Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

how much have how many past iterations of this thread poo poo on EMALS cause it's a lot

There are a lot of legitimate gripes with EMALS, but this rant is more like someone complaining about the F-22 because it's not more F-18s and they were really cool in Top Gun. At an event where he's asking people to put him in charge of the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
2017 Trump for comparison,

quote:

I said, “You don’t use steam anymore for catapult?” “No sir.” I said, “Ah, how is it working?” “Sir, not good. Not good. Doesn’t have the power. You know the steam is just brutal. You see that sucker going and steam’s going all over the place, there’s planes thrown in the air.”

It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it’s very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out. And I said—and now they want to buy more aircraft carriers. I said, “What system are you going to be—” “Sir, we’re staying with digital.” I said, “No you’re not. You going to goddamned steam, the digital costs hundreds of millions of dollars more money and it’s no good.”

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Cadet Bone Spur is once again a master of strategy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm enjoying him calling for John Deere. Something tells me that's the only manufacturer he knows of

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm enjoying him calling for John Deere. Something tells me that's the only manufacturer he knows of

Nah he has thoughts about construction equipment.

Trump: I know 'more about Caterpillar tractors than the people that work there'

One of his stock anecdotes in 2015–2016 was that all his real estate developer buddies were buying Komatsu and not Caterpillar.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hobbesmaster posted:

And if anyone has seen that door, please email the ntsb, thanks!

poo poo like this is really fuckin freaky:

https://twitter.com/SeanSafyre/status/1744138937239822685

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The freakiest thing is who among us doesn’t have their phone lock itself after a few minutes?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The freakiest thing is who among us doesn’t have their phone lock itself after a few minutes?

Seriously

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Bobo can't hang out with Mr. Public Rub 'n Tug anymore so she's beating on her ex:

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1744038241357930687

Platystemon posted:

2017 Trump for comparison,

What did magnets do to one of his resorts to make him hate them?

Platystemon posted:

Nah he has thoughts about construction equipment.

Trump: I know 'more about Caterpillar tractors than the people that work there'

One of his stock anecdotes in 2015–2016 was that all his real estate developer buddies were buying Komatsu and not Caterpillar.

I can't stand his "I know more about () than the () do" diatribes. He lost me in '16 going "I know more about war...than the generals...".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I’m better it was either stuck on the boarding pass screen that keeps it on or the password was the same as everyone’s luggage and they realized that punching that in is technically a crime before talking to the feds

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Jacquel48206879/status/1744059369715634247

Alternative facts?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well, why didn’t they check in with the Beringians before just hopping in their boats and floating down the coast?!?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

To be fair a whole lot of illegal immigrants over 300 years ago were a major problem

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The great plains lions, direwolves, cave bears, mammoths, and giant sloths are all going :hmmyes: right now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Platystemon posted:

My girlfriend, for some loving reason.

Why yes she’s always out of battery.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

My girlfriend, for some loving reason.

Why yes she’s always out of battery.

Be careful she doesn't slam fire. :v:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bobo can't hang out with Mr. Public Rub 'n Tug anymore so she's beating on her ex:

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1744038241357930687

What did magnets do to one of his resorts to make him hate them?

I can't stand his "I know more about () than the () do" diatribes. He lost me in '16 going "I know more about war...than the generals...".

That's when he lost you?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows

1010 years ago. Checkmate, libs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
IMO it has to be at least fifteen hundred to credibly argue plural “thousands” via rounding.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Maybe he's a full-on eco-fascist and rejects the legitimacy of the paleolithic peopling of the Americas?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat Trump is going to get wrecked even worse by late night talk show hosts in his second term

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

maffew buildings posted:

drat Trump is going to get wrecked even worse by sundown rant show hosts in his second term

Fixed that for you.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

drat Trump is going to get wrecked even worse by late night talk show hosts in his second term

Do those chat shows even carry any meaningful impact anymore? They whole lot seem so painfully dull and air so late.

