Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
snell borderline :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Snell is no where close to even being borderline HoF

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

"Men want to be him, women don't watch these videos"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Snell is no where close to even being borderline HoF
In general I agree, but I can see a scenario where he is a major point of contention ten or twenty years from now.

Two Cy Young’s will put him on the radar and if he sneaks a third in a couple years he starts to make people ask some tough questions. Everyone with 3+ is in the Hall, destined to be first ballot once eligible, or named Roger Clemens. Snell is emblematic of starters in this era in terms of style and workload

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 8, 2024

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I just can't get behind respecting a guy who had a BB/9 of 5. THAT isn't a symptom of this era

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mark Buehrle belongs in the Hall of Leftballers and Hall of Fun highlights.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Poque posted:

Stroman posted some bizarre insta story yesterday where he was playing piano while getting a tattoo, he has fully lost it.

I would appreciate him, in all his glory, pitching on the Cubs.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

I would appreciate him, in all his glory, pitching on the Cubs.

I know Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain worked for the Giants, but I'm fine with Stro and 3-4 other pretty good starters. I am not expecting a future Hall of Fame starter. The Cubs' defense should be pretty good in the near future.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Stroman is a ground ball pitcher and the Cubs have elite infield defense. I don't really get why he opted out given his 2nd half but it seems like he was unhappy about the Cubs not giving him an extension.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

bawfuls posted:

In general I agree, but I can see a scenario where he is a major point of contention ten or twenty years from now.

Two Cy Young’s will put him on the radar and if he sneaks a third in a couple years he starts to make people ask some tough questions. Everyone with 3+ is in the Hall, destined to be first ballot once eligible, or named Roger Clemens. Snell is emblematic of starters in this era in terms of style and workload

so it'll take winning a third cy to make him borderline?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It might! But there's a lot of chatter about the death of the traditional starting pitcher and guys just never throwing a ton of innings anymore. If you think we'll never see another Kershaw/Verlander/Scherzer/Greinke again, then Snell starts to look like one of the best of what's left.

Maybe deGrom is the better Virgin for the meme, same idea though.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
personally I am hoping Snellzilla wins another two Cy Young's with middling seasons in between them for maximum "what the gently caress"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees should offer Snell like 80 million for 2 years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Snell will win two more Cy Young's between seasons of 2 WAR pitching and it will be hilarious when he becomes eligible

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

mcmagic posted:

no way he's shaving

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I would also prefer Justin Steele winning a cy young.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

maffew buildings posted:

no way he's shaving

But him and Judge are BFFs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I would also prefer Justin Steele winning a cy young.

:hmmyes: this has been a strong sentiment amongst people with cool and good beliefs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My extremely lazy rule of thumb for the Hall is:
>70 WAR: Automatic first ballot Hall guy, loving fight me. Yes I know Schilling exists he deserves to go in the nanosecond he falls over dead.
70-60 WAR: Probably a Hall guy, really hard to get here and not deserve it.
50-60 WAR: Okay we can have a conversation, depending on other factors like awards/counting stat stuff they might be a Hall guy but I'm starting to get skeptical.
40-50 WAR: You're really stretching my credulity here, there needs to be something else crazy going on for me to buy they're a Hall guy. Mostly though here be the Hall of Very Good Zone.
<40 WAR: Sorry but they're not a Hall guy.

Snell's heading into his age 31 season and currently sitting at around 21 career WAR, of both the b and f varieties, over eight* seasons. I find it unlikely he'd even manage to retire at the >40 WAR level, let alone into the 50's 60's, unless he unlocks some whole other gear of longevity and becomes the next Verlander. He also doesn't have anything resembling the traditional "peak" period you expect from Hall guys, rather he just has two extremely good outlier seasons mixed in with a bunch of others where he pitched well but not often. It's a weird case but I just don't see how you justify putting him in unless he has a radical IP breakthrough in his 30's.

*This is including 2020 which I acknowledge is dumb bullshit but that's life.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

No thanks

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Players I deem cool and good should be in the HoF and anyone who plays for the Cardinals banished for life

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Stroman is a ground ball pitcher and the Cubs have elite infield defense. I don't really get why he opted out given his 2nd half but it seems like he was unhappy about the Cubs not giving him an extension.

The only thing that makes sense is that he wanted to lock in a contract with more guaranteed years.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

tadashi posted:

I know Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain worked for the Giants, but I'm fine with Stro and 3-4 other pretty good starters. I am not expecting a future Hall of Fame starter. The Cubs' defense should be pretty good in the near future.

Bumgarner?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Blake Snell’s HOF plaque should have a video screen where you press a button and it plays that clip of him on Twitch learning they traded Tommy Pham for a slapdick prospect.

General Bullshit posted:

The same demagogue writers who aren't voting in guys for steroids are currently not saying a single thing about Wander Franco raping a fourteen year old girl.

The Times has been reporting on it, though mostly via reposting info from DR insiders and articles that amount to “we don’t know poo poo, either.”

There’s like ten people in the Rays subreddit and nine of them are HE WAS CHARGED WITH NOT SHOWING UP NOT WITH PIMPING A 14 YEAR OLD INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY WHEN WILL HE RETURN and I remembered why I only post in SAS.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 8, 2024

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Luigi Thirty posted:

Blake Snell’s HOF plaque should have a video screen where you press a button and it plays that clip of him on Twitch learning they traded Tommy Pham for a slapdick prospect.

