Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

knox_harrington posted:

I think that's about as badly as that could have gone

Nah, you could have had old Club World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Pretty smooth holiday travel season this year compared to last.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you wanted to buy a non carry-on bag for occasional use, any thoughts on a good option? Maybe some cheap hard sided thing?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We've bought several hard case plastic Samsonite 10 year warranty things (2+ sets) since 2021. We left some luggage on a plane during a connection and I accidentally mailed it to my MIL's neighbor and I guess my wife needed luggage for a trip (she travels ~2x a month for work) and bought more

Anyways I dunno if my wife is just really rough on luggage* but I think literally all of it needs to go in for warranty repair already for different things. I guess on the plus side we can just swap it out at a dealer but usually the dealer is in an airport (too busy), or at one of those crazy outlet places with never enough parking that's like an hour from anything we need to go to

That said, after decades of being too cheap to pay for checked luggage, being able to just stuff literally everything in a bag or two and it shows up on the other end, especially with a toddler :tviv: total game changer

Me: here's my checked luggage
Bag check lady: oh it's over the limit
Me: I know
Check lady: if you drop 10lbs you don't have to pay the fee
Me: here's my card
Her: are you sure it's $15 extra
Me: please take my card

*Apparently dropped it down the up escalator from the very top, which resulted in a Mr Bean style cinematic sequence where it was falling/sliding down at about the rate the escalator was going up. This was in one of those countries where the airport has a bunch of guys in black visibly holding submachine guns. That was a good day

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 28, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

smackfu posted:

If you wanted to buy a non carry-on bag for occasional use, any thoughts on a good option? Maybe some cheap hard sided thing?

I have this set and it's been extremely useful in both my pre-pandemic road-dog era and my current "only travel for vacations once a year or so" era.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got a Samsonite S'cure (awful name) hard shell case which was pretty cheap and has been robust. It has good dividers and straps to keep things held down, less good than a Tumi but then also 1/6 the cost. It's not exactly a thing of beauty but who cares, and it doesn't bother me if it gets bashed up.

The only downside is it is pretty popular so avoid getting a black one and/or put something identifying on it. I need to get some stickers or something.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

I have this set and it's been extremely useful in both my pre-pandemic road-dog era and my current "only travel for vacations once a year or so" era.

Oh nice, the red color is perfect for my wife.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wouldn’t trust Samsonite stuff to hold up to remotely heavy use (see: Hadlock’s wife - get that lady an actually good bag) but for the intended occasional use case it should be fine and is a relative bargain.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the build quality of Samsonite is great for like, delivering all your family's stuff from your house to Disney world once a year and never using it the rest of the year. Or doing that 12 day trip across Europe by train you always dreamed of. And then never using it again. It will totally hold up to that

A dozen overseas international trips a year plus 12-15 multi leg domestic cross country trips and it's literally coming apart at the seams. Plus personal travel. I only bought it at Thanksgiving 2022.

Actually only half that since we bought a second set of Samsonite in like March 2023 and that stuff is already falling apart too

Gonna get our money's worth out of the warranty at least twice to try and recoup the cost and then start shopping for luggage that is actually luggage

I have a giant sheet of 2mm aluminum in the garage and a bead roller plus rivet gun. Occasionally I see ads for stuff like this and get romantic ideas about making my own haliburton luggage but then I realize I don't have time for that

Edit thumbnail that image

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 28, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the build quality of Samsonite is great for like, delivering all your family's stuff from your house to Disney world once a year and never using it the rest of the year. Or doing that 12 day trip across Europe by train you always dreamed of. And then never using it again. It will totally hold up to that

A dozen overseas international trips a year plus 12-15 multi leg domestic cross country trips and it's literally coming apart at the seams. Plus personal travel. I only bought it at Thanksgiving 2022.

