Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Infinitum posted:

Anyway the only eps of Capaldi's run that I can never seem to get into is the double parter Under the Lake & Before the Flood - Just think the villains a bit naff, with its romper stomper boots, and there's too much faffing about.

Otherwise I think 12 had a really solid run that was such a tonal difference to what people were used to that it probably threw them off a lot.

Once again this threads rule #1 works. I think those two episodes are some of the strongest (I love timey wimey poo poo). But yeah, that villain is the absolute weakest link in those. Weird cameo, lame villain, but love it none the less

Edit what a terrible page snipe.

I'll add some more. I'm currently almost through another re-listen of unit dominion and it has once again reminded me it's my favorite thing big finish has done.

I still laugh at the American and Japanese UNIT characters though, just the laziest shorthand in accent use 😂.

McGann fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

McGann posted:

Once again this threads rule #1 works. I think those two episodes are some of the strongest (I love timey wimey poo poo). But yeah, that villain is the absolute weakest link in those. Weird cameo, lame villain, but love it none the less

Edit what a terrible page snipe.

I'll add some more. I'm currently almost through another re-listen of unit dominion and it has once again reminded me it's my favorite thing big finish has done.

I still laugh at the American and Japanese UNIT characters though, just the laziest shorthand in accent use 😂.

Listening to it without knowing the big reveal was great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Under the Lake/Before the Flood feel like the sort of story Moffat would write under RTD that'd become a highlight of the season.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

And it wasn't even him!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wish Whithouse had run the show for a bit instead of Chibnall. He's got his flaws, and he mostly writes kitchen sink dramas and morality plays so he might have run out of ideas fairly quickly, but he's a funny guy with a strong sense of how to construct a narrative. I'd liked to have seen what he'd have done, though I know in my heart it would have 10000% been a one season arc about the companion becoming slowly corrupted and unlikable thanks to the Doctor making them an offer to travel that they couldn't possibly have refused.

McGann posted:

"my wife, who is at home right now being pregnant, would be very sad if anything happened to me, so I hope nothing bad happens to me because of my pregnant, pregnant wife"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Very funny that Moffat wrote such a terrible episode purely to hold the Christmas time slot for a guy who hosed it off at the first opportunity

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Capaldi for sure deserved a better exit than "it's not an evil plan".

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I will never be able to look past him making the 1st doctor as awful he did in that episode. Totally craps all over that first era of the show in my mind.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Moffat's run is my favorite and it's not close. I speedrun 9 and 10 to get to 11 and 12. It blows me away that people think he sucks.

Like, at best, he's kind of poo poo. But he doesn't suck.

At Doctor Who. Hoooooo boy does he suck elsewhere.

While I wouldn’t say 9 or 10 are bad or anything, to me yeah Moffat’s run is the best I’ve ever seen (granted i haven’t seen a ton of classic). Series 5 has got to been the best season of DW I’ve ever watched, and 12 is my favorite Doctor.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

"my wife, who is at home right now being pregnant, would be very sad if anything happened to me, so I hope nothing bad happens to me because of my pregnant, pregnant wife"

Oh god, and any time the wife had to appear, it was the most depressing and pathetic thing. "oh my sweet Sargeant is not here, I'll just sleep until he's back because I'm not an actual person and only exist in relation to my secondary character husband"

I think I believe they were going for a sweet romance motivation, but it only made me think that both Mrs Wilson and Sargeant Wilson were absolutely pathetic.

"steady on rainn, I'm a married man with a Bae on the way" my guy, getting married does not immediately exclude you from flirty conversation.

I should point out that I've been dealing with a co-worker using me as a relationship coach (against my desires, I'm my looking for it lol) and it reminds me of this. Probably coloring my review this time around, because I don't remember being this annoyed on previous listens.

And that's my cue to stop before I write a thousand words on this story with no real point or goal.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

Moffat's run is my favorite and it's not close. I speedrun 9 and 10 to get to 11 and 12. It blows me away that people think he sucks.

Like, at best, he's kind of poo poo. But he doesn't suck.

At Doctor Who. Hoooooo boy does he suck elsewhere.

I liked Coupling for what it was :smith:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Coupling was good fun, had some very creative concepts for episodes and great gags. Very sweet ending as well. I had a good double take at one bit when I rewatched a few years back, where a character says X is the case but later Y turns out to be the case, and when confronted with the fact that he said X before the character replies: "A clever lie."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I liked Coupling. Some of the episodes had the same "perfectly logical series of events leads to a ridiculous conclusion" that Graham Linehan used to be able to manage before his brain got eaten.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I was impressed Moffat managed to find an untapped Christmas theme to use. Really thought the vein was tapped, but then, "Oh, it's the trenches and you didn't say which year, well-played."

