Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Coco13 posted:

Hell yeah Boo Buie taking it to Tom Izzo you love to see it.

Who's older Boo Buie or Tom Izzo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao boo buie does it to izzo again. northwestern has never had a player that has psychologically tortured an opposing fanbase like this before in my entire life.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao tom izzo retire bitch
https://x.com/idowling11/status/1744196177283719285?s=20

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Haha get hosed Izzo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

we killed him. he's dead
https://x.com/BigTenNetwork/status/1744210764288717172?s=20

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's insane that he has been this destroyed right after a five game win streak including a dominating victory over a top 10 opponent.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's insane that he has been this destroyed right after a five game win streak including a dominating victory over a top 10 opponent.

he's probably just having a fake little tantrum to fire up the team, but i prefer to think that boo buie has driven him insane. That's 4 out of the last 5, which is absolutely ludicrous given that i'm struggling to think of any pre-bouie northwestern victory over michigan state in the 21st century.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kevin Coble beat us once and it was an embarrasment.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

did the math and boo buie's teams have more wins (4) against michigan state than every non-buie northwestern team since 2000 (3).

also kevin coble ruled, it's a shame he quit the team. he and Shurna together may have done it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We did beat his brother the other day so this was also revenge.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Michigan is 1-3 in conference play as well, they lost to Penn St at the Palestra. Phil Martelli coached them instead of Howard today.

As mentioned a page or two back, the Big Ten is bad this year.

3 good teams

Illinois
Purdue
Wisconsin

7 teams with question marks

Indiana - Played Kansas tough, but needed a big comeback to beat Louisville and Morehead State had a chance at the buzzer to win in Bloomington. KenPom #91
Iowa - Probably bad, best wins are at home against Michigan and Rutgers. All offense, no defense. KenPom #53
Michigan St - Beat Baylor in Detroit, if not for that would be in the bad category, but has the talent to go on a run. Somehow still KenPom #19
Minnesota - 12-3, but against a horrible schedule. Best win was home vs Nebraska, lost at San Francisco. KenPom #78
Nebraska - Similar to Minnesota against a slightly better schedule. Keisei Tominaga rules. Beat Sparty at home and K. State in a true road game. KenPom #52
Northwestern - Beat Purdue, lost to Chicago St, blown out at Illinois. KenPom #56
Ohio State - Beat Alabama in a holiday tournament, lost at Penn St and Indiana. Close win at home over Rutgers despite shooting 11-24 from 3. Good roster, but questionable results. KenPom #36

4 bad teams

Maryland
Michigan
Penn State
Rutgers

Of the 7 question marks only Michigan St had a strong non-conference schedule. Ohio St got screwed by UCLA and to a lesser extent Texas A&M under-performing this year, but the win over Alabama is going to save them if they have a so-so conference result. Those two and Northwestern are in most brackets as of now. Indiana, Iowa, and Nebraska are outside shots for a 7th conference bid if the committee is feeling generous. Nebraska has a home win vs Indiana, but has to go there and to Iowa. Iowa goes to Indiana for their only meeting. If one of that group can sweep the remaining games, get two wins at least 2 wins against the good teams, and not lose to the bad teams they have a shot.

Sorry for all the words, insomnia is a hell of a thing.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

PotatoJudge posted:

Michigan is 1-3 in conference play as well, they lost to Penn St at the Palestra. Phil Martelli coached them instead of Howard today.

As mentioned a page or two back, the Big Ten is bad this year.

3 good teams

Illinois
Purdue
Wisconsin

7 teams with question marks

Indiana - Played Kansas tough, but needed a big comeback to beat Louisville and Morehead State had a chance at the buzzer to win in Bloomington. KenPom #91
Iowa - Probably bad, best wins are at home against Michigan and Rutgers. All offense, no defense. KenPom #53
Michigan St - Beat Baylor in Detroit, if not for that would be in the bad category, but has the talent to go on a run. Somehow still KenPom #19
Minnesota - 12-3, but against a horrible schedule. Best win was home vs Nebraska, lost at San Francisco. KenPom #78
Nebraska - Similar to Minnesota against a slightly better schedule. Keisei Tominaga rules. Beat Sparty at home and K. State in a true road game. KenPom #52
Northwestern - Beat Purdue, lost to Chicago St, blown out at Illinois. KenPom #56
Ohio State - Beat Alabama in a holiday tournament, lost at Penn St and Indiana. Close win at home over Rutgers despite shooting 11-24 from 3. Good roster, but questionable results. KenPom #36

4 bad teams

Maryland
Michigan
Penn State
Rutgers

Of the 7 question marks only Michigan St had a strong non-conference schedule. Ohio St got screwed by UCLA and to a lesser extent Texas A&M under-performing this year, but the win over Alabama is going to save them if they have a so-so conference result. Those two and Northwestern are in most brackets as of now. Indiana, Iowa, and Nebraska are outside shots for a 7th conference bid if the committee is feeling generous. Nebraska has a home win vs Indiana, but has to go there and to Iowa. Iowa goes to Indiana for their only meeting. If one of that group can sweep the remaining games, get two wins at least 2 wins against the good teams, and not lose to the bad teams they have a shot.

Sorry for all the words, insomnia is a hell of a thing.

This is a good wrap up, thank you.

