Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I hope Anya also gets her last stella and tonitrus at the same time and the school has no idea what to do with her because they never thought this situation would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I hope Anya also gets her last stella and tonitrus at the same time and the school has no idea what to do with her because they never thought this situation would happen.

You aren't the first person to pitch this idea, and you probably won't be the last. Hell, I might be coming around on that idea as well, it would fit a series with the thematic throughline of people being two-faced.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
So Anya hasn't had any education besides basic reading and basic math?

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 7, 2024

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Darth TNT posted:

More interestingly, why is she good at classical language?
I think the most likely explanation is that the lab used classical language exclusively and that would also neatly explain why she spelled her name wrong.

I'm going to be very disappointed if this doesn't happen, honestly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anya is like 5 years old, she's doing shockingly well for someone lying about her age in the classes she is in

I fully expect there to be a reveal of how young she actually is at some point and loid is gonna lose his mind

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think this is the first time Loid ever asked Anya about directly. Makes me wonder if he's gonna try digging deeper now.

Unrelated to the manga is there any word on how the movie did in Japan?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think this is the first time Loid ever asked Anya about directly. Makes me wonder if he's gonna try digging deeper now.

Unrelated to the manga is there any word on how the movie did in Japan?

Number one at the box office for weeks. Seems to be doing alright.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Darth TNT posted:

She's very young and can inherently understand the intent (with the understanding of a 6 year old anyways) of what people are saying via telepathy. She was also raised in a lab where many of the terms used are going to be Latin.

Of course to people who don't know that, she's just weirdly gifted in language and social situations. In another year Loid might even realize she could be trained into the perfect spy.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

Donovan has 100% been loving around with his eldest son's brain. The fact that he used to watch him study so intently and now ignores him now he knows his machine-child works and can operate independently seems like conclusive evidence of this.

I am not sure that is the exact inference to make. I believe Demetrius inherently has the brain that he has. I believe the focus is more that their father is now busy compared to how attentive to his family he was before. Based on what Anya mind-read from his mom, the turning point for the Desmond family seems to revolve around or happen to occur around when Damian was born. Is Donovan just too busy now with rebellious schemes that he has no time for family? Or perhaps there is more going on surrounding the birth of Damian?

Darth TNT posted:

I believe the inference is that the scientists or whomever imbued Anya with her powers used classical language as a test for her mind reading powers. For example, to confirm that her mind reading works, the scientists would speak to her normally but only think in classical language or vice versa. There are other ways to form this experiment like 999, but classical language was probably involved to test her mind reading abilities.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

I saw a theory I liked that she almost gets expelled until Damian says he lied about her punching him, which then removes a bolt from her record.

It wouldn’t really make sense that she went along with the “lie” though, sadly.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the reason Anya can't read Demetrius is just that he doesn't think about or respond to social situations beyond "I don't like or understand this."

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason Anya can't read Demetrius is just that he doesn't think about or respond to social situations beyond "I don't like or understand this."

:same:

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
What if Anya can't actually read minds and she's just been making assumptions this whole time? Mind-reading isn't real, you know?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

What if Anya can't actually read minds and she's just been making assumptions this whole time? Mind-reading isn't real, you know?

That's fine. You aren't real either, subject N-23.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Demetrius is actually rain man.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That's fine. You aren't real either, subject N-23.

poo poo. I knew it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Demetrius' classical language is morse

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Old morse runes

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
He's just thinking in symbols like how Becky did when she went to Anya's home, but the only symbol is _.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Could be something sinister is being done to the Desmond children at some particular age. It would fit and provide something suitably end-game dramatic for Anya to save Desmond from.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flair posted:

I am not sure that is the exact inference to make. I believe Demetrius inherently has the brain that he has. I believe the focus is more that their father is now busy compared to how attentive to his family he was before. Based on what Anya mind-read from his mom, the turning point for the Desmond family seems to revolve around or happen to occur around when Damian was born. Is Donovan just too busy now with rebellious schemes that he has no time for family? Or perhaps there is more going on surrounding the birth of Damian?

Donovan had that creepy haunted-owl stare when he was watching Demetrius in Damian's flashback. He's canonically difficult to read, but that didn't seem like normal fatherly affection to me.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

maybe he's just really constipated

anya will finally read his mind and realise this man hasn't pooped since the war started

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

maybe he's just really constipated

anya will finally read his mind and realise this man hasn't pooped since the war started

constipated... with EVIL

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, Anya can literally read the mind of a dog (admittedly a very smart dog) and get words out of it, so whatever is going on in Demetrius has to be really weird.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, Anya can literally read the mind of a dog (admittedly a very smart dog) and get words out of it, so whatever is going on in Demetrius has to be really weird.

I think Anya only ever gets images from Bond, I don't remember her ever getting words.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Zore posted:

I think Anya only ever gets images from Bond, I don't remember her ever getting words.

She manages to get words from him in Short Mission 3, although I think Endo's moved away from having him think in words. Point is, she's able to pick up on what animals are thinking. Meeting a human she bounces off of is... weird.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's nice that Ando didn't go to the cliche of having Demetrius be a bully to Damian. In a different manga, his character would look down on Damian for only getting a single Stella. There's still something off about the guy, but not in a way that's actively unpleasant for Damian.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

It's nice that Ando didn't go to the cliche of having Demetrius be a bully to Damian. In a different manga, his character would look down on Damian for only getting a single Stella. There's still something off about the guy, but not in a way that's actively unpleasant for Damian.

I 100% expected him to NOT be a bully or look down on him and either legitimately love him, but either be VERY awkward about it in a way that a 5-6 year old would not quite grasp or be VERY weird and strange.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

amigolupus posted:

Given Anya's mind reading ability, Demetrius being overtly stolid rather than being mean makes for an interesting dynamic. His demeanor simply reflects his mind.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Flair posted:

Given Anya's mind reading ability, Demetrius being overtly stolid rather than being mean makes for an interesting dynamic. His demeanor simply reflects his mind.

That would be interesting as hell. Instead of some weird brain tampering, they're just weird stoic people with issues. Would fit with the stigma about mental health and would actually give Twilight an easy in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Demetrius looks a lot like his dad with the stare.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://x.com/StreetFighter/status/1744539490964947158?s=20

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

oh boy they gave her Juri's moveset

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
That loving rocks :allears:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Come one, Loid, tell your fake daughter you are proud of her for doing so well :ohdear:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He doesn't need to. She's psychic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He doesn't know that!!!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's genuinely funny/sad that it'd be really easy for Loid to lie about feeling proud for Anya, but way harder to be honest about it. Same for a lot of other emotions.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Those names :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

danganronpa-rear end killer