Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Jack Trades posted:

My Time at Sandrock is really good and I'm not even that into these kinds of games normally.

Yeah sandrock was a huge contender for my game of the year, game owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

GhostDog posted:

Thanks, leaning more towards killing Chaos now, but going to wait for a Steam sale I think.

If you're ok with Epic, their holiday sale is still ongoing till the 10th, and when you combine it with the Epic coupon for an additional 33% off, you can pick up Stranger of Paradise for $17.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I found Sekiro's parry system easier to work with than Wo Long's, or at least more forgiving, since you can legitimately feather the parry/block button in Sekiro and not be punished too badly for it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Every time someone talks about Stranger of Paradise my mind immediately jumps to Paradise Killer for some reason and for a brief moment I’m wondering what part of that game I missed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Every time someone talks about Stranger of Paradise my mind immediately jumps to Paradise Killer for some reason and for a brief moment I’m wondering what part of that game I missed.

They aren't that different, all things considered.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Kibayasu posted:

I so need a Paradise Killer 2. :negative:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Foul Fowl posted:

wandering into a high level area and getting slaughtered is a Feature, not an Issue, in my Gamer Hermeneutics

See, that's fun. What's not fun is exploring an early area late and having literally zero challenge the whole time. Also, it basically means you can't explore the entire map at the start. Which can be good or bad so I have mixed feelings about level scaling, in many cases I think it's done well and I prefer it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Everspace 2 levels up all the old zones at certain points, so at the end of the game everybody's max level & you can get good loot anywhere

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Runa posted:

I found Sekiro's parry system easier to work with than Wo Long's, or at least more forgiving, since you can legitimately feather the parry/block button in Sekiro and not be punished too badly for it.
Wo Long's is very forgiving, the block button and parry button are different and you can hold block when you're trying to parry so if you fail you'll still block. The only downside is that it'll hit your spirit gauge if you mistime the parry, but it's up to you if that's better than eating the damage outright.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Gripper posted:

Wo Long's is very forgiving, the block button and parry button are different and you can hold block when you're trying to parry so if you fail you'll still block. The only downside is that it'll hit your spirit gauge if you mistime the parry, but it's up to you if that's better than eating the damage outright.

Huh I missed that in the demo, cheers

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does anyone play Cosmoteer? Does it have a thread? I found a space station with very well armoured deck guns, lots of ammo and manpower. It also has flak guns which will mow down my missiles. Basically it melts my boat and does more damage than me.

What is the solution here? Graft a rail gun to the side of the boat?

Make a new boat with railgun or that red ion gun? Ie something with more range and which flak can’t shoot down.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Push it into the sun.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

FutureCop posted:

If you're ok with Epic, their holiday sale is still ongoing till the 10th, and when you combine it with the Epic coupon for an additional 33% off, you can pick up Stranger of Paradise for $17.

Sure, I'll take Tim's deal. My soul is forfeit.

FishMcCool posted:

I so need a Paradise Killer 2. :negative:

Same.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I still have the DLC to play but Case of the Golden idol was a great time! Never used a hint, or really brute forced it, either.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Beat Wall World. I liked the mix of gameplay but there are some tedious parts that involved getting resources in a certain order and finding keys that was pretty hard/tedious. Once you get all the metaprogression stuff it made it pretty easy though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

GhostDog posted:

If I like the combat and love the exploration in Souls games, did not click with those things in Sekiro, and love the combat in Nioh 2 - will I enjoy Wo Long? Or maybe Strangers Of Paradise?

Neither game has the same kind of exploration as Souls/Elden since their environments are smaller. As someone who's bad at games, I found Sekiro and Nioh 2 both too hard and not interesting enough to dig in and get better. I could muddle through Wo Long a bit and I thought it was more interesting than Nioh, but it still had lots of frustration. In particular the very first boss is a mechanics check I found very rough. The build space is more narrow than Souls.

Strangers is nowhere near as hard as those other games and is a bit messier mechanically with lots of RPG elements. More like Dragon's Dogma in certain ways of its RPG/combat though otherwise it is nothing like it (Strangers is very level based and has no reactive quest stuff). It has a ton of classes and RPG bits. Strangers is generally a much more chill game. It's kinda like the Jedi Souls style game except with a weird crazy story.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Reminder that all the recent team ninja games have great multiplayer that you can use for 95% of the content and it cuts the difficulty in half so they’re great games to play with a friend. I got frustrated with nioh 1 solo and quit halfway through but played nioh 2 multiplayer with my brother on steam, and it’s one of my favorite games even though it’s basically the same as 1. I would definitely not have had the patience to put up with it solo but when you can split enemy attention and revive each other after death a few times there’s a lot less pressure.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

FuzzySlippers posted:

Strangers is nowhere near as hard as those other games and is a bit messier mechanically with lots of RPG elements. More like Dragon's Dogma in certain ways of its RPG/combat though otherwise it is nothing like it (Strangers is very level based and has no reactive quest stuff). It has a ton of classes and RPG bits. Strangers is generally a much more chill game. It's kinda like the Jedi Souls style game except with a weird crazy story.
I had more trouble with bosses in Stranger of Paradise than I did in Wo Long and the DS series honestly, I think because of how technical and how loving long some of the fights are - in DS you can generally just outmaneuver bosses and get hits in occasionally to make progress, in Stranger of Paradise there are fights where you're juggling all of your abilities, soul shield, block, and dodge for 10+ minutes straight against fast and aggressive bosses, and those bosses are main-mission ones you can't avoid like Tiamat who also happens to be the first major boss of the game.

