Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Finally broke my Vengeance Paladin oath, at a party no less, by telling the Tiefling mom not to kill Kagha for murdering her daughter, after laying her out with poison. I just didn't want my party getting ruined!

Snake Maze posted:

Also post-credits I got a scene where Raphael chewed me out for violating our contract and not giving him the crown, despite the fact that I destroyed the contract and murdered him extremely hard. I'm assume that's only supposed to trigger if you don't do House of Hope?

I had Jaehira pop up with one quick line in the epilogue despite dying in the Ketheric fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This might be more of a general D&D question, but why is charisma the main stat for Sorcerers? Isn't the whole deal with them that their blood is magically infused or whatever and that the magical powers are literally coursing through their body? It feels like constitution would make much more sense as a main stat, since you're literally drawing on your body's internal energy to power your abilities

People have pitched a Cast-From-Constitution Sorcerer before! But the reason imho is purely that Constitution as a stat is solely defensive (since it's HP + probably the most commonly asked for save + Concentration) and having the primary defensive ability score that everyone wants to some degree or another being your main casting stat is a bit of a no bueno. Is this a dumb design decision gated by another dumb design decision? Maybe!

Also since Charisma is force of personality/will/etc it could be argued that you're using your innate will to coax your special sorcerous bloodline and also magic itself (via metamagic) to bend to your will. But it's mostly that first thing imo.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Thundarr posted:

What I did was basically:

stop the tieflings from executing Sazza
clear the tunnel under the grove
break Sazza out and lead her through the tunnel to escape
at the goblin camp, convince Minthara to take mercy on Sazza
tell Minthara that you something to do first (otherwise she immediately starts the raid)
initiate combat with Minthara outside of dialog so she's temp hostile, knock her out
take out Gut and Ragzlin
when the rest of the goblin fort goes agro, Sazza was set to temp hostile rather than full hostile. knock her out
In act 2, worm Z'rell so she doesn't execute Minthara immediately
let the goblins (including Sazza) go free
rescue Minthara

All of the tiefling rescue stuff can take place alongside these steps. The main reason to rescue Sazza three times is there's an achievement tied to it.

Cool, saving this for my next run. I didn't even know about the achievement, as I just assumed it wasn't possible lol.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Did they actually fix the Minthara romance? I got the little romance thing with the dryad and she made it clear that she doesn't share when we talked to the drow twins. We also had confirmed the romance at camp, and she said she was going to come find me in the night, but now it's been several long rests and nothing, and she doesn't really have any more dialogue about much of anything. still feels pretty half-baked which I guess is understandable given how unlikely it is most players are going to see it.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

Shadowheart is one of the few romance partners that doesn't break up with the player for loving Mizora, although her reasons for polyamory are more sad than fun.

I didn't know you could do that! And I was definitely trying on my first run! She didn't care that I hosed The Emperor :cthulhu:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You have to convince your body that it wants to make magic like you have to talk it into casting magic missile every time, it’s frustrating.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm about 10 hours into Act 3 and I don't know if I can finish this game with the direction the narrative is going in. Between The Emperor, Orpheus, and Raphael, I don't feel like any choice I make is going to lead to an objectively good outcome and I can't fully trust ANY of them. It seems like every new plot beat is just piling on to the negativity and that makes it feel like my character's actions aren't really amounting to anything positive. I guess I'm just tired of being put in no-win situations by the writing.

I think I liked the Act 2 ending so much because at least then I felt like I had a victory when Ketheric gets defeated, the curse is lifted from the Shadowlands, and Dame Aylin is reunited with Isobel.

It's hard to really explain but I'm feeling anxiety and dread IRL every time I have to make a dialogue decision or something new happens in the game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

IDK apparently if you romance her and approach her about being poly with Halsin she says she wants to climb Mount Halsin too.

Oh yeah, I was just misremembering or confusing her for someone else. Come to think of it, I definitely had that foursome with the two drow while I was in a relationship with her. I don't know what exactly happened since it cut to black, but she seemed into it

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The writing of Act 3 needs work. Blame Todd for putting all his points into intimidation. But one of them is literally a devil :colbert:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I have like 350 hours in bg3 at this point and I’ll be the first to admit that the game won goty purely on the strength of acts 1 and 2. I think act 3 doesn’t stick the landing at all and those criticisms are totally valid

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Okay, but I don't think that's a universally held opinion. Act 3 was my favorite part of the game. I guess I just like open world urban environments.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't worry, you can still save the day and be the big hero.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It is ok to like act 3 but it doesn’t tie up anything introduced in act 1 or 2 very well and in fact introduces a fuckton of brand new stuff it has to very quickly resolve which is pretty jarring.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Oh yeah, I was just misremembering or confusing her for someone else. Come to think of it, I definitely had that foursome with the two drow while I was in a relationship with her. I don't know what exactly happened since it cut to black, but she seemed into it

Maybe you're thinking of Lae'zel? Karlach apparently will let you be poly with Halsin but clearly isn't into it and is just afraid of losing the first relationship she has had in 10 years so you're terrible if you go with it. Also if you suggest a foursome to her with the drow twins she says incest is gross and if you call her a spoilsport she calls you a degenerate (I had to know what her reaction would be).

