Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FutureCop posted:

It's not out yet, but Rabbit and Steel is an action roguelike that aims to provide a MMO raid experience through bullet-hell mechanics. Could maybe check out their previous title Maiden and Spell.

Maiden & Spell is a very good game and well worth the price if you like bullet hell stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FutureCop posted:

Rabi-Ribi and the more recent TEVI, while being 2D platformers instead of top-down, might fit the bill, being metroidvanias that have a heavy focus on bullet-hell mechanics, gearing up, and bosses with crazy patterns.

Even more so than above, The Knight Witch is a bullet-hell focused metroidvania ARPG: not top-down but you are flying about so it technically is.

It's not out yet, but Rabbit and Steel is an action roguelike that aims to provide a MMO raid experience through bullet-hell mechanics. Could maybe check out their previous title Maiden and Spell.

Not sure what kind of state it's in nowadays, but Realm of the Mad God would be a pretty close fit.

Other than that, some other games that might fit but are a bit different would be The Hammerwatch Series, Wizard of Legend, The Magicka Series, One Step From Eden, CRYPTARK, Voidigo and Holocure.

Thanks for all this; I just tried the Rabbit and Steel demo and yeah that's exactly what I was looking for

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

i3lueHorneT posted:

Any recent recs for Mirror's Edge like movement games?

Ballistic Zen?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Are there any vampire survivor likes that are also like a twin stick shooter instead of attacking being automatic?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reive posted:

Are there any vampire survivor likes that are also like a twin stick shooter instead of attacking being automatic?

Crimsonland
Nova Drift

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Reive posted:

20 Minutes Till Dawn is what you're looking for I think

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Reive posted:

If you’re looking for “shooting” and not control over the direction of your attacks, I’m not sure (although there’s a Vampire Survivor-like thread around here somewhere). But two examples of VS like games that offer that directional control are Holocure (free, very anime) and Rogue: Genesia. They’re both pretty popular.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Brotato also has an option to switch to manual aiming.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

looking for something similar to subnautica/first person fallout vibes, just chilled out exploration with a bit of crafting and a bit of combat? was thinking like slime rancher or something ? i enjoy dark souls kind of things for exploration, but don't know if i want that level of combat intensity around something like lies of p. i guess for the record i'm one of the people who did really enjoy the chill nature of fallout 4

I've played sleeping dogs recently, so don't think that'll fit the bill

edit, i've also done like bloodstained, blasphemous, lone fungus, haiku, those kinds of games. enjoy good exploration stuff to get lost in

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 4, 2024

Reive
May 21, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

20 Minutes Till Dawn is what you're looking for I think

Picked this up and it's basically exactly what I wanted and already itching to play more, thanks!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ilmucche posted:

looking for something similar to subnautica/first person fallout vibes, just chilled out exploration with a bit of crafting and a bit of combat? was thinking like slime rancher or something ? i enjoy dark souls kind of things for exploration, but don't know if i want that level of combat intensity around something like lies of p. i guess for the record i'm one of the people who did really enjoy the chill nature of fallout 4

edit, i've also done like bloodstained, blasphemous, lone fungus, haiku, those kinds of games. enjoy good exploration stuff to get lost in

Eastshade
Umurangi Generation
The Talos Principle
Dying Light 1 (lots of combat)
Northern Journey
Supraland

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

picked up supraland, thanks!

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Maybe Dysmantle. It’s ostensibly a zombie/survival game, but the combat is fairly easy to trivialize, and the gameplay is primarily smash stuff->get materials->improve your gear->smash more stuff, occasionally with a boss fight, tower defense, puzzle thrown, and bits of story thrown in here and there.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Reive posted:

You can set Death Must Die to be this. Same with Hal’s of Torment iirc. Soulstone survivors as well I think. Mob Mania also, and attacking is a bit more involved in that so you’d want to aim manually I think for some characters. In general a lot of these games have the option to disable auto attack/enforce manual aim.

20MTD is the most twin sticky of these tho I think.

tildes fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 6, 2024

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Alright I think I was too specific last time. I'm looking for a game with slowish progression involving developing personal power (like, RPG stats), where you gradually unlock/discover new locations and new skills or mechanics. Especially good if the best way to exploit the newly unlocked places isn't the most obvious one. Bonus points if you wind up leaving the game idle at points to develop skills without any direct intervention needed for minutes at a time.

Runescape fits some of what I'm looking for but it doesn't involve much unlocking or discovery.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 6, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

McFrugal posted:

Alright I think I was too specific last time. I'm looking for a game with slowish progression involving developing personal power (like, RPG stats), where you gradually unlock/discover new locations and new skills or mechanics. Especially good if the best way to exploit the newly unlocked places isn't the most obvious one. Bonus points if you wind up leaving the game idle at points to develop skills without any direct intervention needed for minutes at a time.

Runescape fits some of what I'm looking for but it doesn't involve much unlocking or discovery.

Final Profit: A Shop RPG kind of works like that

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Thank you for mentioning that game, I would have likely never heard of it otherwise. Finally something that might scratch the Recettear itch

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

fez_machine posted:

4+ player co-op is rare but maybe Sven Co-op? Necesse?

Just saying thanks, we did 12 hours of 10-player Necesse and it worked great. Spent a lot of time talking about other games and never got to them...

