Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If a mainstream FPSRPG was gonna lead to a political education, New Vegas is a fine choice. Disco Elysium, etc etc, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

its a fine enough game. I am mad because I had to deal with people who flip flop between "FNV led to my political education." and "the benighted leadership third world don't know buying oil from russia is evil." There is a reason why everyone moved on to FNV modding instead of messing with fallout 3.

I have never encountered this anywhere. You’re on the wrong Discords.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

infernal machines posted:

This reads like you're being sarcastic but the statement is entirely true

This is false because aluminum trays are the real good poo poo in that game by the end.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tankbuster posted:

its a fine enough game. I am mad because I had to deal with people who flip flop between "FNV led to my political education." and "the benighted leadership third world don't know buying oil from russia is evil." There is a reason why everyone moved on to FNV modding instead of messing with fallout 3.

Are those people in this thread? Because I've been reading it pretty regularly for the last few hundred pages and can't remember seeing this.

It feels like you're tilting against people who aren't posting in here, and doing it in response to a bunch of other posters who have some pretty legitimate complaints about this incredibly bland, soulless product.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Hel posted:

I don't know how good it actually is but DNA marking for theft protection as very much a thing even now, so it's somewhat reasonable in a sci-fi setting. Even if individual bullets might be overkill the credstick probably would be marked.

To be honest I would absolutely be on board with that in this game, as long as there was some early information about it so you knew. Of course, stolen credits don't get the red tag, but stealing Spacer mines?! Criminal scum!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

isndl posted:

Having equipment tiered twice over (first by base type, then by calibrated/advanced/etc) turns most drops into trash and sucks all the fun out of looting, especially when weapon mods are no longer transferable. If Bethesda's intent was to greatly extend the treadmill then congratulations, you pulled it off, now I have even less reason to get invested in a system where investment is already punished by NG+.

I mean it's basically nonexistent after you have the weapon mods researched-- the last several NG+ iterations for me basically consisted of

1. Hit the Lodge, get my seed money, grab all the guns out of the basement
2. Go to the UC Supply place, sell the guns, Buy All on the resources tab
3. Beeline to Neon, steal everything out of the easily-stealable-from contraband crate in Neon Security, sell it to the TA guy
4. Go to the weapons guy and get an advanced breach
5. Use the resources you bought with whatever spare bits from the nearby vendors to turn it into a high power scoped uranium-tipped slugthrower

Congratulations, you have the only gun you need for this NG+ iteration from end to end

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

But why would you

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

infernal machines posted:

This reads like you're being sarcastic but the statement is entirely true

Maybe just stay out of CSPAM for a while.

NV was a good game even with its limitations, don't let weirdo grognards ruin it for you.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Narratives can get old but the core gameplay loop and map/world design was solid enough that I keep coming back for more. Individual things in starfield are much better but the lack of cool maps to fight in makes the game worse to play. The only time fighting was remotely solid was in the built up industrial POIs because you could go in multiple directions, jump on top of things, break line of sight etc.

NV was a good game and an improvement on FO3 because thats what expansions are supposed to do. It had problems with crashing but that was also common with skyrim before the 64bit upgrade. I just didn't like the map compared to Fallout 4 and didn't think MIT scientists but evil was that much of a stepdown from Football Hooligans but Evil.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

This is false because aluminum trays are the real good poo poo in that game by the end.
Aluminum, circuitry, fiber optics etc become really important. I always took the scrapper perk so I never understood the obsession with desk fans.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I have never encountered this anywhere. You’re on the wrong Discords.

That was literally in college around the time trump got elected. People went from "I like bernie because he is gonna give me relief from crushing college loans/healthcare costs" to "the sky is falling, america is fascist" to sharing breadtube videos during 2017/2018. That was the limit of fighting fascism - retweeting videos by people five years older than them. Meanwhile the government back in the home country was trying to strip ethnoreligious groups of citizenship and was building "camps" for them.

