Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Downside is, games tend to succeed more based on name recognition regardless of their own merits, even moreso than usual, and we can usually expect publishers to learn all the worst possible lessons from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Downside is, games tend to succeed more based on name recognition regardless of their own merits, even moreso than usual, and we can usually expect publishers to learn all the worst possible lessons from it.

:capitalism:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I've found this stance kind of bizarre but at the same time it kind of explains why so many indie games that might have merit end up floundering. Less so in this thread, but in the industry thread it's always very humorous to see people get so worked up about a gaming company or product having a coherent and successful marketing strategy. At that end of the day these games are products and you actually need to try and sell them if you want people to play them. And yes, love it or hate, the 5e version of WoD is far more popular than any version of the lines were when I was playing this stuff in the early 2000's. It's on gaming shelves, it's appearing on the covers of the trade magazines that no one ever buys but our FLGS owner keeps putting at the register, and the local gaming club regularly has VtM and WtF 5e games on the schedule with the label: "sorry full table".

Soonmot posted:

Which was not a thing when Chronicles was released. Same with d&d 5e vs 4e.

There are absolutely contemporary Actual Plays of nWoD 2e game lines, there are several on the OP Twitch/YouTube channels as well as a number that pop up if you search the game names on YouTube. The problem is that they are all (with the exception of a single HtV 2e stream that was carried by two of the players) complete trash that garner barely any viewers because they tend to have dubious audio, grainy video, and barely anything to keep your attention on the story. There are plenty of channels that run non-D&D Actual Plays successfully (Dorktales and DevilsLuckGaming to just name two on my Twitch list), it's just that Onyx Path has never given a poo poo about advertising this stuff beyond the 50 people that sit on their Discord channel, so the products might as well not exist.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Honestly WOD could do with a parthfinder equivalent. If nothing else than give us player some options.

Someone tried that with Vampire: Undeath, remember?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

If I could get into a JF Sambrano-run Werewolf game, I feel like I could finally let W:tA die in my mind at its conclusion. It needs to get out of my brain.

e: the Ratkin will live long in my heart, though.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 5, 2024

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm so glad I never gave any shits about Apocalypse and always thought it was terrible. Read the new version, it's marginally better, I guess, but it's still a game I have zero interest in playing.

Lupines in my WoD will forever be their own thing that bears more resemblance to the second season of the Legend of Korra than anything White Wolf ever produced.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mushika posted:

If I could get into a JF Sambrano-run Werewolf game, I feel like I could finally let W:tA die in my mind at its conclusion. It needs to get out of my brain.

The funny thing is reading Sambrano's takes there's not much to change as one might think when it comes down to it but naturally it still got up Karim Muammar's right nostril for whatever reason. It honestly would have lost them very little overall and been even more relevant than the actual edition's "rage against corporations responsible for climate change but not too hard."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mushika posted:

That's how you get Beshilu. Do you want Beshilu?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

The funny thing is reading Sambrano's takes there's not much to change as one might think when it comes down to it but naturally it still got up Karim Muammar's right nostril for whatever reason. It honestly would have lost them very little overall and been even more relevant than the actual edition's "rage against corporations responsible for climate change but not too hard."
Yeah, as much as people joke about it, the premise of "you are a wolf-man Planeteer but your ring is Rage and you and your pack summon Captain Planet by wolfing out and waxing a ton of dudes" is a pretty easy sell.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Kurieg posted:

That's how you get Beshilu. Do you want Beshilu?

If it means rats? Yes.

e: Oh dang, Krieg, how ya been?

Mushika fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 5, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Rat Hosts eat you from inside and puppet your corpse.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Ratatouille taken to its inevitable conclusion.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Nessus posted:

Yeah, as much as people joke about it, the premise of "you are a wolf-man Planeteer but your ring is Rage and you and your pack summon Captain Planet by wolfing out and waxing a ton of dudes" is a pretty easy sell.

Yeah it actually pretty popular, enough that a group on tumblr is essentially called werewolf the essentials is going make they own edition based on w20.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mushika posted:

If it means rats? Yes.

Yes they eat your heart and then fill your body with more rats until it either explodes or turns into a rotting shambling rat-man.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I love forsaken, but beshilu are not ratkin.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Yes they eat your heart and then fill your body with more rats until it either explodes or turns into a rotting shambling rat-man.

Sounds like a party to me.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kurieg posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just a northern boys verse

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Honestly, though, Forsaken is a game that I always regretted not getting into. I just have had little time or opportunity in almost as many years as I can count on my hands to get involved in a TTRPG, and Forsaken really seems like a game I could sink some serious time and mental energy into. I have all of the materials I would need, I think. Second edition core and a variety of sourcebooks, as any time I see something for Forsaken on sale at DriveThruRPG I snap it up. Maybe one day the stars will align.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
it's really fun, I had a two or three year game that I brought to a satisifying conclusion

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Forsaken did a real good job tinkering with werewolves. I love so many of the mechanical changes like your senses and regeneration always being on regardless of form, having an instinctual dodge against firearms, and the way 2nd edition makes Harmony a desire to find the center of spirit and flesh.

