Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm somehow not too worried, oddly enough. His cut/slash approach has gotten him loved by the money people early on because it help manage debt but their stock prices have plummeted since he took over. They're half what they were when he took control. Both Warner and Paramount stock slide 4% just at the mention this deal could be happening. Normally, mergers raise the value of stock! There seems to be some insider agreement that, while it might be making the purse bigger now, that he's setting himself up for failure and the money people smell blood in the water. He won't cede control without a fight, but, as he further alienates creatives and almost lose them flagship directors in dumb business moves, he's making money people nervous about his long-term prospects. He is on top of Warner today, but I feel this will be like Chapek where his position isn't as permanent as doomers would have you think.

tl;dr the metrics suggest money people know Zslav's policies won't make them money in the long run and that means he might get ousted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My daughter and I marathoned Hilda S3 yesterday. What a great show. I love the magic and fantasy that doesn't quite fit in with what people in the US think when they hear those two words. And the sense of adventure, things like how Hilda and her friends routinely leap over high places, can literally launch themselves from the atmosphere and land safely on those Woff things without shattering bones, etc. (Okay, the show gets a little carried away with how many times someone falls only to be saved by a passing Woff or someone else.)

Just a really smart show. Last Christmas I got my daughter the book that's basically a guide to all the mythical creatures and she loves it and wants there to be another with the creatures from this season. The book follows the show, not the graphic novels.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly I feel like they could keep Hilda going if they wanted to (the season was much shorter than the previous two for some reason and they didn’t really have time to go deeper into some of the new characters they introduced) and while the show could have easily ended with the movie (which I believe was an adaptation of the last graphic novel ever released) it was still a decent sendoff nonetheless

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

LifeLynx posted:

My daughter and I marathoned Hilda S3 yesterday. What a great show. I love the magic and fantasy that doesn't quite fit in with what people in the US think when they hear those two words. And the sense of adventure, things like how Hilda and her friends routinely leap over high places, can literally launch themselves from the atmosphere and land safely on those Woff things without shattering bones, etc. (Okay, the show gets a little carried away with how many times someone falls only to be saved by a passing Woff or someone else.)

Just a really smart show. Last Christmas I got my daughter the book that's basically a guide to all the mythical creatures and she loves it and wants there to be another with the creatures from this season. The book follows the show, not the graphic novels.

This one?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i wonder how many books that say "netflix" or STREAMINGPLATFORM will outlive their streaming platform.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If you SEESOmething, say nothing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pretty sure that's it without looking at her bookshelf, yeah. I also got her a couple of Twig plush animals.

Seeing the Netflix branding reminded me that Chi's Sweet Adventure was another charming show. Its second season was never dubbed, but I think she's old enough now that she can handle subtitles. We read all the Chi books and some of the author's other cat mangas. They're so accurate to how we imagine a cat would think.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
this is a reply to something from way back, but I found the answer to the other two guys in the group:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Pretty generous spread on both accounts, but as the most emotionally complex turtles... I'll allow it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I will only accept a Raphael who is cool but rude.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I love the bit in Batman vs TMNT where Raphael just comes out and lays out The Same Arc Raphael Has In Every TMNT Thing and tells Batman to get over himself and accept the help.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Junpei posted:

this is a reply to something from way back, but I found the answer to the other two guys in the group:

Mind reposting the first two?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Junpei posted:

I can't take credit for these (tumblr user nosleep83) but I love them anyway so:

drrockso20 posted:

Mind reposting the first two?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Watching a lot of Christmas specials recently since they're on and I'm pretty sure Regular Show still has some of the greatest Xmas episodes of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyMaTuEpfBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EelwEcdauKs

i've been binging through the series and just came across the episode from the first clip. and really can't wait til i get to the episode in the second

drrockso20 posted:

Regular Show's utilization of licensed music is something every TV show crew should be required to study, absolutely masterful at it

normally including licensed music in a series bugs me like 90% of the time, but RS genuinely handles it better than most others

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rewatching Avatar:TLA, and The Blind Bandit is still top 5% cartoon episodes of all time. :allears:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Steamboat Willy-era Mickey Mouse is in the public domain!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Yeah I've seen more than one youtube channel upload the whole thing (unedited) as just a "copyright claim this, bitch" move

I'm sure by this next weekend somebody will announce their "Pooh: Blood & Honey" style tryhard take on it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah while cool I'm not looking forward to the tryhard poo poo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I've seen more than one youtube channel upload the whole thing (unedited) as just a "copyright claim this, bitch" move

I'm sure by this next weekend somebody will announce their "Pooh: Blood & Honey" style tryhard take on it.

