Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

some kinda jackal posted:

I am mentally prepared for for Yokozuna Ura
Oh, that would be fun. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Man, osaka people would go apeshit if ura could mount a bid. Now to be fair, this is in the context that osaka people are always going apeshit anyway

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Osaka is the basho I would plan around attending if I could make it to Japan for a tournament. They really seem to go for it, and the smaller arena seems fun.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

it's a nice arena, i was in the main arena twice and the smaller basement venue once when i was there in november for professional wrestling and it does definitely feel more inttimate than a us nhl/nba arena it's also an easy walk if you're staying in or near the famous sotenbori district

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've only ever made the effort to go to the Tokyo tournaments, but the Sumo Mainichi folks did both Osaka and Fukuoka this year and they report that the Fukuoka stadium is somehow even MORE intimate and I'm just ready to go take a piss after downing Asahi for five hours and run into Hakuho out of nowhere and make an rear end out of myself trying to awkwardly stare in awe.

Of anyone I could run into, that dude would be the one having NONE of it.

e: Uhh, suddenly I feel I need to clarify that in my entirely made up story I'm not staring in awe while taking a piss.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 27, 2023

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1739920325440413907

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oo! I'm curious to see whether he's taking anyone. Doesn't look like there's a huge talent pool there to begin with outside of Kirishima.

e: Kirinohana's photo framing does make him look like he has the longest neck i've seen on a dude in a while, though. Ole turkey-neck Kirinohana.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 27, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Language barriers are funny sometimes, apparently it was known in January that Otowayama is meant for Kakuryu, though if I'm reading the machine translation right, the plan was to then loan the name to someone else until the allowance period of "Kakuryu-oyakata" expires.

https://www.asagei.com/excerpt/242979

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A short article about the Mongolian Circus School, featuring an unexpected tie to sumo: Mongolians Are Circus Stars All Over the World, Except at Home

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACTbrq1jzXY
Sinatra-beya.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

sumo prime time just put up a very lovely interview with the very lovely Kotonowaka!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih6k6EA8B08

i'll be rooting for him big time this year!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I guess Chiyotairyu is going to be trying his hand at MMA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfuogAjuI2o

Also the kaiju did some practice bouts lending credence to the idea that he'll be competing this month. One week away.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Kerrzhe posted:

sumo prime time just put up a very lovely interview with the very lovely Kotonowaka!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih6k6EA8B08

i'll be rooting for him big time this year!

Same, I became a fan of his last basho.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kotonowaka looks like a huge astroboy, he's one of the most aesthetic wrestlers imo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I draft Kotonowaka every basho he's very talented and my second favourite "high tier but not beloved" behind Wakamotoharu, and yet I still just see Quadtitties.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

Kotonowaka looks like a huge astroboy, he's one of the most aesthetic wrestlers imo

Kotonowaka has a babyface, and combined with the baby blue mawashi he sported until recently, me and my friend dubbed him "the baby" which has 100% stuck. We're ready for Yokozuna Baby.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I will always root for my boy Quad Titty DJ

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

One of my favorite things about Kotonowaka is that he always used to keep a neutral expression during his pre-match routine, and then he went up against Terunofuji last year -- who has such a good meanmug intimidation face -- and ever since, Kotonowaka does this glare/scowl and unfortunately it just comes across as adorable.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kid Koto is one of my favourites and want him to succeed because yeah, he just looks like a giant child, but also not because I think Kotonowaka sounds better than Kotozakura.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I find Kotonowaka boring :mad:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah pop open the haterade. Who’s the most boring makuuchi wrestler and why is it Meisei, the Man Without Qualities?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have an irrational dislike of Kagayaki and Ryuuden.

Abi because he murdered Takayasu.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I think Kagayaki is the worst. He's got the body of someone who should be a thing but just isn't. He's like Ichinojo without the hilarious upside.

Also Ryuden hate is not irrational.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Meisei is who I call Big Baby, I think he's a decent wrestler

Kagayaki has the best assets of any of them

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I can never recognize meisei... he's the guy in a black mawashi that isn't Nishikifuji right?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Meisei kinda looks like Daieisho but is actually not Daieisho

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Meisei won me a yusho a few years back then has broken my heart every time thereafter.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Meisei cannot be identified

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

He's the guy who beat Terunofuji.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

So glad to see Kotonowaka getting recognized as a serious contender. When he first debuted in the top division I thought he looked a lot like Kisenosato in terms of build and style, and he seems to also have Kise's dogged discipline and steadiness.