Actually only half that since we bought a second set of Samsonite in like March 2023 and that stuff is already falling apart too

Gonna get our money's worth out of the warranty at least twice to try and recoup the cost and then start shopping for luggage that is actually luggage

I have a giant sheet of 2mm aluminum in the garage and a bead roller plus rivet gun. Occasionally I see ads for stuff like this and get romantic ideas about making my own haliburton luggage but then I realize I don't have time for that

Edit thumbnail that image

Please do it and post the results

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
DIY suitcase content is extremely my poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At what point do you just pack your clothes in a pelican case?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: pelican

REI sells some extremely high quality soft travel bags, or at least did

I took my severance pay in 2008/9 bought an REI ~45-50 liter travel "backpack" (emphasis on travel, not a super lightweight wilderness hiking backpack) and went across south america for three months. I think I've traveled full time with it, cumulatively for two years at this point if you factor in holidays and camping/outdoor activities

Still today it's my primary travel bag it's made from heavy weight cordoba nylon and the beefiest zippers I've ever come across (and I have a buddy with a Patagonia/north face bag fetish) it's never torn or given me grief. It's got a sheet of HDPE (milk carton plastic?) in the back to give it some structure but otherwise it's just squishable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Patagonia black hole bags are rad if you’re looking for A Big Sack with some straps.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I got the Patagonia Maximum Legal Carryon 45L duffel for when I don’t want a wheelie bag. It’s got a comfortable cross strap and handles. It can be rough on the lower back (I’m old) if you’re standing a lot but sometimes I just don’t want to deal with a wheelie bag.

I’ve been eyeing that gimmicky Solgaard but haven’t convinced myself to pull the trigger yet (I love gimmick bags).

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

At what point do you just pack your clothes in a pelican case?

Business Travel: At what point do you just pack your clothes in a pelican case?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there like, a travel delay forecast somewhere

Like, if my wife is traveling from Boston to California on Tuesday, what are the chances I'm going to be solo parenting on Wednesday (an entire extra day) because snowpocalypse 2024 is happening on a Monday and going to gently caress up flights for 48+ hours, as a hypothetical example

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

Like, if my wife is traveling from Boston to California on Tuesday, what are the chances I'm going to be solo parenting on Wednesday (an entire extra day) because snowpocalypse 2024 is happening on a Monday and going to gently caress up flights for 48+ hours, as a hypothetical example

You got this dad!

I don't think something like this exists beyond flight aware, but they don't really tell you days out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I halfway remember the weather channel offering something like that before IBM bought and destroyed them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Your best bet is a combo of just watching the weather and stay on top of where the incoming aircraft is coming from.

They can always change equipment and the weather can change, it’s really hard to predict.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Blerg. What does flight aware have the was referenced in passing?

Seems like any third party weather site that gains any kind of traction gets bought by either oh. Duopoly AccuWeather or weather channel. Last break out was dark skies. I guess purple air is still independent... For now

Residency Evil posted:

You got this dad!

I haven't been keeping close track but I know off the top of my head I did at least 30 days solo parenting last year and would not surprise me if the total number was like 60 for all of 2023. On the plus side we're cycling all those points into some excellent travel

I have significantly more respect now for single parents than I did three years ago

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The videos from the 737 max blowout are wild. Apparently that specific plane had had some pressurization issues before and so I think the seats directly around that area not being occupied was intentional. Super lucky this happened at a lower altitude.

E: to the guy above looking for flight delays, all Boeing 737 max 9s are grounded so things are gonna be a little tricky

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

taco show posted:

The videos from the 737 max blowout are wild. Apparently that specific plane had had some pressurization issues before and so I think the seats directly around that area not being occupied was intentional. Super lucky this happened at a lower altitude.

E: to the guy above looking for flight delays, all Boeing 737 max 9s are grounded so things are gonna be a little tricky

Also, apparently for some reason, the black box they recovered has no data.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I heard it wrote over the data due to not being recovered soon enough or something like that on NPR this morning.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SpeedFreek posted:

I heard it wrote over the data due to not being recovered soon enough or something like that on NPR this morning.