The size of the acts seems kind of uneven more than there being a quality difference. Act one is really big when you include the mountain pass and the underdark, then act 2 is a lot smaller, then act 3 is absolutely massive and I apparently missed a bunch of side quests my first time from what I'm reading despite feeling like I spent nearly as much time in Act 3 as I did in Acts 1 and 2 combined.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
a2 is nice b/c its a nice, contained little area that still has a bunch of stuff to do and interesting things and places to go to, also playing 'how can i murder the entire tower without setting off the whole thing' is fun

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've never tried that, maybe I should. I've always just gone in with the Harpers and watched my persistent AoEs because those loving idiots will walk straight into a Cloudkill. I killed Jaheira with a flame wall the first time I played it because I didn't know how to cancel concentration spells and she just went to stand in it after the fight.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Shadowheart is one of the few romance partners that doesn't break up with the player for loving Mizora, although her reasons for polyamory are more sad than fun.

Karlach didn't either because I said I was sorry lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I have like 350 hours in bg3 at this point and I’ll be the first to admit that the game won goty purely on the strength of acts 1 and 2. I think act 3 doesn’t stick the landing at all and those criticisms are totally valid

I love act three the most actually

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've never tried that, maybe I should. I've always just gone in with the Harpers and watched my persistent AoEs because those loving idiots will walk straight into a Cloudkill. I killed Jaheira with a flame wall the first time I played it because I didn't know how to cancel concentration spells and she just went to stand in it after the fight.

you can go there ahead of time to 'scout' it and there's opportunities to covertly murder a lot of it, it makes the inevitable siege easier too since some of the defenders are dead or on your team

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The actual hardest part of rescuing Minthara is deciding what build I want to use with her. Already went paladin/warlock last run and I'd rather mix it up a bit this time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Minthara's vicious mockery insults are top tier.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Sloober posted:

a2 is nice b/c its a nice, contained little area that still has a bunch of stuff to do and interesting things and places to go to, also playing 'how can i murder the entire tower without setting off the whole thing' is fun

Funniest part about killing the tower piecemeal is how everybody takes a sword to the face and then the narrator says "Well, well, well, you were caught committing assault. You're going to be arrested"

No, I am murdering you! You are under attack! This is why all those other rooms are full of corpses! This is why the scrying eyes keep calling for backup and then mysteriously going silent! I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the situation, cultist #14!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

Funniest part about killing the tower piecemeal is how everybody takes a sword to the face and then the narrator says "Well, well, well, you were caught committing assault. You're going to be arrested"

No, I am murdering you! You are under attack! This is why all those other rooms are full of corpses! This is why the scrying eyes keep calling for backup and then mysteriously going silent! I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the situation, cultist #14!

You have the chance to smooth it over

yeah i do i'm gonna push him into the drink

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

started my honor run, going in mostly blind so i'm marking this one off as my evil durge playthrough and if i lose ill do it again as a good guy :) Sorry Karlach those nice Paladins of Tyr told me you were a bad guy >: )

wandering into the owlbear cave at level 3 with no spells and half health was a very dumb decision but it led to one of the funniest and most intense fights ever. absolutely nothing was landing and the only way i managed to stay alive was by repeatedly Enraged Throwing the Owlbear Cub at his mother and father so they'd drop prone lmao. Sorry little buddy can't wait to be friends later!!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think one of the things that really made me stop liking the game's plot direction was Dame Aylin stomping Ketheric's head in after you defeat him. I just found that excessively violent, especially coming from a "good" character. Even if the character was justified based on what had happened to them up to that point, it's not something I want to see.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sloober posted:

You have the chance to smooth it over

yeah i do i'm gonna push him into the drink

I liked how I told the dwarf his buddy fell in the river, so he ran inside to get something to fish the buddy the armor out. Of course when he went inside he had to step over the bodies of multiple guards before he ran back out again to lean over the edge of the dock.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Snake Maze posted:

These are not fun times for you, these are dark times!! ...not the kind of dark you like, a bad kind!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Thundarr posted:

The actual hardest part of rescuing Minthara is deciding what build I want to use with her. Already went paladin/warlock last run and I'd rather mix it up a bit this time.

She made a fantastic open hand monk during my harry durge bois playthrough, also poison immunity for high level monks comboes nicely with Gale's fartcloudkill spell strategies

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It is ok to like act 3 but it doesn’t tie up anything introduced in act 1 or 2 very well and in fact introduces a fuckton of brand new stuff it has to very quickly resolve which is pretty jarring.

My main gripe with Act 3 is that it is very easy to gently caress up and do quests or quest steps out of order, unless you know beforehand what's coming. Other than that, honestly, I think it does a good job of wrapping up most of the game-spanning quest lines, especially the companion ones.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Vargatron posted:

Between The Emperor, Orpheus, and Raphael, I don't feel like any choice I make is going to lead to an objectively good outcome and I can't fully trust ANY of them.

