Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The Glumslinger posted:

My (44F) son (16M) wants to date a girl who comes from a middle-class background and I don't want that. What should I do?

quote:

I told my son I don't want him to see her
:lol: This is the last thing you should do if you want your teenager to stop dating someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Brawnfire posted:

I've spent pages now thinking it should be loving Bracken, not Brecken

"Garfield" star Breckin Meyer is rolling in his grave.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Tangled

Edit: both her parents are alive

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

My (44F) son (16M) wants to date a girl who comes from a middle-class background and I don't want that. What should I do?

Rich people volunteering at a church they dont own? Fake

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Space Kablooey posted:

It's tough because i don't remember a Disney story where both parents are alive, though there might be a close enough stand in

toy story

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kitfox88 posted:

toy story

Andy's dad is pretty conspicuously absent, hence Woody being the stand-in and particularly protective of him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for refusing the pay for dental fees after a kid broke his teeth on a macadamia nut

quote:

My friend 39f June brought her 8yo son Steven over to my house today. June and I were just chatting over a cup of tea when there was a scream from the kitchen and we rushed to find that Steven had tried to eat a whole macadamia nut with shell. For context the nut is a white nut surrounded by the hardest and most smooth chocolate looking shell you've ever seen. He'd obviously thought it was chocolate and tried to eaten it from a closed Tupperware Container on the kitchen island (Was going to cracking them with a hammer later). My friend first admonished Steven for eating something obviously not meant for him and took him to emergency dental where she later learned he has cracked one of his molars and it was apparently quite bad. Apparently as its still his first set of teeth they will just be pulling it out but she wants me to pay for at least half as it was my macadamia and it was on the kitchen island and accessible. aita

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Andy's dad is pretty conspicuously absent, hence Woody being the stand-in and particularly protective of him.

that's due to the divorce not him being dead

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The Glumslinger posted:

What should you do?

Get your rear end kicked, for starters.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for refusing the pay for dental fees after a kid broke his teeth on a macadamia nut

childproof your house for me

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nuts to that!

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

The Glumslinger posted:

If this is bait it’s good bait, because I want to punch the OP in the nuts

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Space Kablooey posted:

It's tough because i don't remember a Disney story where both parents are alive, though there might be a close enough stand in

101 Dalmatians has both the human owners alive, and the parents of the 99 puppies. Double live parents!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Obnoxipus posted:

101 Dalmatians has both the human owners alive, and the parents of the 99 puppies. Double live parents!

Technically Pongo and Perdita only had one litter of puppies, they just end up adopting the rest.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Obnoxipus posted:

tragically, Cruella's mother was killed by dalmatians in the prequel, making her the canonical Disney protagonist of 101 Dalmatians

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't pull out the loving tooth unless the next one is already growing back or the next one won't grow in, are you actually going to tell me dentists still haven't learned that since when I was a child?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Midnight Voyager posted:

Times "You're going to regret this in the future" is the reason I decided to do/not to do anything as a kid:

This for me, but also read as a teenager and early adult and thus requiring severe therapy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Nuts to that!

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Cloacamazing! posted:

Don't pull out the loving tooth unless the next one is already growing back or the next one won't grow in, are you actually going to tell me dentists still haven't learned that since when I was a child?

I cracked a molar on a candy necklace in like 88 and they put in a space maintainer, which is basically a chrome colored crown on on adjacent tooth with a couple of rods bridging the gap to the other adjacent tooth. I had it until the replacement molar grew in. This has been an established treatment for cracked junior molar for at least 30 years, probably way longer. What did they do to you?

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

I thought the permanent tooth would grow in, but it may come in all wonky without the hole from the baby tooth to guide it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like if the tooth has been badly damaged and is right now causing great pain, the dentist doesn't really have a choice

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Spacers have been a thing forever. They usually use them for molars since there's less space bath there and more chance of teeth squishing together.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Children have horrible skulls full of extra teeth

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Silly Newbie posted:

I cracked a molar on a candy necklace in like 88 and they put in a space maintainer, which is basically a chrome colored crown on on adjacent tooth with a couple of rods bridging the gap to the other adjacent tooth. I had it until the replacement molar grew in. This has been an established treatment for cracked junior molar for at least 30 years, probably way longer. What did they do to you?

