Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

CottonWolf posted:

Magnus is a sympathetic serial gently caress-up.

That can be applied to half the primarchs tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Angry Lobster posted:

That can be applied to half the primarchs tbh

And most of the posters ITT

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CottonWolf posted:

Magnus is a sympathetic serial gently caress-up.

I've been trying to get through the heresy series lately and I really like his portrayal in A Thousand Sons, at the beginning it kinda seems like its going the "Magnus did nothing wrong" route but by the end its clear that hes a complete fraud who has been manipulated and maneuvered his entire life, first by the Emperor and then by Tzeentch. The Emperor was grooming him the whole time to suffer on the Golden Throne in his stead and was annoyed that he had to humor his childish ideas about what the Warp is, while Tzeentch was there at every moment The Emperor wasn't to nudge him along the path to being its servant/prize. Dude never had a loving chance.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

AnEdgelord posted:

I've been trying to get through the heresy series lately and I really like his portrayal in A Thousand Sons, at the beginning it kinda seems like its going the "Magnus did nothing wrong" route but by the end its clear that hes a complete fraud who has been manipulated and maneuvered his entire life, first by the Emperor and then by Tzeentch. The Emperor was grooming him the whole time to suffer on the Golden Throne in his stead and was annoyed that he had to humor his childish ideas about what the Warp is, while Tzeentch was there at every moment The Emperor wasn't to nudge him along the path to being its servant/prize. Dude never had a loving chance.

Why would the emp assume anyone had to suffer on the golden throne? It wasn’t necessary until magnus messed everything up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Magnus is easily the stupidest Primarch

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Right, I'm pretty sure the Golden Throne only started making its occupant suffer an eternity of soul-consuming torment after Magnus opened a direct connection between it and All The Daemons. Prior to that the Golden Throne was a pretty cool place to sit and project your consciousness across the galaxy.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

celewign posted:

Why would the emp assume anyone had to suffer on the golden throne? It wasn’t necessary until magnus messed everything up.

Emps shows Magnus a vision of "what could have been" when Magnus breaks everything and one of those things is Magnus achieving some sort of psychic ecstasy on the Golden Throne in its final operation, Tzeentch pretty directly undercuts this by showing Magnus what would actually happen later on by showing him in eternal agony on it. Given that the Emperor himself is in eternal agony on the Throne its not hard to put two and two together here and see that Tzeentch is actually telling the truth. Someone always had to sit on it and Magnus was meant to be the sacrificial lamp in the Emperor's place.

edit:

Kylaer posted:

Right, I'm pretty sure the Golden Throne only started making its occupant suffer an eternity of soul-consuming torment after Magnus opened a direct connection between it and All The Daemons. Prior to that the Golden Throne was a pretty cool place to sit and project your consciousness across the galaxy.

according to who? noted liar the Emperor?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It’s deliberately ambiguous on that point. You’re stuck between visions from two noted liars.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Yes, as opposed to noted truth-teller Tzeench :ohno:

Prior to Magnus breaking down the door, the Emperor was able to do all kinds of things including powering the Astronomican while not even being present on Terra; he led the Great Crusade in person for, what, a couple of centuries? Once the door is breached the situation changes completely, he's stuck on the Throne and it's taking up almost all of his power just holding the door shut. It's very clear that Magnus breaking down the door was a big deal. While the Emperor could be lying, the information presented in the books indicates that the Throne wasn't a source of suffering until that event.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CottonWolf posted:

It’s deliberately ambiguous on that point. You’re stuck between visions from two noted liars.

Which I like, really amps up that Magnus himself is caught in that same exact position

Kylaer posted:

Yes, as opposed to noted truth-teller Tzeench :ohno:

Prior to Magnus breaking down the door, the Emperor was able to do all kinds of things including powering the Astronomican while not even being present on Terra; he led the Great Crusade in person for, what, a couple of centuries? Once the door is breached the situation changes completely, he's stuck on the Throne and it's taking up almost all of his power just holding the door shut. It's very clear that Magnus breaking down the door was a big deal. While the Emperor could be lying, the information presented in the books indicates that the Throne wasn't a source of suffering until that event.

