Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

god dammit, the n64 kicks rear end.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Leadthumb posted:

I loved the 64, LOVED it. But nothing on there stands the test of time except like mario 64, starfox and ocarina. maybe I'm forgetting some but that says something.

Arrhythmia posted:

N64 is win provided you only play nintendo developed games, turok 2, golden-eye, and perfect dark.

this and the port of NFL Blitz were the peak of N64 gaming, everything else ranges from forgettable to downright garbage

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ArfJason posted:

Like as a kid you cant put to words or qualify what exactly makes for a Bad Videogame since youre just taken in by the playable cartoon on your tv, but x6 was like figuring out a tough crossowrd clue, suddenly everything clicked and the rest of the puzzle flowed out naturally. Its all so clear now; Videogames can suck dick

i played a lot of tie-in shlock as a Gamecube/GBA kid but this was the one that finally made me realize that

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

tmfc posted:

this and the port of NFL Blitz were the peak of N64 gaming, everything else ranges from forgettable to downright garbage

sorry i've turned around on this. n64 loving whipped.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

n64 inveted rumble, nuff said.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

N64 is win provided you only play nintendo developed games, turok 2, golden-eye, and perfect dark.

that's still like 20+ of th best games of all time. also like, mischief makers, ogre battle 64, beetle adventure racing, ogre battle 64, banjo kazooie, rogue squadron, 1080, space station silicon valley, some other stuff

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

that's still like 20+ of th best games of all time. also like, mischief makers, ogre battle 64, beetle adventure racing, ogre battle 64, banjo kazooie, rogue squadron, 1080, space station silicon valley, some other stuff

mischief makers(hey watch it), ogre battle 64, ogre battle 64(lol), space station silicon valley(gonna pick this for game club now gently caress!), some other stuff(?)

okay making a thread

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

do it tomorrow so I cn do that instead of working

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. Tetris Effect Connected
2. Alan Wake 2
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
X-Men for NES was the first game I stopped playing because it sucked so bad. I think I already knew games could be terrible by then though, hell I rented Bart vs the Space Mutants repeatedly.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
If you kept renting it then you didnt

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

absolutely anything posted:

that was yoshis story for me

when i was in second grade i traded another kid my yoshi's story for blast corp

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Leadthumb posted:

okay making a thread

The first result for the tier thing had 3 snes' and no 360 so whatevrer, i'm mgonna go back to tryin g to figure out why i can't test my mic.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Roger that.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Leadthumb posted:

The first result for the tier thing had 3 snes' and no 360 so whatevrer, i'm mgonna go back to tryin g to figure out why i can't test my mic.

found the issue

Leadthumb posted:

im daydrunk sorrry

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

symbolic posted:

found the issue

My headphones were set to record audio(???) lol. I disabled that and we figured all was good but the echo persists :shrug:. Also I can stream no problem with OBS but the twitch login it is using is not recognized by twitch, so I can't login to twitch even though my channel is streaming with the echo. 2024 is my year! *looks at calendar* lmao

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

oddium posted:

when i was in second grade i traded another kid my yoshi's story for blast corp

gamer move

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

STALKER Anomaly GAMMA (PC) - Normal difficulty; Clear Sky start; Touched the Wish Granter, finished main end-game quests (Living Legend, Mortal Sin, Operation Afterglow)

This is probably the best survival horror shooter gaming experience I've ever had. The plot is mediocre (if we're being charitable) and there's a lot of jank (it's a massive modpack on top of a fan-made repack/remix of a 15 year old game), but the emergent gameplay and environmental storytelling just can't be beat. The excellent gunplay, complex survival mechanics, and "tough but fair" difficulty are all great, but game absolutely delivers on vibes. It's grim, lonely, terrifying, and exhilarating by turns. I've never played anything like it.