Really? My dentist pulled a healthy front tooth so the others would have more room to grow, then when the new tooth didn't grow in he looked confused and started talking about how we should keep that gap open until I turned eighteen and then put an artificial tooth in or maybe file down my canines, at which point I left the office because I may have been ten, but even I could tell this was a stupid idea. Years later, when I told a dentist that the tooth had been pulled and never regrew, they told me yeah of course, it couldn't since the first one was pulled out too early.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

My youngest, stunned at the realization that the tooth fairy gave him an entire loving dollar for each tooth proceeded, over the course of a few months, to pull out all his baby teeth. I realized somewhere in the second month that he'd been losing a lot of teeth, and that they were usually pretty bloody. I told him if he yanked another he wouldn't get anything for them; they had to fall out naturally or no pay. I think he snuck a few more in after that, but I can't tell because I'm sure his whole mouth was a goddamn mess after that and they probably were just falling out by that point.

That was a year ago, and they've all either grown in or are currently breaking through the gums, so ymmv, I guess. Funny thing is that they've come in much closer and straighter than his baby teeth were, so :shrug:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Cloacamazing! posted:

Really? My dentist pulled a healthy front tooth so the others would have more room to grow, then when the new tooth didn't grow in he looked confused and started talking about how we should keep that gap open until I turned eighteen and then put an artificial tooth in or maybe file down my canines, at which point I left the office because I may have been ten, but even I could tell this was a stupid idea. Years later, when I told a dentist that the tooth had been pulled and never regrew, they told me yeah of course, it couldn't since the first one was pulled out too early.

Mine was specifically a molar, which has slightly different rules. Assuming what they pulled was a baby tooth, your original dentist was theoretically right, until the new tooth didn't grow part. Pulling a tooth to reduce crowding on the jaw is a legit technique. That said, x-rays should show whether or not you have teeth waiting, it's not like they bud from the gumline. Check out the Wikipedia article on baby teeth. I'm not a dentist, but I don't think the development of adult teeth depends on baby teeth being there, contrary to your second dentist.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I had to pull eight teeth when I was like 8 because I apparently had too many teeth? The dentist did them all in one sitting and the painkiller mostly didn't work because most of those teeth had fused to my jaw, which the dentist would have known had he not chosen to skip the xray. He also kept injecting my gums with painkillers even though it had no effect, until the dental assistant was like 'you cant inject any more. It will do permanent damage" at which point he started drilling the remaining teeth apart and pulling shards of teeth out of my brutalized mouth. I haven't been to a dentist in 20 years lmao

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Biplane posted:

I had to pull eight teeth when I was like 8 because I apparently had too many teeth? The dentist did them all in one sitting and the painkiller mostly didn't work because most of those teeth had fused to my jaw, which the dentist would have known had he not chosen to skip the xray. He also kept injecting my gums with painkillers even though it had no effect, until the dental assistant was like 'you cant inject any more. It will do permanent damage" at which point he started drilling the remaining teeth apart and pulling shards of teeth out of my brutalized mouth. I haven't been to a dentist in 20 years lmao

He look like this?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I had a couple of baby teeth that never developed adult teeth behind them and so didn’t fall out on their own. I had to have them extracted when I was 12. I have a small jaw and my teeth were massively overcrowded anyway, so it helped make room for my braces to move them all straightish.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Biplane posted:

That sounds a lot like what I remember of having my baby teeth extracted. They had me on some sort of sedation injection, and one was supposed to make me fairly sleepy, but they ended up giving me four doses, and the little pulse sensor they had on the end of my finger did something that made everyone look worried, and I remember all the cracks of the teeth separating from my skull.
Then my orthodontist was basically that guy from little shop of horrors, but disguised as a bland doughy suburban boomer. That fucker used to grin when he tightened the wires and heard the crunch that made my whole head reverberate with pain.
I haven’t been to the dentist very much as an adult either, until recently because predictably, my teeth aren’t good.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Does the US have an aversion to general anaesthetic? I’ve had eight teeth removed and seven of them were under general anaesthetic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Space Kablooey posted:

The Parent Trap.