I was complaining to my friend the other day that I wish there was some way to have joined his koenkai when he debuted. I would have happily subscribed for $25 or $50/mo to support my boy. Just send me the scraps, I'm an idiot foreigner! Just give me a sign banzuke each basho, and one portrait per year. Let me give you money!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
gently caress Ryuden.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lid posted:

gently caress Ryuden.

But that's what caused the problem in the first place.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

But that's what caused the problem in the first place.
Along with his waggling rear end. In retrospect, we should have known.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
To hear Mr. Christopher Sumo tell it, the Japanese press can't stop fawning over Kotonowaka and everyone expects him to be the next ozeki. He's definitely been steadily improving over the last year.

Personally, Hokuseiho gives me the most "giant baby" vibes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Hokuseiho gives me Ryuden vibes of being big but untalented and likely to fade away into irrelevance.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hokuseiho looks like one of those mangled Toy Story toys where someone ripped the legs off a really tall Ken doll and stuck them on an unrelated figure.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nativity In Black posted:

To hear Mr. Christopher Sumo tell it, the Japanese press can't stop fawning over Kotonowaka and everyone expects him to be the next ozeki. He's definitely been steadily improving over the last year.

Personally, Hokuseiho gives me the most "giant baby" vibes.

He also said they think my large son Atamifuji is now overweight heading into this basho :ohdear:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/videos/20240108195333901/

His Excellency Demon Kakkaa discusses the upcoming basho.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Guess what everybody, it's time for

:siren: F A N T A S Y S U M O :siren:

This time we're adding something fun...a juryo pick! The juryo pick is strictly a bonus, i.e. it's extra credit. You get 1 point from your juryo pick if they get their kachi-koshi, and 2 additional points if they win the juryo yusho. Hopefully this should add a bit more variation (help avoid ties), and also give people a chance to pay a bit more attention to juryo, without having to be too stressed about following it day-to-day. If you don't feel like picking a juryo rikishi you don't have to, but I recommend just picking one at random, or just some ex-makuuchi guy you recognize. I haven't yet decided on the split for how many players get to have a given juryo guy, but I suspect we'll go with 1/3 of the field, maybe 1/4. We'll see how the initial draft goes and see if we need to encourage more variation (since we're trying to use it as a tie-breaker).

code:
	    Makuuchi 

Terunofuji	Y	 
Kirishima	O	Hoshoryu
 		O	Takakeisho
Kotonowaka	S	Daieisho
Takayasu	K	Ura
Wakamotoharu	M1	Atamifuji
Midorifuji	M2	Abi
Gonoyama	M3	Hokutofuji
Tobizaru	M4	Shodai
Ryuden		M5	Nishikigi
Kinbozan	M6	Shonannoumi
Ichiyamamoto	M7	Asanoyama
Hokuseiho	M8	Hiradoumi
Mitakeumi	M9	Meisei
Tamawashi	M10	Sadanoumi
Tsurugisho	M11	Oho
Takanosho	M12	Myogiryu
Churanoumi	M13	Endo
Kotoshoho	M14	Onosho
Tomokaze	M15	Onosato
Takarafuji	M16	Bushozan
Shimazuumi	M17	Aoiyama

Juryo 

Daiamami	J1	Mitoryu
Nishikifuji	J2	Tohakuryu
Roga		J3	Kitanowaka
Tamashoho	J4	Kotoeko
Chiyoshoma	J5	Oshoma
Tokihayate	J6	Shirokuma
Kagayaki	J7	Shishi
Shimanoumi	J8	Shiden
Asakoryu	J9	Daishoho
Takerufuji	J10	Hakuyozan
Akua		J11	Hidenoumi
Chiyomaru	J12	Tenshoho
Yuma		J13	Oshoumi
Chiyosakae	J14	Tochimusashi
Please enter your draft in the following format:

Y/O:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

S/K:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M1-5:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M6-10:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M11+:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

Juryo:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

If you've never played Fantasy before, check out the rules. In brief: just choose 3 guys at each rank, and you'll be drafted a team of dudes. That's all you really need to do, although you can trade during the first week if you want (most people don't). It's really fun and helps you get more familiar with lower-ranked guys.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thank you for running this yet again Kenning, it is much appreciated!

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Ura
Takayasu

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Gonoyama
Wakamotoharu