Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Murgos posted:

Anyone here familiar with the family ski scene in Vermont/NH? I'm trying to plan our presidents week ski trip (T-Th) and having trouble deciding where to go.

Background is that my Wife doesn't ski and my kids are 10 and 11 and have been doing lessons at Nashoba and, this year, Wachusett and last year we did two days at Waterville Valley. So, the kids were pretty comfortable on all the Waterville Blue's last year despite the horrendous conditions but hated the one black we tried to the point that they are still worried about it. To be fair it was so icy that the slope looked like it was strewn with corpses from all the people who had fallen and we were forced into it because the blue trail we wanted turned out to be closed after we had committed.

I have no other experience in the area other than a trip to sugarbush before the kids were born.

Anyway, mostly debating either Okemo or Killington. Killington seems to get good marks generally because it's huge and theres good maintenance but Okemo seems kind of ideal because it seems that even most of it's blacks would be solid blue's somewhere else and it's still got a lot of trails even if not as much as Killington.

It's kind of important that the mountain be pretty well laid out and marked since I really don't want to end up with a situation where someone makes a wrong turn and ends up at a different base especially as its just me skiing with them and my understanding is that Killington is pretty confusing sometimes.

So, at the moment I am leaning pretty heavily toward Okemo. Any thoughts or strong opinions on this choice? If someone thinks neither of these is a good choice then that would be interesting too.

For your specific needs, Okemo is a better option. Okemo is an easier mountain to get around with friendlier terrain for beginners. It’s also less icy than killington on the trails you would be running. Both are going to be mobbed that weekend though prepare for lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Easiest places in VT for kids are probably Okemo & Mount Snow. Killington does have a lot of mellow runs you can do, but it is bigger and a more confusing layout.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Great thanks for the reply's. Okemo it is!

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I'd also consider looking at Smuggler's Notch as they're a really great family resort. Their lifts are older/slower than what you'd find at Okemo, though I think it's got more charm. Local town is not quite as built up as Ludlow though.

Killington and Sugarbush both have more variation in their rating systems within the resort which makes it a bit trickier to get around for a newcomer, though I'm always partial to the Bush as that's my home mountain.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A bit late but dawn patrol season has arrived

Only hit 3 rocks on the way down.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

I'd also consider looking at Smuggler's Notch as they're a really great family resort.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind for next year. The kids seem to be having a great time skiing the last couple of years so I'm hoping to start branching out more as they get older. Heck, I might even start considering day trips since there's several places within about 2 - 2.5 hours which isn't unreasonable given 9am open and 4pm close for most resorts.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

A bit late but dawn patrol season has arrived

Only hit 3 rocks on the way down.

Nice.

Do your skis look like my board?

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Pumped for this pnw storm! Solid 2”-3” in a couple hours up at Snoqualmie this morning

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

spwrozek posted:

Nice.

lol nice

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Kirkwood was delightful yesterday. They got a foot on Saturday and opened the backside on Sunday for the first time this season. Which line you taking?? I went between the two big rocks :)

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

fletcher posted:

Kirkwood was delightful yesterday. They got a foot on Saturday and opened the backside on Sunday for the first time this season. Which line you taking?? I went between the two big rocks :)

Left off the chair, over the wave, down through the trees on the boundary. Kirkwood’s a real gem, I miss that.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ought ten posted:

Left off the chair, over the wave, down through the trees on the boundary. Kirkwood’s a real gem, I miss that.

It was fun over there! I did maybe 4-5 runs before my legs gave out. It was tough at the bottom of that side, so easy to get stuck in the pow!

This thing surprised the hell out of me, I went right over it. It looked so much bigger in person than it does in the pic!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Always bigger than they look. Is that the big lump pretty close to the lift line? There are a few good/bad drops back there.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ought ten posted:

Always bigger than they look. Is that the big lump pretty close to the lift line? There are a few good/bad drops back there.

Yup that one is pretty close to the lift line. Lots of fun back there! I ended up ordering a Fish 3D for the powder days. Now it's time to pray to the weather gods.

One of the lift rides up there was a group of 6 ski patrol at the big rock under the lift, I think it's called Hollywood? I think they were doing some training, adjusting the ropes and tightening the pad on the lift support. One of the patrollers tipped over and fell into the powder, much to the delight of everybody watching them from the lift. The lead patroller had a good laugh and told them everybody needs to be nice to the new guys

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Nice.

Nope! a little scraped up and some edge roughness but the Moments have been very sturdy for me.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Are people really lining up for Whistler at 4:30 am?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I just saw a video where at the start during their little getting to the hill setup clips there were several people scraping wax off their gear in the parking lot (including the YouTube man).
Is this a thing? Why is this a thing? Wax shavings are trash and just because some wax is transferred to the environment during the act doesn't mean you should be dropping 10x that amount for the freshest base or whatever.

