Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MarcusSA posted:

Overall not positive.

I’ve seen a few episodes and it’s just too over the top.

It’s Dallas for the 2020s

One episode was enough for me, "Dallas for the 2020s" is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oasx posted:

For a second I thought something fun was going to happen on this episode of Monarch, but I was wrong.

It's hilarious that Wyatt Russell's character gets back to the real world, discovers that he has been gone for twenty years, and then decides to sit in a retirement home for forty years straight, with no explanation why

I gave up on watching the show just before Christmas and it sounds like I made the right choice :sigh:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

I’d rather they add recommendations based on your ratings, but whatever.

Criticker was really good for this. I'd love a version of that site with the same polish and usability of Letterboxd.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I always heard Yellowstone described as being about the Bundys but how the Bundys see themselves.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yellowstone is fine.

It’s gotten pretty drawn out but I like a lot of it and I don’t consider myself a boomer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

This is why they’re happy letting Costner go and making a new show with McConaughey, right? So they can keep the streaming rights?

Yes. Paramount / CBS wasn't sure about the show being a hit, so they sold the streaming rights to NBCUniversal before the show ever aired. Turns out it's insanely popular and Peacock is seeing extreme numbers on streaming. After Costner threw a fit, they decided to cancel Yellowstone and do a spin-off with all the original cast + McConaughey.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm disappointed that Letterboxd is doing TV. I thought we had gotten to the point where people admitted that even good TV shows aren't as good as movies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chairman Capone posted:

I always heard Yellowstone described as being about the Bundys but how the Bundys see themselves.

Had a brief but beautiful moment where I thought this was about Married with Children :smith:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I'm disappointed that Letterboxd is doing TV. I thought we had gotten to the point where people admitted that even good TV shows aren't as good as movies.

Even if that were true, I'm not sure why that's relevant?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I’d rather they add recommendations based on your ratings, but whatever.

In browser they have a sort order for lists that is "Based on Films You Like" or "Related to Films You Liked." Maybe they published a blog post on what exactly they mean, but to me they're not transparent enough to be useful.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Rewatching the first season of The OC. Might be a contender for best Teen Dialogue of all time, especially whenever Seth is talking. That kid just emanates Jewish Boy Swag in an insanely authentic way. Ditto for the music choices - somehow feels more relevant than shows 15 years younger (looking at you Riverdale). Looking forward to the show's descent into insanity, including my personal favorite plots "jock, distraught over his gay dad, fools around with a MILF" and "supervillain heir to the Marriott throne holds female love interest hostage". Also looking forward to the Beckisode

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

The Brothers Sun was a great 8 episode romp.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/variety/status/1743833369488818252?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Corncob TV with yet another Emmy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'LL KILL YEWWWW

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sam Richardson won one too :gerty:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Minor Awards Gubbins:

Blindspotting deserved that choreo win. Certainly over loving Grease, which was so so tacky.

Disappointed that Dead Ringers didn't get that cinematography win.

Lol at both The Last Of Us and Wednesday getting nominated for "Outstanding Contemporary Costume", and The Bear for any of its "Best Comedy" awards.

Also the insanity of nominating Obi Wan for literally any editing award ever, let alone multiple ones.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“We edited Obi-Wan wrong on purpose, as a joke!”

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Dango Bango posted:

Still love Reacher but ooh boy did this week's episode jump the shark for me.

I laughed my rear end off at that end sequence.

Mook #1: I heard a noise and I'm going to investigate this bus.
Reacher: murderbus
Mook #2: I also heard that noise and will investigate this bus.
Reacher: murderbus
Mook #3: You know what, this looks like a murderbus and I don't want to have anything to do with it. I'm going to keep an eye on it as I back away towards this trailer.
Reacher: murdertrailer

(Also, seeing Finlay again in that other ep finally made me rumble what I remembered him from and couldn't place. He's the guy at the beginning of LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" video.)

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 7, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

In browser they have a sort order for lists that is "Based on Films You Like" or "Related to Films You Liked." Maybe they published a blog post on what exactly they mean, but to me they're not transparent enough to be useful.

Oh I’ll have to check this out when I’m not phone posting. Thanks!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Bear for any of its "Best Comedy" awards.

Half an hour means it's a comedy, not hard to understand there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

More importantly, Weird Al is now halfway to EGOT status.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kazmeyer posted:

(Also, seeing Finlay again in that other ep finally made me rumble what I remembered him from and couldn't place. He's the guy at the beginning of LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" video.)

He's also really good on the CW show "I Zombie" where he plays the seemingly straight laced police detective character who is actually a huge weirdo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

muscles like this! posted:

He's also really good on the CW show "I Zombie" where he plays the seemingly straight laced police detective character who is actually a huge weirdo.

"Clive....what's George R.R. Martin up to right now?"

"Not writing."

is still an all time delivery.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite bit was how he would bring in sandwiches once a week saying they were from a food truck but he was secretly making them at home.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also the insanity of nominating Obi Wan for literally any editing award ever, let alone multiple ones.