Most people on discord will just call you a moron if you say FNV wasn't perfection and all flaws were directly as a result of bethesda sabotaging the gamebryo engine. That I can live with. Putting a videogame as the genesis of your political education seems gauche to me.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It feels like you're tilting against people who aren't posting in here, and doing it in response to a bunch of other posters who have some pretty legitimate complaints about this incredibly bland, soulless product.

I brought this up because of this post. Specifically referring to my post history.

Michaellaneous posted:

Man if you wanna read some nuclear level bad takes I highly recommend this post history.

Starfield is not a good game, and constantly pointing out how "Erm, actually, FNV/BG3 is worse than everyone says" does not make it better.

I have no interest in BG3 because I don't like top down RPGs that much. I am more at ease with Crusader Kings instead.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
holy poo poo it's Projection Man

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Hound posted:

The second Ghost Recon game has an option to just shut off all of the modified stats for individual guns and it only improves the game. There's enough guns in Starfield to do the same thing, and the damage perks for different guns are such obvious sinks that no one is going to put more than a point or two into them before they figure out all the others are more useful.

The effect of stats on Breakpoint was super limited even with that on and even at launch. It affected some drone enemies, the wolf elite troops, and that’s about it. A headshot was a headshot, and you could kill the final boss with a bullet to the dome in the intro of the game (and the game would react to it and replace him in cutscenes!)

The gear score in that game 99 percent of the time just gave you chances to get more/better bonuses on gear like +5 percent noise reduction.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only video game political system worth emulating is Kenshi.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Azhais posted:

The only video game political system worth emulating is Kenshi.

A fellow Crab Nation enjoyer I see.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tankbuster posted:

I wasn't being sarcastic. Narratives can get old but the core gameplay loop and map/world design was solid enough that I keep coming back for more. Individual things in starfield are much better but the lack of cool maps to fight in makes the game worse to play. The only time fighting was remotely solid was in the built up industrial POIs because you could go in multiple directions, jump on top of things, break line of sight etc.

NV was a good game and an improvement on FO3 because thats what expansions are supposed to do. It had problems with crashing but that was also common with skyrim before the 64bit upgrade. I just didn't like the map compared to Fallout 4 and didn't think MIT scientists but evil was that much of a stepdown from Football Hooligans but Evil.

Aluminum, circuitry, fiber optics etc become really important. I always took the scrapper perk so I never understood the obsession with desk fans.

That was literally in college around the time trump got elected. People went from "I like bernie because he is gonna give me relief from crushing college loans/healthcare costs" to "the sky is falling, america is fascist" to sharing breadtube videos during 2017/2018. That was the limit of fighting fascism - retweeting videos by people five years older than them. Meanwhile the government back in the home country was trying to strip ethnoreligious groups of citizenship and was building "camps" for them.

Most people on discord will just call you a moron if you say FNV wasn't perfection and all flaws were directly as a result of bethesda sabotaging the gamebryo engine. That I can live with. Putting a videogame as the genesis of your political education seems gauche to me.

I brought this up because of this post. Specifically referring to my post history.

I have no interest in BG3 because I don't like top down RPGs that much. I am more at ease with Crusader Kings instead.

Settle down a bit, hey? Just take a little break and don't get mad in the thread. Go easy.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

It's weird.

On the one hand, I agree with you that FO4 was a pretty great game with a fun core gameplay loop (despite the terrible main quest).

On the other hand, I have no idea what this post means, and how it is relevant to a bunch of people talking about Starfield.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Philippe posted:

The gunplay was better in The Outer Worlds.

(thinking)

You know it really was.

gently caress me I'd rather replay Outer Worlds than endure a new game plus of this. And I never replayed Outer Worlds after completing it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
When I was playing Starfield I'll give it that I didn't have that feeling of an IP being flushed down the toilet like I did with Fallout 4.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Philippe posted:

The gunplay was better in The Outer Worlds.