The sitting on the chair bit would have been required for the webway project to work not for powering the astronomican (not until it was broken anyway), both Emps AND Tzeentch told Magnus he was destined to sit on the Throne, they just disagreed on what sitting on it would be like, its basically the only thing they agree on

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/07/sunday-preview-the-siege-of-terra-reaches-its-climax/

Do you like a new book? Of course ya do!

This is it people, The End and the Death: Volume III is finally here.
Or at least pre-orders for it.

There's obviously the blinged out CE version, limited to 2500 copies. (Good luck!)

As well as the regular hardback, e-book and audiobook version.

Remember:
UK Pre-orders go up at up at 10am BST, but USA & Canada can't order until 10am PST.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh gently caress is this next Saturday or is it "sometime soon"?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The only people more tiring than those who say Magnus was completely innocent are those who insist on rewriting history to make him simultaneously even more to blame and ineffectual *cough* ADB *cough*.

Cooked Auto posted:

Three and a half decades after they was shown...

We're finally going to get something on the Emperor's Claw!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It would be kind of fun if, after Guilliman comes back with Emp's sword and Johnson comes back with Emp's shield, Russ comes back as a giant Wulfen wielding Emp's claw

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Black Griffon posted:

Oh gently caress is this next Saturday or is it "sometime soon"?

Preorder Saturday

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AnEdgelord posted:

It would be kind of fun if, after Guilliman comes back with Emp's sword and Johnson comes back with Emp's shield, Russ comes back as a giant Wulfen wielding Emp's claw

Or it could be Corvus Corax. No one would expect that

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

poop chute posted:

Preorder Saturday

Oh god, one of my preorder assistants is in Japan. Here's to hoping I can interrupt his holiday just a little bit.

Also, you say BST, Cooked Auto, but that's summer time? So does it drop at GMT+1?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I had honestly forgotten that volume 3 was out so soon, nice.

Can't say I like that cover art though. Horus' pose is decent but the Emperor's pose just looks off somehow, I guess it's meant to represent him spinning all the way around as a result of swinging his claw but the flow of the action just isn't good.

Also, that halo he's got going on...how many points would that have if it wasn't partially obscured by his hair and armor, hmm :stare:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

And most of the posters ITT

Hey, I'm not sympathetic :mad:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
So, what does "pre-order goes live next Saturday" mean for the actual release date?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Arbite posted:

Three and a half decades after they was shown...

We're finally going to get something on the Emperor's Claw!
Chaos turned Horus into a bobble head doll.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Warden posted:

So, what does "pre-order goes live next Saturday" mean for the actual release date?

Amazon has it listed for the 30th.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
How do the LE pre-orders work for global releases? Obviously for regular pre-orders they just go off what's in the local warehouse but a LE like that? Does everyone jump on the 1000 GMT queue?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

poop chute posted:

Amazon has it listed for the 30th.

They seem to have moved a few months ago from a week to a 2 week preorder schedule, so I would assume the 27th on their website for 'This book is now available', Amazon maybe a few days later, or perhaps that's just their holding date and/or allowing delivery time.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 7, 2024

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

poo poo, two out of three of my pre-order servitors have to drop out this Saturday. I managed to recruit an extra, but ideally I'd have my whole team and the extra once since it's the last one. Ah well, it's in the hands of the Emperor.

I bake them cookies the, window is popped and they're listening to their favorite music, it's ok.

Z the IVth posted:

How do the LE pre-orders work for global releases? Obviously for regular pre-orders they just go off what's in the local warehouse but a LE like that? Does everyone jump on the 1000 GMT queue?

There's a set stock for Oceania, Japan/east Asia, Europe and the US from what I understand.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Also, you say BST, Cooked Auto, but that's summer time? So does it drop at GMT+1?