Lorewise, it's such a radical departure from W:tA that I would have trouble comparing the two, but W:tF really won me over with its Pangean cosmology.

I really wish they were still releasing books for it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
werewolf is one of the things, like vampire and demon, where i totally get not preferring one setting over the other, since they have such different approaches and ideas. vampire is even the same night-to-night game but the nature of the world is just so different.

changeling or mage though, lol. and i don't know if i can count wraith and geist as effectively editions of 'the same game' either

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mushika posted:

This poster gets it.

I think that actually ties back to the whole "what the _oD brought that other urban fantasy games don't was buckets of lore and conflicting desires between character types." WtA could be a game of trying to heal the world around you as best you can on one end while on the other you have absolute batshit rat people freaking out and fighting a massive bane in a not-McDonald's parking lot.

I think that was the most frustrating part of W5 to me. It doesn't feel gonzo enough and actively discourages a scenario where Banana Split and Mother Larissa get into an argument with a visiting Scratches At Fleas about whether cricket or baseball is better around the Mouldy Grail.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

citybeatnik posted:

I think that was the most frustrating part of W5 to me. It doesn't feel gonzo enough and actively discourages a scenario where Banana Split and Mother Larissa get into an argument with a visiting Scratches At Fleas about whether cricket or baseball is better around the Mouldy Grail.

Yeah, they cut out a lot of stuff - some of it bad, which is fine - but didn't have anything much to replace it with.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Forsaken did a real good job tinkering with werewolves. I love so many of the mechanical changes like your senses and regeneration always being on regardless of form, having an instinctual dodge against firearms, and the way 2nd edition makes Harmony a desire to find the center of spirit and flesh.

Lorewise, it's such a radical departure from W:tA that I would have trouble comparing the two, but W:tF really won me over with its Pangean cosmology.

I really wish they were still releasing books for it.

Almost every Forsaken book is a banger too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Almost every Forsaken book is a banger too.

I only wish it had gotten tribe books along the lines of Requiem's Clanbooks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Blood of the Wolf is a really good book so long as you just ignore everything it says about ghost children and pregnancy.

And as funny as a pack needing to provoke their packmate into frenzy to keep them from dying after eating chocolate that part can probably also be excised.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Blood of the Wolf is a really good book so long as you just ignore everything it says about ghost children and pregnancy.

I always did wonder why it was a Thing they didn't want werewolves to bone unless they decided it was a forbidden love angle.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

A holdover from W:tA, maybe? Or with a similar rationale of forcing werewolves to actually go among humanity and not just retreat into isolation.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

disposablewords posted:

A holdover from W:tA, maybe? Or with a similar rationale of forcing werewolves to actually go among humanity and not just retreat into isolation.

I suspect the latter. Bring a barely controlled killing machine but having to be around frail normal humans all the time is a big part of the concept.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The thing is that you can *do* that. just make it Not Work. don't make it a cultural taboo.

Making it kinky is why people did it. Making it even *more* taboo just made it look like someone at White Wolf had an issue with women.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
a lot of early 1e nwod feels like it's written to spite owod

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Olympus posted:

The thing that really gives it away is all the blackjack and hookers.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kurieg posted:

The thing is that you can *do* that. just make it Not Work. don't make it a cultural taboo.

It's just such an obvious solution, and means that Werewolves will always be between two worlds, and can't just go full "kill all humans"

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I've never really felt the need to play W:tA, but just browsing through the White Wolf wiki, Forsaken has so much cool stuff in it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Olympus posted:

I definitely got this vibe from Requiem when I read it and it kind of turned me off the whole line even if I thought Blood Potency was a better mechanic than Generation by a country mile.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Forsaken was a great line, and not just to play directly; its spirit world and cosmology are just really narratively rich, and can serve a Vampire or Mage (taking these as "no loving clue" and "it's mage" extremes on a sliding scale of being able to perceive and interact with ephemeral things) game equally well as playground or bestiary or whatever. Predators is just all-around useful for everybody.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Skios posted:

I've never really felt the need to play W:tA, but just browsing through the White Wolf wiki, Forsaken has so much cool stuff in it.

Forsaken doesn't let my PC use a Gift learned from Elvis to squaredance the Wyrm's minions to death.

To be fair that's just about the only issue I have with WtF.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

citybeatnik posted:

Forsaken doesn't let my PC use a Gift learned from Elvis to squaredance the Wyrm's minions to death.

To be fair that's just about the only issue I have with WtF.

Do you have to leave offerings of peanut butter, jelly, and bacon sandwiches out for Elvis to gain his boons?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ferrinus posted:

Forsaken was a great line, and not just to play directly; its spirit world and cosmology are just really narratively rich, and can serve a Vampire or Mage (taking these as "no loving clue" and "it's mage" extremes on a sliding scale of being able to perceive and interact with ephemeral things) game equally well as playground or bestiary or whatever. Predators is just all-around useful for everybody.

I think The Sundered World is a really good example of thus imo. It did a fantastic job integrating Mage into Werewolf's ancient world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Night10194 posted:

Do you have to leave offerings of peanut butter, jelly, and bacon sandwiches out for Elvis to gain his boons?

Fried peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwiches, thank you.

(On a skillet, mind, but still.)