There's a movie fit for AITA. Two parents with newborn twin girls divorce and each takes a baby which are raised separately and never told they each have a sister.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Plucky Brit posted:

Does the US have an aversion to general anaesthetic? I’ve had eight teeth removed and seven of them were under general anaesthetic.

We have fuckwad doctors who have an aversion to giving painkillers

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Plucky Brit posted:

The dentist I see now prescribes valium and it is a loving life changer.

Some dentists are just loving monsters.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

At least get hosed up on nitrous oxide. I had a crown replacement get complicated and take three hours last year. I thought it took a little over an hour. Because I was hosed up on nitrous oxide. Which you should be for anything worse than a cleaning, and , apparently, for some of you a catch-up cleaning.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Shithouse Dave posted:

I had a couple of baby teeth that never developed adult teeth behind them and so didn’t fall out on their own. I had to have them extracted when I was 12. I have a small jaw and my teeth were massively overcrowded anyway, so it helped make room for my braces to move them all straightish.

I'm 39 and still have a baby molar, since no adult tooth developed underneath it. It's never even gotten loose!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I had the fun experience of having crowded teeth and never being taken to the dentist as a kid. My upper incisors stick out like fangs. I was super self-conscious about them as a kid but as an adult, I actually like my vampire fangs. None of my wisdom teeth erupted normally but nothing was ever done about that either.

I also for whatever reason don't feel pain in my teeth if they have major problems, and it would go unnoticed when I couldn't afford to go to the dentist (it's not covered by provincial health care), then suddenly while eating there'd be a huge crunch and lo and behold, half a tooth just fell the gently caress off.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I had a wisdom tooth removed recently under local. It was unpleasant in general sense but I didn't feel a thing.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My (32f) fiance (33M) of 8 years refuses to have a wedding

quote:

My (32f) fiance (33M) does not want a wedding of any kind. No elopement, no ceremony, no rings exchange, no vows, nothing. I've always wanted a traditional medium sized wedding but I've compromised to doing an elopement with just my parents present. He refused. So I compromised again and said let's just do the paperwork like he wants then go to dinner with the four of us and celebrate. He refused. Then I said okay let's just do the paperwork and dinner with the two of us and then get some pictures of the two of us and maybe do a party or something with family a few months from now. He refused. I just want to make it special, it's important to me and I've expressed that to him and he will not compromise on anything. We've been together for 8 years so it's not as if we don't know each other well. I am really starting to rethink getting married and even staying in this relationship, but he says I'm "being bratty". Am I putting too much importance on this? Anyone else just do paperwork and call it a day and not regret it?

Edit to add: He just wants to do paperwork and make it legal. He doesn't want a ceremony or fanfare of any kind. He doesn't have family he wants to invite and I'm very close to my family and want to have them at something. He also wants to focus on saving money and not spending it on a wedding.

Also, thank you for all of the time everyone has taken to leave thoughtful replies to this post. It's really helping me reflect on the situation and I appreciate the responses.

Update: My (32f) fiance (33M) of 8 years refuses to have a wedding

quote:

After reading through the comments and reflecting I had another conversation with him. He agreed to have dinner with the two of us and take a couple photos but only if he could buy himself a new computer. That was much more insulting to me than anything before, especially because he claimed his reason for not agreeing to anything is mostly because of money.

I think most of the comments were correct in that he never really wanted to get married. I called everything off, canceled our appointment to do paperwork and returned the ring we bought. I'll have to deal with telling my coworkers but I guess I'll google how to tell people without going into too much detail.

I am leaving him. I have ignored a lot of stuff with him because we are financially stable together, comfortable and he was my first and only relationship, so I think I just wanted to make it work and didn't really know what was normal and what I've learned to tolerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

Smells like bait

I smelt a rat the moment they bungled their class bs. There’s no way this kind of twat would describe a truck drivers daughter as middle class and they would almost certainly refer to themselves as upper middle.