Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
I just want the biggest and flashiest idle/incremental games like Gnorp. Too many of them are just text on blank backgrounds with a number ticking up, instead of offering something visual to please the eye.

Someone please my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm never going to remember to do this in the morning before work, so I'm starting a gather event now in Ironguard RPG, for those of you in the guild.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

buglord posted:

any good Steam-based idler's you all recommend?

[...]

I really liked realm grinder because there were "builds" that allowed you to favor active gameplay vs passive gameplay and other little wrinkles.

Unmentioned as yet:
Idle Wizard is the most Realm Grinder influenced game I've seen, including the part where builds determine active or passive play and has many years of constant updates/polishing.
Stone Story RPG has lovely art and is a lot of fun, although the long term progression is a bit repetitive and I think they'd do a lot better at a lower price point. Watch the trailers and see if the art does anything for you, the gameplay is just decent if you aren't into the style.

AMReese posted:

I just want the biggest and flashiest idle/incremental games like Gnorp. Too many of them are just text on blank backgrounds with a number ticking up, instead of offering something visual to please the eye.

Someone please my eye.

Maybe see if you like Stone Story's art style.
Incremental Epic Hero 2 ends up pretty flashy later in the game when you're killing dozens of enemy sprites a second, but the art style is very much low budget Dragon Quest.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

cyrn posted:

Idle Wizard is the most Realm Grinder influenced game I've seen, including the part where builds determine active or passive play and has many years of constant updates/polishing.

I remember Idle Wizard has absolutelly great Idle game.

Mostly trying to figure out the different class and builds to unlock everything.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/992070/Idle_Wizard/

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
As a little heads up, per a Discord announcement Farmer Against Potatoes Idle will be dropping a big content update today or tomorrow. A lot of it will apparently be for mid to late game players (Ascension 12 and up), but it does include a new system, some more upgrades and the start of World 8.

The Farming update felt nice, and I'm getting it to a point where it interacts more with the main game. The whole game feels more...cohesive, I suppose is the word?...than Wizard and Minion Idle to be honest.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The game feels like a massive step up from WAMI, which had long dead-zones where no feature was really shining and the next feature was still a long ways away, as well as having features feel like they weren't contributing much. Very weird pacing.

481 days in FAPI (Asc 15) and I'm still feeling it. Farming was a huge success and was very well paced until the last quarter or so of French Fries unique updates, where it finally slowed. Release till then felt like one of the best paced features I've ever seen in an Idle game that's trying to drip content out.

As much as I enjoy Gobo I think it could learn a lot from FAPI. It legit feels to me like Gobo dev started out from the position of "my game will have content for years" and instead of slowly building content out with that goal while keeping it well paced he just shrugged and took what he had and stretched it out to a tedious degree. I don't think it's a good idea to start with length as a goal and core design, it should emerge organically from the content just being good and plentiful enough to carry the game that long.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been thinking about giving FAPI another try, I played it for a bit when it came out but fell off after not too long, sounds like a lot has been added since then. Does cross-save work between the mobile/steam versions?

Edit: Also it looks like this huge update hit today; "Outpost, Town & More"

Edit 2: Oh god what am I doing what is all this

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 8, 2024

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Unless there is objection, starting a crafting event tonight in Ironwood RPG.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 9, 2024

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

explosivo posted:

I've been thinking about giving FAPI another try, I played it for a bit when it came out but fell off after not too long, sounds like a lot has been added since then. Does cross-save work between the mobile/steam versions?

Yes, I move back and forth between iOS and Steam without any issues whatsoever.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Also anyone who was waiting for it to 1.0, Factory Town Idle came out of EA today

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

Unless there is objection, starting a crafting event tonight in Ironwood.

Crafting event on in Ironwood RPG.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gave that Infinitea tea-farming idler from last year another look

https://oli.show/tea/

think there was an update a few months following its appearance in this thread, but nothing over the past few months. still a fun few minutes though. once you get the Smart upgrade for farmers it takes off

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

think there was an update a few months following its appearance in this thread, but nothing over the past few months. still a fun few minutes though. once you get the Smart upgrade for farmers it takes off
this game's pretty sick, I expected the greenhouse to be game over and really cracked up at what actually happened

edit: omg the actual end is even funnier

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 9, 2024

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I don't know how I slept on Your Chronicle for so long; I'm approaching the end of the second reincarnation and it's really got it's hooks in me. Setting up loops and stuff is a really fun puzzle. Seems like there's a shitload of content too?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

goferchan posted:

I don't know how I slept on Your Chronicle for so long; I'm approaching the end of the second reincarnation and it's really got it's hooks in me. Setting up loops and stuff is a really fun puzzle. Seems like there's a shitload of content too?

