Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Takes No Damage posted:

One of mine just realized she can pull open the bathroom cabinets:

Now I gotta get those plastic childproof locking things and install them everywhere? gently caress.

We did that and my cat ripped them off the wall.

You can see one dangling here, it took the paint off with it in a giant patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SerCypher posted:

God gives his toughest battles to his smartest oranges.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

SerCypher posted:

:lol:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

God gives his toughest battles to his smartest oranges.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARFIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLDD!!! :argh:

I was thinking of the kind that clip from the inside, I'd hope they wouldn't be able to get much leverage on those:

Takes No Damage has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Jan 8, 2024

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

There was some news last week that small second hand media shops are experiencing a boom in DVDs since folks are fed up with streaming and eant to own the stuff they like on physical media again. I just loan them from the library. Also proxies and VPNs are almost zero effort to set up and usually make your internet experience better by scrubbing all sorts of tracking and ads for you.

barbecue at the folks has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Jan 8, 2024

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Really? Did they just want to try for market share ahead of rivals regardless of cost?
A problem for especially smaller indie studies are "grey market" key resellers. There's a lot of credit card fraud going on that market, which results in devs getting hosed with chargeback costs.
So if if you don't have the money to buy their game from an official store, they would rather have you pirate it instead of buying from a reseller site.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Atleast with goons I see the same trend.

Started pirating everything.
Then Steam stopped us pirating games.
Then Spotify stopped us pirating music.
Then Netflix stopped us pirating TV/movies.

Now TV/movies are split up between 10+ services, people are starting to pirate again.

It's not about cost, it's about convenience for most.
I'd be happy to pay, I did for a few years when everything was on prime or Netflix. But not when paying is more hassle.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Jan 8, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I never got into streaming myself.

For music theres always alternative ways of paying (like bandcamp, for ex. and of course concerts)

For movies and TV: gently caress paying for that, they make a fuckton of money in their main, rich markets

For games: I usually do pay and use steam, unless its some big AAA title i just want to try

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mega Comrade posted:

Atleast with goons I see the same trend.

Started pirating everything.
Then Steam stopped us pirating games.
Then Spotify stopped us pirating music.
Then Netflix stopped us pirating TV/movies.

Now TV/movies are split up between 10+ services, people are starting to pirate again.

It's not about cost, it's about convenience for most.
I'd be happy to pay, I did for a few years when everything was on prime or Netflix. But not when paying is more hassle.

For me, games are the only one where I haven't hit the high seas again. There's probably a day coming where either a game storefront I use goes under, or one I have games on pulls some shenanigans that adamantly makes me go back to storing everything myself. But for now, Steam and GOG are convenient enough to keep me buying dozens of games I tell myself I'll one day play.

Stuff like Netflix and Prime were really convenient short-term om offering you content you wanted to watch, but the apps and websites are infuriatingly clunkily designed and have little to no customization, probably because they would cause the average user to gently caress their own poo poo up more. Like on my TV, the Netflix app recently started playing stuff in the background with sound if I just pass over it, and I literally can't turn it off. You google the option to turn it off, and you find one, but it's not in my version of the app.

*sighs, unsheathes VPN, clicks url to blank*

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive been on linux for more than 10 years, I dont even have a windows computer anymore. But I do like to play videogames

And what steam did with proton was the best thing to happen to linux gaming probably ever. Now I can play most windows games in steam with little to no hassle, most times it requires no fiddling at all or at most just finding the right proton version

Thats why they get my money. I gave up on GOG because not even their loving launcher/downloader works on linux

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's really just video where pirating is required. Steam still works and music streaming is so much more convenient and better in every way than any piracy solution could possibly be.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
My favorite part of streaming is all the US-based media companies pulling their poo poo from globally-available netflix to put it on their own sandbox, and then not rolling said sandbox out to non-US countries. And then being surprised people pirate their content again.

In EU you also get the fun part of "oh it's available! oh but only in French dub." when looking for shows or movies.

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 11:42 on Jan 8, 2024

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Streaming music is ~fine~ unless you want to listen to obscure artists like Neil Young or there are giant holes in an artist's discography where certain albums are supposed to be. Or you live in Europe and certain tracks on the albums are just greyed out for some reason.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

greazeball posted:

Streaming music is ~fine~ unless you want to listen to obscure artists like Neil Young or there are giant holes in an artist's discography where certain albums are supposed to be. Or you live in Europe and certain tracks on the albums are just greyed out for some reason.

I'm in the US and I work in manufacturing so my cell reception is trash all day long from the metal-clad building I'm in. That's why I was paying for Youtube Music so I could download albums (and not have ads). I had a bunch of little problems with it and was souring on it for a while, then every single MF Doom album I had downloaded were made unavailable overnight one day. Like, I had them downloaded locally but they stopped appearing in the app's album listings.

I cancelled my subscription.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Takes No Damage posted:

Like to imagine them having to bleep out swearing in this one.

Hmmmmmmm,

Orangutans have famously filthy mouths

Also when I want to watch a movie or show I check if it’s on Amazon or Netflix, the two streaming services I subscribe to. If it isn’t I fire up the vpn

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I ended up just getting a hidive and crunchyroll sub because it's a lot easier to just go watch it on the TV with the app than it is trying to find the right edition of the download for subtitles or English dubs.

