Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Megapixels are meaningless marketing if it's still the same small sensors. You're not getting 4x more detail, you're just getting an image that's 4x bigger. It's just like how the phones might be capable of recording a video that has 4K resolution, but it isn't capturing 4K levels of detail in the same way a professional video camera would.

Yeah, but the larger image means you can zoom in real nice and see how much the goalposts moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tuyop posted:

You just invoke Siri and say the shortcut name. “Siri chill kitchen” sets my kitchen lights to like 30% and some other stuff, for instance. You’ve gotta name it something that doesn’t confuse Siri or you.

This is driving me bananas.

"Zephyr" -> looks up Washington Wizards :wtc:
"Axolotl" -> looks up axolotl
"Do What I want you to" -> "Interesting idea." (thanks a lot you sarcastic bitch)

Some other names I've tried invoke Shazam instead of the shortcut, or ask for the phone to be unlocked. (I've tested, you do not need the phone unlocked to run the shortcut via widget.)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I really need to start using the Action Button for more than "The little tippy tapping feeling when I toggle silent on and off feels nice".

~Coxy posted:

"Do What I want you to" -> "Interesting idea." (thanks a lot you sarcastic bitch)

Some other names I've tried invoke Shazam instead of the shortcut, or ask for the phone to be unlocked. (I've tested, you do not need the phone unlocked to run the shortcut via widget.)
Add "Would you kindly" to the start of every shortcut name.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
If you're having trouble triggering a particular shortcut, saying "Siri, run shortcut <shortcut-name>" almost always works and even seems to do partial matching for me. Eg I have a shortcut named "set playback" but maybe i forget and this is how it goes:

"siri, run shortcut change playback"
"which one?" (Here I wish it would say "do you mean 'set playback'? or just run it but at least I know I got the name wrong when she says this)
"siri, run shortcut playback"
"running shortcut set playback"

Some phrases appear to be reserved though and won't even work with this trick. I wish Apple would just give a list because they really do appear to be special words. With other shortcut names that overlap existing siri functions she generally just runs the shortcut but not with these phrases.

The one I ran into a lot is "Play Music" or just "Music" or something like "Play a Favourite" - it will just start playing your default music player instead of your Shortcut, even if you do the "Siri, run shortcut play music" song and dance. I have a moderately complex Shortcut that works with both my phone and my mac that prompts me for a playlist name from a list then plays it in youtube music on shuffle. After a lot of trial and error I ended up with the name "Music Mix" which somehow breaks through this annoyance but "Play Music", "Play Playlist", "Music", etc were all not working. This is very frustrating because you can otherwise name Shortcuts that would overlap normal triggers like "Call Mom".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Wow that really sucks!

I also wish they’d just document the Siri poo poo so we had something authoritative to refer to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

I don't know why Apple doesn't have Face and Touch ID. Throw it on the power button.

Cost control.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm fairly certain Sony holds the patent for finger print readers on the power button of phones. But not for tablets.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't really like faceid all that much, personally. I'd rather just have a touchid power button.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In the Android world they have under-screen fingerprint sensors. Some work better than others. The ones that work well are seamless.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Chances are they’ll start including even more front facing sensors to take advantage of fancy Vision Pro 3D stuff.

Touch ID power buttons don’t work well with a case.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
God I hated TouchID by the time I was able to upgrade out of it. I’d say I’m a particularly clean person but I’d constantly get finger rejections. I would also add the same finger as other fingers throughout the day to maximize my own chance of getting in, but id still get chain rejected until it asked for my passcode. FaceID isn’t perfect, especially when the phone is on its back away from your face, but I have no fondness for the bad old days

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I have a really dumb question that I can’t seem to Google my way out of.

If I want to set a new Lock Screen wallpaper, how do I do that WITHOUT it changing my Home Screen?

Every time I “Set as Wallpaper” I then have the option to either set it as a pair (which I don’t want) or have to set the Home Screen separately which involves scrolling back through a thousand photos to find the one that I already had set before.

Is there really no way to JUST change the Lock Screen?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Referee posted:

I have a really dumb question that I can’t seem to Google my way out of.

If I want to set a new Lock Screen wallpaper, how do I do that WITHOUT it changing my Home Screen?

Every time I “Set as Wallpaper” I then have the option to either set it as a pair (which I don’t want) or have to set the Home Screen separately which involves scrolling back through a thousand photos to find the one that I already had set before.

Is there really no way to JUST change the Lock Screen?

Long press on the Lock Screen with the phone unlocked and it will let you mess with it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

MarcusSA posted:

Long press on the Lock Screen with the phone unlocked and it will let you mess with it.

Cool, thanks! That works for about half of mine and the other half it brings up a different prompt- but creating a new one and then doing the same thing doesn’t. Wonder if wallpapers from before a certain iOS update bring up something different? Anyway, thanks!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I change the card that gets billed in the App Store? I thought it was Settings app, my name, Payment and Shipping but I just got an auto bill for a subscription on the old card. The subscription is managed by Apple and the new card is set to the default.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I change the card that gets billed in the App Store? I thought it was Settings app, my name, Payment and Shipping but I just got an auto bill for a subscription on the old card. The subscription is managed by Apple and the new card is set to the default.