No movies yet but at least two games are doing something with Mickey, one is some schlocky horror game, the other Inverse Ninjas vs The Public Domain has already added him as a playable character

Junpei posted:

As is Tigger(specifically the book version)

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

drrockso20 posted:

As is Tigger(specifically the book version)

Finally, I can publish my slashfic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

It’s not a movie but:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Qe85jZhSflk

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
"Mickey Mouse eats Winnie The Pooh's rear end"

OR

"Our Steamboat Willie," where Comrade Mickey Mouse must kill his leech of a boss, Pete, on his mission to kill "Uncle Walt", billionaire owner of the steamboat company, who has kept him and his people enslaved by capital.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wow I figured it'd take at least a day, but I suppose I should've figured some fuckers had stuff locked in the chamber just waiting to go.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s the requisite horror movie:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BO_yCuaXsGQ

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I am instantly suspicious of anyone who uses 88 in their title, and even moreso for a game where you play as an exterminator.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The new TMNT series based on Mutant Mayhem will apparently start in Q3 of this year (so around July-September)

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wonder how the animation will look on a TV budget

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since it’s gonna be on Paramount Plus I’m also curious if it’s gonna last long enough to get the two seasons they’re hoping for

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Show Your Shell? No, thank you, Satan.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah while cool I'm not looking forward to the tryhard poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A second whistling mouse has hit the towers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everyone knows Pete stayed home from work that day.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So it took me almost 2 years of lazy, casual viewing but I finally finished my rewatch of Justice League / Justice League Unlimited. Unsurprisingly very much enjoyed it. I still maintain that it has the best characterization of DC superheroes then pretty much all other DC variations.

I’d also really like to find out what the behind the scenes financial situation was, because pretty much every episode was animated exceptionally well, and seemingly only getting better and more dynamic as the series progressed. I'm sure stuff like that couldn't have come cheap. And JL/JLU didn't do what a lot of action oriented shows, particularly anime, where they dedicate the effort on both of the budget to a small handful of action heavy scenes per episode, and use cheaper animation tricks for the rest. That might be the one thing that surprised me the most on my rewatch. Because there's a LOT of scenes within pretty much every episode where there's a lot going on, fighting choreography, building destructions, explosions, you name it. It was genuinely impressive. and the art style and color schemes they used are just beautiful too. it's legit one of the best animated shows ever imo.

One thing that I always appreciated about the series was how it wasn't afraid to push the envelope and a lot of areas. it was nice to see a kids cartoon not be afraid to be more mature than most of the competition. that being said, I forgot how the shows really took advantage of CN's looser restrictions. I mean there are tons of moments throughout where the writers go really hard. just to give a few examples:

-After Vandal Savage tries to marry princess of another country and killing her father, when he's defeated at the end of the episode, Savage mocks her by saying that he can't die. to which the princess response that it would make it much more enjoyable to torture him forever.
-When Morgaine Le Fey’s son, Mordred wishes for immortality, he manages to get it, but without the added benefit of agelessness. So now he's cursed to grow old and decrepit forever without the ability to die.
-When the sorcerer Faust, attempts to take revenge on Hades for betraying him, he ties him up to have hellish creatures eat his liver/organs everyday like Prometheus. after Faust is defeated by Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl, Hades makes it clear that he'll be returning the favor and will be torturing Faust for eternity.

and I would be remiss if I didn't include probably the best example of all, and it's something that I touched upon a while back in this thread: and that's Darkseid's agony matrix, a concoction so sadistic that borders on comical. seriously I'm trying to imagine how this must have went in the writer's room.

Writer: okay I got this great idea for a trump card for Darkseid in his final, epic battle with Superman!

Producer: Okay, what is it?

Writer: okay it's this thing that I came up with that I call.. the Agony Matrix!

Producer: drat, that sounds badass.

Writer: Right?? anyway so the way this works is that it would activate the pain centers in someone's body to make them experience the worst pain in their life.

Producer: oh wow that does sound pretty brutal.

Writer: oh I'm not done yet.

Producer: Oh, there's more?

Writer: Yeah, so it'll be even worse than that because the agony Matrix activates the pain receptors from every cell in your body.

Producer: Every cell? Like you mean literally every cell?

Writer: yeah

Producer: Okay but you realize that we have like literally.. trillions of those right?

Writer: I'm aware.

Producer: I mean I'm just saying that what you originally described already seemed pretty horrible. this seems like a tad Overkill. but hey if you really want it, we can include…

Writer: Oh one other thing.

Producer: …yes?

Writer: The pain Is also multiplied by a thousand.

Producer: multiplied by a.. thousand?

