first. :(

Did you do it in that order? If you killed Dror before Monthara, you aggro everyone there, and turn them permanently hostile including Minthara. I think you have to knock out Minthara first while she is temporarily hostile, then everything else. And don't long rest after knocking her out, as she wakes up again and may go hostile. It's easy to mess things up actually.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JBP posted:

The cast of this game is almost uniformly English.

Yes and they are very likable in spite of that tremendous handicap

e: for real though I originally read that quote and pictured an actual bird and then thought about it and went "oh"

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 7, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

HaB posted:

This is not required.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

AgentHaiTo posted:

Did you do it in that order? If you killed Dror before Monthara, you aggro everyone there, and turn them permanently hostile including Minthara. I think you have to knock out Minthara first while she is temporarily hostile, then everything else. And don't long rest after knocking her out, as she wakes up again and may go hostile. It's easy to mess things up actually.

No, I did Gut, knocked out Minthara, then did Dror Ragzlin last.

I made sure she was Temp Hostile.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EorayMel posted:

He loves it when you sleep with Mizora, but he doesn't love it as much as when Astarion knows about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8MO0gwD35U

Just occurred to me: Can an origin PC Karlach or Wyll bang with Mizora?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I started my second playthrough on Tactician, and decided to do the Investigate Kagha quest that I had apparently missed the first time through. Was not prepared. Walked into the Swamp at Level 3, having basically only done the ruins and the immediate area around the Grove so without many items either. Did not have any idea what I was walking into with the Wood Woads and Mud Mephits. I barely managed to eke out a win with just my fighter and Shadowheart standing, having helped her up twice in the fight. Both Asterion and Gale went out after getting knocked down and then having enemies attack them again, which I don't think ever happened in Balanced! I only came through because Gale had managed to set fire to the Woads before dying, halting their regen, and I had a Haste potion to give my Battle Master fighter to blow through a bunch of Superiority attacks once I could actually attack without Disadvantage from Muddy. These early fights are brutal because your mage has 12 HP or something and can drop to any bad roll.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Just occurred to me: Can an origin PC Karlach or Wyll bang with Mizora?

Yep

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

HaB posted:

No, I did Gut, knocked out Minthara, then did Dror Ragzlin last.

I made sure she was Temp Hostile.

I think you've got it- I knocked out Minthara, killed the Priestess, long-rested, and then had to knock out Minthara again before I killed Raglin, and then I either rescued Halsin after that or left him standing in the dungeon and it was fine.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

it bugged out and made me the weird feral bhaal fucker even though I resisted at every turn and never got slayer form or did anything bhaal wanted but I got my dice

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do you have to do durge for honor mode? That seems like extra-hard mode.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Nope, but it does seem like a fun challenge

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

the cape was extremely helpful

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Welp, I guess I won't be recruiting Minsc this honor mode run. Protip: arrows of many targets can bounce to unconscious enemies!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

It can hit Invis ones too loving Githyanki :argh:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I did durge for my first honour mode run and it’s indeed extra hard mode. Having Aylin present for a couple fights makes life much easier

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The only thing that was challenging for me in the Durge Honor Mode was the fight with Orin, but that was mostly me being underprepared and a squishy caster.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Halsin loves to cum too much which let me tell you is definitely a disability

Do they actually show some ropes I never hooked up with Halsin he seemed way too needy.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The ropes are off screen but you just know they’re there

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Question re: honor mode. Are you making things needlessly difficult for yourself if you don't go all in on the brainworm powers?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Question re: honor mode. Are you making things needlessly difficult for yourself if you don't go all in on the brainworm powers?

Yes kind of. There’s no malus for having them and lots of them are very powerful.

If back in the crèche you pass all the checks in the zaithisk then the brainworm powers become insanely useful.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Apparently Durge is the easiest way to do it. Orin is the only mandatory boss fight in act 3 and if you have Slayer form you can just chump her.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Good god. The devs didn’t animate anything in this game sadder than Wyll’s face when you tell him you don’t want to dance tonight

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Trevor Hale posted:

Good god. The devs didn’t animate anything in this game sadder than Wyll’s face when you tell him you don’t want to dance tonight

"Wyll I don't wanna dance."

.......oh :(

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I finally beat da drat game. Anyone else do this? I basically had it in mind from the second I looted the item

thanks for lettin me borrow it ya jabroni

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BizarroAzrael posted:

When multiclassing, it doesn't matter what order you take the different class levels in does it? Just all the Eldritch Blast videos seem to say play to lvl 6 as Warlock, then respec and take Sorcerer levels then Warlock.

The order matters in a couple of respects:

The main one is casting stat for items: when you cast a spell via an item, like a scroll or a spell granted by a ring or something, it uses the casting stat of the last new class you took.

The other is proficiencies - sometimes you only get them when you take a class at level 1.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

"Wyll I don't wanna dance."

.......oh :(

For me this scene came right on the heels of some party banter in such he hits on Lae'zel, gets shot down, then immediately hits on Shadowheart, who shoots him down while pointing out that he just hit on Lae'zel in front and of her and got shot down. That made it a little easier in my run.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

:toot:

Special shout out to globe of invulnerability, which is probably the biggest "gently caress you, I win" button in a game full of them. In the final battle it can even no sell the netherbrain's platform deletion.

I'm a fan of how honor mode made me stick with my choices, generally, although I did miss being able to quickload when an npc kills themselves in a really stupid way. Looking at you here, Zanner, you could have waited 10 more seconds for all that hellfire to go away.

Also post-credits I got a scene where Raphael chewed me out for violating our contract and not giving him the crown, despite the fact that I destroyed the contract and murdered him extremely hard. I'm assume that's only supposed to trigger if you don't do House of Hope?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Neorxenawang posted:

For me this scene came right on the heels of some party banter in such he hits on Lae'zel, gets shot down, then immediately hits on Shadowheart, who shoots him down while pointing out that he just hit on Lae'zel in front and of her and got shot down. That made it a little easier in my run.

It came right after I gave Shadowheart the night orchid so I was already committed to her and he dropped a “the beating of ours hearts can keep time on me. Wyll, I love you dude, but that’s a bit much!

Bad enough I already had to say no to Karlach who wanted to visit me after everyone else had gone to sleep.

I feel like I handled platonic relationships much better in my second playthrough. This time around I’m tripping all the “please gently caress me” buttons on accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Neorxenawang posted:

the power of initiative knows no bounds