An existing subscription is Settings -> You -> Subscriptions and change what it's billed to there.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I'm fairly certain Sony holds the patent for finger print readers on the power button of phones. But not for tablets.

Not sure, I've already seen Moto and Samsung phones with the power button finger print reader.

Indeed my ideal iPhone would do away with the notch and just have small bezels like the poster above suggested, and have faceid and touchid (like in the ipad air).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is anyone else getting lots of duplicate notifications in iOS17? At first I thought it was an Outlook problem, but now I see it happening with other apps too. Sometimes I get 4-6 rapid fire notifications all for the same thing, very annoying.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when I click on someone's name above their texts, and select call from that menu, it goes to facetime instead of a regular call - is there anyway to fix that? it even tries to do it if i turn off facetime.

if I call from the contacts list it calls their phone as normal

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is anyone having issues with WiFi connectivity?

It seems like my phone (13 pro) will be connected but random apps will not be connected. Everything else is fine in the house but my phone will suddenly say that I need connect to the internet when I use an app (only to be fine in a minute or so).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Before I make an abslute horlicks of things, what's the best way to remove all the locally synced music from my iPhone so I can re-sync it all from scratch from iTunes?

I did a direct transfer from my old phone when I got my 15 Pro and basically all the album art is wrong. Everything is correct on the iTunes install on my PC though so I figure a full re-sync is the only option since I don't see a way to tell it just to scrap the album art on my phone and pull it again from my computer.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Settings - general - iPhone storage - music - edit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is anyone having issues with WiFi connectivity?

It seems like my phone (13 pro) will be connected but random apps will not be connected. Everything else is fine in the house but my phone will suddenly say that I need connect to the internet when I use an app (only to be fine in a minute or so).

Yes I've had this happen a number of times with my 15. The phone is connected but acts like it's lost connection to the internet and flipping wifi off and on will fix it.

I've also noticed that it's really slow at connecting to known wifi networks while I'm out. Sometimes it won't connect at all until I open the wifi settings page which triggers some kind of scan or refresh.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Settings - general - iPhone storage - music - edit.
Thanks! Gotta pick a good time where I won't need to take my phone out for several hours this weekend for a delete and re-sync.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Question Mark Mound posted:

Thanks! Gotta pick a good time where I won't need to take my phone out for several hours this weekend for a delete and re-sync.

'sup, fellow ancient Local Music User :):hf::)

yeah I've generally found that removing and resyncing is the most guaranteed way to resolve any weirdness with synced music (including the frequent bug where music appears to be synced but can't be played). I'm pretty sure there is certain metadata that just doesn't update on subsequent syncs, so it can't be changed on the phone unless it's treated as a brand new import.

note that you can also use the "sync checked songs only" option in iTunes and then un-check stuff to remove it from the phone on a sync. But I'd imagine that removing directly via Settings app works fine too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is the most frustrating fuckin thing right now.

It has to load the picture into iMessage and when you first select it it doesn’t grab the live version but if you delete it and select it again it’s the full picture.

I don’t know why the phone takes to long to process the picture to send.

I was hoping going from a 13 to a 15 would fix it but guess not!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The phone backgrounds their magic AI image processing. It takes a "little bit" to do automatically. But if you tap on it in messages or photos app it'll prioritize it and hang for a couple seconds to do the job.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nice vacationbrag bitch!! Sorry you had to wait 2 seconds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Nice vacationbrag bitch!! Sorry you had to wait 2 seconds.

lol well it’s just dumb because the first photo it picks isn’t the right one!

xzzy posted:

The phone backgrounds their magic AI image processing. It takes a "little bit" to do automatically. But if you tap on it in messages or photos app it'll prioritize it and hang for a couple seconds to do the job.

Well if you tap it in iMessage it adds the base image to the message and if you want the full one you have to delete that and select it again.

It seems like it takes a good 2 minutes to background process the image which seems a bit much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Well if you tap it in iMessage it adds the base image to the message and if you want the full one you have to delete that and select it again.

Not the behavior I get, it won't insert the image until it's done processing. Perhaps you're holding it wrong!

Or iPhones are dumb. It could be that

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nuke the iPhone and start over. Don’t use a backup.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm sure it's been discussed by why did they change messages so you can't select from your photo library directly anymore? you have to click the plus button first and then click "photos." so stupid

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Not the behavior I get, it won't insert the image until it's done processing. Perhaps you're holding it wrong!

Or iPhones are dumb. It could be that

That’s weird and dumb. It processes the image but the first one it inserts isn’t the live one. I have to delete it and select it again.

Oh well iPhones are dumbo.

Still take good pictures though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

actionjackson posted:

i'm sure it's been discussed by why did they change messages so you can't select from your photo library directly anymore? you have to click the plus button first and then click "photos." so stupid

Long press on the + button and see what happens.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Long press and see what happens.

Thread title

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Mother fucker……….

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Skeezy posted:

I wonder how often people are choosing photos vs the other choices? It’s gotta be like 99% photos or camera at least, right? I can think of maybe one time I’ve shared my location, all the other options seem mostly useless.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The only thing in there I use and it’s not even often is the gif search.

E: Hell, most of the time I forget there’s a camera option there. I usually just swipe from the lock screen for that and then send it through iMessage.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Skeezy posted:

I never knew this. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Skeezy posted:

aw poo poo ty

i still prefer how it was before though