Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dumping is a relatively high priority task; if the corpses are outside, you need "dwarves gather outdoor refuse" enabled in standing orders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh poo poo i didnt have that set, thanks. hopefully my fort will start looking less miserable now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
one other neat corpse-related trick: if a butcherable animal dies (which is essentially any unintelligent being made of flesh), put a 1x1 corpse stockpile under it. The steam version automated butchering gives really high priority to butchering corpses in corpse stockpiles, so a dwarf will pretty much always come along and use it before it rots, and this will let you butcher cool things like dragons and forgotten beasts

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh motherfucker you still need to memorialize dwarves you toss into lava? i read somewhere that you didnt need to but that would explain why i keep getting ghosts

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yes, any dwarf who is neither memorialized nor entombed in a coffin will come back as a ghost. doesn't matter if the corpse has survived or not. I think that only applies to citizens, though, so it's fine if a caravan guard dies or something

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Monster Hunters will also haunt your poo poo.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

monster hunters are also 90% of the reason fights keep breaking out in the first place tbh. this one rear end in a top hat is in and out of the dungeon all the time and im considering just dropping him in a pit somewhere

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Make a 1x1 pit of lava, chuck him in it, cast it as obsidian then dig it out and use that as the stone for his memorial.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

Make a 1x1 pit of lava, chuck him in it, cast it as obsidian then dig it out and use that as the stone for his memorial.

This is the most Dwarven thing I can imagine. Honestly, monster hunters don't deserve it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Being an overly ornery drunk who starts too many fights is also pretty dwarven though. I feel dwarves would understand the need to get rid of him for the good of the fortress, but such (involuntary) sacrifice should be remebered.

Alternatively proceed as above, but use the obsidian to make a statue of some monster he ran away from in his history, and make his memorial out of some random peice of soapstone or something. Unfortunately no matter how much you hate someone I don't think you can memorialse them with a peice of wood.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

just had some goblins show up, immediately turn around and leave before even moving 1 tile towards my fort, before a pool of blood started to seep in from where they just were lol

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Pharnakes posted:

Unfortunately no matter how much you hate someone I don't think you can memorialse them with a peice of wood.

Is petrified wood not a thing anymore? It's been a while since I've seen it, but if it's still in, you might be able to order a few pieces from the mountainhome for use in memorializing your most annoying citizens.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol im building a new tavern and i had my dwarves make some gold statues for it. one of them made a statue of our old expedition leader (and current duke) getting told to gently caress off

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For anyone looking to safely crack open the gem-encrusted obsidian:

carve a fortification in the wall. Melee demons can be safely shot through the fortification, and ranged demons will at least only get one dwarf instead of potentially ending your fort

Apparently in the steam version specifically, building a glass floor on the layer above will let you peek down but that's a little too cheesy for me

e: also carve fortifications into corners when possible because fire can't go diagonally lol. Bolts can though!

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 4, 2024

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

how would you deal with 31 reptile men in the caves that seem to just get more and more backup the longer your dwarves are around

i have a full squad of steel guys but i get the feeling theyd just get swarmed and overwhelmed

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You stop being a coward and murder them. HTH

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A dwarf in full steel and at least decent combat skills is basically immune to regular enemies. Theoretically they can be overwhelmed by sheer numbers but it takes a lot

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well by "full steel" i mean steel helm, breastplate, greaves and gauntlets i dont think that covers absolutely everything. i might see if they can handle themselves better now though. when they first showed up they completely overwhelmed my militia and cut my fort's population in half lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

also they keep hiding in the giant lakes of water down here so my dwarves cant really attack them without drowning

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ah, that might be worrisome. A stray hit to their foot could knock them prone where they're helpless. They'll still probably perform well, but ideally you want actually complete coverage.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

hbag posted:

also they keep hiding in the giant lakes of water down here so my dwarves cant really attack them without drowning

Drain them.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

good idea if i can think of/find a good place to drain it to. does just piping it to the edge of the map work?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hbag posted:

good idea if i can think of/find a good place to drain it to. does just piping it to the edge of the map work?

