Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

05 - Long Night of Solace

Noble Team has to get creative and execute a crazy plan in order to take out the Covenant ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Well, the whole idea of what a vacuum is appears to be very nebulous in this game, nevermind Covenant atmospheric vessels being able to fly up there as well.

How the hell were you able to fire off a shotgun on the outer hull of the Corvette? What was the field at the top of the Corvette doing? It wasn't maintaining an artificial gravity field. It certainly wasn't maintaining an atmosphere either... Oh, nevermind.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Samovar posted:

Well, the whole idea of what a vacuum is appears to be very nebulous in this game, nevermind Covenant atmospheric vessels being able to fly up there as well.

How the hell were you able to fire off a shotgun on the outer hull of the Corvette? What was the field at the top of the Corvette doing? It wasn't maintaining an artificial gravity field. It certainly wasn't maintaining an atmosphere either... Oh, nevermind.

Modern gunpowder contains its own oxidizer. Even current-day firearms will work in a vacuum, let alone something designed for a spacefaring military force centuries from now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At this point in the war, how many Covenant ships had been blown up by nukes, anyway?

And, drat, I love the supercarrier explosion. The next scene is just a gut punch.

e: Season 1 of the Halo TV show has some interesting plot choices. But it's not so bad that I wouldn't recommend it to a fan of the series.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 6, 2024

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Samovar posted:

They are actually modified for vacuum operations. Or the atmospheric versions are modified for atmo. It's weird.

And gunpowder has always been capable of igniting in a vacuum, it'd have to be able to in order to function in a (relatively) sealed system. Like a gun.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
My question is this. Are we sure Jorge is dead? Remember when Kat explained what happened to the colony ship. They just subspace jumped away a portion of the carrier. The cruiser Jorge is on is still completely intact. What's not to say he commandeered it, and jumped it somewhere else.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

My question is this. Are we sure Jorge is dead? Remember when Kat explained what happened to the colony ship. They just subspace jumped away a portion of the carrier. The cruiser Jorge is on is still completely intact. What's not to say he commandeered it, and jumped it somewhere else.

Unfortunately, human slipspace drives work by ripping a hole in reality, which the ship then flies through. It wasn't that the drive only jumped part of the ship, it was that it ripped that hole inside the ship itself.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Without going into spoilers, yeah, Jorge is dead.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Samovar posted:

This game definitely does the thing where they conflate vacuum and low/no gravity, but it's very intuitive for the player that way. No idea why the interior part of the ship wasn't maintaining atmosphere/gravity other than to extend the time we got to play around in it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

At this point in the war, how many Covenant ships had been blown up by nukes, anyway?

Not sure how many, but I think the normal strategy the UNSC uses to fight Covenant ships is to use the MAC guns to overload their shields and then fire a bunch of nuclear missiles at them.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ablative posted:

Unfortunately, human slipspace drives work by ripping a hole in reality, which the ship then flies through. It wasn't that the drive only jumped part of the ship, it was that it ripped that hole inside the ship itself.

Yeah, the slipspace drive isn't a teleporter, it's a dimensional rift generator. It has to be properly installed, calibrated, and operated in order for a ship to use it to transition into slipspace. Everything in that radius did get sent somewhere else, but more likely ended up in the slipspace dimension while undergoing a lot of lethal stresses.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

e: Season 1 of the Halo TV show has some interesting plot choices. But it's not so bad that I wouldn't recommend it to a fan of the series.

I agree with this. I didn't like some of the choices, but even some of the things I disliked I think they did interesting stuff with.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

There's only one Spartan that gets to live through things that really should kill him, and his name is John Halo Master Chief.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
The Banshees that was fought in the last mission was the space pattern?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Not sure how many, but I think the normal strategy the UNSC uses to fight Covenant ships is to use the MAC guns to overload their shields and then fire a bunch of nuclear missiles at them.

For some reason I thought the UNSC had never had a victory over the Covvies. Now realise I may have been thinking of the Earth-Minbari war for some bizarre reason.

quote:

I agree with this. I didn't like some of the choices, but even some of the things I disliked I think they did interesting stuff with.

Halo TV good choices - Kai 125. Adorable murder mommy

Halo TV bad choices - Kwan Ha. Just loving why.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

For some reason I thought the UNSC had never had a victory over the Covvies.

