Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The best part about Ned Kelly is he's treated like a national hero, like a Robin Hood of Aus. But he wasn't lol. Dude was just a highwayman, aka mugged and robbed and murdered people.

But he had that wicked suit that didn't really work, so I guess he was proto-Iron Mans. Sometimes a cool suit does a lot for your image.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Abraham Lincoln was openly a white supremacist. The Democrats at the time were worse.

He also never really had a problem with the ongoing slaughter of native populations.
Abe Lincoln fuckin milkshake ducked, who would've seen it coming? Tsk tsk tsk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

BTW I haven't heard anything about Trump's isolation levels for a while. Is he now fully accessible?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

Ned Kelly is a fun story

The biopic about him starring Yahoo Serious is great.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

He also never really had a problem with the ongoing slaughter of native populations.

A vast majority of Americans still don't give a poo poo about it, either

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

A vast majority of Americans still don't give a poo poo about it, either

Because of racism

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

Four years of all that, topped off with COVID, and he got 12 million MORE votes than he did in 2016.

this is the poo poo that haunts me

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

kdrudy posted:

The biopic about him starring Yahoo Serious is great.

dont sleep on this

its a weird, enviro nationalist, kinda racist, pisstake at americans and also a metacommentary of making moives and "going hollywood"

the closest thing australia has produced to a naked gun or airplane and its absolutely slept on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNgJpIynLJ0

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Because of racism

oh I know, I've lived in New Mexico for about 38 years

Jestery posted:

dont sleep on this

its a weird, enviro nationalist, kinda racist, pisstake at americans and also a metacommentary of making moives and "going hollywood"

the closest thing australia has produced to a naked gun or airplane and its absolutely slept on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNgJpIynLJ0

yeah thats a fun movie

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

syntaxfunction posted:

My excuse is I'm not American.

Please don't quiz me on Australian history (lol no one ever cares about Australian history)

Emu war

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MrQwerty posted:

THIS IS ACTUALLY A VERY ACCURATE RECREATION OF 12TH CENTURY FRENCH LIGHT INFANTRY, INCLUDING THE OVEN MITTS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH

lmao yeah what's medieval light infantry gonna do to a bunch of people with short rifles chambered in 5.56x45

Looks like cheap chain-mail, and I doubt he's wearing gambeson or a padded coat beneath. Pretty sure a heavy crossbow bolt would do it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I mean, don't get me wrong, Lincoln was by a pretty wide margin more progressive than any president before him and most of his political contemporaries. But he was also a vicious racist that supported colonization and mass killings of indigenous americans, and had a long history of public, documented white supremacy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Every year the Emu's get a day off work on the day we officially surrendered to them. :(

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Emu War loving ruled and we'd do it (and lose it) again.

If you can't appreciate having a failed war against birds as part of your country's history then your country has the wrong ideals.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

dr_rat posted:

Every year the Emu's get a day off work on the day we officially surrendered to them. :(

Emus seem like the nicest of the large freaky birds so just be glad it wasn’t the Cassowary war!!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I mean, don't get me wrong, Lincoln was by a pretty wide margin more progressive than any president before him and most of his political contemporaries. But he was also a vicious racist that supported colonization and mass killings of indigenous americans, and had a long history of public, documented white supremacy.

also he was pretty tight with the moonies

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

We call them "Mormons" here in the USA, get it right, thanks

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol a religious cult was so violent and annoying that we just gave them a state in the middle of the desert

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Israel?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

priznat posted:

Emus seem like the nicest of the large freaky birds so just be glad it wasn’t the Cassowary war!!

Oh, they can still be mean as hell, and when you see one up close you can sure as hell tell why they won. They 100% deserved to.

Last time saw one was actually by the side of very quite bush highway just standing their looking very confused. Me and my mate thought it might be trying to hitchhike but as you know, no thumbs, it was hard to tell.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

doh!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MrQwerty posted:

lol a religious cult was so violent and annoying that we just gave them a state in the middle of the desert

I remember reading one of the old Sherlock Holmes books, and one of the mysteries had this weird murderous US cult in it.

lt was the Mormons. lol.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

dr_rat posted:

I remember reading one of the old Sherlock Holmes books, and one of the mysteries had this weird murderous US cult in it.

lt was the Mormons. lol.

It's a drat shame that Utah is a religious cult compound because it's got some of the prettiest poo poo you're ever gonna see in this country

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The last republican candidate who wasn’t openly and/or obviously a racist … actually I don’t know that there ever has been one. And the population is obviously way higher than the last time a republican candidate was less racist than the democratic one.

Dubya and his dad were probably the least racist Republican presidents ever. I'm sure the Bushes dropped the n-bomb, but they weren't campaigning on welfare queens or immigrant rapists.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
It's a long time ago, but I kinda feel like they probably were

Or did the whole 9/11 and iraq war thing provide them sufficient distraction for looting the government coffers I guess

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I think I main that guy in Apex Legends.

I think I modded this guy into Skyrim too. Including part where he calls you slurs.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Vampire Panties posted:

Dubya and his dad were probably the least racist Republican presidents ever. I'm sure the Bushes dropped the n-bomb, but they weren't campaigning on welfare queens or immigrant rapists.