I think the location based status effects were only when you were using the bullet time mode but having them at all was an improvement on this and it did make using the slowdown stuff more strategic than just lining up shots.

Also the ballistic and energy weapons felt different when you shot things with them, and the guns definitely felt like guns instead of a battery powered potato pellet shooter.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Building settlements in F4 was a lot of fun to me, I wish I were pcmasterrace instead of console pleb so I could have enjoyed modding out the limits and gone hog wild. As it was, I loved fencing in areas and putting in farms, defenses, shacks...hanging a million weapons on the walls. It's weird how much less there is in this game, in regards to that poo poo. Clearly you can grow plants but I haven't bothered because food is a waste of time. No cool futuristic light fencing, as far as I can tell you can't build ANY of the tent-like things you come across in civilian outposts or those outdoor carport things. I don't know why it's so sparse, oh boy a (useless) whiteboard! That'll look great in my outpost office, next to my "piece of art"! Beep boop

Starfield's outposts are not even close as far as ease of use, I don't know how or why they went backwards in the way they did. It's not so bad once you've wasted a ton of time upgrading your skills for doing it so I suppose the entire idea was "NG+ is when you can be good at things".

Met some miners who said they need a ride off planet...so please don't steal that adaptive frame we're leaving behind, sir! SIR! I digipicked their safe (red marker telling me "that's stealing!") but the gun and other crap inside the safe were NOT tagged as stolen. :shrug: good thing I couldn't take the safe out of the wall.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the series x enhanced version of oblivion is pretty fuckin sweet

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Barometer posted:

Building settlements in F4 was a lot of fun to me, I wish I were pcmasterrace instead of console pleb so I could have enjoyed modding out the limits and gone hog wild. As it was, I loved fencing in areas and putting in farms, defenses, shacks...hanging a million weapons on the walls. It's weird how much less there is in this game, in regards to that poo poo. Clearly you can grow plants but I haven't bothered because food is a waste of time. No cool futuristic light fencing, as far as I can tell you can't build ANY of the tent-like things you come across in civilian outposts or those outdoor carport things. I don't know why it's so sparse, oh boy a (useless) whiteboard! That'll look great in my outpost office, next to my "piece of art"! Beep boop

Starfield's outposts are not even close as far as ease of use, I don't know how or why they went backwards in the way they did. It's not so bad once you've wasted a ton of time upgrading your skills for doing it so I suppose the entire idea was "NG+ is when you can be good at things".

Met some miners who said they need a ride off planet...so please don't steal that adaptive frame we're leaving behind, sir! SIR! I digipicked their safe (red marker telling me "that's stealing!") but the gun and other crap inside the safe were NOT tagged as stolen. :shrug: good thing I couldn't take the safe out of the wall.

There doesn't seem to be a real point to building outposts other than number go up. If you build an outpost that generates warp fuel you can travel further, but the warp mechanic already doesn't super work (you can basically go wherever. In Fallout 4 the system was integrated both into the other mechanics and the theme of the game. You could make a workbench to upgrade your stuff, you could sell things and display all the cool poo poo you found, in Survival mode building settlements gave you more places to save your game, and "rebuilding civilisation out of the plenty of the before-times" was a huge theme.

In Starfield everything has been settled already. There are empty planets, but they're usually empty for a reason. The mechanic is fiddly and annoying. Why bother making a base when you already have a ship full of all the things you need?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Shotguns are pretty satisfying in Starfield so I didn't really notice the gunplay.

I guess except besides trying every other gun and deciding it was boring

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

All the guns are hitscan which really cranks up the boringness of them.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Octopus Magic posted:

One-Inch Punch Hornet's Nest shotguns are pretty great though!

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Philippe posted:

There doesn't seem to be a real point to building outposts other than number go up. If you build an outpost that generates warp fuel you can travel further, but the warp mechanic already doesn't super work (you can basically go wherever. In Fallout 4 the system was integrated both into the other mechanics and the theme of the game. You could make a workbench to upgrade your stuff, you could sell things and display all the cool poo poo you found, in Survival mode building settlements gave you more places to save your game, and "rebuilding civilisation out of the plenty of the before-times" was a huge theme.