Granted, my point of reference are old Letterman Top Ten books that serve as backseat reading material in my wagon, and why yes, I go to bed most nights by 10:30pm. More oatmeal and black coffee, please.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
No they don't, which is the point I'm pretty sure

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I'm sure fallon will bring on seinfeld again to do an amazing piece on dating 15 year olds in your 40s and how it can bring the trumpers and the left together

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I feel like there's a pattern about Russia, the right wing culture wars, and brics member states that also being majorly fossil fuels dependant that I'm not smart enough to fully grasp.

https://www.miningreview.com/coal/the-realities-of-coal-demand-in-brics/

https://x.com/VuslatBayoglu/status/1734269542648398084?s=20

https://x.com/VuslatBayoglu/status/1732454290218787166?s=20

Iran just got BRICS membership.

Argentina, which I believe has some oil, declined joining BRICS recently but they apparently have a loose cannon in the presidency so who knows what their politics will bear as tensions on Israel-Palestine-Iran get worse.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

I feel like there's a pattern about Russia, the right wing culture wars, and brics member states that also being majorly fossil fuels dependant that I'm not smart enough to fully grasp.

https://www.miningreview.com/coal/the-realities-of-coal-demand-in-brics/

https://x.com/VuslatBayoglu/status/1734269542648398084?s=20

https://x.com/VuslatBayoglu/status/1732454290218787166?s=20

Iran just got BRICS membership.

Argentina, which I believe has some oil, declined joining BRICS recently but they apparently have a loose cannon in the presidency so who knows what their politics will bear as tensions on Israel-Palestine-Iran get worse.

The BRICs aren't really to the point of operating under a general geopolitical consensus like Europe and the US/Canada are. To take your I/P example, India is squarely behind Israel (which aligns with Modi's domestic agenda of Hindu nationalism) and is contending with Iranian hostilities in the Indian ocean; China is neutral (needing to court MEA for political and economic reasons while also wanting to maintain their own campaign to crush the Uyghurs); Russia is gleefully playing both sides against each other for their benefit in both Ukraine and building economic ties within MEA; and Brazil is somewhat supporting the Palestinians.

Even putting that aside, India sees China as a major threat and has formed a defense partnership with the US, Australia, and Japan. Brazil maintains close diplomatic and economic ties to the US and is taking an aggressive posture against Venezuela's attempts to annex Guyana (knowing the US will back them diplomatically and possibly militarily), which is in direct opposition to Russia's military and economic support for Maduro's regime. And the EU, US, SK, and Japan are all China's four biggest trading partners (Russia is 10th, Brazil is 11th, and India is 13th). Being in the BRICs club does allow them to benefit from bypassing western sanctions and red-tape when feasible, but it's more a marriage of economic convenience rather than a unified geopolitical bloc.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 8, 2024

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
In German news: farmers mad
Why farmers mad? Because they're going to be losing agricultural diesel subsidies (slowly and over time)
What farmers do? Block traffic

Public reaction: So brave, ARE HEROES :swoon:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-farmers-block-roads-highway-ramps-protest-subsidy-cuts-2024-01-08/

Quick callback to last year: "Last generation" protesters mad
Why protesters mad? Because we're loving up the planet for literally everyone
What protesters do? Block traffic

