Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CelticPredator posted:

He still works in the first film. Everything about it is perfect

But then again I love the trilogy so idk. I’m ill.

Yeah, the original POC trilogy is great. In some ways because it's so flawed and messy and BIG. The Matrix trilogy is the same, and at least they have something to say. Avatar are modern examples of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tbh gore verbinski ftw

You can say whatever you want about him but the man opened a Disney tentpole release with a child getting hung and then proceeded to do weird rear end poo poo for 3 hours like have Davy Jones tentacles destroy a man’s face which is so brutal lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPs9De2vyv4

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

Basebf555 posted:

The lightning in a bottle comment from last page was correct though, because the movie wouldn't have been half of what it became if not for Depp creating the Jack Sparrow character almost single handedly. Without Depp you just have a very well made blockbuster about pirates, and I'm sure it would've been moderately successful but Depp was the one that got word of mouth going and made that movie the biggest hit of the year. Literally nobody else you could possibly cast in the role would've done what Depp did with it.

Oh for sure, lightning in a bottle is right - it wouldn’t be what it is without Depp’s performance.

Agree with the other poster too who said stand-alone sequels would have been better. You could’ve done one about Davy Jones and one about the pirate council vs the east India company. No need for the bloated self-important double-barrelled thing they went with. Should’ve been more careful with the percentage of Depp in the mix too, but I guess with his breakout popularity that was never really on the cards.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Tbh gore verbinski ftw

he needs to get out of movie jail so he can make a sequel to A Cure For Wellness and promptly be put back in movie jail

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh wow he’s still in movie jail. Rip

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't Lone Ranger like ten years ago?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A cure was after. It’s a dope movie too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Gore V should adapt Bad Religion's 21st Century Digital Boy video into a movie

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Casimir Radon posted:

POTC style action scenes are one of the things I really hate about ‘00s and early ‘10s. It’s one thing for Jack Sparrow to bumble through a hazardous situation and come out largely unscathed. Though they were seriously overdoing it even in the next movie. But jamming stuff like that into movies not containing characters with Sparrow’s dumb luck are another thing entirely. There’s never any real peril unless the plot calls for it.

The giant wheel in the second movie, and the maelstrom in the third are just awful.

The worst example of this I can think of is The Hobbit trilogy. In The Lord of the Rings, Legolas does all these unreal gymnastics and sick moves because he’s an elf, and elves can move gracefully with inhuman acrobatics. But in the Hobbit movies, all the oafish clumsy dwarves are constantly doing Legolas poo poo in the action scenes, and it really undercuts the action.

Basebf555 posted:

The lightning in a bottle comment from last page was correct though, because the movie wouldn't have been half of what it became if not for Depp creating the Jack Sparrow character almost single handedly. Without Depp you just have a very well made blockbuster about pirates, and I'm sure it would've been moderately successful but Depp was the one that got word of mouth going and made that movie the biggest hit of the year. Literally nobody else you could possibly cast in the role would've done what Depp did with it.

Depp was deliberately going against Disney’s orders for the character. Higher-ups, including then-CEO Michael Eisner, wanted him to play a trim and clean pirate because they cast teen heartthrob Johnny Depp, but Depp wanted to play the gross and crass Jack Sparrow. When executives would visit the set, he would remove the gross makeup from his teeth, and then immediately put it back on once they left.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Depp was deliberately going against Disney’s orders for the character. Higher-ups, including then-CEO Michael Eisner, wanted him to play a trim and clean pirate because they cast teen heartthrob Johnny Depp, but Depp wanted to play the gross and crass Jack Sparrow. When executives would visit the set, he would remove the gross makeup from his teeth, and then immediately put it back on once they left.

And even then they had to reign him in. I remember that there were reports that Depp put gold caps in ALL of his teeth and had to be talked down into only a couple otherwise it would look terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Yea the man knew that his career was hanging by a thread and said gently caress it I'll do a 2.5 hour long Hammer flick. Thank you Gore Verbinski.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the man knew that his career was hanging by a thread and said gently caress it I'll do a 2.5 hour long Hammer flick. Thank you Gore Verbinski.

It’s also surprisingly gross which is another plus.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

:yeah:

I have it on Blu-Ray, but the last time I watched it was a few years ago. I need to watch it again.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Verbinski also gave us Rango which is one of his best films and still looks great today. It was refreshing to have a CG animated feature that wasn't afraid to have grotesquely detailed yet appealing characters. Another great Bill Nighy villain performance too.

Clear_Blue
May 29, 2007
Everybody wants to rule the world
I always enjoy POTC movie talk.
Pirates 1 is one of my all time favorite movies, just a perfect mix of action, set-pieces, humor, straight acting, scenery chewing and Depp.

I appreciate the over-the-top-ness of Pirates 2, even though it often feels too wacky.

But Pirates 3 is such a let down. On the one hand the boring pirate council stuff, on the other hand zany Jack Sparrow-stuff. And all the double/triple/quadruple-crossing...nah.

Didn't care about 4 and 5.

Final shout out to the soundtrack, great work by Badelt and Zimmer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I don't know if this lines up with general consensus but I enjoyed Pirates 2 just fine, saw it on opening weekend and had a good time with it. But then all of the sudden with Pirates 3 I couldn't even stay awake through it and everything after that had the same problem where it's just a slog to get through and like a natural sleep aid. Never really put my finger on it but I guess the plots just became so convoluted that it was hard to give a poo poo and when you don't give a poo poo about a 2+ hour movie you're probably gonna nod off at some point.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
In retrospect, the second movie's fight on the wheel is sort of a metaphor for how the entire 3rd movie went: really impressive from a technical standpoint, obviously a ton of work went into it, but drat if it's just not a lot of rigamarole around nothing. Forgive my pun here but so much of the third movie feels like wheel-spinning and elaborate quintuple fakeouts over nothing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1744425407300931864?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1744424280442466418?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In retrospect, the second movie's fight on the wheel is sort of a metaphor for how the entire 3rd movie went: really impressive from a technical standpoint, obviously a ton of work went into it, but drat if it's just not a lot of rigamarole around nothing. Forgive my pun here but so much of the third movie feels like wheel-spinning and elaborate quintuple fakeouts over nothing.