In Starfield everything has been settled already. There are empty planets, but they're usually empty for a reason. The mechanic is fiddly and annoying. Why bother making a base when you already have a ship full of all the things you need?

There wasn't really a reason to build more than the minimum viable settlemet in Fallout 4 either. Actually having settlers at your settlement was kind of a detriment. Having settlers farm or collect waste was no where near as good as just having a bunch of water purifiers and selling the purified water and buying any of the resources you needed as well as other useful items like ammo and medical supplies. If you had no settlers your settlements never get attacked either. Nothing more annoying than playing on survival mode and being told your settlement on the rear end end of the other map is under attack.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

Meh, I can forgive this to be honest. I'm all about games that require you to be a nerd tracking drop etc, I keep a single player copy of Tarkov around for a reason, but this isn't that kind of game. No one wants to figure out drop in a bethesda game, if you make me do that I'm just never using sniper rifles and going all in on shotguns to clear Random Raider Outpost 245.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Meh, I can forgive this to be honest. I'm all about games that require you to be a nerd tracking drop etc, I keep a single player copy of Tarkov around for a reason, but this isn't that kind of game. No one wants to figure out drop in a bethesda game, if you make me do that I'm just never using sniper rifles and going all in on shotguns to clear Random Raider Outpost 245.

It's not the drop that there's a problem with, and most games way overdo bullet drop (eg Battlefield/Apex/whatever flavor of the week Zoomer Shooter), there's just no throwing knives, there's no plasma ball weapons (fast or slow), there's no difference in bullet speeds from handguns to high caliber weapons, there's a grenade launcher but it felt lovely. I'm not saying that you have to have a full variety pack a la Quake or Unreal Tournament, but that's part of the reason why the combat just feels so boring IMO. Just magdump after magdump into Spacers on repetitive POIs

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

BigRoman posted:

It's weird.
-snip-

On the other hand, I have no idea what this post means, and how it is relevant to a bunch of people talking about Starfield.

I kinda got the vibe that TB was building up to an interesting meltdown at some point, I'm honestly dissapointed it was so mediocre, although, considering the game we are discussing; its quite fitting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Octopus Magic posted:

It's not the drop that there's a problem with, and most games way overdo bullet drop (eg Battlefield/Apex/whatever flavor of the week Zoomer Shooter), there's just no throwing knives, there's no plasma ball weapons (fast or slow), there's no difference in bullet speeds from handguns to high caliber weapons, there's a grenade launcher but it felt lovely. I'm not saying that you have to have a full variety pack a la Quake or Unreal Tournament, but that's part of the reason why the combat just feels so boring IMO. Just magdump after magdump into Spacers on repetitive POIs

Yep- bullet drop I can take or leave but bullet speed not being a factor in a game with bullets, railguns, and lasers is inexcusable. All the projectiles feel the same when they absolutely should not.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yep- bullet drop I can take or leave but bullet speed not being a factor in a game with bullets, railguns, and lasers is inexcusable. All the projectiles feel the same when they absolutely should not.

Eh, bullet speed is also silly in a game where your engagement ranges are point blank out to slightly less point blank. I think the longest scoped rifle shot I took in my play through was, maybe, a couple hundred yards. At the ranges that this game is playing with even a relatively slow round like .45 ACP (~900 feet per second) is getting to the target in fractions of a second. All the sci-fi poo poo like lasers and rail guns are going to be so close to instantaneous that you might as well just make them hitscan in the first place.

