Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

To the goon dev of Stuffo The Puzzle Bot (your nick escapes me); In case you weren't aware, your game was chosen as one of the best of the year by Yle. Congrats! :toot:

Thanks! I did notice it when I saw a small bump in my Youtube plays. It was fun to discover the source since that’s a site I read daily.

If anyone is on the fence the game is on sale now for 40% off :ssh: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1068460/Stuffo_the_Puzzle_Bot/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Absolutely loved Roottrees. I ended up having to skim the discord for a few hints, but overall really enjoyed it.

Also I have had Rollin' On Down to the City stuck in my head for hours. It's so catchy. Clark was right.

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 24, 2023

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

Absolutely loved Roottrees. I ended up having to skip the discord for a few hints, but overall really enjoyed it.

Also I have had Rollin' On Down to the City stuck in my head for hours. It's so catchy. Clark was right.

Thanks for playing! And as much as his personal life is a MESS, I agree with Clark when it comes to music, honestly. Hooks and catchy tunes forever.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
My biggest issue was uiux. I found a lot of the text really small and hard to read. I'd often copy and paste into the notebook just to get a bigger font. But the text there would shrink as you added more. Would have loved to have more blank pages, not just for ease reading, but to better organize my thoughts. Id copy and paste in a lot of search results so I could refer back. But then I'd think I was done with some info, delete it to make space, and then have to find my way back to that search term.

Overall the notebook was a godsend, cause lord knows I wasn't going to take notes with pen and paper.

edit: I really dig Rollin' On Down to the City, is there a way I can buy a copy so I dont have to pull up the site whenever I want to listen.

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 25, 2023

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]
Merry Christmas puzzle game thread!

I made an HTML5 playable demo of my casual Poker-based puzzler Solquence and posted it on itch.io. No download necessary, plays in browser, and works great on phones. Please enjoy :D

https://contentatogames.itch.io/solquence-demo

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Contentato posted:

I made an HTML5 playable demo of my casual Poker-based puzzler Solquence and posted it on itch.io. No download necessary, plays in browser, and works great on phones. Please enjoy :D

Out of interest, as I like the idea of building my own puzzle games, what did you build this in framework/language wise? and was it easy to convert to HTML5? I’m looking for a reasonably easy to use toolkit for building 2D games (puzzle grid type rather than side scrolling) and any recommendations or suggestions greatly welcomed!

(For extra context - I’m a pretty experienced SWE, but this is not my area of expertise!)

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

MisterBear posted:

Out of interest, as I like the idea of building my own puzzle games, what did you build this in framework/language wise? and was it easy to convert to HTML5? I’m looking for a reasonably easy to use toolkit for building 2D games (puzzle grid type rather than side scrolling) and any recommendations or suggestions greatly welcomed!

(For extra context - I’m a pretty experienced SWE, but this is not my area of expertise!)

I used Android Studio, and the framework is libGDX, which is still alive and gets updates. If you generate a base project with HTML checked as one of your potential outputs, a lot of the work is done for you, but I couldn't call it easy. Lots of digging, stackoverflow threads, and help from the libGDX discord got me to this point. I'm comfortable in Java and manually coding a lot of stuff that newer engines do for you. If I had to do it again from scratch I'd probably start with Godot though because of how much simpler a lot of the build would have been, but I went with what I knew when I kicked this one off.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Contentato posted:

I used Android Studio, and the framework is libGDX, which is still alive and gets updates. If you generate a base project with HTML checked as one of your potential outputs, a lot of the work is done for you, but I couldn't call it easy. Lots of digging, stackoverflow threads, and help from the libGDX discord got me to this point. I'm comfortable in Java and manually coding a lot of stuff that newer engines do for you. If I had to do it again from scratch I'd probably start with Godot though because of how much simpler a lot of the build would have been, but I went with what I knew when I kicked this one off.

Thanks! Feel like it’s Godot or Game Engine then, especially with all the recent entertainment around Unity.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MisterBear posted:

I’m looking for a reasonably easy to use toolkit for building 2D games (puzzle grid type rather than side scrolling) and any recommendations or suggestions greatly welcomed!

Depending on exactly what you want to make Puzzlescript can make a wide variety of 2D grid-based puzzle games very quickly. Some types of logic are more awkward to implement in it than others, though.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

Depending on exactly what you want to make Puzzlescript can make a wide variety of 2D grid-based puzzle games very quickly. Some types of logic are more awkward to implement in it than others, though.

Oh that looks interesting! Thank you :)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Contentato posted:

This is DANGEROUS

I think this was more addicting than 1024, I actually had to close the browser window and walk away

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

MisterBear posted:

Thanks! Feel like it’s Godot or Game Engine then, especially with all the recent entertainment around Unity.

