Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

Hey I just wanna say that after I saw this post last year I decided I needed to read some Graham Greene and he's now one of my favourite authors, thank you.

:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Today's drama: if you consume audiobooks, are you still considered to be "reading" the book?

This spawned from a TikTok creator who said "I read 40 books last year. I have a bit of a commute and work a lot, so half of those were audiobooks." To which, a bunch of people got huffy and stitched the TikTok and said "SO YOU ONLY READ 20 BOOKS."

i personally don't consider them the same thing but who cares, enjoy the story ands there are way more important and interesting things to fixate on

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Reading Stephen King's THE OUTSIDER, and he gives a big shout-out to Harlan Coben (??). A character is a big fan, and says he's great etc etc.

I don't know if that's the highest honour one could receive in modern literature but it's close

Anyone read that guy? Apparently he's very famous and had a bunch of his stories adapted for Netflix. Is he any good, which one of his books should I read?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

King likes him and my mom likes him. So we can be pretty sure his works are terrible.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The Outsider is funny because it really tries to sell you at the start that it's this big locked room mystery story...but it's a Stephen King novel, so you already know the solution is some supernatural gremlin dude and won't be remotely satisfying.

rollick fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 8, 2024

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

rollick posted:

The Outsider is funny because it really tries to sell you at the start that it's this big locked room mystery story...but it's a Stephen King novel, so you already know the solution is some supernatural gremlin dude and won't be remotely satisfying.

I’m about 30% in but that was my first guess just from the synopsis. I don’t mind tbh, he’s drat good at keeping you entertained. Easy to read and fun dialogue, nothing too deep or life changing

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

cptn_dr posted:

Hey I just wanna say that after I saw this post last year I decided I needed to read some Graham Greene and he's now one of my favourite authors, thank you.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The more Le Carré I read, the more I think: "this guy really wished he was Graham Greene (or, possibly, Vladimir Volkoff)". They're fine, and I could obviously be wrong, but still.

I got that volume of his letters (le Carré, not Greene) that came out recently. You are 100% correct, he really wanted to be Graham Greene.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quick question. Is there an easy way to gift an ebook through Amazon if I already own the book? I want to get my friend the Cradle series for his birthday. But there's no option to buy for someone else on the site, and trying to gift a book I own through the Kindle site I get asked to go to the UK site (I used a uk address some years ago to buy one book and haven't figured out how to fix my region).

I checked on an omnibus ebook edition they offer that I don't own and I don't see an option to buy it as a gift either.

Would appreciate any help, I may just have to tell my friend to buy them and request the amount on cash app.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Ninth Layer posted:

Quick question. Is there an easy way to gift an ebook through Amazon if I already own the book? I want to get my friend the Cradle series for his birthday. But there's no option to buy for someone else on the site, and trying to gift a book I own through the Kindle site I get asked to go to the UK site (I used a uk address some years ago to buy one book and haven't figured out how to fix my region).

I checked on an omnibus ebook edition they offer that I don't own and I don't see an option to buy it as a gift either.

Would appreciate any help, I may just have to tell my friend to buy them and request the amount on cash app.

I think it's entirely a region issue. I see “Buy for others” on both books I do and don't own.

If you can't resolve it with support, then I'd guess gifting from a new account or money/gift card are your best bets.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I want to know how to give Commonweal to people.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

101 posted:

I think it's entirely a region issue. I see “Buy for others” on both books I do and don't own.

If you can't resolve it with support, then I'd guess gifting from a new account or money/gift card are your best bets.

Ok thank you. I don't see that button even on browswer so the region is almost certainly my issue. Probably somewhere in the Amazon site my account is flagged as UK (this would also explain occasional issues I have buying or using credits on audiobooks "not in my country").

Hopefully in one of Amazons's twenty six sub menus spread across multiple websites I can find the feature I need to change. Or maybe I'll just buy the books with my roommate's account.

Edit: Amazon customer service chat fixed my issue, it was indeed region related. Thanks again.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 8, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Amazon should have a dedicated button that sends the Culture series to everyone in your contacts

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Amazon should have a dedicated button that sends the Culture series to everyone in your contacts

Amazon should actually have all of the Culture series available as ebooks in the first place, dammit

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think they do, but some of them are UK-only for unknown reasons.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I think they do, but some of them are UK-only for unknown reasons.