It might not consistently have that difficulty but for me it was enough to put it above Elden Ring and the DS series at least.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Difficulty in SoP is weird because if you just run white mage as one of your classes you can spam regen and haste to trivialize everything, but if you don't run white mage it can be very difficult

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I think a lot of the boss difficulty in Stranger of Paradise has to do with if you've utilized one of the "do all the damage fast enough to just, phase the boss and then kill them before they act" skills with a build to support it. I know I got enough use out of the gun move that channels a laser beam (starlight?) with the stats to sustain it and ramp the damage that once I got past the base game and into the NG+-style content I was just...doing that, and winning, forever. And before that I was using the one dagger skill that sounds like it's defensive (water wall? something?) that actually channels a short-range murder field and does the same thing but you have to be in melee range to start chunking them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Difficulty in SoP is weird because if you just run sage as one of your classes you can cast ultima to trivialize everything, but if you don't run sage it can be very difficult

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

As I recall Strangers has an actual difficulty setting you can change at any time so just set it lower if it gets annoying (on top of the usual spec whatever OP pseudo difficulty adjustment). Not an option in Sekiro, Woo Long, Souls, Nioh, etc.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Souls difficulty slider(s) exist(s), with "str-only solo" on one end and "magic"&/or"Summon Signs" on the other.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In Elden Ring otoh a STR-based jump attack build can be OP.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It’s not the same as a menu option you can change at any time that changes the difficulty of the game no matter how you play it and without researching builds online.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Live A Live after picking it up in the sale. Such a great game. Glad I gave it a shot, as I missed the original release 30 years ago. This RPG was ahead of its time in the 90s. I always appreciate short RPGs as well. I nearly 100%ed the game after 22 hours. I think I have another ending and hidden boss judging by the achievements.

There are a lot of boss fights in this game! Though I’ll fight bosses all day every day as long as I get to listen to Megalomania. That track absolutely whips.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
stranger of paradise is the by far the least fromsoft-like of all of team ninja's recent action rpgs. it's not like there's no resemblance but it's pretty weak and i'm not sure anyone would be rushing to make the comparison if team ninja didn't develop it. i thought the combat in it was just ok - there's some decent ideas but they could really use some more work. it's just a messy, convoluted system and the balance of the game is pretty weird in general

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FuzzySlippers posted:

As I recall Strangers has an actual difficulty setting you can change at any time so just set it lower if it gets annoying (on top of the usual spec whatever OP pseudo difficulty adjustment). Not an option in Sekiro, Woo Long, Souls, Nioh, etc.

Sekiro has difficulty settings.

edit: Dark Souls 2 did too now that I think about it

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Willatron posted:

Imagine spending $20 on what is basically a newgrounds flash game just because it has your favorite angry racist attached to it.

funny you say that, anyone remember EMOGAME? Or better yet EMOGAME 2, which came out just before the 2004 election and was very political?

looks almost exactly like that, twenty years later with twenty years' more internet brainrot to absorb

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I feel like I spent a grand (i didn’t don’t worry) on the Christmas sale And still missed what I actually wanted

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No need to buy games, only play Darktide.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I think I've about had enough Against the Storm. I like the idea of a roguelite survival city builder, and I hope this game ushers in some interest to expand on the genre, but the game itself doesn't have enough interesting things going on for me to commit to iterating over the same thing a hundred times. Kind of do the same thing every single map, the meta progression is obnoxiously incremental (spending an hour in a run to save up enough resources to increase walking speed by 2%, say), and some maps are just frustrating for RNG reasons. It also suffers from that deckbuilder problem where your progress adds so many variables to the upgrades that you end up filling your options with junk. I think this would work better as a roguelite RTS, kind of like Starcraft 2 but with more random poo poo.

credburn fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 8, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

credburn posted:

I think I've about had enough Against the Storm. I like the idea of a roguelite survival city builder, and I hope this game ushers in some interest to expand on the genre, but the game itself doesn't have enough interesting things going on for me to commit to iterating over the same thing a hundred times. Kind of do the same thing every single map, the meta progression is obnoxiously incremental (spending an hour in a run to save up enough resources to increase walking speed by 2%, say), and some maps are just frustrating for RNG reasons. It also suffers from that deckbuilder problem where your progress adds so many variables to the upgrades that you end up filling your options with junk. I think this would work better as a roguelite RTS, kind of like Starcraft 2 but with more random poo poo.

The resources you get per map is linked to difficulty, so if you feel progression is too slow you can up the difficulty. It still takes quite some time, yeah.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Metaprogression is a blight upon modern games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Metaprogression is a blight upon modern games.

Depends on the game :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Depends on the game :shrug:

You're right, some of them are all metaprogression, no game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I somehow had Infinite Wealth pegged for end of February, I guess killing Chaos has to wait a bit longer, gonna instead finish some smaller game from my backlog instead.

But speaking of Infinite Wealth, do I understand correctly that New Game Plus is hidden behind the Master Vacation DLC? That's some greedy bullshit right there.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

You're right, some of them are all metaprogression, no game.
Once you reach rogue legacy 2 levels of "oops all metaprogression" it's like an idle clicker where each click is like a 2 hour long run

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Internet Explorer posted:

No need to buy games, only play Vampire Survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

credburn posted:

I definitely agree that the metaprog in Against the Storm is too slow for its own good, especially since a lot of gamechanging mechanics are 30 or so runs deep into the unlock tree. Also, to be fair, those 2% increases are always tied to something more significant, like unlocking a new mechanic or building + the incremental advantage. They're never on their own.