I guess I shouldn't expect environmental stewardship to rank as high in the conscience of skiers and snowboarders as some other sports but the fact that people post littering montages at the start of their videos without ridicule is amazing to me.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah they can go to a hardware store and get a bucket for like $10. It's not that hard to keep things clean.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Unfortunately I see people scraping their bases all the time in the lot. It's just lovely behavior from people that don't want to dirty up their house or garage but are fine littering in the lot.

Most of them probably have a Leave No Trace sticker on their water bottle or Subaru too.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Unfortunately I see people scraping their bases all the time in the lot. It's just lovely behavior from people that don't want to dirty up their house or garage but are fine littering in the lot.

Most of them probably have a Leave No Trace sticker on their water bottle or Subaru too.

They wax at home and then scrape in the lot? Or they’re doing a whole wax job at the car? I’ve never witnessed this phenomenon.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

It's me lol I'm the guy who used to scrape my board in the lot. There's no comfortable, non-awkward way to scrape in the lot though, so eventually I got a tarp to put on the floor at home which made cleanup way easier than laying newspaper down and having the shavings still go everywhere.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mammoth is supposed to get 3 inches of snow. From the looks of the cams that will be very much underselling it. poo poo looks like a full on blizzard. 70mph winds don't help

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Kirkwood supposed to get 17" today and 27" on Saturday.

I'm driving up Friday night. My Fish 3D is getting delivered tomorrow. Lets fuckin gooooo

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Interested in hearing what y'alls favorite mid-layer is for 15-30f days? I'm thinking about swapping around how I typically do things and would love some additional perspective.

Or generally just what your best in slot layers are?

I generally wear this:

Base (against skin): Icebreaker longsleeve merino 260 top, Smartwool intraknit merino bottoms
Mid: Patagonia R1 pull-over (added this last year and it's amazing, should have gotten one years ago)
Outer: Arc'teryx Rush shell & some old Nike pants that do the job.

The R1 is great as a mid layer but I think I want to add primaloft or fleece type jacket for an additional option on colder days. I've worn a Patagonia down sweater jacket on cold days before but it's not ideal as it's natural down. I'm considering maybe a nano puff or an Atom LT but would love to know if people have other favorite mid layers. It'd definitely see more use just wearing around town in wet PNW winters than it would see on the slopes but fleeces are always highly versatile regardless.

I'm also thinking it's time to get some bibs to replace the old pants which still work fine most days but don't shed water like they used to when it's warmer but I've never owned bibs so not really sure where to start on that front.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Palisades inbounds avalanche with at least one fatality

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Math You posted:

I just saw a video where at the start during their little getting to the hill setup clips there were several people scraping wax off their gear in the parking lot (including the YouTube man).
Is this a thing? Why is this a thing? Wax shavings are trash and just because some wax is transferred to the environment during the act doesn't mean you should be dropping 10x that amount for the freshest base or whatever.

I guess I shouldn't expect environmental stewardship to rank as high in the conscience of skiers and snowboarders as some other sports but the fact that people post littering montages at the start of their videos without ridicule is amazing to me.

Go to the start of a ski race and watch people scrape their skis on the hill. At least it’s not fluoro anymore.

MMD3 posted:

Interested in hearing what y'alls favorite mid-layer is for 15-30f days? I'm thinking about swapping around how I typically do things and would love some additional perspective.

I generally wear this:

Base (against skin): Icebreaker longsleeve merino 260 top, Smartwool intraknit merino bottoms
Mid: Patagonia R1 pull-over (added this last year and it's amazing, should have gotten one years ago)

The R1 is great as a mid layer but I think I want to add primaloft or fleece type jacket for an additional option on colder days. I've worn a Patagonia down sweater jacket on cold days before but it's not ideal as it's natural down. I'm considering maybe a nano puff or an Atom LT but would love to know if people have other favorite mid layers. It'd definitely see more use just wearing around town in wet PNW winters than it would see on the slopes but fleeces are always highly versatile regardless.

I'm also thinking it's time to get some bibs to replace the old pants which still work fine most days but don't shed water like they used to when it's warmer but I've never owned bibs so not really sure where to start on that front.

I’d go nano air over nano puff; more breathable. If you want warmer, micro puff over nano puff.

Time posted:

Yeah, it doesn’t sound good. First couple runs on KT of the season, I’m guessing there was a big failure on the PWL

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

MMD3 posted:

I generally wear this:

I do Atom LT over R1 in the same conditions you're describing, works fine and lots of flexibility for dropping insulation when it's warmer than expected. The R1 will be the warmer of the two once you've put some wear into the Atom.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Time posted:

drat, that sounds bad

I just got back from a few days at Snowmass. I hadn't been there in 15-20 years and it is a great mountain. Absolutely massive, with tons of varied terrain, but also really easy to navigate. Based on the ski maps, I thought it was gonna be a lot smaller but most of the lifts are super long highspeed quads/6s.