I've had a ton of fun learning Godot, but yeah, if you ever want libGDX/Android Studio pointers, hey, I've got your back

bawk posted:

This is DANGEROUS

I think this was more addicting than 1024, I actually had to close the browser window and walk away

That's high praise. Thank you!

The full version's even better. There's skins, an undo button, and it saves your progress so you can play it on and off for hours and hours. And hours.

(I've had way too many people tell me they had to uninstall the thing to be able to get back to work)

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Contentato posted:

I've had a ton of fun learning Godot, but yeah, if you ever want libGDX/Android Studio pointers, hey, I've got your back

Thank you, much appreciated!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

My biggest issue was uiux. I found a lot of the text really small and hard to read. I'd often copy and paste into the notebook just to get a bigger font. But the text there would shrink as you added more. Would have loved to have more blank pages, not just for ease reading, but to better organize my thoughts. Id copy and paste in a lot of search results so I could refer back. But then I'd think I was done with some info, delete it to make space, and then have to find my way back to that search term.

Overall the notebook was a godsend, cause lord knows I wasn't going to take notes with pen and paper.

edit: I really dig Rollin' On Down to the City, is there a way I can buy a copy so I dont have to pull up the site whenever I want to listen.

Not at the moment in any official capacity, but someone uploaded it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g93aNtVg6MM

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Contentato posted:

This is really fun! My only question Is like, is there a way to disable sound? I play these sorts of games on my phone and don't want to have to muck with my phone volume when I'm in public.

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is really fun! My only question Is like, is there a way to disable sound? I play these sorts of games on my phone and don't want to have to muck with my phone volume when I'm in public.

Thanks! There's a sound control on the full version on the title screen (see image). I hid it for the demo since I had also removed the back navigation, because savestates weren't compatible with the Javascript translation - but in the full version its alongside the skin picker.

As an aside, just as I got this reply I was compiling a list of websites and people to email begging for a review and recognition. It would have presskit links and all that and say 'if you like the demo and want an install key to check it out more and share your thoughts, I'd be happy to send' - so yeah, since I've been here since PPPowerbook, please feel free to hit me up in a DM. Thanks!

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Not entirely the right forum, but my question seems at least adjacent so I shall beg your collective forgiveness -

Search is failing me, but is there a thread anywhere for solo board games?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

MisterBear posted:

Not entirely the right forum, but my question seems at least adjacent so I shall beg your collective forgiveness -

I've only seen one for solo RPGs specifically: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959142

For solo board games, I'm sure the folks at the general board game thread will hook you up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989138

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
We just beat The Roottrees Are Dead this evening and loved it! I sent a small donation through itch. I hope they don't take an outsized cut.

I wish for two things:
1. A few more clues to help piece the last bits together; it was almost entirely process of elimination to associate certain wives and the correct photos for a few blood relative ladies.
2. A recap of how many searches it took and a canonical list of all the clues/websites.

I'd have loved to see even more conspiracy, particularly around the environmental policy angle, which seemed like a loose thread.

Also, we found the thing.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

malnourish posted:

I wish for two things:
1. A few more clues to help piece the last bits together; it was almost entirely process of elimination to associate certain wives and the correct photos for a few blood relative ladies.

I'm curious about this one specifically. I can definitely see Gwyndoline Madsen feeling like process of elimination but I'm wondering if you have any other specific examples.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, he really really liked it!

Getting number 5 on that stacked list is a mayor achievement. I'm looking forward to future works of your Superrodan.

This post has my attention. I just finished Case of the Golden Idol and its DLCs during the sale, and Obra Dinn is possibly my favorite video game of all time.

One question about the browser game: I'm :corsair: so I come from the age of flash games like Kongregate and Armor Games and poo poo where there was no way to save game. Can you save your progress, or do I have to play Roottrees in one go? If so, how long is it? Based on the times people say they were playing Idol and Obra Dinn in this thread, I'd say I'm 33% stupider than most of you, so bear that in mind.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

This post has my attention. I just finished Case of the Golden Idol and its DLCs during the sale, and Obra Dinn is possibly my favorite video game of all time.

One question about the browser game: I'm :corsair: so I come from the age of flash games like Kongregate and Armor Games and poo poo where there was no way to save game. Can you save your progress, or do I have to play Roottrees in one go? If so, how long is it? Based on the times people say they were playing Idol and Obra Dinn in this thread, I'd say I'm 33% stupider than most of you, so bear that in mind.

You can save, it does it with cookie magic I imagine. For another browser-game noobie, ut was painless.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

I recommend if you want to be double sure, you can check if it saves for you before you start playing. The easiest way to do so is click the link to the game, here: https://jjohnstongames.itch.io/the-roottrees-are-dead

First, watch the opening cutscene (takes about 30 seconds), and then once the newspaper "title screen" comes up, in the upper left open the menu with the settings gear. Then, click "save and quit".