They traded Tommy Pham AND Jake Cronenworth for a slapdick prospect (and Hunter Renfroe and Esteban Quiroz). I'm assuming Xavier Edwards is the slapdick.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hell, put one up even if he doesn’t get in

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Every other pitcher who's won a Cy Young in both leagues is either in the Hall of Fame or Max Scherzer so Snell's Hall of Fame case is very strong.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
No pitcher named Blake snell has ever failed to make the hof

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is Ohtani a first ballot yet or does he still need a couple more years of being a two-way star? Assuming he has like a 5+ WAR season next year, how much stronger is his HOF case right now?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

Is Ohtani a first ballot yet or does he still need a couple more years of being a two-way star? Assuming he has like a 5+ WAR season next year, how much stronger is his HOF case right now?

Technically he still needs 4 years. But even without the 10 year minimum, I think he's still a couple years short. He's on the don't screw up and he'll cruise in track, but at 28 there's an off chance that he's like Dale Murphy/Johan Santana who probably everyone would have bet on being HOF guys at the same age with multiple MVP/Cy's.

Especially the pitcher side. There's too many guys that are dominant for a couple years and then lose it once they hit 30 for him to have the resume already.

Any sort of graceful aging curve where he doesn't completely break down after the next 2-3 years would do it though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think on narrative alone he will make it if he puts up like 2 more seasons of good two-way production. Even if his WAR is short, he doesn't win another MVP, and he falls off a cliff after that, the unprecedented nature of what he's already achieved will just be too overwhelming for voters to resist.

It might not even take that much. Add in the possibility of a signature postseason series, like a World Series where he dominates on the mound and at the plate, he's got a lot of avenues to get there. He could never throw another pitch and just be an elite hitter for the next decade, lots of options.

But yeah he's probably not yet in "retire tomorrow and be first-ballot" territory but he's in "will make it barring disaster" territory.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

I’m gonna end posting this like thirty times in this thread aren’t I

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Ohtani is so unique that normal measurements of value don’t really capture what he was able to do

Like, even if he gets hit by a bus tomorrow I don’t think it’s correct to put him in the Dale Murphy “great, but not for long enough” bucket. I think he’s in right now

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Oh yeah if god forbid he suffered some freak tragedy and was forced to retire tomorrow, I think he'd get in, but he'd be getting a bit of the martyr's boost in that case. Like Roy Halladay was definitely going to get into the Hall of Fame regardless, but the reason he was first-ballot is because he died young.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Like, Ohtani has a non-ridiculous case for “greatest baseball player who ever lived,” full stop. If the Hall doesn’t have room for that, what are we even doing here

It’s not a case you can make (or unmake) by fiddling with WAR or trying to find comparable players. There are no comparable players, and that, itself, is Ohtani’s case as of January 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jim Bowden was on Foul Territory and said no team would ever sign Trevor Bauer again so I assume he'll be on a roster in a week or two.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mcmagic posted:

Jim Bowden was on Foul Territory and said no team would ever sign Trevor Bauer again so I assume he'll be on a roster in a week or two.

That’s the first seal, now he’s just one Nightengale tweet away

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bravesword posted:

Like, Ohtani has a non-ridiculous case for “greatest baseball player who ever lived,” full stop. If the Hall doesn’t have room for that, what are we even doing here

It’s not a case you can make (or unmake) by fiddling with WAR or trying to find comparable players. There are no comparable players, and that, itself, is Ohtani’s case as of January 2024

Ohtani's only been OHTANI! for three seasons now. If he got hurt and his production fell off, he'd be the greatest "What if?" of all-time but he wouldn't get into the Hall on it alone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sydin posted:

My extremely lazy rule of thumb for the Hall is:
>70 WAR: Automatic first ballot Hall guy, loving fight me. Yes I know Schilling exists he deserves to go in the nanosecond he falls over dead.
70-60 WAR: Probably a Hall guy, really hard to get here and not deserve it.
50-60 WAR: Okay we can have a conversation, depending on other factors like awards/counting stat stuff they might be a Hall guy but I'm starting to get skeptical.
40-50 WAR: You're really stretching my credulity here, there needs to be something else crazy going on for me to buy they're a Hall guy. Mostly though here be the Hall of Very Good Zone.
<40 WAR: Sorry but they're not a Hall guy.

Snell's heading into his age 31 season and currently sitting at around 21 career WAR, of both the b and f varieties, over eight* seasons. I find it unlikely he'd even manage to retire at the >40 WAR level, let alone into the 50's 60's, unless he unlocks some whole other gear of longevity and becomes the next Verlander. He also doesn't have anything resembling the traditional "peak" period you expect from Hall guys, rather he just has two extremely good outlier seasons mixed in with a bunch of others where he pitched well but not often. It's a weird case but I just don't see how you justify putting him in unless he has a radical IP breakthrough in his 30's.

*This is including 2020 which I acknowledge is dumb bullshit but that's life.

Ichiro’s got a career WAR of 60 and there’s no way he’s not in on the first ballot. I’d bet on him getting in unanimously even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

live with fruit posted:

Ohtani's only been OHTANI! for three seasons now. If he got hurt and his production fell off, he'd be the greatest "What if?" of all-time but he wouldn't get into the Hall on it alone.

See I sort of get that argument, but there’s only been one person who has ever gotten the mvp award twice unanimously (let alone that he should’ve had three and only didn’t get it because Judge broke a made up record that baseball writers set so they’d feel better about not voting in Bonds to the HOF), and Babe loving Ruth did the two way thing for barely a season and a half. Ohtani has done it for three, to me it’s pretty much inarguable that Ohtani makes the hall first ballot even if he never pitches again.

Also he’s sitting on 35 WAR right now, which if we put 40 as the absolute lowest possible bound for HoF consideration he’ll get there end of this year.