Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i want to love the dark age helm but it looks so god drat stupid with that little dongle on top of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I think it’s supposed to be drop-down optics like in Halo, but seeing there’s no visible eye marks on the mask I’d have to imagine the inside of the helmet is a HUD so why would you need physical additional optics?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it's a mount of some kind to be sure. maybe for a flashlight. but all it mounts is my anger

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I beat Oryx by forgetting about the brand and blowing myself up with the bomb twice

I didn't get Touch of Malice. I didn't deserve it

I don't recall, was that the reward for D1 King's Fall originally?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't recall, was that the reward for D1 King's Fall originally?

It was a quest chain that involved collecting all the calcified fragments on the Dreadnaught and using the instructions therein to make it out of Oryx's heart, which you got from beating him in the raid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought it was something like that but couldn't recall if there was a raid stop or not lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it was a guaranteed drop from the quest, which required one oryx kill as the final step. Making it a random drop in D2 is actually a step backward

You had to collect most of the calcified fragments, if you got every last one you got a shader

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, those Taken King exotic quests made you do a lot of poo poo.

45 Calcified Fragments for Touch of Malice, the rare planet materials for the swords. Whoof.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

(man is it hard to make that thing look decent)

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Oh poo poo are we showing off our space Barbies?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Who was it that discovered you could give titans assless chaps using the anniversary legs and Seven Sisters shader?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

current titan decor: Cocaine Bear

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A meeting of the finest minds in Vanguard leadership, as iconic a photo as any ever taken at Yalta

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

I'm pretty happy about the snow pants, to be honest.

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 7, 2024

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Alright looking for some tips here. Just absolutely out of ideas. Have tried lfg, every load out at my disposal and cheesing the boss and solo. Have the checkpoint but I can not for the life of me (skill issue, I know) and cannot make it 15 seconds into the last phase of calus in legendary LF campaign.

Its not fun. Its unbelievable in its intentional agitation. Obviously you’re supposed to strand grapple around so the boss or tormentors dont one shot you but also failing that in a perfect motion you fall off the map and take it from the top. This is so impressively shittily designed I can’t believe this is till in live code.

What they hell am I supposed to do? Im just trying to gey my 8 man and this dumb rear end poo poo is the only thing in my way. Tried for hours yesterday to try and learn the fight in the weekly lfg mission(same one) and zero pugs could complete it. This is obviously way over tunes if you can complete raids and not a legendary campaign mission.

Whats the god damned play here

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Wishing Destiny had some more worthwhile end game content to engage with but I guess we're really just getting into the slow part of this extended window before the content booster shots hit.

Really been enjoying the lowman scene quite a bit, it really forces you to be a more responsible, thoughtful better player, but we're so far off TFS its hard to get the energy to dedicate to the space. Recently though, been doing some Duo nez attempts with Kilranin/Squirel on Peregine greaves. Nez duo is a really fun, bit of a hectic encounter that feels very achievable. Running is not so bad once you settle into your flow, but managing hate, shoulders, refuge and running is quite the logistical load. DPS is full of annoying little RNG things because he'll be moving around the arena and you need to set the bubble up around a corner so he can't suppress the bubble and kill your overshield. The damage is pretty free though, even if you only land 3-4 charged melee's youre still touching like 2-3Mil in damage a phase per player so with 2 players hitting ~50% of their charged melee you're looking at a close 2 or easy 3 phase. Final stand will be a problem unto itself, but having 2 titans means someone can sit on their bubble for it.

I enjoy that the raid mods are actually relevant in some lowman content and I wish they were more valuable in normal/master. Popping cure everytime you do a node is really nice when you don't have 4 other dudes on add clear.

Doing 1 tractor and 1 rocket, but the rocket seems more trouble than its worth so we'll probably end up doing like a witherhoard/tractor thing.

NezRun - https://dim.gg/oup7jzq/NezRun
NezDmg - https://dim.gg/m34ydyq/NezDmg

Trios'd a Master Wellspring just for fun and that's a really solid, fun experience.

e: I guess the GM node opens next week so that will be fun

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Basic Poster posted:

Alright looking for some tips here. Just absolutely out of ideas. Have tried lfg, every load out at my disposal and cheesing the boss and solo. Have the checkpoint but I can not for the life of me (skill issue, I know) and cannot make it 15 seconds into the last phase of calus in legendary LF campaign.

