Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Subjunctive posted:

(interesting that Cline didn’t have to do any licensing for the book, afaik, but IP law is fuckery)

general fair use i assume, its ok to summarize a a scene from a movie in a school essay, and a book can apparently be 500 school essays intwined

probably the movie had a bunch of deals to get over (unless they just used generic standins, in which case i probably should have watched it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm always reminded of the article where one developer was like 'I saw my kid playing Animal Crossing and it blew my mind!' and apparently did no further actual observation or research as to what it is or how it works

Carthag Tuek posted:

general fair use i assume, its ok to summarize a a scene from a movie in a school essay, and a book can apparently be 500 school essays intwined

probably the movie had a bunch of deals to get over (unless they just used generic standins, in which case i probably should have watched it)

IIRC it's all just stuff that WB owns, which is a lot (see also The Lego Batman Movie, Space Jam 2) and some deals like Gundam, also Battleborn or something for some reason that's lol

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

they needed the chinese gamer to have a brand obsession and since the creator knows jack poo poo about china he's a lil kungfu kid that loves mortal kombat

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Carthag Tuek posted:

like how Foodfight! had a bunch of deals to use actual brand icons but also inexplicably decided that everyone was really slavering for Dex Dogtective and some kind of racist squirrel pilot played by Wayne Brady(?!)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bro Dad posted:

they needed the chinese gamer to have a brand obsession and since the creator knows jack poo poo about china he's a lil kungfu kid that loves mortal kombat

shoulda gone with king of fighters thats historically big in china iirc

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Any bitcoin farming supercar on the market yet?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:thisagain:
Police investigate virtual sex assault on girl's avatar

www.bbc.com posted:

Police are investigating a virtual sexual assault of a girl's avatar, the chair of the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners has said.

Donna Jones said she had learned that a complaint was made in 2023, triggering a police inquiry.

The virtual incident did not result in physical harm but caused "psychological trauma", the Daily Mail has reported a source as saying.

Police chiefs have called on platforms to do more to protect their users.

Ian Critchley of the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) wrote that the metaverse - a collective name given to a range of virtual 3D spaces and technologies - had created a "gateway for predators to commit horrific crimes against children, crimes we know have lifelong impacts both emotionally and mentally".

"We must see much more action from tech companies to do more to make their platforms safe places", he added.

The NPCC was unable to tell the BBC which force had launched the investigation into the attack.

The incident occurred in a virtual reality (VR) game, the Daily Mail reported.

The impact of the attack on the girl's avatar was said to be heightened because of the immersive nature of the VR experience.

According to an unnamed senior officer familiar with the matter who spoke to the paper the victim, under 16 at the time, suffered psychological trauma "similar to that of someone who has been physically raped".

But in criminal law, rape and sexual assault require there to have been physical contact.

Some argue that legal changes may be necessary to ensure that those responsible for sexually motivated attacks on avatars in virtual worlds can be prosecuted and punished effectively.

But others suggest there may be existing laws, for example against the creation of synthetic child abuse images, which could be used as the basis of prosecutions in virtual world cases.

Ms Jones told BBC Radio 4's World at One programme on Tuesday: "The police are having to work quickly. They're having to work in conjunction with the government, particularly with the Ministry of Justice, to highlight where there need to be changes in legislation."

It is not the first time that concerns about sexually motivated attacks in the metaverse have been raised.

In 2022, researcher Nina Jane Patel revealed she was abused in a virtual world operated by Meta called Horizon Venues (now part of Horizon Worlds), likening it to sexual assault.

Recalling the experience, Ms Patel told the same programme that she was "surrounded by three to four male-sounding and male-representing avatars, who started sexually harassing me in a verbal sense and then sexually assaulting my avatar".

She said they had used misogynistic language and "continued to touch my avatar in a way that can only be described as a sexual assault of my avatar".

Ms Patel added she was worried that, in the future, technology might allow someone to physically feel such virtual assaults.

The National Crime Agency has previously warned that police will need to be ready to deal with virtual sexual assaults in the future.

The BBC has not yet confirmed on which platform the attack on the young girl's avatar took place but Meta has said in a statement: "The kind of behaviour described has no place on our platform, which is why for all users we have an automatic protection called personal boundary, which keeps people you don't know a few feet away from you.

"Though we weren't given any details about what happened ahead of this story publishing, we will look into it as details become available to us."