Public reaction: T̵̡̬͙̰̝̥̩̭̄̑͗̽͘O̶̧̜͔̣̓́̄̎̽̒͗̔Ŕ̸̢͌́T̴̡̛̖̝̞̝͕̀̆̾̚Ư̸͎̠̹̈́͋̊̇̆͠͠R̴̼̱̹̤͙͆̋̐̇̈́È̴̡̲̟̻̗̐ ̷̮̿̏͂̔̀͝Ṭ̸̘̦͎̑͌͑̚Ḩ̴̳̩̮̒́̄̽̽̐͜͜E̷͉̮͐̉M̵̲͇͎͓̂̍͠ ̴̡̨̪͓̆̃̓̇̚Ǎ̴͔̤̠̻̞ͅN̶̨̗̤͎͐̐̈́́͝D̴̢̜̠͙̮͑͗ͅ ̴͙̇̇͑͂̇͠M̴̙̦͚̜͑͊͌̈́͜͜U̶̼̦̰͚͚̐̂͌̆̎͛̕Ŗ̸̪͔̹̥̼̺̓̾͋̐͝Ḑ̸͎͔͚̝̊͑͒̈̌E̴̛̛̖̪͍͚͖͈̳̿̒͆̇̐̚ͅR̴̢̳̠͚͌̎̽́̾͘ ̸̤̺̓̀̽͋̊̓͝T̵́͒̀̋̅̾̈́͜͝Ḧ̵̗̰̝́̔̄͂̏̆͘E̸̼̬͎̗̘̼͎̺͒̅Ȋ̶͙͔̰̙̰̎͛̿̚ͅR̴̢̢̢͓̼̹̮̬̓́͆͝ ̴̺̲͎͖̬̥̿́͋̉́͗͊F̷̢̮͍̦̔̾͝͝A̸̰͙̾M̷̢̨͖̮̫̞͙͈̔̆͌Ǐ̶͉̝͕̐͝L̴̩̤̤͎̬̻̀I̸̟̪̲͓͔̟͇̩͘È̶͙̬̤̪͈̱͊̎̉̊Ś̸̗̲̼̜͈͓̩̈̊́̄̏͘ :unsmigghh:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Well I think I mean vis-a-vis our domestic right wing culture war on green energy, and the actual players against the US in cyber warfare, but that last post also adds to my allusion to an organized effort globally to keep the money going certain places, usually spearheaded by far right populist voices.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 8, 2024

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Why farmers mad? Because they're going to be losing agricultural diesel subsidies (slowly and over time)

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-farmers-block-roads-highway-ramps-protest-subsidy-cuts-2024-01-08/

Public reaction: T̵̡̬͙̰̝̥̩̭̄̑͗̽͘O̶̧̜͔̣̓́̄̎̽̒͗̔Ŕ̸̢͌́T̴̡̛̖̝̞̝͕̀̆̾̚Ư̸͎̠̹̈́͋̊̇̆͠͠R̴̼̱̹̤͙͆̋̐̇̈́È̴̡̲̟̻̗̐ ̷̮̿̏͂̔̀͝Ṭ̸̘̦͎̑͌͑̚Ḩ̴̳̩̮̒́̄̽̽̐͜͜E̷͉̮͐̉M̵̲͇͎͓̂̍͠ ̴̡̨̪͓̆̃̓̇̚Ǎ̴͔̤̠̻̞ͅN̶̨̗̤͎͐̐̈́́͝D̴̢̜̠͙̮͑͗ͅ ̴͙̇̇͑͂̇͠M̴̙̦͚̜͑͊͌̈́͜͜U̶̼̦̰͚͚̐̂͌̆̎͛̕Ŗ̸̪͔̹̥̼̺̓̾͋̐͝Ḑ̸͎͔͚̝̊͑͒̈̌E̴̛̛̖̪͍͚͖͈̳̿̒͆̇̐̚ͅR̴̢̳̠͚͌̎̽́̾͘ ̸̤̺̓̀̽͋̊̓͝T̵́͒̀̋̅̾̈́͜͝Ḧ̵̗̰̝́̔̄͂̏̆͘E̸̼̬͎̗̘̼͎̺͒̅Ȋ̶͙͔̰̙̰̎͛̿̚ͅR̴̢̢̢͓̼̹̮̬̓́͆͝ ̴̺̲͎͖̬̥̿́͋̉́͗͊F̷̢̮͍̦̔̾͝͝A̸̰͙̾M̷̢̨͖̮̫̞͙͈̔̆͌Ǐ̶͉̝͕̐͝L̴̩̤̤͎̬̻̀I̸̟̪̲͓͔̟͇̩͘È̶͙̬̤̪͈̱͊̎̉̊Ś̸̗̲̼̜͈͓̩̈̊́̄̏͘ :unsmigghh:

Wow sounds like here! Seattle had a protest on I-5 calling for a ceasefire of the I/P war…the news coverage didn’t even mention Israel or Palestine, just “Protest in Seattle has been removed” and all the commenters were calling it an ‘insurrection’ and/or calling for the violent murder of all the (50-100) people involved.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

i mean, without diesel subsidies, its going to raise food prices and thats something an idiot can grasp. an idiot cannot grasp the idea of the world dying, so obviously theres going to be a disproportionate reaction from the idiots

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

stackofflapjacks posted:

Wow sounds like here! Seattle had a protest on I-5 calling for a ceasefire of the I/P war…the news coverage didn’t even mention Israel or Palestine, just “Protest in Seattle has been removed” and all the commenters were calling it an ‘insurrection’ and/or calling for the violent murder of all the (50-100) people involved.

Stopping interstate traffic seems like a really bad way to try and shift public opinion on a topic. I can't think of a single time it was ever helpful in the US.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My Spirit Otter posted:

i mean, without diesel subsidies, its going to raise food prices and thats something an idiot can grasp. an idiot cannot grasp the idea of the world dying, so obviously theres going to be a disproportionate reaction from the idiots

Charging the market rate for food? What is this a free democratic state? I loving hate government subsidies because the same people who get them in the states are first to whine about welfare.

How about we change the name to welfare from subsidies and then listen to all the blubbering on why it’s different.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Grip it and rip it posted:

Stopping interstate traffic seems like a really bad way to try and shift public opinion on a topic. I can't think of a single time it was ever helpful in the US.

I think it only works for a topic that people already have majority-hardened opinions about and didn't know it was a thing going on. So it works for the German farm subsidy topic - vast majority might be in favor of it and didn't know it was going away. Those people are willing to ignore the assholeishness of the traffic blockade. Anything that doesn't have that large majority won't get that benefit of the doubt.

Example: Biden gave a speech today at Mother Emanuel AME in Charleston, SC, a historically black church. The pastor specifically said at the start to hold any commentaries and protests about anything else because it wasn't the time/place for them. Two white people interrupted Biden's speech yelling about the Israeli war. (Edit: looks like there was a third protestor, a black woman, so not just white protestors)

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 8, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
uh this doesn't sound good for Boeing's QA:

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1744455383584997603

quote:

United Airlines has found loose bolts and other parts on 737 Max 9 plug doors as it inspects its fleet of Boeing jets following the Friday rapid depressurization aboard an Alaska Airlines jet of the same make, according to three people familiar with the findings.

The discrepant bolts and other parts on the plug doors have been found on at least five aircraft, one of the people told The Air Current.

Representatives for United and Boeing did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going If it's not Airbus, it's sus.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Gee, it nosedives into the ground twice killing everyone and now it's doors can fall off fleet wide.

Hmmm. Might not trust these 737 MAX planes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Jesus christ, loose bolts? I wasn't even aviation mechanics rated, I worked on some stuff inside the plane, and they would have fist-hosed us with sandpaper if we didn't sign eldritch pacts with our souls stating we torqued every single last bolt, screw, and fastening. Of which every single last one of them for the entire airframe was on a huge rear end check list that had to be taken step-by-step, in order, one at a time, with a buddy system, both of us signing off on it. Then every single last tool that was even allowed to be in the building had to be returned to it's designated, serialized place on a wall that had black foam cutouts over a red spray-painted board backing.

That wasn't even working on the loving airframe!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sure it might not be the most effective means of protest but what is up with the general public turning into pure beacons of rage slavering for the crunch of protesters under their tires in this specific case?

Traffic being so dogshit in general yet a concept without an easy single target for ire? Suddenly someone in the road with a sign become that target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Doing anything that inconviniences people is arguably the most effective form. They were out there, they were in the news, they caused a real, physical impact with their protests.

Given that the US already seems to be wholly full-throated support of Israel, I don't think any outrage over a traffic delay is going to push the needle any further in that direction.