Its not fun. Its unbelievable in its intentional agitation. Obviously you’re supposed to strand grapple around so the boss or tormentors dont one shot you but also failing that in a perfect motion you fall off the map and take it from the top. This is so impressively shittily designed I can’t believe this is till in live code.

What they hell am I supposed to do? Im just trying to gey my 8 man and this dumb rear end poo poo is the only thing in my way. Tried for hours yesterday to try and learn the fight in the weekly lfg mission(same one) and zero pugs could complete it. This is obviously way over tunes if you can complete raids and not a legendary campaign mission.

If it's something you can just load into, I'll take a shot at it tonight and see what advice I can give after. Alternatively, I can join on your checkpoint and we can get it figured out.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

The easiest play is to go to overchill and ping for help and some nerd will come dumpster it for you

the second easiest thing to do is to optimize your loadout and build. The Tormentors are worth holding onto heavy and dumping rockets or whatever you got going on into, Callus strand shield goes away in like one strand damage hit and he's very susceptible to strand supers. LMG's were all the rage when I went through, probably prefer rockets at this point and use power melee to clear all the other things. You can use witherhoard to great affect and keep moving while it ticks damage and taking special ammo finisher means you'll never run out. You'll want to probably sit on your super for when he pulls you. It takes a while but you just have to be patient. Forerunner is a GOAT against tormentors and inflicts a mini-stun/flinch.

Normal mode raids are easier than legendary campaign though and the encounter is the last encounter of the expansion so you know, I think its probably fine if it takes a while or makes you work for it. The gotcha with the last phase was a motherfucker though the first time through, was very big sad when we got pulled in and wiped because we had blown all our load just getting there and we were out of supers and heavy.

I'd probably just go ping overchill for help if you're very frustrated.

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Poster posted:

If you mean where the bubble comes down and locks you in, stay on the catwalks as the bubble forms and when the Joining Allies thing appears, grapple as far up on top of the bubble as you can and plink away at Calus from above. I think you’re supposed to get all up in his poo poo and melt him with your boosted Strand Super but on Legendary that doesn’t really work so well.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Basic Poster posted:

Play strand, and play with an actual strand build. Something with the Quicksilver Storm too, since it's also basically the best gun in the game. Calus takes extra damage from strand, and you get the extra ability regen using the strand thingy, so it's just a no-brainer.

For Calus, the strat is to stay on the platform you spawn on, and jump up to one of the outer left or right platforms only when he's about to beam the platform you're on, going right back to spawn. The Tormenters are regular fucks, so you just suspend them (or ignore them if they don't get close, since they de-spawn when Calus phases).

Right before you phase him, head inside so you don't get trapped by the thorny darkness poo poo. Then, dump your super and every single bit of damage into him ASAP. If you're doing it right, he should not last 15 seconds.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On legend one super is not enough to kill phase 2 outright; but there are more grapple points in there you can use to avoid him while your super recharges. There are no adds worth caring about in phase 2 so just focus on supering calus and avoiding him when you aren’t doing that

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Waroduce posted:

The easiest play is to go to overchill and ping for help and some nerd will come dumpster it for you

Please add this to the OP

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Please add this to the OP

Eh. Didn’t work. Great same advice, which is good advice I am sure. Trued my strand build which is g2g with qss. Got to the final phase three times and calus one shots me with his cleave everytime. Once right out of midair doing the grapple bit.

Its fine. Its a piece of grievance in a way too long list of utter bullshit things bungie has done including having so many “wont fix” bugs in it because their poo poo architecture will topple when they try to fix things. Their response is “the community has no idea how hard some of these are to fix and they should stop crying like they know anything” when exactly zero other triple a games suffer from similar lists of bugs that just never gets fixed. 8 years of people howling to be able to remove garbage stacks better than one at a time with a highly annoying annoyance pause and rising edge detection only after an operation and a delay. Like come the gently caress on. If that doesn’t tell you that this is not a serious engineering organization I don’t know what will.

That plus what the company has done recently is enough. The bad design, player treatment, callousness and disregard to long time employees, and grotesque rent seeking management is enough for me. Enjoy the final shape. Deleting my 8 year old characters and uninstalling the game and recycling the disk.

I know no one cares and thats fair.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

haveblue posted:

On legend one super is not enough to kill phase 2 outright; but there are more grapple points in there you can use to avoid him while your super recharges. There are no adds worth caring about in phase 2 so just focus on supering calus and avoiding him when you aren’t doing that

Yeah under no cirucmstances solo Calus because it's just a fight designed to be lovely, you need 2 or 3 people, and if all 3 people dump it and some heavy he should go down.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I guess Calus really won.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

EVGA Longoria posted:

Yeah under no cirucmstances solo Calus because it's just a fight designed to be lovely, you need 2 or 3 people, and if all 3 people dump it and some heavy he should go down.