Finding out that the regeneration was meant for The Doctor Falls and this was all done to secure things for Chibnall made my confusion over the rest of the episode make a lot more sense.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What's the story there? I've never heard it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
How Moffat didn't originally intend to go out on a Christmas special? There's a brief summary here: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/cult/a834617/doctor-who-christmas-special-almost-scrapped/

quote:

I was going to leave at the end of series 10 – I had my finale planned and what I wanted to do with it. I had a good notion of that. Then I learned at a drinks event somewhere that Chris didn't want to start with a Christmas, so at that point they were going to skip Christmas. There'd be no Christmas special and we would've lost that slot. Doctor Who would've lost that slot if we hadn't [done a special] because Christmas Day is now so rammed. So I said, probably four glasses of red wine in, 'I'll do Christmas!' and then had to persuade Peter that's how we were leaving.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

From what I remember, Doctor Falls was written as the Twelfth Doctor's final story. Then Chibnall lets Moffat know he won't be ready in time to do a Christmas ep, doesn't want to do one, he'll just drop it and do the first story in the new year. Moffat gets concerned that dropping the highly visible prime Christmas slot that has been reserved for Who since RTD will damage the show's place in the public consciousness. So he holds on to the Christmas slot with a new regeneration story. The reason Twice Upon A Time feels a bit like a hastily thrown together anticlimactic afterthought is because it apparently was.

Does give me echoes of Last Christmas where apparently Shona was being set up as the new companion, but then Jenna Coleman during the readthrough confirms she will stay on and we get that one "It was a dream again!" too many.

E: beaten like the idea of New Years Day specials

Coward fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 7, 2024

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My only problem with the Capaldi era was between the Doctor’s self examination and Moffat being SO into twisty nonlinear storytelling we almost never got a “normal” episode where the Doctor and his companion save a world from evil monsters. Series 11 was appealing in its back to basics way, though it rarely hit the heights of Moffat at his best.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Coward posted:

From what I remember, Doctor Falls was written as the Twelfth Doctor's final story. Then Chibnall lets Moffat know he won't be ready in time to do a Christmas ep, doesn't want to do one, he'll just drop it and do the first story in the new year. Moffat gets concerned that dropping the highly visible prime Christmas slot that has been reserved for Who since RTD will damage the show's place in the public consciousness. So he holds on to the Christmas slot with a new regeneration story. The reason Twice Upon A Time feels a bit like a hastily thrown together anticlimactic afterthought is because it apparently was.

Does give me echoes of Last Christmas where apparently Shona was being set up as the new companion, but then Jenna Coleman during the readthrough confirms she will stay on and we get that one "It was a dream again!" too many.

E: beaten like the idea of New Years Day specials

wow, gently caress Jenna Coleman then

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Autisanal Cheese posted:

- Shona's actor.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

MikeJF posted:

- Shona's actor.

I think if Shona was going to be companion she was going to be played by someone else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sam Sanskrit posted:

I think if Shona was going to be companion she was going to be played by someone else.

If it was happening during the read through then in all likelihood someone was cast in that role, even if it wasn't Faye Marsay.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

To be fair, if Jenna Coleman had left in Last Christmas, I don't see how we would have got Heaven Sent, and almost certainly we would not have got Bill. But I still would have loved to see Shona and Missy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I vaguely remember Moffat saying around the time it broadcast that he'd written a version for if she left and one for if she stayed because he was pretty sure she was going to stay. I imagine she was keeping her options open, maybe some contracts got renegotiated behind the scenes or w/e

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2house2fly posted:

Series 8 is my fav one. First half of Deep Breath is a slog, but the minute Clara and the Doctor sit down in that restaurant it's like a switch has flipped and the Doctor is here. Such a tonal departure from Matt Smith, marking a clear delineation between eras without a change in lead writer, an underrated trick. Ditches complicated myth arcs for thematic and emotional ones; I'm a sucker for a series where the stories all rhyme with each other in some way- robots, soldiers, power relations. It has an episode where the villain is a mummy, an episode where the villain is the protagonist's fear of the dark, and an episode where one of the heroes is Santa Claus. The Doctor is really interesting, ruthlessly pragmatic and socially uninterested to the point of "deleting" people from his memory moments after meeting them. Nobody's inviting this guy to Christmas dinner after he helps them defeat a monster. Even he's unsure who he is and what he should be after so many regenerations, going so far as to compare himself to the Ship of Theseus. (one year later in Heaven Sent: "how long can I keep doing this? Burning the old me to make a new one?") Plus he's got that snazzy jacket with the red lining. It's a great time

It also has one of my favorite Capaldi lines ever "Hello hello rubbish robots from the dawn of time"

Immediately made me go "Oh there's the Doctor" when I first saw it

Coward posted:

I was impressed Moffat managed to find an untapped Christmas theme to use. Really thought the vein was tapped, but then, "Oh, it's the trenches and you didn't say which year, well-played."

Finding out that the regeneration was meant for The Doctor Falls and this was all done to secure things for Chibnall made my confusion over the rest of the episode make a lot more sense.