I'm finally freeeeeeeeee! I will definitely come back to this someday to play some of the other factions' plotlines. This is a strong recommend for anyone who likes this sort of thing. (Any Tarkov fans in the crowd?)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Got all the Vampire Survivors Achieves, gonna count it for now.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. Tetris Effect Connected
2. Alan Wake 2
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2
5. Crash Bandicoot

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Crash 1s cool play crash 2 its the best one

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

When I was a kid N. Cortex terrified me in Crash 2 when he would get mad at you for not getting the crystal in a level.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ArfJason posted:

Crash 1s cool play crash 2 its the best one

ya

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Organ trail (easy). Little zombie survival travel game based on oregon trail. Kinda fun for 2 bucks and change, but could be really good with a little more polish and more minigames. Probably an actual challenge on higher difficulties, didn't really feel like I was in danger of running out of stuff for most of it but that's likely the difficulty talking. So clear that the creators don't know much about cars or just switched out "car parts" for wagon tongues and poo poo from oregon trail. Tires and batteries I get but Why do I need 8 mufflers anyway.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

2) Dragons Dogma

Probably my 4th playthrough of the base game. Sorcerer this time, starting to lose its appeal against smaller enemies. For the bigger guys its still fun to pelt them with meteors or fill the entire screen with lightning

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Vadun posted:

2) Dragons Dogma

Probably my 4th playthrough of the base game. Sorcerer this time, starting to lose its appeal against smaller enemies. For the bigger guys its still fun to pelt them with meteors or fill the entire screen with lightning

hell yeah I love this game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

2 more months...

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Itsuno is a hero

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

2 more months...

:pray:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1. Dragon Quest XI - Platinum. Only draconian quest active was no xp for weaker monsters which I turned off before the final super boss so i could grind to Lvl 99.

Basically a perfect game. I played it on PC when it first came out and absolutely adored it, but dropped it after the Act 2 credits. I still think the act 3 story is weak BUT it still wound up being my favorite part of the game. I loved the free form nature of that enormous finale, where you just get your own memories of the world to guide what you do next.

Amazing squad. Amazing power curve, I think until literally the final grind of the game I was always thinking "oh nice just like 2 more levels until I unlock XX panel, which means I can move to" etc. the towns are all gorgeous and never feel like a chore to hang out in no matter how many tiems the story has you revisiting previous locations.

I jumped between a wide variety of party comps throughout the game, but by the end my absolute boss killer squad was Hero/Jade/Eight/Serena. Erik sometimes subbed for Jade if I could.keep him alive on the harder fights.

This caps off a pretty powerful series run. I started replaying the entire series with my GF a few years ago, who is a mega completionist and made us do every super boss and collect every mini medal etc. in every entry sans X (the nadir was grinding 1000+ battles on Slime Island in PSX DW7 to unlock Hero job for other party members to defeat God fast enough to unlock the spirits battle). now she's my wife and I'm ecstatic at finally seeing every square inch of XI, and the entire series, but really huge hole in my heart now that we've wrapped everything up...here's to continuing to wait for XII. DQ forever. Emotional evening.

5 > 11 > 8 > 3 > 7 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 6. But I even still like 6 it's just meh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah

Hero - great swords
Erik - Boomerangs
Veronica - heavy wands
Serena - wands
Sylvando - knives
Jade - spears
Rab - claws
Eight - axes

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

2. Mega Man X (SNES), 1/9

Seeing X2 in the IZGC made me realize that I haven't beaten the original game since playing the MSDOS version in the mid-90s, so this was a cool walk down memory lane in that I uhhh remembered close to nothing about the endgame and much of the secret stuff. Still got all the energy tanks, heart tanks, upgrades, and the hadouken. Just a great game all around, and I really need to check out the later ones.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

1. Dragon Quest XI - Platinum. Only draconian quest active was no xp for weaker monsters which I turned off before the final super boss so i could grind to Lvl 99.