Yeah, Excession and Inversions aren't available in the US for some reason, which is bizarre since they're technically in the middle of the series. State of the Art too, if you count that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Randomly found some Infinite Jest fan art (!)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YBoLwY

Pretty cool tbh

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

audiobooks are kinda cool in a sitting around the fire listening to an orator regale you and the tribe kinda way, but i still can't deal. i like to re-read passages too much--and maybe you should be paying more attention to the road than your critical analysis imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I don't have anything against audiobooks, I just can't. I immediately zone out and stop paying attention, it just becomes annoying background noise.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The audiobook for Antkind was very good and honestly probably the best way to experience that book. If it wasn't an audiobook I probably would have tapped out during the pages and pages and pages about the war between Donald Trunk and Slammy's in a cave

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

The audiobook for Antkind was very good and honestly probably the best way to experience that book. If it wasn't an audiobook I probably would have tapped out during the pages and pages and pages about the war between Donald Trunk and Slammy's in a cave

Ah I just bought Antkind! I guess I’m a Charlie Kaufman fan, checked his IMDb and every movie he’s written has been special for me, decided to buy it. How’s the book anyway?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
It's a pretty fun book. When I read it I didn't realize the whole thing was making GBS threads on one particular real life movie critic Richard Brody.

There's a fair bit that kind of feels like filler or is just not altogether super important to follow in close detail. Definitely including the Slammy's vs Donald Trunk stuff which I found pretty boring.

A lot of it is kind of like a dream. Details come and go without a lot of relevance. For example, midway through the book the main character discovers that he's shrinking down and getting smaller but it's barely mentioned and then never comes up again.

There's a lot of good ideas but I wouldn't say they're all necessarily really linked to one another. The main plot is about the main character trying to remember a historic 3-month-long movie he saw that ended up getting burnt up and lost, but it also is really not about that either. Things don't really come together by the end but the title kind of makes more sense.

I'd say it's a book where the best version of it is the audiobook. The reader does a really good job and you can tune out the bits that are less interesting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a lot of that sounds very kaufmanesque

e: lmao the first line of the plot summary: "Neurotic failed film critic B. Rosenberger Rosenberg stumbles upon what may be the greatest artistic achievement in human history: a three-month-long film, complete with scheduled sleeping, eating, and bathroom breaks, that took its reclusive auteur, a psychotic African-American man named Ingo Cutbirth, 90 years to complete" yea thats kaufman alright

whats the prose like?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is "Assistant to the Villain" any good? It's got glowing reviews and "beleaguered office assistant to a dungeon boss" is a fun concept, but on the other hand, apparently not only does the narration like to interrupt itself with cutesy lines like "Don’t find evil so attractive, Evie", but it's so enamored of them that it put one right in the blurb. Makes it seem like some Fifty Shades bullshit.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Carthag Tuek posted:

whats the prose like?

The dialogue is pretty sharp and clever. Most of the narration is written in the voice of the narrator B who is a pretentious and obnoxious blowhard in a very weird and specific way. Sometimes Kaufman kind of leans into the joke a little too much. Maybe because I'm not familiar with the actual critic that Kaufman hates I'm missing some context. There will be a long run where the guy talks like this:

Antkind posted:

BACK ON THE street, I feel relieved there seems to be some recollection of the movie, but also oddly dispirited, both to be so quickly out of the story and back in this awful life of mine, but also to feel at the mercy of Barassini’s control in order to recover it. And why is he suddenly so desperate to hear about it? I think about the scene I just watched. Is that even in the movie? How can I know? Nothing is knowable. First of all, it feels so complete, down to precise dialogue and extraordinary comic timing. Is that possible? I have, in the past, claimed an eidetic memory, but have I ever tested it in this way? I don’t remember. I try now to recall a single scene of dialogue in Moutarde, a movie I have, by a conservative estimate, seen five hundred times, and I cannot. I remember snippets, important lines, brilliant lines, but not every line, not every look, every breath. Granted, the film is in French, and although I am fluent in French and five other languages, conversant in six more, it is not my first language. I attempt to think of a film in English I know as well as I know Moutarde. It is a difficult task. I do not expend much energy on American films, as they are generally not worth the effort. I consider the work of Apatow, the Great Exception, as he is known among we enlightened few. There is one scene in This Is 40 that jumps out and smacks one in the face, even in that veritable sea of Apatow brilliance. I’ve deconstructed this scene. I’ve written about it at length. I’ve performed the Paul Rudd part in my acting for critics classes. I know it. So I attempt to play it back in my mind, just to see if I can.