Basically, they haven't. The story of the UNSC vs Covenant is a whole lot of doomed last stands that take a bunch of Covenant down with them and temporary local victories.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If we're talking about space battles the only one I've played recently that nails it is Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 (and 1, just not as well). The tutorial in that game alone is worth seeing, even if its steeped in Warhammer 40K lore. But beyond that you've got everything you might want out of a space navy game (whose lore actually makes the scale of combat mostly appropriate) - big ol' broadsides, fighter wings, torpedoes, ship boarding, ship ramming, artillery, stealth and evasion, subsystem targeting, crew morale, crew experience, and even the occasional heroic sacrifice depending on how things go. Since all the projectiles are actual projectiles if you've got an important ship getting shot to hell you can put another ship between it and the enemy to absorb the damage. And that's just the main faction before you start getting into the quirks of the others.

Cythereal posted:

Basically, they haven't. The story of the UNSC vs Covenant is a whole lot of doomed last stands that take a bunch of Covenant down with them and temporary local victories.

I don't know my Halo lore but it feels like what happened in this video would have been a massive victory if it wasn't for that stupid dramatic timing.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i can't believe that jorge is fuckin dead, rip to a real one

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Halo TV bad choices - Kwan Ha. Just loving why.

When I was watching the series I just skipped past any parts with Kwan and I don't think I really missed much

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leal posted:

When I was watching the series I just skipped past any parts with Kwan and I don't think I really missed much

You might have missed Burn Gorman and that's a shame

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
During my fast forward sessions I did manage to see his rear end, yes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh well that's okay then

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

RBA Starblade posted:

You might have missed Burn Gorman and that's a shame

:respek:

There are many complaints to be made about the Halo TV series. Burn Gorman is not one of them.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Thanks for coming back and doing the series. This was the last Halo game I played (everything you've played, I also played through). So I'm excited to see where the series goes after this game, or is this the last one?

As for this game specifically, I really liked it, having read a bunch of the books and knowing that Reach was doomed anyway the melancholy of this games overall tone was really well done.

As for the show, I made it a few episodes in. I kept falling asleep during the episode, which is ridiculous for a Halo show, but they somehow made the universe boring.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, there was a few victories, but mostly minor and temporary. The famed Keyes Loop which earned him a promotion and (eventually) the Pillar of Autumn killed a destroyer and two frigates and didn't actually prevent the Covenant from achieving their objective.

Probably the biggest victory was when Admiral Cole deleted several hundred ships by briefly turning a gas giant into a star. (Not the biggest destruction of Covenant forces achieved by humanity, but that was technically against humanities' allies, when a planet-cracker bomb that had been plundered from Reach was accidently detonated in orbit around an Elite colony post schism. Oops.)

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Cradok posted:

Yeah, there was a few victories, but mostly minor and temporary. The famed Keyes Loop which earned him a promotion and (eventually) the Pillar of Autumn killed a destroyer and two frigates and didn't actually prevent the Covenant from achieving their objective.

Probably the biggest victory was when Admiral Cole deleted several hundred ships by briefly turning a gas giant into a star. (Not the biggest destruction of Covenant forces achieved by humanity, but that was technically against humanities' allies, when a planet-cracker bomb that had been plundered from Reach was accidently detonated in orbit around an Elite colony post schism. Oops.)
Post schism the Covenant fractured into a bunch of different factions. That was not the same fragment as headed up by the Arbiter and Halfjaw and was not allied. Also, it happened before the alliance did.

The entire history of the war was a numerically and technologically superior faction stomping the poo poo out of humanity and occasionally suffering brief setbacks. They weren't interested in taking territory and holding it, they were glassing it and moving on. Ground battles were uncommon and only used when they couldn't get what they wanted with their warships. This was generally limited to intelligence on further worlds of humans to exterminate, forerunner artifacts, or defensive stations that were too dangerous to approach with small numbers of warships such as the defence stations above earth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Covenant supercarriers tend to not have the best time in Halo games. Just ask the one in Halo Wars 2 (spoilers for that game if anyone cares, I don't know if Frenzy and crew still mean to play the Halo Wars games or not).

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Man, I have been trying to catch up with the videos and my watch speed quickly drained with Halo Wars. Sorry, I'm just not an RTS guy. I like this LP series, thanks Frenzy. I'll still try to power through them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Conversely I quite enjoyed the Halo Wars LP, but I like RTSes

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Halo TV good choices - Kai 125. Adorable murder mommy

Kai was absolutely the bright spot in Season 1, although I had never thought of her as an "adorable murder mommy". It is fun to say though.

Cythereal posted:

Covenant supercarriers tend to not have the best time in Halo games. Just ask the one in Halo Wars 2 (spoilers for that game if anyone cares, I don't know if Frenzy and crew still mean to play the Halo Wars games or not).