Ah, the issue of an old post to source from.
But I'm pretty sure it's 10am either way.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

They seem to have moved a few months ago from a week to a 2 week preorder schedule, so I would assume the 27th on their website for 'This book is now available', Amazon maybe a few days later, or perhaps that's just their holding date and/or allowing delivery time.

It is already released, it will never be released. There is no then, there is no there-will-be, there is only now, and now is forever. You have to tell Mersadie next time you see her what a fine author Dan Abnett is, to have written such an enthralling book that is in fact three books but is still just one.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

There's still time for them to announce 'You know what. Dan really needs five books to wrap this story up properly'.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

There's still time for them to announce 'You know what. Dan really needs five books to wrap this story up properly'.

The story is leaking through to reality. Like how time is standing still for the defenders of Terra, so does the last TEATD book never comes.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's still 1 january 2020 and it will always be 1 january 2020

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Just have a chapter that's straight out of Wuthering Heights or some other classic book and then Abaddon gets thrown through a wall and all the characters start losing their poo poo, and here comes very angry Rogal Dorn right after him to ensure that they lose it fully.

I mean literally the Wuthering Heights characters, not any characters from 40K.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

It's still 1 january 2020 and it will always be 1 january 2020

Behold the Dark King

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1212679425629859840?lang=en

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Simply can't wait for the (for real this time) end and the death

Hopefully this wraps up the requirements for Bequin part 3 to be released!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Turns out the real End And The Death were the friends we made along the way.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Turns out the real End And The Death were the friends who died along the way.

:smith:

Didn't even get to shitpost with them about it being split into three volumes instead of two, they died just before that got announced.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Emps shows Magnus a vision of "what could have been" when Magnus breaks everything and one of those things is Magnus achieving some sort of psychic ecstasy on the Golden Throne in its final operation, Tzeentch pretty directly undercuts this by showing Magnus what would actually happen later on by showing him in eternal agony on it. Given that the Emperor himself is in eternal agony on the Throne its not hard to put two and two together here and see that Tzeentch is actually telling the truth. Someone always had to sit on it and Magnus was meant to be the sacrificial lamp in the Emperor's place.

edit:

according to who? noted liar the Emperor?

Yeah but we’ve already established that Magnus tried to warn Horus when he said the four were telling him “truths wrapped in falsehoods”. They showed Horus the future that happens as a consequence of his rebellion and telling him this was the future he needed to prevent. Tzeentch showing him the emperor in agony on the throne is the exact same lie.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What do you reckon the odds are that the last line of TEATD3 are the same as the first line in Horus Rising?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Syncopated posted:

Is it readable without having read the earlier parts of the Ultramarines trilogy? The synopsis sounds kinda fun with Iron Warriors sieging each other, and I did read the first Honsou book.

Dead Sun, Black Sky talk (from earlier)

I read this omnibus in order a lifetime ago, and I swear when I started this book I had no clue what the hell was going on.

My memory is not reliable, but all I remember from how the story goes is a chaos train (!) rolls into reality like the loving kool-aid man, says "get in, losers! It's chaosing time", Captain Genericus says "the codex does not support this but my duty is clear" and for some reason two Ultramarines go on a train ride to some kind of fever dream world. I had no idea WTF was going on

Then something about a bunch of reject, skinless space marines is a resistance, one of them is massive like a primarch and OH WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON WITH THOSE SPAWNING METHODS?!?!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Interview with Dan Abnett about concluding the Heresy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w395Z5Uk1f8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah but we’ve already established that Magnus tried to warn Horus when he said the four were telling him “truths wrapped in falsehoods”. They showed Horus the future that happens as a consequence of his rebellion and telling him this was the future he needed to prevent. Tzeentch showing him the emperor in agony on the throne is the exact same lie.

Answer this for me

Have we ever, even once, seen anyone sit on the Golden Throne while it was in operation and not be in apocalyptic agony?