Strongly the opposite at launch but I think they rebalanced the player number scaling at some point so yeah Legendary should be a bit easier with a trio now.

Legendary is also optional, after the first week the higher power level gear is irrelevant - can always just smash it out on normal go back later at any time if you want to challenge it again.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is osteo striga still a good weapon against Calus?

Ditto for using a fire team for the legendary calus fight. Save ur heavies for the last phase and try to knock him out quickly

I think there was some cheese about lofting yourself above the bubble on the last phase but I was never good about the timing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You're supposed to kill the Tormentors before the final phase starts.

Also if Calus is one shotting you, increase your resilience and put on melee resistance mods.

If you're a Hunter or Warlock, equip Assassin's Cowl or Karnstein Armlets. They'll heal you on grapple melee kill, which you can do infinitely with the grapple points.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 8, 2024

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

MJeff posted:

You're supposed to kill the Tormentors before the final phase starts.

Also if Calus is one shotting you, increase your resilience and put on melee resistance mods.

If you're a Hunter or Warlock, equip Assassin's Cowl or Karnstein Armlets. They'll heal you on grapple melee kill, which you can do infinitely with the grapple points.

If you're a Titan, use your barrier to suspend the tormentors. You should be pretty safe on the walkways while Calus shoots at you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Izanagi's Burden is very strong in that fight because you can kite the Tormentors as much as you want on the walkways and sniper their weak point and it does a lot of damage to Calus in the final phase.

Wish Ender and Malfesance would probably also be strong choices because they can do a lot of damage from safe distances with infinite ammo. I actually don't think Quicksilver Storm is the answer there because its strength comes from how fully it integrates into the Strand kit and you're not using a full Strand kit against Calus, you're using a curated incomplete loadout that you can't customize.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I found the grapple grenade really difficult at release too - when I did legendary Calus I found that the shackle grenade stuns him briefly, and with the strand boost and pretty good timing you can basically stun lock him for the majority of the first portion. Once the dome falls and he goes melee it’s trickier though.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MJeff posted:

you're using a curated incomplete loadout that you can't customize.

Only if it's your first time through the campaign and haven't unlocked strand. I guess that could still be the case, but someone talking about grinding the Legendary campaign a year into LF, I'm assuming they have beaten the regular campaign and unlocked Strand.

I've done the strat I posted with 2 people a few times on Legendary campaign and when it was the weekly rotator on Legend and Master difficulties.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

EVGA Longoria posted:

It was difficult but fair solo, I think that poster just has a skill issue.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I did the entire campaign solo and I thought Calus was pretty straightforward compared to the Minotaur boss in the previous level that just stonewalled me for hours but granted that was because I figured out the Assassin's Cowl combo to beat the Minotaur fight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I soloed him on legendary the first time through, it did take a few attempts though. And I don't remember a minotaur boss at all, but I don't remember a lot of the Lightfall campaign

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Do overload rounds do anything to tormentors? Malfeasance still feels like it does way too much damage, and that was before HCs got a buff to orange bars.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I did the entire legendary campaign back to back in a 3 stack on 2 characters so I had a titan for puzzle encounters and a hunter for dps checks.

Jokes on me bc it would have been way easier solo. The vex dude in the swirly room with the laser wall was more annoying than calus if you didn't cheese. The 3 man scaling made everything feel like it had huge health pools

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

2-man feels ideal for a lot of content, because you don't have the increased health pools, but you do have someone else if it goes tits up in a darkness zone. Just having another person alive to rez you is an astronomical drop in difficulty.

One thing I found really useful - thanks modern console gaming - was watching myself back afterwards. I was surprised how many times I was either leaving my flanks open, rushing something I didn't need to rush because I was getting impatient, not picking up on obvious spawn patterns and not aiming my reticle at the next point enemies were likely to be.

Watching yourself back is really helpful if anyone feels like they're bashing their head against a content wall over and over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm so happy, I finally got my old Destiny 1 space bus back

It's kind of seen better days though

e: Destiny 1 had way cooler looking ships than 2 lol

e: Also lol rip peacekeepers - https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/192k23u/destiny_2_update_7305/

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

rip nothing, peacekeepers still loving rule