Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Open Source Idiom posted:

The finale devotes a strangely large amount of time to a highly detailed flashback to Asher and Whitney's wedding. The moment Whitney says "I do", Nathan Fielder drops the act and reveals that the entire show was a complicated pretence just to trick Emma Stone into marrying him. That's right, the wedding was real. The show suddenly cuts to black, but the subsequent litigation proceedings last for months. Safdie documents the fallout in a long form documentary called "For Better Or For The Curse" which airs on HGTV.

Saw it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Weird that it seems to be a common theme among predictions that the finale involves blending fiction with the real world. Here's my batshit idea:

The cult that people keep hinting at burns down Asher and Whitney's house while Dougie is over there, kidnapping them and bringing them to their compound. It is there where the titular "curse" is revealed and it isn't Asher like he believes: all three are trapped within a TV show like the Truman Show, except they are all fictional and discover that they are in the final episode and will cease to exist soon. To counteract this, the cult reveals to them that they can swap places with the real-life Nathan Fielder, Emma Stone, and Benny Safdie. Instead, they will be trapped forever in "waiting for season 2" purgatory and the characters get to live IRL with free will instead. The last 10-15 minutes of the episode take place after the switch, with Nathan and Emma method acting as Asher and Whitney pretending to be Nathan and Emma for all the promos they shoot for The Curse

E: Also Asher learns that Nathan doesn't have a micropenis and there's a scene after the swap where Nathan hangs his real-life average dong and is literally mesmerized by it

demostars fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 8, 2024

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

trying to predict the ending of any Fielder show seems futile but here's my guess:

Ash and Whitney continue to be "happily married" to keep the show going. Asher is revealed to have hired a seperate film crew to document their interactions making the show, purely to relive his own humiliation kink.

later, Green Queen starts airing. the community of Espanola loathe it and our horrifying power couple; community leaders and locals start protesting the mirror houses and demanding Ash / Whitney's banishment. they don't leave, insisting that they are doing good work and making Espanola a better place.

at the same time, Whitney continues her surface-level adoption of Asher's Jewish faith. in truth she believes in nothing except herself and lives her life thusly. during Shabbat, she mocks Asher and his faithful practice, and breaks some of the 'rules' of Shabbat. this outright blasphemy angers the Lord who sends some sort of catastrophic event as punishment. the mirror houses are destroyed, maybe Whit or Ash die, and the community starts to rebuild.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My finale guess is that something is gonna somehow gently caress up Ashur badly or even kill him. Whitney ruined in the process and slinks back to the hell that is her parents. Dougie gets a successful documentary out of it all from the destruction of them and gets to use his cut footage and HGTV gets a wildly successful Green Queen show with the fun and good chemistry fake couple.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp. I think I'm going to avoid this thread until after the finale so I can be on blackout.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ashur is arrested and convicted as a sex offender when a magic trick goes awry

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Ashur is arrested and convicted as a sex offender when a magic trick goes awry

a nearby judge, witness to the spectacle, leads him directly to jail

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
asher and whitney are gonna get a happy ending

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Asher finds the chicken in one of the fridge drawers and then proceeds to disappear into the night......never to be seen again.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm just waiting for the bill gates look alike plot line to resolve.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

My finale guess is that something is gonna somehow gently caress up Ashur badly or even kill him.

Asher is the victim of a hit and run by someone driving their Scion tC at 100 mph.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Reminder, you still have a few days to get a free trial of Showtime/Paramount and watch the season ahead of the finale

https://x.com/benny_safdie/status/1737994666983714959?s=20

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

finally caught up on this loving nightmare, love it. would not recommend watching multiple episodes in a row

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

alf_pogs posted:

a nearby judge, witness to the spectacle, leads him directly to jail

Nah, Whitney is going to panic and flee the state. Asher will need to track her down, so he needs the best private investigator he can get. He opens up Yelp and looks for one with a good review...

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

They finally find a great buyer for a house; a man who graduated from Canadian business school with pretty good grades. Asher becomes enamored and leaves Whitney for him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wungus posted:

They finally find a great buyer for a house; a man who graduated from Canadian business school with pretty good grades. Asher becomes enamored and leaves Whitney for him.

Eventually, Asher strangles him and takes his identity.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wungus posted:

HGTV passes on Green Queen in favor of Ghost Realtor.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sounds like the finale screenings have come and gone, so time for avoiding chat till I've watched it I reckon

drat what a show.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I will actually be surprised if anyone leaks spoilers form the premiere -- I would be happy to be wrong though and read them if anyone finds them.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

finale prediction: things come to a head when it is revealed that Asher is a grower not a shower, and Whitney has been gaslighting him into thinking that averages are based on flaccid length. final shot is a close up of Asher's eight inch erect hog

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 9, 2024

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

finale prediction: things come to a head when it is revealed that Asher is a grower not a shower, and Whitney has been gaslighting him into thinking that averages are based on flaccid length. final shot is a close up of Asher's eight inch erect hog

:eyepop:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I feel really out of the loop here on The Curse, and I see that the people here are really into it, and theorizing on the finale and all. However I tried watching the first 2 episodes, and while it's a "dark comedy drama", I am having trouble wanting to keep watching other than seeing a couple that are falling apart with no actual comedy thrown in.