Meta also employs a number of technologies specifically designed to limit teenage users' exposure to offensive content and interactions with people they do not know.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
im tempted to embed that Tyler The Creator tweet - even the worst cyber-rape will never be as traumatic as physical assaults, especially since the «log off» option isn’t available IRL

on the other hand, I’m all for punishing people who do that kind of poo poo online. throw the book at them.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I grew up at a time where teabagging someone after killing them was just a thing people regularly did (online, not that that should need clarification) so it's really hard for me to feel strongly about it, but I suppose context changes things. Creeps should be banned from all online spaces anyway with no tolerance

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Kit Walker posted:

I grew up at a time where teabagging someone after killing them was just a thing people regularly did (online, not that that should need clarification) so it's really hard for me to feel strongly about it, but I suppose context changes things. Creeps should be banned from all online spaces anyway with no tolerance

:pwn:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
What's weird is that cops almost never actually investigate IRL sex crimes, which makes me wonder why they're doing it for videogame sexual harassment.

Which is obviously still bad, but uh, the log off button was there the entire time.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
is there no "mute" or "block" equivalent in these metaverse (lol) experiences?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Also the phrase "surrounded by three to four male-sounding and male-representing avatars" squicks me out for some reason and I'm unsure why

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

In my defense I hadn't actually read the article when I posted and the events described in it sound super gross and yeah probably worth an actual criminal investigation

tokin opposition posted:

Also the phrase "surrounded by three to four male-sounding and male-representing avatars" squicks me out for some reason and I'm unsure why

Just hanging out with my bros, sexually harassing teenagers online in a novel way that demonstrates we're more pathetic than you could possibly even imagine

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Jan 8, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

What's weird is that cops almost never actually investigate IRL sex crimes, which makes me wonder why they're doing it for videogame sexual harassment.

Which is obviously still bad, but uh, the log off button was there the entire time.

Investigating real crimes is hard, investigating imaginary computer crimes is easy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Why, WHY did I buy the full body haptic suit that lets me feel being assaulted?! I could take it off, but then my purchase would be wasted. I'll just have to endure it. This VR Uno Lounge is a lot rougher than I thought it would be.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
i cant imagine which scenario is more absurd, if this was in the facebook metaverse where nobody has legs, or in vrchat with all the attackers being john halo and/or furries

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Biplane posted:

Investigating real crimes is hard, investigating imaginary computer crimes is easy.

computers make it really easy to leave incriminating evidence out in the open where even the dumbest laziest detective can't convincingly look and not find it, yeah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not a totally novel thing where the authorities just have to throw up their hands and say “no laws were written for this situation”.

People can and have been convicted of crimes for creepy phone calls and creepy letters and creepy lipstick writing on the windows. The situation being “via the Internet” may open the perps up to additional charges for super broad “abuse of computer system” type laws.

There’s intentional infliction of emotional distress, which is a rare charge, but that’s the kind of thing that throwing the book at them would invoke. I know that we’re talking about England’s kangaroo court system here, but a jury would be more likely to go for IIED than something like “this screen recording of legless avatars clipping through each other is CSAM”.

tokin opposition posted:

It’s because “inclusive language” is being used to imply that the perps may have been trans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

like how Foodfight! had a bunch of deals to use actual brand icons but also inexplicably decided that everyone was really slavering for Dex Dogtective and some kind of racist squirrel pilot played by Wayne Brady(?!)

IIRC they also took so long to release the movie that they had to cut or genericise a lot of characters since the licensing deals had expired, on top of all the other problems with it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Platystemon posted:

It’s because “inclusive language” is being used to imply that the perps may have been trans.

nah, it's because they're digital avatars and the kid only had the voices to go by

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

starkebn posted:

nah, it's because they're digital avatars and the kid only had the voices to go by

A. That segment is about a reporter who is a full grown woman iirc

B. That's not really better

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

silentsnack posted:

computers make it really easy to leave incriminating evidence out in the open where even the dumbest laziest detective can't convincingly look and not find it, yeah

detectives work a relatively small number of cases that varies a bit by location. they might only have 5-25 cases open at a given time.

the short explanation is that basically most things get a basic report and then really nothing at all especially in larger cities. there’s literally no one working most of their files unless they’re serious things.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

detectives work a relatively small number of cases that varies a bit by location. they might only have 5-25 cases open at a given time.

the short explanation is that basically most things get a basic report and then really nothing at all especially in larger cities. there’s literally no one working most of their files unless they’re serious things.