Writer: Correct. :downs:

Producer: so just so I have this clear.. the agony Matrix will make a person feel the worst pain they've previously ever felt for every pain receptor within trillions and trillions of cells times a thousand?

Writer: Sounds pretty sweet doesn't it?

Producer: Actually yeah it does. :rock:

So yeah I never thought I'd say this for a kid's show but, holy poo poo guys maybe try to tone it down a bit. :psyduck:

anyway overall I think they did a fantastic job. I don't think it's perfect but again what show is. most of the problems that I have are fairly minor quibbles in the grand scheme of things. I will say though that while I do really like the finale and I think they did a pretty good job all things considered, it shouldn't have taken place over the course of one episode. this deserved at least a two-parter. and before anyone corrects me yes I know that this was actually a continuation from the previous episode so technically it was a two-parter. But what I mean is that Darkseid's invasion only lasts one episode. just feels like everything is like wrapped up neat and tidy little too quick.

but yeah amazing series. as I said before, it's the only show from the 2000s that can stand with something like Avatar: The Last Airbender. for anyone that hasn't seen it I highly recommend it.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 13, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Minor nitpicky correction, Mordred already had immortality, he got tricked into turning himself into an adult which broke the eternal youth aspect of his immortality

Also I think the Agony Matrix technically came from the comics, personally though I will always be annoyed that they had to do that almost immediately after the World of Cardboard speech but then I still think they should have just let Superman win through conventional fisticuffs with Darkseid instead of having to do the whole bit with Luthor and the Anti-Life Equation to save the day which both then and now felt like an incredibly underwhelming way to resolve the whole situation(especially when compared to say Flash vs Luthoriac the previous season)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Speaking of children's shows going hard, I always loved Abracadaver in Powerpuff Girls - a Magician who did quite well for himself in the 1920s, only for a little girl who's a bit too curious for her own good to walk on stage and ruin his act, leading to him falling to his death in an Iron Maiden that was intended for one of his illusions. 80 years later, he comes back to life as a zombie with a single goal - kill that girl that destroyed him. The problem is, she's likely already dead from old age. But there is one little girl who happens to resemble her - Blossom. Unlike the other villains who often want something simple like money or power, Abracadaver has a very specific and far grimmer goal in mind - to kill that one person.

Even Him was mostly being playful, more enjoying the game than actually wanting to win for good, the one exception being the bad future when the PPG went missing in time and Him trashed the entire place for a laugh, resulting in the mayor's death.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

I’d also really like to find out what the behind the scenes financial situation was, because pretty much every episode was animated exceptionally well, and seemingly only getting better and more dynamic as the series progressed. I'm sure stuff like that couldn't have come cheap.

Yeah it definitely didn't. I'm pretty sure the producers have said in some interview or another that budget is what forced them to make Green Lantern, the guy who can generate anything with his ring, restricted to mostly using bubbles and plain ol' lasers most of the show, to the point where (in a very meta moment) he gets chastised for it in an episode with another GL, and really only ever goes crazy with it in the episode where he's a kid again.

drrockso20 posted:

Minor nitpicky correction, Mordred already had immortality, he got tricked into turning himself into an adult which broke the eternal youth aspect of his immortality

Also I think the Agony Matrix technically came from the comics, personally though I will always be annoyed that they had to do that almost immediately after the World of Cardboard speech but then I still think they should have just let Superman win through conventional fisticuffs with Darkseid instead of having to do the whole bit with Luthor and the Anti-Life Equation to save the day which both then and now felt like an incredibly underwhelming way to resolve the whole situation(especially when compared to say Flash vs Luthoriac the previous season)

Well Superman already had a good 2 wins vs Darkseid throughout the whole of the DCAU, although I suppose one could argue that that Batman robbed him of one (I mean, they'd be wrong since he totally did win and Darkseid did bite it) and that him winning via omega beam backfire in STAS was a copout (but that has one of the best Darkseid lines ever "here I am God"). ...but I'd agree that the ultimate resolution being Deus Ex Luthor was kind of a lame end to a great conflict (even if Luthor saying he was overqualified for the 12th level intellect test was a good character moment), especially compared to, like you said, the Flash v. Luthoriac fight.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So apparently The Ghost & Molly McGee's second (and apparently final?) season just wrapped up. I really need to get caught up, it was a great show.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 14, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

So apparently The Ghost & Molly McGee's second (and apparently final?) season just wrapped up. I really need to get caught up, it was a great show.

Yeah, based on what I’ve heard about the last episode (which is available for free on the Disney Channel YouTube page) this is a pretty definitive ending to the series. Which is kind of a shame if so but at least it went out while it was ahead

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
agony matrix is bad but I think that alien dream plant thing from Superman's birthday episode was pretty effed up.