It will say "It's now safe to close The Roottrees are dead".

If you refresh the tab the game is on, or close and reopen your browser and go back to the game, during the opening cutscene, you should now see a "skip" button in the lower right that lets you skip the cutscene. If it's there, it means the game is reading your save file and realizes you've seen the cutscene before. That's a good indicator that it saved.

If for some reason that doesn't work, I can get you an .exe version of the game.

As a side note, the game autosaves, you don't have to "save and quit". I just added it to the webgl version to be sure people would have the confidence that their progress saves.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 1, 2024

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Got Opus Magnum during the gift train, going in blind and figuring out solutions which seem decent enough so far.

Managing decent scores going by the distribution graphs it shows, sure I'll start having to work with careful timings and multi-arms some time soon. Seems like a game I might be able to stumble through even if it's unlikely I'll make anything truly optimal.

e: Closing chapter 2, the jank is increasing

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 5, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Can of Wormholes is pretty good. Void Stranger is just OK, I’m not as wowed as others have been. The story beats are interesting but even as a sokoban fan I’m not thrilled by the moment to moment

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Superrodan, just echoing that I found Roottrees in the GOTY thread and it was incredible and I can't wait to see what you put out next.

For everyone else, are there any other games in the vein of Roottree / Golden Idol / Obra Dinn you'd recommend? Really looking for something in the deductive reasoning category but honestly any quasi-story driven puzzle game works. I only discovered this thread now when trying to find some recommendations and well . . . of the 17 headings in the Narrative section on the OP I've already done 13 of them :sweatdrop:. Skimmed through the last couple of pages (where I found Taiji as an immediately buy) but still need to go through the rest of it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cael posted:

For everyone else, are there any other games in the vein of Roottree / Golden Idol / Obra Dinn you'd recommend? Really looking for something in the deductive reasoning category but honestly any quasi-story driven puzzle game works.

they're very different sorts of game but take a look at Hypnospace Outlaw, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, and Unheard: Voices of Crime

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cael posted:

any quasi-story driven puzzle game

Check out Pale Echoes and Soul's Spectrum. They're both pure puzzle games despite what the tags say.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cael posted:

Superrodan, just echoing that I found Roottrees in the GOTY thread and it was incredible and I can't wait to see what you put out next.

For everyone else, are there any other games in the vein of Roottree / Golden Idol / Obra Dinn you'd recommend? Really looking for something in the deductive reasoning category but honestly any quasi-story driven puzzle game works. I only discovered this thread now when trying to find some recommendations and well . . . of the 17 headings in the Narrative section on the OP I've already done 13 of them :sweatdrop:. Skimmed through the last couple of pages (where I found Taiji as an immediately buy) but still need to go through the rest of it.

Tim Sheinman's games. Try Family first, you can play it for free:

https://tim-sheinman.itch.io/family

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cael posted:

Make it Good is a fiendishly difficult text adventure that requires you to manipulate a finely tuned piece of human clockwork in order to solve a crime as a detective.

Obra Dinn style games is still a burgeoning category so there's still not a lot that directly hits that feeling. A lot of deductive reasoning games are going to be lower work Sherlock Holmes or Ace Attorney style games.

You might want to try Sam Barlow's games but they're slightly different and to a degree an acquired taste.

But here's a few that might scratch a narrative reasoning itch

The Forgotten City, The Painscreek Killings ( and Scene Investigators), A Hand With Many Fingers, Strange Horticulture, Whispers in the West

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 5, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Outer Wilds, kinda

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife and I just started Roottrees and are loving it, having played through Obra-Dinn and Golden Idol together.

Superrodan, you could absolutely charge money for this. I get why you're not (it's mainly the AI-generated art, right?), but I hope you can get to a place with this or a future game where you can do so.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

ymgve posted:

Outer Wilds, kinda

No

Also Outer Wilds requires far more gaming skills. I could not fly that ship to save my life

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MisterBear posted:

The board game thread here is a good resource.

If you're looking for a good puzzle-y solo board game challenge, I've been having a ton of fun with Ark Nova's solo mode. You can obviously play with a physical copy, but the BoardGameArena version is spectacular and supports solo games. I much prefer it to dragging out my own copy. I enjoy it for solo play because there's a pass/fail condition, rather than just playing to a high score.

BGA is subscription-based but it's ridiculously cheap -- $36 a year for hundreds of well-implemented board games, including a lot of newer and well-known games (Ark Nova, Azul, Pandemic, Tapestry, The Crew, Terra Mystica, etc.).