Seems bad.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Biplane posted:

Seems bad.

it is.

investigative work is hard, and not many people are good at it.

it’s also obviously also not the primary thing departments do, which this forum knows.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Meanwhile, in New York…

The NYPD Spent $150 Million to Catch Farebeaters Who Cost the MTA $104,000

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
the cruelty and drawing of resources away from the public is the point

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Platystemon posted:

It’s not a totally novel thing where the authorities just have to throw up their hands and say “no laws were written for this situation”.

I remember hearing about one case -something about some creep filming up women dressers- where the judge in a statement basically said "yeah what you did should 100% be illegal, but unfortunately with how the prosecutors tried to charge you non of our existing laws currently fit. Lawmakers should probably consider this case carefully." or something along those lines. As it was a case that got headlines, I believe yeah some laws were add shortly after that to cover it fortunately.

It's good that the justice system can't just make up laws on the spot for obvious reasons, but it can really suck sometimes when new stuff comes up that the laws just really aren't written to deal with.

It doesn't help when the people passing the laws are old as gently caress, have no idea about new things, and just listen to their chosen lobbyists, who often may not exactly have the best interest of all at heart obviously.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

the problem with the law system are as follows:

1. cops
2. prosecutors
3. judges
4. non-public defenders
5. lawmakers
6. public defenders who don't care anymore (ie has been a public defender for over a week)
7. everyone else
8. you, the girl reading this

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

tokin opposition posted:

1. cops
2. prosecutors
3. judges
4. non-public defenders
5. lawmakers
6. public defenders who don't care anymore (ie has been a public defender for over a week)
7. everyone else

Missing the :doink:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“A Rape in Cyberspace” was 30 years old last year.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

1. cops
2. prosecutors
3. judges
4. non-public defenders
5. lawmakers
7. everyone else

But I'm not a gi- oh...

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Biplane posted:

But I'm not a gi- oh...

Stenciling another ⚧️ on my posting station

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

tokin opposition posted:

1. cops
2. prosecutors
3. judges
4. non-public defenders
5. lawmakers
7. everyone else

The media should be number 4

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

tokin opposition posted:

They do too many of the sex crimes to investigate them.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

tokin opposition posted:

You lose a probable 75% of the force if they ever test those rape kits.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

DeAngelo later took post-graduate courses[33] and further police training at the College of the Sequoias in Visalia, then completed a 32-week police internship at the police department in Roseville.[37]

From May 1973 to August 1976, DeAngelo was a burglary unit police officer in Exeter, having relocated from Citrus Heights.[31] He then served in Auburn from August 1976 to July 1979, when he was arrested for shoplifting a hammer and dog repellent; he was sentenced to six months of probation and fired that October.[38][39] During the process of being fired, DeAngelo threatened to kill the chief of police and allegedly stalked the chief's house.[38]

Probably just one bad apple.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC they also took so long to release the movie that they had to cut or genericise a lot of characters since the licensing deals had expired, on top of all the other problems with it.
yeah I think this is also true, they just kind of randomly mention Mr. Clean and Chef Boyardee and I don't even know if they ever show up since I bet they lost the rights to that

but the scene with Christopher Lloyd as a decrepit nazi robot secretly piloted by a jilted prune mascot ranting about survival of the fittest as he slaps some chips around is incredible, so it's impossible to tell if it's bad or not

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yeah I think this is also true, they just kind of randomly mention Mr. Clean and Chef Boyardee and I don't even know if they ever show up since I bet they lost the rights to that

but the scene with Christopher Lloyd as a decrepit nazi robot secretly piloted by a jilted prune mascot ranting about survival of the fittest as he slaps some chips around is incredible, so it's impossible to tell if it's bad or not

It's wild how byzantine copyright is. We'll license this poo poo to you but only for a couple years on a movie that will exist forever after completion, if you don't make the movie fast enough you can't use our characters anymore, so therefore we won't have product placement in your product placement vehicle anymore. Like what purpose would an expiry like that even serve?

RP1 is probably going to be pirate only after a decade because a contract expired, like how there's a fair bit of shows from the late 90s just DVD box sets were a thing and the music licensing wasn't geared towards that so they're just gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
So what's the timeline on police using AI to manufacture evidence.