My favorite part of Obi-Wan was when they made the decision to not use any John Williams music, and then when people complained, tried to blame it on Williams refusing to give them permission to use Star Wars music in their Star Wars show, which is definitely a thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao, my Hulu/Disney+ subscription reactivated after I had paused it for a few months and it's loving bizarre seeing Melancholia in my Disney+ suggestions now :thunk:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nwin posted:

Yellowstone is fine.

It’s gotten pretty drawn out but I like a lot of it and I don’t consider myself a boomer.

Yeah I’m not gonna call it bad but fine is a good way to put it.

It didn’t click with me but I can see the appeal of it.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

nwin posted:

Yellowstone is fine.

The first two seasons were pretty alright because it really leaned into the corrupting influence of wealth to the point where I was kinda shocked that rightoids loved it. Beginning into the third season though that kind of stuff got thrown out in favor of pandering.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

I never saw Dallas. Where the main characters in it mass murderers? I think some of the Yellowstone main characters have a body count running in the 30s.

They were oilmen and ranchers, so ... yes?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Holy poo poo, I know this is weird, but it's TV adjacent, so I'll put it here, but that anyone remember that Lone Ranger catchphrase? I always thought it was "Hi Ho Silver!" Apparently, it's "Hi Yo Silver," and I've been The Berenstain Bears/Mandela effecting.

https://medium.com/@nathanielhebert/hi-yo-silver-hi-ho-silver-and-the-murky-history-of-the-lone-rangers-catchphrase-9860e4433f23

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ay yo river

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

Holy poo poo, I know this is weird, but it's TV adjacent, so I'll put it here, but that anyone remember that Lone Ranger catchphrase? I always thought it was "Hi Ho Silver!" Apparently, it's "Hi Yo Silver," and I've been The Berenstain Bears/Mandela effecting.

https://medium.com/@nathanielhebert/hi-yo-silver-hi-ho-silver-and-the-murky-history-of-the-lone-rangers-catchphrase-9860e4433f23
No way

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Bear and BEEF cleaning up those acting awards.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pan Dulce posted:

taht just reminded me that the Armie Hammer Lone Ranger movie was actually pretty fun for the 20 minutes at the end it allowed itself to be a Lone Ranger movie. It was just a shame about the two hours leading up to that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pan Dulce posted:

I didn't get into Lone Ranger, I always think of Bill in It saying it while riding his bike, and I think he says Hi Ho Silver so that's how I remember it heh

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always assumed it was the same thing Kermit theeeee Frog said

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gripweed posted:

taht just reminded me that the Armie Hammer Lone Ranger movie was actually pretty fun for the 20 minutes at the end it allowed itself to be a Lone Ranger movie. It was just a shame about the two hours leading up to that.

I can't think of other examples off the top of my head, but this is the prime example of a movie trend lately where a whole movie feels like the first act. Like, we get to the end, and we're finally ready for the movie to begin. Except, credits. It would be like if the first Raimi Spider-Man movie ended on the montage after he made the suit.

Actually, Rebel Moon is a recent example of this, too, but at least there's a sequel coming soon, because that literally is just the first half of a movie. Not much of a defense, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Too many movies spend their audience attention budget trying to build a cinematic universe instead of just putting together an entertaining and engaging movie from start to end. You can do both, but you have to put priority on the whole "coherent and entertaining movie" part.

Monster Hunter is another example of this. There's no satisfying conclusion of the plot of that movie because, well, it doesn't conclude. A new objective is introduced in the last 30 seconds of the movie and it just..ends (not without a mid-credit teaser roll though.) Even if they would have just ended the movie a bit earlier and still included the teaser, it would have been a better ending to the movie (not necessarily a better movie though. It is Paul Anderson after all.)

As much blame as you can heap on Marvel for this trend, they actually were doing it correctly (at least at the start.) If you look at Ironman, there were certainly comic book easter eggs throughout, but it was a singular story that had a beginning, middle, and end. That was really the point of the mid credit teasers, to hint at what's next without having to make the plot of your movie in service of it. If you make an audience sit through 90 minutes of buildup to find out that the plot doesn't even have a satisfying resolution and instead they were doing homework for what's to come, they are going to be pissed (obvious exceptions excluded like LOTR and Dune where it was made clear from the start that the story was too big to be told in one movie.)

"Enter the Spiderverse" is another one that got it right. Everyone knew from word go that this could be a jumping off point for a whole series of movies in this vein, but you don't watch and enjoy the movie for that. You watch it because it's a good movie that can stand on its own even if never led to anything else and you only had the most cursory familiarity with Spider-Man.

Then there's the opposite end of the spectrum with something like "The Batman" which mercifully doesn't include Batman's origin flashbacks for once but still manages to be a bloated 3 hours.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 8, 2024

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
oops, all origin stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I didn’t think the Batman was bloated. I’m sure it could’ve been edited a bit tighter but it never really felt like it was dragging or meandering.