Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's the movie titled "Precious: based on the novel Push by Sapphire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Air Skwirl posted:

There's the movie titled "Precious: based on the novel Push by Sapphire."

There's an Office gag where Michael's listening to the audiobook of the novelization of the movie Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bright Bart posted:

My secret shame is that I don't find butts, buttholes, farting, or feces funny at all.

fwiw it isn't played for laughs in the film, and it's less the poo poo itself I find funny but more that it's so unnecessarily realistic. Like people standing while birds surround and fly by them happens all the time in movies. The Boy and the Heron is the first to take the bold stand and show what would actually happen to a person if that happened. In the movie no one ever comments on it, making it feel very matter-of-factly.

I am sorry you don't find butts funny. The goofiest orifice.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
If you keep making abridged versions of abridged versions you end up with what people unfairly claim Hemmingway does:

I.T. is just a freeze-frame of the clown holding a rocket launcher that reads Abuse, Bullying, Puberty, Small Town Ennui, Life Passing You By, Unmet Expectations, Fear of Growing Up, and Terrors of Childhood on the sides.

A Tale of Two Cities outright ends after the first lines.

Anyway I think SimonChris wins. But is also a huge dork for knowing about that one.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 7, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bright Bart posted:

e: To write something that fits the thread, people make fun of the concept of Thing: The Novelization of the Thing Movie Based on The Novel Thing By Author but are there real examples? The closest I think I've seen are special editions of the original novel that change the names of characters and maybe cut some chapters to fit the movie, a still from which replaces the cover.

Going off old memory here but pretty sure that once upon a time there was a sci-fi short story by Phillip K. Dick called We Can Remember It For You Wholesale. That was adapted into a movie called Total Recall, which then had a novelisation written by Piers Anthony.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Man, I loved novelizations when I was a kid. I even owned the novelization of Baby's Day Out. I've never seen the movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I read the Total Recall novelization last year for some reason. It's truly awful, but also fascinating. It attempts to make sense out of the alien technology and motivations present in the movie by bringing in lore. Which has to do with some truly bizarre giant intergalactic ants who connect "good" alien species to an intergalactic trade network, and allow bad ones to destroy themselves. It's told through a surreal ant-alien parable, and ends up being a kind of "weighing of the heart" for an entire civilization.

In the end it aalllllmost works, as weird as it is, because it actually does pretty much track with what we see on sceen. But is clearly too out there for what we see on screen. It's an insane chapter where Piers Anthony clearly watched the movie and immediately wrote out the first thing that came to his head and his editors didn't care enough about a Total Recall novelization (or didn't have the budget) to tell him to rewrite it. I would not be shocked if Piers wrote the whole thing in one continuous substance-induced haze ala L Ron Hubbard.

With another pass toning things down a little and integrating it more beyond just that one chapter, it could actually deepen what we see on screen. But based on the vast number of typos present in the printed book, multiple drafts clearly weren't in the cards.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 7, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

That's really cool actually. I've read novelizations where they're essentially just a transcript of the movie so gotta give him credit for going for it.

I remember as a wee child reading a book that was a sequel to the movie ET. I don't remember seeing that before or since, a prose sequel to a movie. Wonder if there are others.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, the aforementioned Blade Runner books. But they immediately betray the spirit of the movie by more or less resetting to status quo. The entire plot is also based on a production goof that was fixed in the Director's Cut.

The ET ride at Universal Studios is also a sequel to the movie. I wonder if there's any overlap with the book.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 7, 2024

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

regulargonzalez posted:

That's really cool actually. I've read novelizations where they're essentially just a transcript of the movie so gotta give him credit for going for it.

I remember as a wee child reading a book that was a sequel to the movie ET. I don't remember seeing that before or since, a prose sequel to a movie. Wonder if there are others.

The novelization to the video game Doom has a bunch of sequels set in Salt Lake City (author is Mormon).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

The ET ride at Universal Studios is also a sequel to the movie. I wonder if there's any overlap with the book.

If I remember correctly it's about ET's planet. I want to say Elliot isn't even in it but I'm going off of 40+ year old memories.

E: and now I feel like I'm losing my mind because according to this it was published in 1985
https://ettheextraterrestrial.fandom.com/wiki/The_Book_of_the_Green_Planet

But I have a crystal clear memory of reading it in the summer of 1983, based on where I remember reading it (balcony of the apartment we lived in that year). Memory is so bizarre.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 7, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I had the novelisation of the bob hoskins Super Mario Bros movie I found at a second hand bookshop once, but I lost it long ago

I don't think I ever actually read it I think I just got it because that's a funny tchotchke

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 7, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Anonymous Robot posted:

The novelization to the video game Doom has a bunch of sequels set in Salt Lake City (author is Mormon).

Oh yeah, including the Doom monsters attacking Salt Lake City with the help of the tanks of the IRS

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

regulargonzalez posted:

Heat 2

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mister Quickly posted:

Based upon the popular film Mortal Kombat, 'Mortal Kombat: A Novel' is beginning to be recognised as a classic.