The wheel is where I gave up on the series. Just a profoundly clear statement that they had nothing but weren't going to stop.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't believe anyone is complaining about this scene. It's loving great.

The execution of it, from a technical point of view, is flawless. It should of been happening to a better developed villain, but who gives a poo poo if the logic of the ship exploding like that doesn't work?
It's also that character's death scene so it's a weird example to use of meaningless action scenes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I also think that scene is cool, but I am no defender of the pirates sequels. Pirates 2 is one of the few movies I've fallen asleep during.

I also find it funny that Pirates 4 was one of the most expensive movies ever made despite attempts early in the process to keep costs under control throughout the duration. They moved to locations with more tax credits, planned fewer fx and water scenes, had a tighter schedule, and yet the budget still ballooned to be higher than both Pirates 2 and 3 put together. And I can't really figure out why other than the addition of filming in 3d and Depp's salary.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I remember being really taken by some musical and visual moments in Pirates 2 - which may have been me having flashbacks to Verbinski and Zimmer’s work on The Ring - but I haven’t felt a strong desire to revisit it. But the third… The vision of Jack Sparrow’s afterlife in purgatory was also really inspired; I was sad to see it devolve into so much convoluted faff, a bunch of are-they-invincible-or-not fight scenes strung together while Stuff Expensively Happens. I bailed on the fourth after the opening because the energy felt all wrong and I was well and truly sick of Depp, and I’d rather be freezing wet watching No Country for Old Men than watch Javier Bardem try to redeem the sludge at the bottom of the franchise barrel.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 9, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ccs posted:

I also find it funny that Pirates 4 was one of the most expensive movies ever made despite attempts early in the process to keep costs under control throughout the duration.... And I can't really figure out why other than the addition of filming in 3d and Depp's salary.

Cocaine and embezzlement? Honestly could be as simple as the studios moving the costs of other movies onto that one. God knows studios love to gently caress around with accounting.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bar Crow posted:

The wheel is where I gave up on the series. Just a profoundly clear statement that they had nothing but weren't going to stop.

Yeah, that was the point where I checked out of the series too. Shame, as I loved the first one.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Ccs posted:

I also find it funny that Pirates 4 was one of the most expensive movies ever made despite attempts early in the process to keep costs under control throughout the duration. They moved to locations with more tax credits, planned fewer fx and water scenes, had a tighter schedule, and yet the budget still ballooned to be higher than both Pirates 2 and 3 put together. And I can't really figure out why other than the addition of filming in 3d and Depp's salary.

My non-cynical theory is, yeah, it was the 3D. It would have been one of the first films post Avatar to be shot in the format and having a lot less full CGI scenes probably necessitated substantial R&D costs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Going from the gonzo nonsense of worlds end to the bland safe on stranger tides is a huge whiplash

Dead men tell no tales is a bit better but it still sucks because Johnny Depp is absolutely horrific as Jack sparrow. He straight up forgot how to play him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah that wheel poo poo killed my interest into he franchise single handedly. The power of a bad setpiece.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWlfcs9ablg

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK2tnXmYMVQ

even before all the depp crap came out after this movie I was so ready for him to never touch this character again

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The comic book movie thread closed, so ya'll have to see this garbage instead:

https://twitter.com/SpiderMan_Newz/status/1744420343077351864?s=20

It looks bad at first, but wait till it gets to the E. Thats when it becomes AMAZING.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's directed by someone who has directed a bunch of episodes of British TV, a GoT prequel series pilot that got buried, and literally no movies. Also written by the Morbius screenwriters. Apparently it takes place in the Venom/Morbius/Kraven universe where Spider Man hypothetically exists but can't show up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The comic book movie thread closed, so ya'll have to see this garbage instead:

https://twitter.com/SpiderMan_Newz/status/1744420343077351864?s=20

It looks bad at first, but wait till it gets to the E. Thats when it becomes AMAZING.
This movie is going to bomb so hard

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think this is one that finally works. Sony finally breaks through on whatever it is they're doing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We get two of these this year....Kraven comes out in like August or Sept

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

I think this is one that finally works. Sony finally breaks through on whatever it is they're doing

I mean it might be nice to see them have a win for once on what ever their marvel garbage is trying to be. I mean obviously they don't deserve it at all. but still.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FlamingLiberal posted:

We get two of these this year....Kraven comes out in like August or Sept

We get 3 because Venom 3 is also coming out this year iirc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I still need to watch Venom 2, but the first one was at least watchable

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't Sony have the rights to all of the Spider-Man characters? Aren't there any characters they can pull that are basically Spider-Man but not technically Spider-Man that they can stick in there just so there's an analog with big spider-eyes that looks close enough for audiences to buy? Surely they have access to, say, Silk or Spider Woman or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Don't Sony have the rights to all of the Spider-Man characters? Aren't there any characters they can pull that are basically Spider-Man but not technically Spider-Man that they can stick in there just so there's an analog with big spider-eyes that looks close enough for audiences to buy? Surely they have access to, say, Silk or Spider Woman or something.
This movie is supposed to have a Spider Woman in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They... probably should have led with that