I'm not clicking the link because I do intend to play that game still, and want to do it blind. But the thing about supercarriers is they're always the biggest target around.

bman in 2288 posted:

Man, I have been trying to catch up with the videos and my watch speed quickly drained with Halo Wars. Sorry, I'm just not an RTS guy. I like this LP series, thanks Frenzy. I'll still try to power through them.

The Halo Wars plotlines aren't really important to the big picture (as far as I know). It's mostly just extra lore stuff in a different format. If you're not enjoying it, just skip it. You won't hurt my feelings.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

The Halo Wars plotlines aren't really important to the big picture (as far as I know). It's mostly just extra lore stuff in a different format.

As someone who's played both Halo Wars games, they are indeed unimportant to the big picture.

Halo Wars 1 is an unconnected and fully self-contained side story to other events.

Halo Wars 2 is set between the numbered series and Halo Infinite, and ties more into Infinite, with a plot that could be relevant if another Halo game decides to acknowledge the game.

Halo Wars 2's DLC campaign, Awakening the Nightmare, is again potentially relevant if any future game decides to use it.

But my firm knowledge of the series consists of the Halo Wars games and the Master Chief Collection games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man. Jorge is just sitting there doing his whole dramatic sacrifice thing with Rodgers and Hanaford sitting there in the background without any way to jump at all. Jerk didn't even offer them his pack (not that they had contained helmets to survive space anyway).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Man. Jorge is just sitting there doing his whole dramatic sacrifice thing with Rodgers and Hanaford sitting there in the background without any way to jump at all. Jerk didn't even offer them his pack (not that they had contained helmets to survive space anyway).

More to the point, neither Rodgers nor Hanaford stepped up and said "Hey a Spartan II is far more valuable than me. I'll detonate the bomb, stop trying to be a tragic badass and jump"

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Don't deny him that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For the record on Halo Wars, there was a comic covering what happened to the Spirit of Fire between Halo Wars 1 and 2, and the ship got mentioned in one of the books as the subject of a lot of conspiracy theories over the ship's disappearance - the last anyone saw the Spirit of Fire it was leaving Arcadia for destinations unknown and was never seen again.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Woo, caught up on Reach videos! I stopped following the LP when you started ODST - because I hadn't played that in co-op with my eternal Halo co-op buddy yet - but now we did it, and I started watching your vids on that game too, but being current with Reach is so good. I love Reach. I'm lukewarm on Halo overall - I might have talked about it itt how I started playing it on OG XBox with my buddy who was super into it, so I kept dying over and over while he basically ran ahead, and I couldn't see anything and barely could control it - but Reach is really good as a game overall.

What most impressed me was this last mission, the space part specifically - I had played a bit of Planetside 2 with a group of buddies containing also the Halo friend a bit before we started Reach, and man, the flight controls in Planetside are just insanely bad and super unintuitive. I was designated flier because I had the best grasp on them, and still routinely killed all of us just by holding the liftoff button down for too long.

Also, Warthog with mouselook are a goddamn nightmare, so I wasn't in high hopes for a Halo spaceflight level. But man, the Sabers work so well. They control absolutely perfectly and the dogfighting is tons of fun.

Also insanely difficult on Legendary, but that goes without saying :v:.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I played Halo Reach for the first time last year and the spaceflight parts really blew me away, literally since I was playing on Legendary.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Grammarchist posted:

I played Halo Reach for the first time last year and the spaceflight parts really blew me away, literally since I was playing on Legendary.

I once got a checkpoint about a quarter second before I ran into one of those scaffolds. Did you know that if you die fast enough at a checkpoint enough times, the game will roll back to a yet earlier checkpoint to break the loop? I do!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ablative posted:

I once got a checkpoint about a quarter second before I ran into one of those scaffolds. Did you know that if you die fast enough at a checkpoint enough times, the game will roll back to a yet earlier checkpoint to break the loop? I do!

Groundhog Second

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

06 - Exodus

Now that a whole Covenant fleet has shown up, the UNSC focuses on evacuation efforts.

Ablative posted:

I do know this. I remember doing some sequence breaking in Halo 1 and getting stuck with a checkpoint as I bounced off a ledge into a fatal fall. Just kind of stared at it for a few minutes until it fixed itself. Great feature.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I never knew Canada had so many Killbots!

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

More to the point, neither Rodgers nor Hanaford stepped up and said "Hey a Spartan II is far more valuable than me. I'll detonate the bomb, stop trying to be a tragic badass and jump"

Who's to say they didn't and Jorge hoofed them off the corvette too. A Spartan-II could probably do them both at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I love these little moments where a Halo protagonist has no real goal or guidance and just improvises to the sound of the guns.