There are also some other puzzle-y games on there as well. Turing Machine is a straight-up logic puzzle, and Sky Team is a great two-player co-op efficiency puzzle.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

BlueBayou posted:

No

Also Outer Wilds requires far more gaming skills. I could not fly that ship to save my life

You can just ram it into planets. Who cares if it doesn't survive for a second trip?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The Outer Wilds ship is a puzzle where the solution is "remember high school physics".

Basics of flight mechanics:

1. You need to spend as much time slowing down as you did speeding up because there's no friction in space and inertia is a property of matter. A good rule of thumb is that if your relative velocity is greater than 1/10th of your remaining distance (e.g. if you're 10km away and going more than 1km/sec), start slowing down.

2. If you lock on to a thing, the HUD will tell you what adjustments you need to make to align your trajectory. If there's an arrow pointing left, accelerate right until it goes away. If there's an arrow pointing up, accelerate downward until it goes away. Your trajectory is now aligned and you can just focus on accelerating and decelerating in a straight line towards your target. The ship's autopilot will be more than happy to demonstrate this process for you but doesn't care if there's anything else in the way like, say, the Sun. Slate sends their condolences.

3. The match velocity button is your friend; apply it liberally. If you're having trouble with a zero-G maneuver, match velocity, point at your target, thrust briefly, then coast. If you're not locked on to anything, match velocity will assume you meant to match with whatever is close by because it's cool like that.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Finished The Roottrees are Dead with my wife last night. I loved the game; it's about perfect other than one thing we missed right at the end. It caused about an hour of being stuck before giving up and seeking out a hint.

Lauren's revised diary has a LOT of useful information for finishing things up, including being the only resource for definitively figuring out the final two names -- though I'd assumed one's full name and the other's first name already. Because it's so important, I wish there had been another clue or two to finding it, as the Intuition system doesn't really help to figure out what you're missing in the related document. I thought intuition was still high because of some secondary portraits I hadn't filled in yet.

But yeah. If you like Obra-Dinn and Golden Idol, this is a must-buy. Except it's free. So play it and maybe pitch a donation so Superrodan can make more cool games.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

BGA is subscription-based but it's ridiculously cheap -- $36 a year for hundreds of well-implemented board games, including a lot of newer and well-known games (Ark Nova, Azul, Pandemic, Tapestry, The Crew, Terra Mystica, etc.).

Preach it. I’ve been paying for a subscription for seven years now, even though I’ve barely played a game on it for a couple of years now… in my defence it’s partly because I’m terrible at remembering to play and not all games are very mobile friendly for entering moves while at work!

The value for money is supremely good.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Can I get a couple explanations for things in The Roottrees are Dead? I finished the game already but I'm curious about how I missed these:

(1) I have no idea how to find info about the wives of Miracle Sr, Edward, Eli C, which are the last non-Roottree names I have left. I guessed that April is the mother of November, ugh, but idk whether that's ever hinted beyond that leap of logic. I got the other two swapped.

(2) I also missed extra pics for Bonnie and Guy Hudson, no earthly idea where they might be found.

(3) Are "The Sweet History of Candy" volumes 1 and 2 and "Elias' Scandalous Will" documents you can find in the game or do they exist only in the ending sequence?

My main complaint is about differentiating people in group photos. I've done a LOT of that by guessing until I get a lock-in. There's been a few subtle hints that I've missed until after I did that, but there are still a few pairs that I have no idea how you're supposed to figure out which is which, e.g. the two pairs on the cover of "These Times". Also I got stuck for like an hour at the end because I had mistyped "Diamond's Dazzlers" as "Diamond Dazzlers" in my notes.

Lastly, who the hell names their twins "X Y" and "Y X"!? Madness. I got it right but what the gently caress.

Anyways, pretty cool game; I enjoyed it even if I found some parts of it frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'll try to answer that from memory.

quote:

(1) I have no idea how to find info about the wives of Miracle Sr, Edward, Eli C, which are the last non-Roottree names I have left.
I vaguely remember there was some story about how a girl broke into the church and tried to steal their funds, but was forgiven for this act and in turn fell in love with the Miracle of that age. I forgot how you get that and honestly that sounds really skeevy.

quote:

(2) I also missed extra pics for Bonnie and Guy Hudson, no earthly idea where they might be found.
They were in a Children's ad campaign.

quote:

(3) Are "The Sweet History of Candy" volumes 1 and 2 and "Elias' Scandalous Will" documents you can find in the game or do they exist only in the ending sequence?
I am pretty sure yes. At the very least the first one of those, because I definitely found that.

quote:

e.g. the two pairs on the cover of "These Times".
I think that's just them looking vaguely similar to their alternative pictures.

quote:

Lastly, who the hell names their twins "X Y" and "Y X"!? Madness. I got it right but what the gently caress.
I think the game established quite well, that the father was a huge piece of work.