As an Ohio State fan I'm just hoping to not totally collapse in January like every other Holtmann year. Results so far are not promising.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Yea, I've only really started paying attention beyond Wisconsin's games the last week or so, appreciate the write-up as well. Can confirm Tominaga is indeed very good. Klesmit used all of his energy chasing him around, and he still had an uber efficient 17 points. Just needed the slightest bit of daylight, and he burns you.

Wisconsin's depth is a huge strength right now, and they're poised for a monster year in 2024-2025 as well (assuming good health and player retention). Everytime Gard starts to face some serious fan backlash, he comes back with a roster that surprises by being more than the sum of its parts. He's unlikely to have Ryan's legacy, but that kind of consistency is rare anywhere outside like 5 other cbb programs. Seeing how other B10 programs have suffered through coaching changes, I'll never bemoan Gard.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I am not ready for this Gauntlet of a MWC Road Schedule

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I don’t think a single person in the state of Iowa gives a quarter of a poo poo about the Iowa men’s basketball team this year for obvious reasons

McCaffery set the school wins record, that’s nice, no one cares because Caitlin Clark is basically setting some record or other every week

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
yeah there’s just no way you can play him and Illinois doing this is not a sign of “a rush to judgment” because universities whatever their lip service do not give a single poo poo about sexual assault or rape culture beyond the two things they do care about, which are legal liability and revenue streams. Their lawyers looked over everything and sized up the lost revenue and likely lawsuit from Shannon’s end and still suspended him because they made the judgment civil lawsuit that the victim would file would end up costing them more.

https://twitter.com/jeffeisenberg/status/1744718534415142921?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Jimmy Dykes really just said “the guys he (Rob Dillingham) is guarding is a fire hydrant” about the beefy guy #10 on Mizzou and I’m dying

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Christ, Indiana is awful

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

gently caress yes cyclones! Big 12 is a meat grinder.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
no more unbeatens, Houston was on cruise control till now but yeah nobody is running that table

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Purdue hasn't played great and Nebraska is 13-20 from 3. A very ugly night so far.

Yep, getting court stormed again. Don't turn the ball over 14 times and let the other team shoot 61% from 3.

PotatoJudge fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 10, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
aaaaAAAAAAA

https://twitter.com/jonschaeffer/status/1744970512076337503?t=B69F6fvxy0dExScQRT3I0g&s=19

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Do we have any NC state guys here? I'm obviously a huge UNC homer and want to know if I get to talk trash/eat my words with anybody.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee 2-13 from 3 at the half. Lmao how are we this bad on offense

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

OPAONI posted:

Do we have any NC state guys here? I'm obviously a huge UNC homer and want to know if I get to talk trash/eat my words with anybody.

I have no clue what to expect out of State tonight. They played Tennessee close but also almost lost to a rebuilding ND program and blew out a floundering UVA. Kenpom has it at 79-73 UNC and if they can keep it that close… well, I won’t be happy but I at least won’t feel that immense sense of regret from spending 2+ hours watching.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Michigan's Dug McDaniel is suspended for 6 road games. He'll play the home games, I've never seen such a thing. No reason given.

https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/1745235134478000288

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Freaquency posted:

I have no clue what to expect out of State tonight. They played Tennessee close but also almost lost to a rebuilding ND program and blew out a floundering UVA. Kenpom has it at 79-73 UNC and if they can keep it that close… well, I won’t be happy but I at least won’t feel that immense sense of regret from spending 2+ hours watching.

On pace for roughly 45 for each team.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KU can't handle being #1 for more than 24 hours it's like clockwork

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

PotatoJudge posted:

Michigan's Dug McDaniel is suspended for 6 road games. He'll play the home games, I've never seen such a thing. No reason given.

https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/1745235134478000288

This is bizarre as hell. Maybe bad grades or something so they don’t want him traveling? It’s a guess.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

This is bizarre as hell. Maybe bad grades or something so they don’t want him traveling? It’s a guess.

There was a rumor going around late December that he'd be out on Monday when the new semester started because of grades. But if it was grades, how would he be back at all?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I almost didn't want to post it because Michigan is super-duper irrelevant and rear end this year, but it does appear to be grades based on the "several academic goals" quote:

https://twitter.com/bluebyninety/status/1745239008685240549

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

1, 2 and 3 all go down

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kansas goes down. 1, 2 and 3 all losing in 24 hours or so.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
And 5

Four of the top five losing to unranked teams

Cmoooon UConn make it a sweep

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

weird night, maybe nowhere more so than Louisville winning its first road game since January 2022.

OPAONI posted:

my State fandom passed through longsuffering to just outright numb resignation a long time ago

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://twitter.com/mgp913/status/1745263001047855191?t=pxqYYwrNcTrhm_agxz1t3w&s=19

:drat:

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

elentar" post ="537082857 posted:

weird night, maybe nowhere more so than Louisville winning its first road game since January 2022.

my State fandom passed through longsuffering to just outright numb resignation a long time ago

Your guys are fighting like mad though.

Edit: How the gently caress did I jinx the OTHER team?! It never works like that!

OPAONI fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 11, 2024

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

kiimo posted:

1, 2 and 3 all go down

Lmao UCF, how the hell

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lol the unranked women jayhawks beat a top 5 baylor too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chieves posted:

Lmao UCF, how the hell

Didn't see the game, but the box score has Elmiro Jackson hardly existing, and it's just making me cock my head.