Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

wash bucket posted:

Another factor here is that local news stations get pressured by their corporate owners to have X amount of severe weather events per month because they boost ratings.

Okay, I'm gonna need a source for this. Not that it isn't believable, but... really?

e: this was totally sourced like three posts later whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Time_pants posted:

Okay, I'm gonna need a source for this. Not that it isn't believable, but... really?

Please see the next two posts after that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Probably already posted.

Loading up a new site and all the ads load up on the page, but none of the article text.
Then getting a full page inescapable 'Accept All' cookies popup with no 'Reject All' and '1500 partners'.

gently caress that, closes page.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've completely given up on browsing or reading webpages on my phone. It's now for the SA app, podcasts, music, and emails.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

happyhippy posted:

Probably already posted.

Loading up a new site and all the ads load up on the page, but none of the article text.
Then getting a full page inescapable 'Accept All' cookies popup with no 'Reject All' and '1500 partners'.

gently caress that, closes page.

My development team is in the middle of adding one of these to our sites, because we are getting sued for 3rd party tracking stuff.

I hate that I’m part of the sensitization. Oh well

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Beastie posted:

I've completely given up on browsing or reading webpages on my phone. It's now for the SA app, podcasts, music, and emails.

Have you tried Firefox with uBlock origin?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

for fucks sake posted:

Have you tried Firefox with uBlock origin?

This is what I run but a lot of sites are still unusable unless I'm behind my pihole.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
in general "they" (ie. businesses) want the web to suck so you will want/have to download their app, which has way less restrictions on tracking etc

if "developers" attempt to make some sort of stand against this type of (industry-wide) practice theyll simply be replaced by someone less scrupulous. its not hard work by development standards and theres enough money pumping through the industry that they wont have any trouble getting someone else

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:haibrow:

I went to Taco Bell last night for the first time in.. :shrug: months? maybe years?

bean and cheese burrito was two bucks

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

in general "they" (ie. businesses) want the web to suck so you will want/have to download their app, which has way less restrictions on tracking etc

And that's why all brand competitions are poo poo these days to.
Used to have to send a physical letter into competitions, max cost a price of a stamp.
Then it was phone calls needed. Then the bastards started to charge $2 a second and min 10 minutes. On top of that, sell your number to scammers who will cold contact you every night at 6pm during dinner.
Then it was apps. Which will still sell on your details, but also now read and transmit everything in your contact list to your photo album, and will do so forever until removed. Scammers now send phishing texts.

Oh, and you didn't win that xbox or iphone.
You never will.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Just throw all fast food in the poo poo the sucks now category.

Way too loving expensive. It was great getting a big mac meal for $5 because it's McDonald's and it's lovely cheap food but now it's like $12 for that exact same lovely food. Actually probably worse.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

pretty much all fast food is criminal, now. we need community kitchens again.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Time_pants posted:

A couple of years back the local news ran a story about a tornado in my town that never happened and showed footage of the "destruction" using clips from around 2005. Got some calls from concerned relatives in surrounding towns so I guess it works.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All the stuff about self checkout being a bunch of bullshit because it makes the consumer do the job of a store employee reminds me of what massive bullshit it is that I have to direct dial with area and/or country code just to make a call. I'm supposed to pick up my phone, have a long and meaningful conversation with the telephone operator, and then have them connect me to my buddy. Anything else is me doing the work of the phone company for them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuYPOC-gCGA

Literally just training you to do the thing that telephone operators did

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

drat it even has a rotary dial big enough for boomers to read

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Beastie posted:

It's still pretty terrible since it's mobile IMO, but firefox app for android + ublock works.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Just throw all fast food in the poo poo the sucks now category.

Way too loving expensive. It was great getting a big mac meal for $5 because it's McDonald's and it's lovely cheap food but now it's like $12 for that exact same lovely food. Actually probably worse.

Honestly they charge like 11 euros for a Double QP meal now where I live. I guess that's one of getting me to eat healthier.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm watching True Detective on HBO Max, and every episode begins with "MAKE SURE YOU KEEP WATCHING SO YOU SEE BEHIND THE SCENES STUFF!" but it automatically launches the next episode the moment the credits roll so I don't see the behind the scenes stuff promised.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

I'm watching True Detective on HBO Max, and every episode begins with "MAKE SURE YOU KEEP WATCHING SO YOU SEE BEHIND THE SCENES STUFF!" but it automatically launches the next episode the moment the credits roll so I don't see the behind the scenes stuff promised.