I do like the whole idea of both 12 and 1 avoiding their regeneration and them helping each other figure it out. The rest of the episode is a mess, but that and the Christmas Armistice bit was nice. Oh and "They cut out all the jokes!"

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 8, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I do like the whole idea of both 12 and 1 avoiding their regeneration and them helping each other figure it out. The rest of the episode is a mess, but that and the Christmas Armistice bit was nice. Oh and "They cut out all the jokes!"

I still adore the opening. "Previously... 800 episodes ago"

The episode itself was a bit of a whiff in execution (I only just with this post remembered it was the Christmas Truce episode), but so much of its singular ideas were fun.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

MikeJF posted:

- Shona's actor.

I love Faye Marsay tho, and she'd make a great addition if they'd ever have her back

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Jenna Coleman somehow managed to be in the unique position of having single season contracts, so every season was her last whilst she played hardball over the money.

Can't really blame her, but she probably stayed on one too many seasons and missed her shot at a Nebula level role.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cleretic posted:

I still adore the opening. "Previously... 800 episodes ago"

The episode itself was a bit of a whiff in execution (I only just with this post remembered it was the Christmas Truce episode), but so much of its singular ideas were fun.

I really dig David Bradley and thought An Adventure in Space and Time was a treat, but his Hartnell actually in the show never quite worked for me... that said, I was over the moon to see them redo some brief parts from The Tenth Planet, that was very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDr-p7Nq9Y

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Jenna Coleman somehow managed to be in the unique position of having single season contracts, so every season was her last whilst she played hardball over the money.

Can't really blame her, but she probably stayed on one too many seasons and missed her shot at a Nebula level role.

She's even worse at accents than Gillen, I dunno if she'd have much success doing American franchise stuff tbh.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm sure she made some decent change off the gig, but lol at taking Karen Gillan to make her bald and covered in blue crap to play a purple idiot's daughter. Now she's stuck being typecast as smurfs and avatars.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Now that the X-Men are under the Disney umbrella (thanks to Disney's purchase of Fox), they can just cast Karen Gillan as Moira MacTaggert in whatever new X-Men movie they decide to make.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Khanstant posted:

Now she's stuck being typecast as ... avatars.

You're thinking of Zoe Saldana.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Too many actresses bluing themselves in their prime

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1744411682850349493

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
https://twitter.com/fleshykrynoid/status/1744289184276214246?t=hOPrPu_p-SA-FOwnybP4tA&s=19

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Every so often for the last couple of weeks, I've been thinking about the 'a sonic screwdriver needs screws' line and giggling.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I like to experiment sometimes when I go out to eat. Often it's decent, and I get to experience something new and enjoyable like the Ethiopian restaurant I went to last night. Then sometimes you end up at a Thai/Viet/Mexican fusion joint, or Skaro, and maybe you decide you'd be better off with burgers or South Croydon after all.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Peter Calapdi was so good as The Doctor. Twelve is one of the best.

Time for an audio! I picked up The High Price of Parking in a recent sale, so I had a listen.

Let's get the elephant in the room done first: it's Paradise Towers. I haven't even seen Paradise Towers and I can see the influence. 7, Ace and Mel go to a planet sized car park and meet a tribe of people descended from travellers who forgot how where they parked their spaceships. The parking wardens try and keep order, as a radical group trying to enforce "free parking". It's a very silly concept, and there's some fun gags about what happens to spaceships when people aren't flying them.

McCoy is on good form here, not too light and comedic, but giving this one more of a gentle touch. Ace and Mel get roles that show off their character skills - Ace rebels against authority and provides the voice of reason to rebels going too far, Mel does some computer stuff! For a lighter story with a fun runaround with 7, Ace and Mel, it's entertaining enough.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've poked around some of the Lockdown stuff that got produced in 2020 by the Who team. Some of it is pretty good, like the little skit between Nardole and Bill that Moffat wrote. Nice use of Gold's music and it tries to address the BLM protests about as well as Dr Who ever could. (The surrounding material implies that might have been inspired by Pearl Mackie discussing it with Moffat.)

On the other hand there's a 14 Doctors skit done largely by the Big Finish crew of impressionists (and David Bradley). It leans incredibly hard on callbacks and in-jokes in the worst way, to be honest. It's mainly interesting to hear all the different impressions back to back. Jon Culshaw pulls triple duty: His Tom is obviously well know and pretty good, but I actually think his Pertwee is even better. He also does Davison and it's... alright, gets better as he settles into it. The guys doing Colin and Hurt do excellent jobs, and Jacob Dudman's Matt Smith is loving uncanny. Like it's not the usual 'oh that sounds enough like them that i recognise it' but more in the 'how is that voice coming out of someone else' that I get from very few others (Bill Hader's Alan Alda comes close). The 2 Scots come off the worst. Seven sounds like Sylvester but not as the Doctor, and Twelve is far more broad that Capaldi ever goes even when he's not playing the Doctor.