I think the weapons are fine for what they are and serve their purpose in the game, but agree they feel anemic compared to dedicated first person shooters that put more effort into them. Doom Eternal this ain't. But the way to fix them involves more than just hitscan weapons, it involves redesigning them from the ground up to feel beefier, have more impressive and interesting effects on target, have better recoil and sound design, and just generally be more tactile and entertaining to use.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Getting rid of the gore of past games is a weird decision to me. It's an easy way to make weapons feel more impactful.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
And the thing is Fallout 4 does have a relatively wide selection of weapons and they just sort of cut that selection down. Not like anyone would of cared if they took stuff from there and renamed and modeled it as long as it was fun. And yeah Fallout did have quite a few fun unique weapons.

It's a sci-fi game, they could of gone wild. They decided not too for what ever reason.

Flowing Thot posted:

Getting rid of the gore of past games is a weird decision to me. It's an easy way to make weapons feel more impactful.

That too. Double barrel shotgunning a low level ghoul at close range and having them basically just explode is a great way to make a gun feel impactful.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 8, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

dr_rat posted:

And the thing is Fallout 4 does have a relatively wide selection of weapons and they just sort of cut that selection down. Not like anyone would of cared if they took stuff from there and renamed and modeled it as long as it was fun. And yeah Fallout did have quite a few fun unique weapons.

It's a sci-fi game, they could of gone wild. They decided not too for what ever reason.

That too. Double barrel shotgunning a low level ghoul at close range and having them basically just explode is a great way to make a gun feel impactful.

FO4 weapons also had more weapon mods show up visually on the gun, so even if it's just a customized pipe gun you can still get that cool silhouette change. Starfield doesn't show much other than barrel/suppressor swaps which is fairly disappointing.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Flowing Thot posted:

Seeing a couple of small blood decals after a firefight with a dozen mercs is a real Starfield moment.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Flowing Thot posted:

look son, sacrifices had to be made for that "M" rating

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Palladium posted:

look son, sacrifices had to be made for that "M" rating

Oh no, the ratings agencies actually really hate it when you have a bunch of human sacrifices in your game for some reason.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

isndl posted:

FO4 weapons also had more weapon mods show up visually on the gun, so even if it's just a customized pipe gun you can still get that cool silhouette change. Starfield doesn't show much other than barrel/suppressor swaps which is fairly disappointing.

Yeah some weapons actually change a hell of a lot from base when you fully modded them out, and it was a nice feeling going, oh yeah I made the gun into this. It also helped give that feeling that you were just someone going around surviving in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. While story was garbage in fallout 4 they did often create a good tone. The really good map helped.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Flowing Thot posted:

I bet it has to do with different levels of gravity. Having to track limbs and blood droplets in zero-g wrecked performance so they just removed it completely.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah, the map in Fallout 4 gave you the feeling that you were gonna find some cool poo poo around every corner, even if it's just a rusted out shack with a typewriter, a pipe pistol and some environmental skeleton storytelling.

The world in Starfield, by contrast, feels like something you fast travel through.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Philippe posted:

Yeah, the map in Fallout 4 gave you the feeling that you were gonna find some cool poo poo around every corner, even if it's just a rusted out shack with a typewriter, a pipe pistol and some environmental skeleton storytelling.

The world in Starfield, by contrast, feels like something you fast travel through.

It comes down to Bethesda thinking the fun of exploring is the size of the world and not the stuff you find. Look at their tone deaf “the astronauts weren’t bored on the moon!” review responses- they think that if it’s a patch of terrain you haven’t seen before it’s interesting and new by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Philippe posted:

yeah, and it's not even like the feeling was unwarranted, there was just a lot of cool and interesting stuff scattered all around, so when you did go exploring any new random part of the map there was a very good chance you would just stumble across something interesting. The really neat touch was having the glowing sea extend "off the map" so it feels like you're going some where unexplored or forbidden or what not.

While fallout 4's far from my favorite fallout game, I think it does have my favorite map just for exploring. And yeah I know I'm just about done doing a play through of 4 when I start fast traveling. The fun of that game is exploring stuff. Quest were just there to give a bit more of a reason too.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 8, 2024