Haha, at a certain point it does feel like their just openly mocking you.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My New Balance runner have been fine for decades.

The most recent one squeaks when the right one gets wet. There's a small air pocket or something that gets filled with water and needs to be dryer out in a dryer to remove it. I've had a half dozen of these shoes and it's the first one it's ever happened too.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Comstar posted:

My New Balance runner have been fine for decades.

The most recent one squeaks when the right one gets wet. There's a small air pocket or something that gets filled with water and needs to be dryer out in a dryer to remove it. I've had a half dozen of these shoes and it's the first one it's ever happened too.

Boomers love New Balance so that should be rectified quickly when they start bitching on Facebook and calling them relentlessly.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hey, New Balance is the only big shoe still (mostly, kinda, sorta) made in USA. Big presence in Maine and MA.

Has their quality gone done? Almost certainly.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
shrinkflation? nah, people can tell at the store that something got smaller

we doing shitflation

make them buy it and take it home to find out it sucks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

redshirt posted:

Hey, New Balance is the only big shoe still (mostly, kinda, sorta) made in USA. Big presence in Maine and MA.

Has their quality gone done? Almost certainly.

they're the official whites supremacist shoe

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

credburn posted:

This reminded me of one related to the current garbage streaming TV service environment: services that advertise programs they have, then bait & switch by trying to get you to sign up for another service. Happened to me twice in the last month, where I was looking for shows/movies & they'd say they're on Amazon Prime...then the link brings you to a Prime page where the only option to watch is "Sign up for Paramount/HBO/Max/some other service". That plus the ad bullshit Prime is doing had me canceling my membership before it could renew, whoever thought any of that garbage was a good idea needs to be fired into the sun.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

They're not, we don't let white supremacists claim things just because they say they did and by failing to understand this and repeating their assertion you're part of the problem.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

They're not, we don't let white supremacists claim things just because they say they did and by failing to understand this and repeating their assertion you're part of the problem.

So you’d just rock the Richard Spencer cut as a white man in 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
look if you want to 'reclaim' things that white supremacists favor, you have at. that can be your crusade, trying to convince people you're wearing the New Balances bc we can't let the white supremacists win.

(I actually dont know either way about New Balances but just this whole conversation, no)

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 8, 2024

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This reminded me of one related to the current garbage streaming TV service environment: services that advertise programs they have, then bait & switch by trying to get you to sign up for another service. Happened to me twice in the last month, where I was looking for shows/movies & they'd say they're on Amazon Prime...then the link brings you to a Prime page where the only option to watch is "Sign up for Paramount/HBO/Max/some other service". That plus the ad bullshit Prime is doing had me canceling my membership before it could renew, whoever thought any of that garbage was a good idea needs to be fired into the sun.

prime has been doing that for so long that I just assume anything they’re advertising is not actually their show unless it’s the boys or cia propaganda

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this thread

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Gonna get a 1776 tattoo I just love America

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i actually removed those numbers from my keyboard, and also 8. good luck to you if you'd like to reclaim them but they are hate symbols now.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Everyone I know that uses orthotic inserts seems to love New Balance for some reason even though they fall apart in a few months.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was once accused of being a Nazi for wearing a black shirt with a red graphic on it. The graphic was just some threadless thing it was a kid on a bike staring down a giant ghost or something

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

You know else wore shoes? Hitler! That's who!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
if new balances are as important to you as single digit math, then sure. just wear the new balances, or don't, but holy poo poo don't get on people who don't wanna deal with that, that they're not putting in the effort to 'normalize' poo poo so it doesn't get 'taken' by the white supremacists or whatever

like goddamn no, if someone is just like 'i don't want to look like a white suprmacist' bc that's their association, let them be and you can just wear your new balances. if it upsets you that's their association, welp. can't help you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

Everyone I know that uses orthotic inserts seems to love New Balance for some reason even though they fall apart in a few months.

New balance is great for ppl with flat feet they're basically the only shoe that has no arch support at all