Water will drain out of the edge of the map if you carve a fortification into the rock

Though I believe underwater lakes which are connected to the edge of the map infinitely produce water, which makes it very troublesome to drain specific sections of them

you can block off sections of water with cave-ins but it's a finnicky engineering project with a lot of ways it can go wrong or not do the thing you want

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

Water will drain out of the edge of the map if you carve a fortification into the rock

Though I believe underwater lakes which are connected to the edge of the map infinitely produce water, which makes it very troublesome to drain specific sections of them

you can block off sections of water with cave-ins but it's a finnicky engineering project with a lot of ways it can go wrong or not do the thing you want
Magma is an excellent solution to underground lakes:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

hbag posted:

how would you deal with 31 reptile men in the caves that seem to just get more and more backup the longer your dwarves are around

i have a full squad of steel guys but i get the feeling theyd just get swarmed and overwhelmed

Just build a trap corridor. Architecture is more deadly than militaries in this game. Then put some dogs on leashes on both ends of the trap corridor to draw them in.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you have limited amounts of a good metal for Reasons, what equipment slots will provide the most benefit? I'm sort of assuming that the answer is weapon followed by...breastplate then helm?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

cheetah7071 posted:

If you have limited amounts of a good metal for Reasons, what equipment slots will provide the most benefit? I'm sort of assuming that the answer is weapon followed by...breastplate then helm?

I'd consider decking out a smaller number of dwarves fully in your best metals, and then the rest fully in your worse options. If you are in a situation were having a helmet or breastplate of a worse material is a problem, the same is generally true for gauntlets and boots, as a hefty arm or leg injury can take the dwarf out of the fight anyway. And with that dwarf goes the good weapon, helmet and breastplate.

You can probably make an argument for the weapon though, if your dwarves have a numbers advantage against something big.

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 4, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

hbag posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

I always had pretty good luck making a massive tunnel underneath said body of water and just having it drain either into the next cavern layer to evaporate or drain off map, or into a very large series of fortifications. You can drain it faster than the water will refill in most cases and/or use the lower water levels to do whatever you need to do.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

by the way, im assuming caravans no longer asking me if i want anything specific next time has something to do with my monarch getting killed by cavern dwellers and hurting my reputation, or something?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is there a benefit to embarking in a high savagery area outside of the animals going berserk? I thought it was a risk/reward sort of thing but as I deal with my umpteenth giant raven attack in 4 years I'm beginning to think it's all risk and no reward.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fortis posted:

Is there a benefit to embarking in a high savagery area outside of the animals going berserk? I thought it was a risk/reward sort of thing but as I deal with my umpteenth giant raven attack in 4 years I'm beginning to think it's all risk and no reward.

The reward is what you make of it, friend

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dwarf Fortress isn't really a game that's about balanced risk/reward ratios. Sometimes doing something risky is just a bad idea. It is a good way to generate Fun though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fortis posted:

Sounds like you get a bunch of free meat, bones, and military training, what else do you want

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Spaced God posted:

The reward is what you make of it, friend

I guess it's the friends I've made along the way... and the lesson that those friends are not giant birds or yaks.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Dwarf Fortress isn't really a game that's about balanced risk/reward ratios. Sometimes doing something risky is just a bad idea. It is a good way to generate Fun though.

Well, at least it's incentivizing me to live exclusively underground!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I think there might be some plants and animals you can only find in a savage biome but yeah it's more for if you just want a more challenging experience. The risk is the reward.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Savage biomes have higher ratios of giant variants of animals, and some biome specific plants. Imo the only benefit of being in a savage biome is being able to capture said giant animals as war beasts.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah there's def some animals that are only in certain biomes, or at least were

joyous wilds were always a fav for me

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Savage Biomes are for giant capybaras.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
At steam launch the numbers were tuned way wrong and if you ever fished then the animals would instantly agitate and stay agitated forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cheetah7071 posted:

At steam launch the numbers were tuned way wrong and if you ever fished then the animals would instantly agitate and stay agitated forever
I remember my first Steam build fortress fell apart for just this reason: like sixteen giant starlings flew inside and killed so many people it was like "my four guys in steel, one dude who was in the basement for some reason, and 12 kids."