Generally the book is very faithful to the film, and what it lacks in the movie's luscious visual textures it makes up for with Martin Delrio's lyricism. In one episode of the book, Sub Zero is looking at Scorpion whose leg he has just frozen "in a legwarmer of diamond butterflies", while Scorpion "evacuates from the pigpen dungeon of his dirty guts a powerful authoritarian bellow." Another scene Johnny Cage uppercuts Reptile and the action momentarily suspends in this delicate lull; a wind "enchanted with a fine herbed pungency from whisking through a sage patch" passes by Johnny Cage, and Reptile is "reeking and barfing green poisonous syrup." Such potency.

This book is timeless... immortal kombat.

https://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Novel-Martin-Delrio/dp/0812544536

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Re: fart humor

This is maybe the funniest video of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lEpY6hIg6w

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Hilarious.

The best short film of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moi6CTYC1hY

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Today I watched Godzilla Minus One , which was excellently sentimental and melodramatic and fun. Even if you're basically rooting for a vanquished fascist empire to get back off the mat, they sreally sell it with the power of a Tiny Cute Kid, and some top-notch destruction.

It would have been a great movie day if I didn't follow it up with Leave the World Behind, which was basically garbage. Never trust a movie where one of the execs is Sasha Obama on work experience. Great performers wasted on an awful script, this would have been poo poo writing for an episode of Black Mirror.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I finally caught Minus One the other day, myself. (The first film I saw in theater since The Lighthouse.)

The criticisms that it feel like Godzilla-by-way-of-Spielberg are about correct, in both the good and bad sense. The theater actually had a power outage toward the end, so I ended up missing everything between the destroyers crossing paths and Godzilla being towed back out of the depths.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Peccadillo posted:

I had the novelisation of the bob hoskins Super Mario Bros movie I found at a second hand bookshop once, but I lost it long ago

I don't think I ever actually read it I think I just got it because that's a funny tchotchke

I found it in the high school library, it stood out since it has a gold shiny cover, and read it when I was both curious and really bored. I think it's a pretty straightforward recounting of the movie, or at least the script at some stage, since I know the movie's production was an insane mess.

I never actually got around to watching The Phantom Menace, I read the novelisation instead, which is a pretty big book and includes I think some cut scenes from the movie, like starting out with Anakin on an errand outside of the city where he finds a wounded Tusken and gives him some medical treatment, and later on the rest of the Tuskens find him and help Anakin get home. Feels like a poignant bit given what happens later.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Oh yeah, including the Doom monsters attacking Salt Lake City with the help of the tanks of the IRS

Ha I remember reading, and loving, these books as a kid. But of course I didn’t make any deep connections about the Mormons then. Just wow those Salt Lake City people sure are smart for having the one safe zone and a space ship.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Schwarzwald posted:

I finally caught Minus One the other day, myself. (The first film I saw in theater since The Lighthouse.)

The criticisms that it feel like Godzilla-by-way-of-Spielberg are about correct, in both the good and bad sense. The theater actually had a power outage toward the end, so I ended up missing everything between the destroyers crossing paths and Godzilla being towed back out of the depths.

I could see the Spielberg influence certainly in stuff like the big Jaws scene, but all the boat characters and melodrama made me think of Shonen anime more. The scientist even had whacky hair.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So I'm beginning to think the volunteer for January isn't gunna get their thread up. Would someone like to volunteer to take on movie of the month on short notice?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Visited a Flix Brewhouse for the first time, was floored at how similar it was to Alamo Drafthouse. Food and a movie in a recliner isn't a unique concept anymore, but even the branding and design felt so similar to Alamo that I was wondering if it was owned by the same company.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flix Brewhouse sounds like if a comedy show had to make up a fake version of Alamo Drafthouse

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

So I'm beginning to think the volunteer for January isn't gunna get their thread up. Would someone like to volunteer to take on movie of the month on short notice?

Is there a theme

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a theme

Nope, just a movie you think is awesome and hasn't been selected before:
https://boxd.it/jAXG0

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has Possession been chosen before? It feels like. Jan movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No it's a Andrzej movie.

Little Otik is a Jan movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

I can't do it right not but if nobody gets one up before me in a couple hours I'll do it. The movie will be Mobile Suit Gundam: Reconguista in G: The Movie I: Go! Core Fighter.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If I get home and there is no thread I will be making it for Possession.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Well now it's a race

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

No it's a Andrzej movie.

:golfclap:

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Too late. I'm a college student with excess free time and I'm writing one up for Southland Tales as we speak. Pimps don't commit suicide and so forth

EDIT: Did not realize the list had a page two. Drat

mutantIke fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 8, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

No it's a Andrzej movie.

What about Speed?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Has Possession been chosen before? It feels like. Jan movie.

Three years back: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946259

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If no one has done a thread by tomorrow I'll make one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay if Possession has already been chosen then I'm going to select Angst.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

If I get home and there is no thread I will be making it for Possession.

It has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

distortion park posted:

If no one has done a thread by tomorrow I'll make one.

Letting you claim it!