Yeah, it has some good ideas in it. I got tired of the constant party and resource juggling eventually. The story was really pretty fun. And if you enjoy the way you need to grind the game resources then it's a good fit.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The party juggling is the absolute worst so if you want me to edit your dll to allow infinite passive pets just DM me and I'll send it over since I haven't done it for this version yet.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

goferchan posted:

It's also on mobile except you can't really idle as well as leaving your computer on, and Garfu can't hack your dlls

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, I stopped bothering with it because Garfu was having to regularly write us a new .dll every few weeks to make the game playable. The party management part does nothing to make the game more interesting at all when it comes to resources. Even when it comes to the combat portion it’s not even that interesting as it’s like equipping the gear with the highest stats and that’s about all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I sunk a ton of hours in Idle Slayer but it's absolutely not an idle game.
The passive income is nothing compared to actively playing. You can't even complete daily quests offline, with how bad the rate is, even with upgrades.

Dunno if I'll stick with it. It's good while watching a movie but little else.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
How are the Melvor expansions? Getting back to it for the first time in a couple years and the township is definitely very neat but wondering if its worth it for the expansions

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I found Idle Slayer particularly infuriating because of how often features are either worthless or actively detrimental when you get them. It's like, oh look you unlocked portals to other realms! If you travel to another one you'll find you don't have the boss for that realm yet (need to unlock it) so your soul income just went down, and changing realms again takes 8 hours. Or the bow, which when unlocked can't be used while sprinting, and you want to be sprinting constantly for the bonus to gold + souls. Or minions, where they actively lose you Slayer Points at first and you have to eat that loss for long enough for them to be profitable.

I don't even think it's like a terrible game, it just feels actively engineered to be as frustrating as possible.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Yarrington posted:

How are the Melvor expansions? Getting back to it for the first time in a couple years and the township is definitely very neat but wondering if its worth it for the expansions

Oh yeah, if you got a stock of stuff then the Throne expansion will give you a fun loop getting skills from 100-120. The township tasks will send you back to old content or reward hoarder mentality. I'm finally poking at The Atlas expansion this week and that's always been there as a constellation of 2-3 skills you can take from 0-120 and get fabulous prizes along the way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Arzaac posted:

I found Idle Slayer particularly infuriating because of how often features are either worthless or actively detrimental when you get them. It's like, oh look you unlocked portals to other realms! If you travel to another one you'll find you don't have the boss for that realm yet (need to unlock it) so your soul income just went down, and changing realms again takes 8 hours. Or the bow, which when unlocked can't be used while sprinting, and you want to be sprinting constantly for the bonus to gold + souls. Or minions, where they actively lose you Slayer Points at first and you have to eat that loss for long enough for them to be profitable.

I don't even think it's like a terrible game, it just feels actively engineered to be as frustrating as possible.

Agreed on all points. Thankfully the golem nets you 2.4k pretty quickly.

I haven't reached Divine ascension yet so maybe they get way better later. It's like it was designed to be an idle/offline game but then pivoted hard at the last second.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Yarrington posted:

I'm enjoying it. It opened things up a bit more from when I stopped playing in the beta version. I had an account with the full version because of that and enjoyed poking at the township stuff enough that I grabbed the expansions. Worth the :10bux: Dungeons are still a balance of trying to find the right build/gear, but there are more options for supplementing it nicely.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Agreed on all points. Thankfully the golem nets you 2.4k pretty quickly.

I haven't reached Divine ascension yet so maybe they get way better later. It's like it was designed to be an idle/offline game but then pivoted hard at the last second.

I've been playing it about a month and have ultra ascended twice. It's still pretty active but you can start paying less attention to it after the first ultra ascend just because of how much the game gives you to catch back up to where you were. My first run was about 2-3 weeks on and off, and I caught back up to where I was pre-ultra ascend in 2 afternoons.

Honestly, it's the idle parts like minions that will slow progress down the most because the only other way I've gotten to earn divinity points (from minion prestiges) so far has been the dailies and it's random chance that the dragon eggs have them. There's so much quality of life in those upgrades that's just locked behind large amounts of divinity points.

Also of note is that I definitely would have dropped Idle Slayer faster if the Steam version didn't cut out all the ad mechanics.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

This was really neat.

I was "playing" it at work so I don't know if I did the second half wrong or what, but the meditation seemed like a complete waste of time? And I never used a leader once... but I was basically just letting it sit there while I did work things and occasionally clicked a monk to fill a bonus bar, so I ended up with over a thousand of the monk currency stuff and didn't see a point in doing the more fiddly meditation thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tagra posted:

This was really neat.