They're supposed to be getting a ton of snow this weekend, which it does need since I was dodging rocks and twigs in a lot of places. But I can't wait to get back sometime in the future

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MMD3 posted:

I generally wear this:

My two midlayers are an R2 zip up fleece and a micro puff with hood. The fleece is good for me from around 20-35F, below that I use the puff and above I drop the midlayer all together. The micro puff gets a ton of use off the hill too since it's so light and packable.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 10, 2024

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ploots posted:

I do Atom LT over R1 in the same conditions you're describing, works fine and lots of flexibility for dropping insulation when it's warmer than expected. The R1 will be the warmer of the two once you've put some wear into the Atom.

What's your base layer?

Good to know they work well together

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
longsleeve and wicking, whatever is on top of the pile of running shirts.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Time posted:

Yikes just saw a pic on instagram and it's terrifying

but knowing instagram it's probably from Turkey in like 2017

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This year I have been using Trew lightweight nuyarn based layers, the backcountry MTN Air EVOLVE Hooded Jacket for my mid (this this is pretty sick), I toss a nano puff on at around 5f. I wear bibs (Trewth or capow) and a Stio Raymer jacket.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I picked up a cheap GoPro for my upcoming Niseko trip. Skiers, is it better to get a ski-pole mount for it or just get a telescoping pole that's just use for the GoPro. I also have a helmet mount already but I figure it'll be nice to do the pole angle sometimes too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If it's like 15f I'd probably wear my light eddie bauer puffy (I think they're called microtherms) over a merino base layer, and then some fleece pants under my shell bibs. I bought some new stuff this year and probably should have just gotten an insulated jacket since I tend to get cold riding lifts, plus I already have a lighter weight shell i use touring.

Anyway that microtherm deal is not that expensive and makes a really good midlayer for colder days. I should probably get a replacement because mine is getting pretty beat. I did also get one of these mainly to use as a midlayer riding lifts. Has been a fairly nice light casual jacket and does fit under my touring shell too. But when I'm walking uphill I usually bring my OR ascensionist(?) that's made with polartec alpha and has a hood. I'm wearing that thing out too. If it's cold I can wear it on the uphills, if it's warm i might just use that as my outer layer when I get to the top.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 11, 2024

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
My equipment is not super specialized, but it's comfortable and I use it for basically anything outdoors. I layer a merino wool base top and pants + Atom LT + Alpha FL. Cerium LT in the backpack.

But I do wear a hemisphere bib because the jacket is too short to keep snow out otherwise.

The Atom LT is hella worn and has lost a ton of loft. Even worse because I just wear it casually because PNW lol. I also wear the Cerium LT casually, but that thing has basically the same loft as when I bought it 7 years ago. The water resistance on both is gone though despite using the fancy soaps.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 11, 2024

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

kiimo posted:

Yikes just saw a pic on instagram and it's terrifying

but knowing instagram it's probably from Turkey in like 2017

Nah, the crown was 10 ft high and it ran like 450 ft. It's a loving massive, terrifying slide. It displaced about 675,000 cubic feet of snow with a weight of roughly 13.5 million pounds.

For reference, by weight that's about the average weight of a freight train or, oddly enough, 120 acres of aspen trees.

The Glumslinger posted:

drat, that sounds bad

I just got back from a few days at Snowmass. I hadn't been there in 15-20 years and it is a great mountain. Absolutely massive, with tons of varied terrain, but also really easy to navigate. Based on the ski maps, I thought it was gonna be a lot smaller but most of the lifts are super long highspeed quads/6s.

They're supposed to be getting a ton of snow this weekend, which it does need since I was dodging rocks and twigs in a lot of places. But I can't wait to get back sometime in the future

I consider myself very lucky to be a 30 minute drive from all four of the mountains. It's a pretty magical place

Eejit fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 11, 2024

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

Nah, the crown was 10 ft high and it ran like 450 ft. It's a loving massive, terrifying slide. It displaced about 675,000 cubic feet of snow with a weight of roughly 13.5 million pounds.

For reference, by weight that's about the average weight of a freight train or, oddly enough, 120 acres of aspen trees.

I consider myself very lucky to be a 30 minute drive from all four of the mountains. It's a pretty magical place

I haven’t seen photos, but I don’t think the crown was 10 feet high. I believe the debris after the slide was 10 feet deep. It’s fairly low tide here, I don’t think anywhere in the area, let alone lower on the ski resort on KT, has a 10 foot base right now. Maybe higher up in some extremely wind loaded local spots.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Got there this afternoon to get some laps while kids did ski team.

You can see the crown here just below the top of the chairlift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Idk I was just word vomiting the article I read