Even dark humor is still comedy, but thus far it has simply been disillusioned people getting into bad situations, making worse decisions, and they blow up in their face.

Is this an instance of "It gets better", or is it just not for me?

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

The land acknowledgement loving killed me the longer it kept going

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I feel really out of the loop here on The Curse, and I see that the people here are really into it, and theorizing on the finale and all. However I tried watching the first 2 episodes, and while it's a "dark comedy drama", I am having trouble wanting to keep watching other than seeing a couple that are falling apart with no actual comedy thrown in.

Even dark humor is still comedy, but thus far it has simply been disillusioned people getting into bad situations, making worse decisions, and they blow up in their face.

It's not inconceivable that someone might appreciate The Curse even if the humour doesn't land for them, if the satire or character study elements appeal, but if you're not getting much out of what you've seen so far it's probably just not for you.

You could possibly try watching Fielder's or Safdie's previous work and seeing if you warm up to it at all, as I'd say The Curse is probably the most offbeat and challenging thing either of them have put out to date, and less comedic. Which is not to say their earlier stuff is comfort viewing.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Drowning Rabbit posted:

It could be either, to be honest. I've been fairly lukewarm on the show as a whole, but that said, each episode does have maybe a couple 10 or 15 minute segments that are just absolutely on point. Maybe I'm watching it wrong; I don't know.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

It's not inconceivable that someone might appreciate The Curse even if the humour doesn't land for them, if the satire or character study elements appeal, but if you're not getting much out of what you've seen so far it's probably just not for you.

You could possibly try watching Fielder's or Safdie's previous work and seeing if you warm up to it at all, as I'd say The Curse is probably the most offbeat and challenging thing either of them have put out to date, and less comedic. Which is not to say their earlier stuff is comfort viewing.

I mean I get it being uncomfortable and all, but I just wasn't expecting an uncomfortable drama. I have seen people talking a lot about it and noting it being a dark comedy. I think I'm just looking for something else with that kind of billing.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

This show is straight horror and I yell in terror at it constantly

e: which is great comedy

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

most of the humour of the show comes from the pain. if you didn’t find asher pulling off the world’s most buffoonish data breach or whitney struggling to comprehend cara’s installation funny, you’re unlikely to find much else in the show funny, though there are a few more broadly humourous things later on, like tone-perfect parodies of reality show editing and an indigenous person transparently clowning on gullible white folk

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Don't forget the cherry tomato boys

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I really like the show but I don't really think it is a comedy at all. Nathan Fielder is a comedian but this show is a drama. The cringe is drama and not funny like in Nathan For You. I guess you could call it a "back comedy" but I think thats stretching that term pretty far.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the truth of it is a lot of people would have pulled out earlier if it wasn’t Fielder. The show is slow and doesn’t necessarily have big payoffs, but everyone is hanging on the idea that once the finale episode drops it will be quite the experience when looked at in whole.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

seeing Nathan ascend into psycho dom-hood was the only payoff I needed. he was merely faking it for episodes 1 through 8 and finally he faked it until he made it in ep 9

added spoilers because I forgot the poster just posting had only seen eps1/2

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barely a minute passes in this show without some sort of comedy gag. If you can't see humor in the absurdity of the mundane, maybe it'll be lost on you, but Fielder's sense of humor is all over practically every scene.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I think it's considered funnier than it is because Fielder is in it and wrote it. If it was someone else, it wouldn't be considered a comedy at all. Not to say there are no funny moments, The Fire Burns On was great, but I just don't think they are going for humor with this show except to break up the tension.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I seriously have no idea how some people are waking away with that take.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I am similarly surprised at your take; the show is so ominous. But it's a good show either way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s a very funny show. Just look at all of the posts in this thread with people lamenting on things that made them laugh. It’s a much more low key humor than Nathan for you or even the rehearsal, but not only is it there, it’s everywhere.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

There are tons of posts about the drama and theories which is where I think the real gold is with this show. I didn't really think The Rehearsal was funny either, so I just don't think we think the same things are funny outside of Nathan for You tbh.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

gurragadon posted:

I think it's considered funnier than it is because Fielder is in it and wrote it. If it was someone else, it wouldn't be considered a comedy at all.

100 percent this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

gurragadon posted:

I think it's considered funnier than it is because Fielder is in it and wrote it. If it was someone else, it wouldn't be considered a comedy at all. Not to say there are no funny moments, The Fire Burns On was great, but I just don't think they are going for humor with this show except to break up the tension.

I don't know about that - Good Time is a very similar style of humor and is the Safdies minus Fielder and it landed as a comedy. They both land in the same Comedy of Errors category imo