And by the end you'll be like "yeah yeah bro. the guy's into french arthouse and judd apatow, very funny". But the book will then usually jump to something weird and interesting. Immediately after that bit there's an extended sequence about how Michael Collins, while sitting alone in the lunar lander waiting for Buzz Aldrin and Lance Armstrong to finish walking on the moon during Apollo 11, is surprised by the sudden appearance of two magical babies who he then adopts and names Castor and Pollux, becoming famous as one of the greatest fathers of all time - which may be something that was true and really happened or just part of the 3-month-long movie or both, never made clear

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thanks

yeah i dont think i would enjoy reading that.

fwiw i heard it in nic cage's voice in my head when i read that, which is a good thing, but if its all written like that its too exhausting for me

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I'll be listening to this audiobook I guess.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Yeah I think the book is a good fit for audiobook. The reader on Audible did a really great job and makes listening to the narrator a lot more enjoyable than just reading the text. There's plenty of chaff but also a lot of funny and interesting plotlines and ideas in there

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Dang, I guess I'll be stuck with Calibre 6.29.0 until I feel like shelling out thousands on a MacBook Air that will update past Monterey :saddowns:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

eightysixed posted:

Dang, I guess I'll be stuck with Calibre 6.29.0 until I feel like shelling out thousands on a MacBook Air that will update past Monterey :saddowns:

hah, yeah I had the same problem, don't buy it now though, it's due for a refresh with their new processors (the 13" version)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Well that’s good to know.
Mine is the 13” version and I’m fine with that on an Air.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I didn’t see one in any pinned OP, but is there a website for no-frills browsing through titles and summaries by genre? Amazon and Apple Books and B&N are all fine, but I feel like I have to do a lot of fruitless digging to get past best sellers, new releases and promoted books before it starts showing me something that’s not also on the front page.

Or maybe tell me how you browse those stores and found some hidden gems.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I didn’t see one in any pinned OP, but is there a website for no-frills browsing through titles and summaries by genre? Amazon and Apple Books and B&N are all fine, but I feel like I have to do a lot of fruitless digging to get past best sellers, new releases and promoted books before it starts showing me something that’s not also on the front page.

Goodreads?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, this is a really good answer. Goodreads is awesome for finding something you might not have othwerwise have found.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i sure wish Goodreads was as hard on scores as a community like Rateyourmusic is. seriously there's something hosed up and evil in a world where Ready Player One holds a 4.2

at least on RYM if an album's over a 4, it's likely good. meanwhile i don't know what the hell to think of a book's score on Goodread

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

cumpantry posted:

i sure wish Goodreads was as hard on scores as a community like Rateyourmusic is. seriously there's something hosed up and evil in a world where Ready Player One holds a 4.2

at least on RYM if an album's over a 4, it's likely good. meanwhile i don't know what the hell to think of a book's score on Goodread

This is the will of the people and you will respect it

But it's pretty easy to find someone who likes the same books you do and follow them, and check out their recommendations.

I quite like Goodreads, it's just so freakin slow sometimes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I think you’re better off looking for books outside of the online storefronts. Goodreads or LibraryThing or whatever will probably be better at surfacing new books.

Actually browsing your library’s online catalogue is probably a good approach too. Especially if you like ebooks or audiobooks, because then you can just withdraw them from said library.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Find a publisher you like and then go through their catalogue.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess I never thought to check what goodreads was exactly even thought it’s mentioned everywhere. It looks like it has user made lists that might be helpful for finding those more specific story types. I might still have to dig through a lot of the “Hot aliens abduct women to repop their home planet” to reach the “Stupid jetpack Hitler and the ghostapo” lists, but this is more helpful than the online stores.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

cumpantry posted:

if you see a book below 4-4.2 on goodreads, it's going to be bad, no matter how many geocities era animated gifs you see in the reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

branedotorg posted:

if you see a book below 4-4.2 on goodreads, it's going to be bad, no matter how many geocities era animated gifs you see in the reviews.

OTOH some of the best books written hover between 2 and 3