If you want a tiny peak ahead, those 3 are a liar, willing to be a martyr for the cause, and a literal devil. and you really do get to make choices that make you a big drat hero as things draw to a close.

Act 3 is great. It’s where builds really pay off, where you get positively broken gear, and it’s where you help your friends all become their best (or if you prefer, worst) selves. It’s big pay offs and great character moments and you can regularly decide that you have no interest in compromising with the evil folks because you’re strong enough to just end them and save the day.

Act 3 has more trolley problems, but most of them have a third solution that’s basically, “Easy. I just pick up the train and carry it past everyone tied to the tracks.” And then you can go smack around whoever tied everyone to the tracks in the first place.

Vargatron posted:

I think one of the things that really made me stop liking the game's plot direction was Dame Aylin stomping Ketheric's head in after you defeat him. I just found that excessively violent, especially coming from a "good" character. Even if the character was justified based on what had happened to them up to that point, it's not something I want to see.

This is also explicitly shown to be this character very badly working through their trauma and in the camp event afterwards she is clearly shaken and Isobel takes her away to rest and heal. If you read between the lines, she’s broken her Paladin oath and needs to do some work on herself.

It’s not justified at all. They are worse for having done it (even though the target is The Worst and I don’t feel bad about deposing them).

edit to realize I was thinking of the second violent scene, not Ketheric.

Point stands, though. Aylin’s uh … not okay.

And also edited because spolier is not the same as spoiler.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 8, 2024

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Vargatron posted:

"Excessively violent" seems more like that particular character's calling card than anything more broad about the game, if her cutscene with Lorroakan is any indication.

I have Questions for Selune, as well as for whoever directed their cutscenes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I once made an offhand remark that I didn't much like Dame Aylin (as opposed to Isobel who seems more chill) and almost got crucified for it, so watch out with this one

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

"Excessively violent" seems more like that particular character's calling card than anything more broad about the game, if her cutscene with Lorroakan is any indication.

I have Questions for Selune, as well as for whoever directed their cutscenes.

she reflects on the second one and it clearly bothers her. and the first one is pretty justifiable imo. i think they had it be so violent to emphasize that isolation and torture for however long it was had messed her up bad, and that selune wasn't just some generic lawful good angelic deity. can see how it'd bother others but it worked fine for me, i love her college rugby captain energy

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 8, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Weirdly, after rescuing Danis, he and Bex said their flying text and then Danis went off to stand by himself under the inn. Bex still has the line like he hasn't been rescued yet. Hopefully that doesn't break the "all tieflings saved" flag since they're at least both alive!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Phlegmish posted:

I once made an offhand remark that I didn't much like Dame Aylin (as opposed to Isobel who seems more chill) and almost got crucified for it, so watch out with this one

It's not that I don't like the character it's more of "why would you include this???" lol. That cutscene viscerally disgusted me.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, the headstomp is kind of weird because while you can reasonably infer that Dame Aylin was traumatized by the whole "100 years of isolation and torture" thing, you never get to play therapist and talk about it. She's just really brutal about killing people and it doesn't come up in dialogue.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vargatron posted:

It's not that I don't like the character it's more of "why would you include this???" lol. That cutscene viscerally disgusted me.

Oh yeah, I don't much like that sort of thing either. But I also was just not a huge fan of the character in general. Maybe because of the pompous speech pattern?

It still wasn't enough to betray her to Lorroakan, of course

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

It didn't feel out of character to me.

Aylin is an angelic being. She sees the world in purely black and white terms. There's no nuance to her actions. Evil is there to be mercilessly smashed and good is there to be celebrated. There's no moral greyness to her. And as an angelic being she has a supernatural drive towards what she perceives to be righteousness. Every action she takes is going to be big and instinctual. There will be no second guessing anything. What needs to be done is obvious for her.

She moves with the authority of someone who never suffers from doubt or introspection.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ginette Reno posted:

It didn't feel out of character to me.

Aylin is an angelic being. She sees the world in purely black and white terms. There's no nuance to her actions. Evil is there to be mercilessly smashed and good is there to be celebrated. There's no moral greyness to her. And as an angelic being she has a supernatural drive towards what she perceives to be righteousness. Every action she takes is going to be big and instinctual. There will be no second guessing anything. What needs to be done is obvious for her.

She moves with the authority of someone who never suffers from doubt or introspection.

Yeah I'm not speaking about the character, but rather the cutscene itself. It sickened me. I understand the character background and motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, the headstomp is kind of weird because while you can reasonably infer that Dame Aylin was traumatized by the whole "100 years of isolation and torture" thing, you never get to play therapist and talk about it. She's just really brutal about killing people and it doesn't come up in dialogue.

she's a vengance oath paladin op

Phlegmish posted:

They start "worshipping" her as a chosen of Shar, which she seems really into even though by the time I did that she had turned from Shar and was a cleric of selune according to her character sheet. Fantasy is fantasy I guess!