Yeah CVRs have a limited memory that's constantly being overwritten and if there isn't some kind of event that causes it to stop overwriting data, it won't stop doing that.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Do CVRs record while the plane is not being operated? That does make sense though actually. How long does data last before its overwritten?

Edit: only two hours! That is much less than I expected

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 8, 2024

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

taco show posted:

My wife is scheduled on direct united flights in 10 days on a 737-9 with return on the 21st on another 737-9. MCO-CLE-MCO. I assume they’ll still be grounded by then. Does that sound accurate? She’s gotten no info or anything from united, so I’m assuming they’ll do a switcheroo with the plane, or cancel it and book her on connecting flights through a hub somewhere. If so, when should we expect them to notify her of the change?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
They're clearing planes to fly again already. I wouldn't sweat it.

turbulents
Jul 11, 2004
jump on it.
So this might seem a bit nitpicky but there's no such thing as a 737-9... we would need to know whether you meant the 737 MAX 9 vs the 737-900 because they aren't the same thing. I see 737-900s on that route so if she's booked on one of those, nothing changes because the 737-900 isn't affected by this issue, only the 737 MAX 9.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FunOne posted:

They're clearing planes to fly again already. I wouldn't sweat it.
Wow, that was fast, didn’t expect that.

turbulents posted:

So this might seem a bit nitpicky but there's no such thing as a 737-9... we would need to know whether you meant the 737 MAX 9 vs the 737-900 because they aren't the same thing. I see 737-900s on that route so if she's booked on one of those, nothing changes because the 737-900 isn't affected by this issue, only the 737 MAX 9.

Ahh ok, you’re right it does say 737-900 in the app. I didn’t realize the 737-900 and 737 MAX 9 were different planes. Thanks for the clarification!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Cacafuego posted:

Ahh ok, you’re right it does say 737-900 in the app. I didn’t realize the 737-900 and 737 MAX 9 were different planes. Thanks for the clarification!

I was just reading wikipedia about this as well. what a poor naming scheme. Although, does anyone actually cancel/change flights based on the plane? I gotta get to the thing, the plane type is low on my list of must haves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737#737_MAX_10
code:
737 NG (third generation)
737-600
737-700
737-800
737-900

737 MAX (fourth generation)
737 MAX 7
737 MAX 8
737 MAX 9
737 MAX 10

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

deong posted:

Although, does anyone actually cancel/change flights based on the plane?

Lots of people did after the crashes in 2018 before the type was grounded globally.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Hadlock posted:

Blerg. What does flight aware have the was referenced in passing?

MiseryMap?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mandalay posted:

MiseryMap?

:tviv: that's very cool. Even cooler when I realized you can mouse over each airport

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DTW fell apart tonight. My parents missed their flight to FLL for a cruise, and my early AM flight from SEA-DTW got cancelled; I’m assuming because the inbound plane never left DTW. Got bumped to the 11AM which is a bummer; no FC and I’ll miss the Wings game that night.

At least SEA seems to have missed its snowmaggedon…

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I was a part of that poo poo show. Sat on a plane on the tarmac for 7 hours. Brought us back to the gate. Deplaned. Gate assignment pinging back and forth each end of a terminal for 3 hours. Re-board finally and ready to push back. Crew times out before ground crew could get us out. Flight cancelled.

What a delight!

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Delta's latest call says corp travel is at 90% of 2019. Are you guys experiencing this? My experience has been not close at all to this, that corp travel is still significantly down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

We’re at 100%+ vs 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

i fly airplanes posted:

Delta's latest call says corp travel is at 90% of 2019. Are you guys experiencing this? My experience has been not close at all to this, that corp travel is still significantly down.

Quite a few of the former executives at my former company have gone back to monthly regional travel but everyone on the tech side still works from home. Personally, I'm surprised business travel has rebounded so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

i fly airplanes posted:

I'm at well above 2019 but I'm also doing business development for a small business instead of working for a giant corporation.