Basically a perfect game. I played it on PC when it first came out and absolutely adored it, but dropped it after the Act 2 credits. I still think the act 3 story is weak BUT it still wound up being my favorite part of the game. I loved the free form nature of that enormous finale, where you just get your own memories of the world to guide what you do next.

Amazing squad. Amazing power curve, I think until literally the final grind of the game I was always thinking "oh nice just like 2 more levels until I unlock XX panel, which means I can move to" etc. the towns are all gorgeous and never feel like a chore to hang out in no matter how many tiems the story has you revisiting previous locations.

I jumped between a wide variety of party comps throughout the game, but by the end my absolute boss killer squad was Hero/Jade/Eight/Serena. Erik sometimes subbed for Jade if I could.keep him alive on the harder fights.

This caps off a pretty powerful series run. I started replaying the entire series with my GF a few years ago, who is a mega completionist and made us do every super boss and collect every mini medal etc. in every entry sans X (the nadir was grinding 1000+ battles on Slime Island in PSX DW7 to unlock Hero job for other party members to defeat God fast enough to unlock the spirits battle). now she's my wife and I'm ecstatic at finally seeing every square inch of XI, and the entire series, but really huge hole in my heart now that we've wrapped everything up...here's to continuing to wait for XII. DQ forever. Emotional evening.

5 > 11 > 8 > 3 > 7 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 6. But I even still like 6 it's just meh.
:cheers: to you completing your own adventure

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

got the regular ending in Void Stranger, but from my understanding there's still a lot more game left.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

2) Cave Story - True Ending

3) Magicus - True Ending, Hell Difficulty

A match 3 mobile puzzle RPG by the Astlibra developer with a twist where you match special orbs of each color to activate skills and the same old enemy break system from Astlibra. Probably the most poorly translated game I have ever finished and likely ever will. It seems like whoever translated it did attempt to get the story right but everything else, skill descriptions, npc dialogue and so much more were purely machine translated. But something about it kept me coming back for more. It was a lot of fun to decipher such a niche game with such a terrible translation lol. It has a very simple yet satisfying game loop similarly to Astlibra and also like Astlibra, playing on a high difficulty made it much more interesting. Every battle was a struggle until I finally got in the groove around the first ending and started using magics that synergized well and really started focusing on breaking enemies. It took me around 42 hours to get to the ending and I fully cleared the Arena. Will definitely be slowly chipping away at the post-game stuff for the Perfect ending.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

1. super mario rpg switch
2. ys 1 chronicles
3. ys 2 chronicles
4. Ys Origin - Yunica Route

Just finished Ys Origin with Yunica, this was actually a ton of fun. The combat was just so fun and responsive and there was decent challenge to it as well. The annoying sections didn't overstay their welcome. Also the soundtrack loving kicks rear end. Gonna play Hugo and then Claw playthroughs next.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I held off on playing Origin for years and I regretted it, it's one of Falcom's best Ys outings imo

Falcom ftw, now they gotta make the fuckin remake of 5, the SNES game isn't bad it's just bland and way too easy even with the Expert rerelease

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Good soup! posted:

I held off on playing Origin for years and I regretted it, it's one of Falcom's best Ys outings imo

Falcom ftw, now they gotta make the fuckin remake of 5, the SNES game isn't bad it's just bland and way too easy even with the Expert rerelease

falcom owns, its been sick going through their games for the first time. And yeah I looked into 5 and it looks interesting like you can see how they definitley improved on that. Surprising they haven't gone back to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

5 has its good parts. Gameplay wise it's like a prototype of where the series started to go with 6 and OiF that further refined the combat, and the fundamentals of the story are interesting enough even if it feels like it doesn't really go anywhere with any of it. I know a lot of people arent huge fans of the visuals or how the music is more orchestral in nature, but I actually like both and Field of Gale is 100% one of the best songs Falcom has done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjFXyC2UhMA

So much of it is middle of the road though. The dungeons are boring, most of the characters are boring, the magic system seems like a cool idea with mixing elements and such but, again, boring.