Bailed off Netflix when they were starting that "we know we said sharing accounts was awesome and we loved it but now we want money" bullshit.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Takes No Damage posted:

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARFIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLDD!!! :argh:

I was thinking of the kind that clip from the inside, I'd hope they wouldn't be able to get much leverage on those:

We had those.

Fat gently caress pulled the cabinet as much as he could and bent them down to where they hardly latch and he can shove his shoulders in the gap and it pops open.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I had a collection of thousands of mp3s 20 years ago, and that collection is still around and has grown to hundreds of thousands. Every song properly tagged, sorted and rated.

If a band i like releases an album, I will buy the digital version and add to my collection. Then it is mine forever to listen to.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Schaden in that my manager called me into her office this morning to tell me to get my résumé together. Supremely awful timing to be out of a job. Just had major plumbing work done, had to buy new tires, daughter qualified for an expensive school trip, water damage in my house, etc.

See, we had start-of-the-year surveys. I did what I always do on surveys and told them they don’t pay me enough. I guess they finally heard it enough times.

So anyway after a few minutes of talking she told me HR wants my résumé to evaluate how big of a raise they can give me before the merit raises happen this year. Nice of her to not lead the conversation with that bit.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Did you think it was Friday? That's the shitcanning day

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I fire people on Monday myself.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Master Twig posted:

I had a collection of thousands of mp3s 20 years ago, and that collection is still around and has grown to hundreds of thousands. Every song properly tagged, sorted and rated.

If a band i like releases an album, I will buy the digital version and add to my collection. Then it is mine forever to listen to.

Same except I dont rate

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/5ss7f7A.mp4

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

Did you think it was Friday? That's the shitcanning day

I work at a hospital. Weeks don’t exist and days are just days

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I buy games through Steam but I have a couple major studios I have blacklisted, like Ubisoft and EA. If they produce something worth looking at I would test drive it before giving those fuckers a dime. Fortunately, they produce absolute garbage so I never have to buy OR pirate anything!

I think the last Ubisoft title I paid money for (at like 90% off in a Steam Winter sale) was The Crew in 2017 (for a 2014 title) and they just de-listed it to shut down the servers (and it's always-online for single player, of course, because gently caress you that's why), essentially stealing my money. I mean, I played 3 hours of it total and never looked at it again because it sucked, but it still makes me mad that they're rug-pulling. There should be a law that you can't yoink server support for always-on single player games without some sort of patch that allows offline play.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Steam will give you a no questions asked refund if you played the game for less than an hour or so.

I got a spite refund for $2 Meat Boy Forever because it was garbage that had nothing that made the original game fun.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

One hour on a AAA game isn't enough time to know if it's good since the tutorial phase usually lasts about 3 hours. That first hour lets you determine if the game actually runs well enough on your machine.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I fire people on Monday myself.
I fire people on Thursdays so they appreciate the three-day weekend.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I fire people on Tuesdays. For them, the day they get fired is the most important day of their lives. But for me, it's a Tuesday.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

On the topic of piracy, the creator of Slay the Princess is okay with it if you pirate their game if that means you get to experience it yourself first rather than watching someone else's playthrough.

quote:

"If $ is an issue, pirate it and buy a copy later when you have money if you liked it!"

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m still pissed that I spent 14 months coding a game called Tony Cock’s Pro Skeeter and then found out that game already existed and someone else was making my money

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Scratch Monkey posted:

Orangutans have famously filthy mouths

Also when I want to watch a movie or show I check if it’s on Amazon or Netflix, the two streaming services I subscribe to. If it isn’t I fire up the vpn

I have an Amazon Prime subscription only because they took over a Netflix-lookalike DVD by mail service here in Germany a few years ago.
Yesterday they sent me a notification that "some" movies on Prime will get ads soon. As soon as I see the first one, I'll cancel and look for something else.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Zopotantor posted:

I have an Amazon Prime subscription only because they took over a Netflix-lookalike DVD by mail service here in Germany a few years ago.
Yesterday they sent me a notification that "some" movies on Prime will get ads soon. As soon as I see the first one, I'll cancel and look for something else.

This is cable TV all over again. We'll never learn.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Another move they made that bugs me is that some TV shows that used to be watchable with Prime or purchasable otherwise, they just completely moved to the free-with-ads channel and disabled purchasing. You can't even pay Amazon money to not watch ads on those ones now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This is cable TV all over again. We'll never learn.

Honestly, this is worse than cable tv at this point. At least cable you have one payment, one "app", one place to go for everything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Commercial skipping is also much easier than DVRs than streaming clients

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
would like to take a moment to rep the Criterion Channel which, granted, appeals primarily to insufferable film dweebs but so far has no commercials or other related bullshit

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Honestly, this is worse than cable tv at this point. At least cable you have one payment, one "app", one place to go for everything.

Negative. Cable is notorious for locking poo poo behind package deals you don't want and is more expensive right off the hop before you start putting extra channels on.
At least that's how it was the last time I looked at cable packages 20+ years ago.

These days I just pay for two or three services at a time and bounce around as new poo poo comes out. $20-$40/mo instead of $60-$100.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
also, pretend I posted a gif of the Cinco Urinal Shower janitor saying "Commercial? gently caress YOU commercial!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Adblock makes ad-infested tubi and Amazon content ad-free (for now)