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

malnourish posted:

Thank you for mentioning that game, I would have likely never heard of it otherwise. Finally something that might scratch the Recettear itch

I want to be very very clear that Final Profit is not an Recettear-like. You do not set prices, you grind materials to upgrade them. You do quests to find customers who behave in the same way every time. It's a grind so number go up narrative puzzle game. The pleasures are pure upgrade = number get larger.

While I haven't played Potionomics or Cusineer, I've heard those are more successful Racettear style games.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

fez_machine posted:

I want to be very very clear that Final Profit is not an Recettear-like. You do not set prices, you grind materials to upgrade them. You do quests to find customers who behave in the same way every time. It's a grind so number go up narrative puzzle game. The pleasures are pure upgrade = number get larger.

While I haven't played Potionomics or Cusineer, I've heard those are more successful Racettear style games.

Thanks, I appreciate the warning. It still looks cool and I'm a fan of incremental games so numbers going up speaks to me.

Haven't heard of Cusineer (Cuisineer?) either, but I'll check that out. I only played potionomics briefly but it didn't grip me

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm almost finished with Dave the Diver and it was great fun but the sole disappointment is I was kind of hoping for more diving: There's only three distinct biomes and they don't really feel that big. I would have happily traded away the whole farming and fish-breeding system for another biome or two of ocean.

Are there any other single-player games that have a focus on descending (or ascending, or sideways! Basically any form of progression into more dangerous/challenging areas) and gathering/hunting through multiple biomes, combined with some other task on the surface level like running a small business or building up a village/habitat that requires it? I've already played Terraria, Subnautica/Zero, Stardew Valley, Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft and Recettear so I'm wracking my brain and coming up short on more.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dome Keeper is a mix of grid based mining for resources and base building and defence using those resources? Sounds exactly like what you're asking for

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pierson posted:

I'm almost finished with Dave the Diver and it was great fun but the sole disappointment is I was kind of hoping for more diving: There's only three distinct biomes and they don't really feel that big. I would have happily traded away the whole farming and fish-breeding system for another biome or two of ocean.

Are there any other single-player games that have a focus on descending (or ascending, or sideways! Basically any form of progression into more dangerous/challenging areas) and gathering/hunting through multiple biomes, combined with some other task on the surface level like running a small business or building up a village/habitat that requires it? I've already played Terraria, Subnautica/Zero, Stardew Valley, Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft and Recettear so I'm wracking my brain and coming up short on more.

SteamWorld Dig 2
Dredge
The Riftbreaker
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Dragon Quest Builders 2

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Hwurmp posted:

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Going to endorse Sakuna. Best (only) rice-growing platformer I've ever played.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can anyone recommend 2D platformers with with good melee combat and level design? PS4/5 or Switch games.

The baseline I'm looking for is something like Megaman Zero or Gunvolt Striker games where you can dash and slice dudes without stopping. No metroidvanias because those are more exploration focused.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

WaltherFeng posted:

Can anyone recommend 2D platformers with with good melee combat and level design? PS4/5 or Switch games.

The baseline I'm looking for is something like Megaman Zero or Gunvolt Striker games where you can dash and slice dudes without stopping. No metroidvanias because those are more exploration focused.

Might not be precisely what you're looking for, but Astral Ascent is a platforming action rogue like that came out a month or two ago. The combat is super fun, lots of movement. Everyone can double jump and has an invulnerable dash. Some spells are definitely dashing + damage type things. Four playable characters, couch co-op as well. Very clearly Hades influenced.

Level design is where it falls off since it's just randomized stuff. Wish it had a demo for you to try. Trailer.

I have it on switch and it works great, smooth. Also on PS.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Oh that looks crazy. Thanks for the tip

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Astral Ascent looks like kind of a successor to Rogue Legacy 2 with some anime on the side, so if you like AA you'll probably like RL2 if you haven't played it already. Though RL2 leans a little Metroidvania for your taste perhaps.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Check out Super Alloy Ranger and Gravity Circuit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

30XX is available on Switch, and is basically a procedurally-generated Mega Man Zero game. The movement should feel very familiar if you've played those.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Pierson posted:

Hear me out - Snowrunner

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

grate deceiver posted:

Hear me out - Snowrunner

I recently tried Mudrunner and it seemed a little... I don't know, one-note? Is Snowrunner more interesting?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

30XX is available on Switch, and is basically a procedurally-generated Mega Man Zero game. The movement should feel very familiar if you've played those.

This one also looks great.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
30XX is a lot of fun, and one of the two starting characters is melee. Also, goon @ateatree will be speedrunning it next Monday at AGDQ 2024.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

WaltherFeng posted:

I second the recommendation for Gravity Circuit: I'm currently playing it and it's a fantastic Megaman Zero-ish game where you can punch the heck outta robos and then pick up their corpses to chuck into other robos, as well as delivering flashy special moves and dashing/grappling around.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
What can I play that’s like The Witness? Or how can I erase my brain to play The Witness again? Does the Talos Principle come anywhere close?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

ohhyeah posted:

What can I play that’s like The Witness? Or how can I erase my brain to play The Witness again? Does the Talos Principle come anywhere close?

The Looker

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ohhyeah posted:

The Looker and Taiji are closer to The Witness; both Talos Principles are fantastic but they're right in between Witness and the Portal games if that makes any sense

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Superliminal and Viewfinder might be slightly in the same ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ohhyeah posted:

Talos Principle is so, so much better than The Witness it’s not even close. At least in my opinion. I played The Witness second and was thoroughly let down by it—it felt to me like a cheap attempt to replicate TTP and failed. I’m not sure I would have felt that way if I had played it first.