I seem to recall Kanye West disagreeing with this statement.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Bush Sr defined political dog whistles

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/1/18121221/george-hw-bush-willie-horton-dog-whistle-politics

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eisenhower desegregated the Little Rock school district by force, and I think he was generally held to be pretty decent. So there you go, last OK Republican president.

Nowadays of course he'd be DOA.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Seriously, I don't understand how it shook out that way. The only real answer is there's a lot more heartless assholes who thought it was great and it so deeply overstripped everyone lost by Trump's actions and COVID deaths. And that's a whole bunch of negative emotions, but perhaps the largest one is sadness.
He got 12 million more and still lost, lmao.

My best guess is that the tendor of the times was playing in his favor there. Things may seem less apocalyptic now. And he's down to middle school auditoriums.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Waffle House posted:

No more than the OK sign is racist

:unsmith:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Pretty sure Jr. was pretty pro immigration though. Mostly because he listened to a lot of business interests that liked the cheap labor, but still win where you can get them I guess. :shrug:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nessus posted:

Eisenhower desegregated the Little Rock school district by force, and I think he was generally held to be pretty decent. So there you go, last OK Republican president.

My best guess is that the tendor of the times was playing in his favor there. Things may seem less apocalyptic now. And he's down to middle school auditoriums.

As much as I despise bothsidesisms, Eisenhower for better or worse probably couldn't become the nominee of either the modern Republican no Democratic party today. Maybe the Dems, barely, they're craven enough to flock to a passable Republican like Ike, but even then I dunno.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

is someone itt talking bout my faves and saying things most people don’t know i sure hope not ):<

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nessus posted:

Yeah, he would of been right before republicans and democrats flipped on civil rights, right?

Nessus posted:

Also passage of time -and covid- has probably taken a non-negligible amount of trump voters in the last four years as well, and there certainly not getting replaced by youth voters in large numbers.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Weekend update: Since we had covid (1st timer's club at the end of 2023!) over Christmas, we hosted a Christmas party at our house this weekend. My brother attended and while he's been chuddy since around 2000* I was talking to my brother in law and was mentioning the 2 videos (Zelda stamina wheel fall and the Animaniacs one) and my brother was a huge animaniacs fan before the WOKE relaunch of the show. So he starts in with loudly going, "I don't want to hear it, I don't want to see it!" and kept on reaffirming that stance which tells us everything we need to know, that despite his claims of not supporting Pmurt, he 100% supports Pmurt.

He was low key but still a prick the whole time he was at my house too and my wife got really mad / frustrated at him. The second he was out the door she started talking mad poo poo about him, but that goes back to pretty much the first time they ever met (18 years ago) when he insisted organic milk is less good for you because of the bacteria, and she had to correct him that organic milk does not mean unpasteurized. He can't stand being wrong.

*When he was in his early 20s he got kicked out of my dad's house for being a layabout after quitting his job. He went and crashed on his highly conservative friend's couch for a year and a half and instead of standing up for what he believed at the time (he was a big Michael Moore fan / hated the Bush 1 administration, etc) he bowed and just started parroting their beliefs and became the chud he is today.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

otter posted:

Weekend update: Since we had covid (1st timer's club at the end of 2023!) over Christmas, we hosted a Christmas party at our house this weekend. My brother attended and while he's been chuddy since around 2000* I was talking to my brother in law and was mentioning the 2 videos (Zelda stamina wheel fall and the Animaniacs one) and my brother was a huge animaniacs fan before the WOKE relaunch of the show. So he starts in with loudly going, "I don't want to hear it, I don't want to see it!" and kept on reaffirming that stance which tells us everything we need to know, that despite his claims of not supporting Pmurt, he 100% supports Pmurt.

He was low key but still a prick the whole time he was at my house too and my wife got really mad / frustrated at him. The second he was out the door she started talking mad poo poo about him, but that goes back to pretty much the first time they ever met (18 years ago) when he insisted organic milk is less good for you because of the bacteria, and she had to correct him that organic milk does not mean unpasteurized. He can't stand being wrong.

*When he was in his early 20s he got kicked out of my dad's house for being a layabout after quitting his job. He went and crashed on his highly conservative friend's couch for a year and a half and instead of standing up for what he believed at the time (he was a big Michael Moore fan / hated the Bush 1 administration, etc) he bowed and just started parroting their beliefs and became the chud he is today.

I find anyone who gets mad at a remake of a thing from their childhood for any sort of deep seated reason to be absolutely hilarious. Good on you for not spending your entire holiday just laughing in your brother's face non-stop for being an unserious joke of a person.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Totally innocent but need immunity from trying to stop RIGGED AND STOLLEN ELECTION!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Escape From Noise posted:

Totally innocent but need immunity from trying to stop RIGGED AND STOLLEN ELECTION!

you can tell he wants to be a mobster so bad because he's so utterly obsessed with the concept of immunity deals

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

you can tell he wants to be a mobster so bad because he's so utterly obsessed with the concept of immunity deals

Re reading this I love the detail that it's not just a Pandora's box but a giant one.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*increasingly worried voice* well at least give me immunity on SOME of my crimes?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

otter posted:

Sounds like your dad should have loved your brother more