Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i gotta admit, the WAR lady makes the flip up sunglasses work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Once again, a reminder that flip-up sunglasses were very briefly kind of cool roundabout 1990.

Everybody wanted to look like they were on the trail of Ferris Bueller.

https://i.imgur.com/6nDfqfT.mp4

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Listen?

edit: gently caress, beaten

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 8, 2024

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

crankshaft sucks I hate it.

ed kudlick sucks I hate him. everyone his age is on their smartphone anyway looking at facebook memes all day

that rex morgan made me laugh out loud more than any comic i can remmeber for a while

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Giant Ethicist posted:

Flash Gordon is so drat good.

We Are Reproducing

Once again, a reminder that flip-up sunglasses were very briefly kind of cool roundabout 1990. Also, a linguistic note: Japanese is one of those languages where calling someone who isn’t in your family by their “family role” is pretty common, especially with things like auntie or uncle or grannie or gramps (or, almost only ever if you’re trying to pick someone up, elder brother or elder sister), but also (as here) mom or dad. Also also, getting mad at a guy for trying to pick her up using her baby is a bit rich from someone who has drawn comics about using her baby to pick up guys.

Pit Viper currently sells them.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: With Love From Rufus

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Haifisch posted:

So you're trying to tell me Jon's not a horrible pet owner for feeding his cat lasagna???

Does Jon ever actually feed Garfield in the comic itself or was that just a cartoon thing? It's been awhile since we've seen Garfield in the thread but I'm not sure it ever really shows up there.

Incidentally Willo567 you might find a more receptive audience to Calvin and Hobbes chat if you were regularly posting comics for us all to read and discuss on these prompts more slowly and naturalistically instead of being purely abstract and big picture about it. I mean, heck, just start from wherever you are right now if you're reading through them all. The last person to post them never finished that run and there's no rule saying we have to start comics from the beginning.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Everybody wanted to look like they were on the trail of Ferris Bueller.

Or like noted style role model Dwayne Wayne.

Pogo 2/11-13/52

Archie 3/14-16/49

The automatic cut-off for gas pumps was invented in 1939, but maybe Riverdale still has old-fashioned gas stations.

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/4-6/76

I like that Herbert thinks the best way to illustrate the concept of "flying saucer" is acting like he's about to do a dive.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 8, 2024

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:golfclap:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Modesty, a withered crone. HA yeah right.

Also: THE MAN FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 6-10, 2004)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Welcome back to A Sketchy Life, where I go through a vintage humor magazine that Henry Luce bought for the trademark to create photojournalism juggernaut that everyone seems to remember! Also we get to explore the unlocked DLC from Public Domain Day 2024. Content immune from takedown notices since 2019!

Anyway, let's kick off 1928 with the Broadway Number (January 9, 1928), wrapped in a dandy Fred G Cooper cover.

Edward Monks:

Garrett Price:

Emilio Amero, an out-of-nowhere addition to last year's rotation. I mean, there's modern, and there's modern...

J. Norman Lynd:

Don Herold:

And one of the magazine's patented two-page spreads, this time around from Russell Patterson:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

I posted the wrong 2 Big Nate comics yesterday so here's the one I missed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Goddamn, that Flash action sequence.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns has not updated since Saturday on Arcamax/CK-based sources, but is apparently on Gocomics now? OK.

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns has not updated since Saturday on Arcamax/CK-based sources, but is apparently on Gocomics now? OK.

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Don Victorio could cut hair at boot camp. lol

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 04, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 19, 1961)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/7/04

Brenda Starr 5/25/52

Brenda Starr -- I have taken the liberty of sending you this package for safe keeping -- Do not open it if you value your life. I hope your curiosity does not get the better of you -- Retread

Smokey Stover 2/1/59

Everyday Movies 2/15/37

"Oh yes, he barks. When he gets mad he's just like a police dog."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/22/42

Spoilered because Stamm is no better at drawing, or writing, Chinese people than he is black people.

Closer Than We Think! 2/1/59

We should have domed Arctic cities in Alaska. Get on it, you slackers in Barrow, Wainwright, and Prudhoe Bay!

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(9/20/1993)

(9/21/1993)

Ziggy

(7/1/1971)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mexikid Stories is great!

Jucika "488 - Jucika And The Parachute Jump Target"

"489 - Jucika Signs"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

I'm adding Classic Foxtrot to my lineup, because nobody told me not to. GoComics is currently in 2003:

And in Rose is Rose, I regret to inform you :siren: that drat baby is here :siren:

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
In today's evidence that newspapers are wholly out of touch, Wallace was dropped from its hometown paper in favor of Crankshaft

quote:

As part of the Gannett/USA TODAY Network The Providence Journal is implementing the corporate imperative to switch their comics page(s) to conform to some grouping of The Gannett 34.