I was "playing" it at work so I don't know if I did the second half wrong or what, but the meditation seemed like a complete waste of time? And I never used a leader once... but I was basically just letting it sit there while I did work things and occasionally clicked a monk to fill a bonus bar, so I ended up with over a thousand of the monk currency stuff and didn't see a point in doing the more fiddly meditation thing.
had the same results, was way over on meditation currency so I never needed to actually meditate. did use a leader exactly once when one of my two bonus bars was all the way down to half-ish. didn't seem worth the human being.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I started playing incremental games on my phone again because I picked up Magical Research on a whim and fell in love with it. I really appreciate an idle game where it has a spell to make the whole game run twice as fast, it speaks to the Dev's willingness to give you cool poo poo rather than saying "you must play for X hours, put your phone down for two days to advance"

I also like the new runescape game, although I'm not entirely clear what I'm building up to. I suppose it's all combat stuff but it's easy enough to just let the game run idle to get a lot of cash, so it's less active than something like Magical Research. As someone who used to play runescape it's fun nostalgia but also part of the large focus on crafting in the game was the market, where here it is just skilling for cash. Still, it's fun for what it is. I just wish I didn't have to go through seven loading screens when launching it on mobile.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a more efficient way to push reincarnation levels in FAPI or is it just keep reincarnating and pushing? I finally unlocked Ascensions but still need like 700 Reincarnation levels to do it. I am having a great time with this now compared to last time I checked it out close to launch.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

explosivo posted:

Is there a more efficient way to push reincarnation levels in FAPI or is it just keep reincarnating and pushing? I finally unlocked Ascensions but still need like 700 Reincarnation levels to do it. I am having a great time with this now compared to last time I checked it out close to launch.

make sure you have a reincarnation pet team and reinc xp on your gear when you press the button

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Saraiguma posted:

make sure you have a reincarnation pet team and reinc xp on your gear when you press the button

Thanks, I don't think I have any reinc pet teams yet, but I haven't really been paying attention to gear stats at all beyond "is green y/n" so i'll have to check those out. I'm basically just grabbing all the reinc XP nodes that I can get to on the talent tree and pushing as long as I can.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Generally speaking what you want to pay attention to is reincarnation exp, item rating, and residue. Basically all for the same reason: raising your reincarnation exp. It's what you need to be pushing at practically all times.

Also for that matter, you're best off idling in freeloader, because getting more upgrade mats for your items is way more important than anything the other classes do.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arzaac posted:

Generally speaking what you want to pay attention to is reincarnation exp, item rating, and residue. Basically all for the same reason: raising your reincarnation exp. It's what you need to be pushing at practically all times.

Also for that matter, you're best off idling in freeloader, because getting more upgrade mats for your items is way more important than anything the other classes do.

Thanks! The other stuff like rating/residue is good to know. I did see some other people say freeloader is generally what you want to be running like 95% of the time due to the upgrade mats thing.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

explosivo posted:

As other people have said:
1a) Make sure the gear you are farming has Reinc Exp as a stat on it
1b) Boost your Item Rank stat to get more Reinc Exp stats on gear
2) Boost Reinc Exp through the Residue Shop Page 2
3) Equip Reinc Exp Pets (Primfeet from 3-6, Tango from 4-5, Fujin from Expedition 1 are some early pets who have this stat, honestly don’t remember if they are available to you before the first Ascension)
4) Boost your Class level and Confection levels as much as possible, as they serve as the base value and multiplier for your Reincarnation Exp
5) Complete as many waves as possible (Again, don’t remember if you have access to Medium or Hard difficulty in Ascension 0, but at the very least get to 100 waves in every Easy zone you have access to)
6) Wait. Time bonus increases exponentially up to 6 hours and then linearly after that

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Starting a gathering event in Ironwood RPG now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AMReese posted:

Someone please my eye.

there are so many mobile ones that are actually fun to watch but they all poo poo ads at you constantly and just want you to give them money every 30 seconds

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the help, all. I already had most of the upgrades it was just a matter of seeking out the reincarnation perks. I got about 200 levels overnight with 300 to go so I should get there in no time. I assume ascend as soon as I hit RL 2500?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ascension resets most things so there are only a few things worth worrying about before ascending:
  • Whack Bonus: Whack-A-Potato remembers your highest token bonus pre-ascension and will apply it to all games post-ascension, so it's worthwhile to maximize this (and run a game with it) shortly before ascending.
  • Cards: Your temp card power resets but not your permanent card power, so spend all your charges before ascension.
  • Residue Upgrades (after ascension 10): Ascension 10 starts auto-buying residue upgrades up to your all time max, so its in your best interest to buy as many as possible before ascending.
  • Gear (after ascension 11): Because Ascension 11 prevents your gear from resetting on ascension, you want to do an equipment run shortly before ascending (with potion) and get the best gear possible.

Other than that, yeah ascend as soon as possible.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
In Melvor, I spent a bunch of coin on another bank tab but I don't seem to have another bank tab? Whats the deal I feel like I did something dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

In Melvor, I spent a bunch of coin on another bank tab but I don't seem to have another bank tab? Whats the deal I feel like I did something dumb

Bank tabs are the organizing things at the top, they are not bank slots, slots are shared among all bank tabs