Like all Gannett editors Lynne Sullivan, regional executive editor of The Providence Journal and Newport Daily News, is “thrilled” about the forthcoming changes:

For this reason, I’m thrilled to announce that The Providence Journal, along with newspapers across Gannett, will debut a refreshed comics page on Jan. 15.

Lynne notes some of the new (harumph) comics coming to the paper and some that will stay:

The Providence Journal’s comics page will include some of the most popular old favorites, such as “Peanuts,” “Dennis the Menace,” “Hagar the Horrible,” “Pickles” and “For Better or For Worse.” But we will also welcome some new comic strips, including “Crankshaft,” “Pearls Before Swine” and “Luann.”

With only an aside about the unnamed comics that the readers will lose:

Alas, we do say goodbye to a few comic strips. But times change, tastes change, and, as with everything we do, newspapers must adapt to better serve readers.

Unfortunately one comic that will disappear from the paper is Wallace the Brave by local cartoonist Will Henry. (I’m guessing the even more localler Gannett paper, The Newport Daily News, will also drop Wallace.)

One Providence Journal reader is not taking the paper’s abandonment of Wallace the Brave quietly:

PLEASE HELP SAVE WALLACE THE BRAVE FROM CORPORATE CUTS!!!

As a decades long subscriber to the Providence Journal I’ve seen many changes to the paper and I’m sad to say that 99% of them have been for the worse. Among those unfortunate changes I’ve seen formats and typefaces changed, staff chopped, and the paper’s news and entertainment coverage dwindle to a mere shell of what it once was. Lately the only thing that has kept me reading is the reward of the comics at the end, the highlight of which is by far “Wallace the Brave.”

This strip is beautifully drawn, brilliant, relevant, moving, witty, and hilarious. It is by far the best comic strip I’ve read since “Calvin and Hobbes” ended and I am incredibly proud of the fact that it is created by a Rhode Islander.

Letter writer Jennie Polan admits she is not a typical Journal reader:

Granted, I’m 44 years old, likely placing me in the middle to lower age range of your subscribing audience, and maybe your elderly readers like the same old boring drivel, but still… are you kidding me?! It is mind boggling!

The entire letter can be read at the Wallace the Brave Facebook page to which she sent a copy.

I would like them to do what their sister paper in Florida did. The Pensacola News Journal moved local the local comic strip they were carrying, Shrimp & Grits by Andy Marlette, to page two of the weekday editions and to the “Opinions” pages for their Sunday issue. Providence, and other papers that are being forced to kick local cartoonists from their funny pages, could do the same.

The Providence Journal has a history of supporting their local cartoonists, I hope that tradition continues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pancho Jueves posted:

In today's evidence that newspapers are wholly out of touch, Wallace was dropped from its hometown paper in favor of Crankshaft

What the gently caress.

THORN, February 1-3, 1983

So as I mentioned before, Jeff Smith wades into some controversy here. This is the strips the book presents as the "canon" versions:

Here's how they originally appeared (spoiler for intentional racism):

For those unaware (myself included), Kizzy is the name of a character from the Roots miniseries which wasn't exactly fresh in 1983 (having come out in 1977), but probably still well enough known that the reference was clear to readers. Jeff notes in the preceding interview that this was based directly on the mother of his Indian-descendant girlfriend-now-wife's roommate's mother who did, in fact, have a "black night" dog named Kizzy.

And Jeff's response that ran in The Lantern following this:

(The text above is written by fellow Lantern cartoonist Derf Backderf who was actually in the office when protestors came. Jeff rushed over to listen once he was told about what was happening.)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pancho Jueves posted:

BOOOOOO!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pancho Jueves posted:

this is why newspapers are dying

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

why don't they just put crankshaft to sleep?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Does Batiuk have a briefcase full of blackmail material or something

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Jesus, ditching Wallace but putting in garbage like Crankshaft and Luann? That's loving bullshit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

I know this one! It's because lie detectors are bullshit and their "indications" don't mean a drat thing.

Flash Gordon

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

EBB posted:

why don't they just put crankshaft to sleep?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Does Batiuk have a briefcase full of blackmail material or something

amigolupus posted:

Jesus, ditching Wallace but putting in garbage like Crankshaft and Luann? That's loving bullshit.

Today's Crankshaft should be deeply satisfying.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 26, 1935)

Peanuts (January 10, 1977)

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (July 29-31, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 12, 1940)

Out Our Way (October 4-6, 1943)

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Pancho Jueves posted:

The most annoying part of this is how For Better Or For Worse keeps going in so many papers. Isn't it still just reruns with the occasional dialogue change to unconvincingly imply that the strip is taking place in the modern era?

Even Crankshaft, loathsome as it is, provides new material. FOOB is just a zombie strip in the truest sense of the word. Bury it good and deep.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So I guess the idea is get Cooper so mad at Grumbels he wants to leave

New levels of spite here

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Pluggers have not yet discovered stretchy pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: With Love From Rufus