Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Ben Gvir is being his usual self (insane moron) again

"The name of the Border Police will be changed to the "National Guard", the Home Front Command will be expropriated from the IDF | Minister Ben Gvir's plan - which is expected to trigger a frontal confrontation with Minister Gallant"

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1744430593666896202?t=_xffIEzVN-bCFDuIDEOcmw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

I'm sure he meant "reduce and significantly get rid" of Gaza

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Malleum posted:

the holocaust happened to ashkenazi jews, the rank and file terrorists throwing babies into bread ovens in mandatory palestine were mizrahi jews and the few ashkenazim that made it there did not experience the holocaust because they were collaborating with nazis to assassinate british officers and hinder the allied war effort

not all mizrahi were or are zionists and they had to deal with their own localized antisemitism and pogroms but they in no way experienced the holocaust. the only interaction the founders of israel had had with the shoah was hearing stories of atrocities against the jews and deciding that they agreed with the perpetrators and needed to bomb synagogues and drive every jew into the holy land at the barrel of a gun

the holocaust (and, as was mentioned below, centuries of pogroms and expulsions) was a massively traumatizing event for all Jews, not just those who physically went to the camps. like, obviously it does not justify anything Zionists have done, and it’s in fact one of the clearest examples in history of a traumatized people re-enacting their trauma on others, but the idea that the early zionists were not deeply deranged by trauma is kind of weird. obviously they were, they just made the choice to react to it in the worst possible way and then doubled down on that mistake repeatedly over the next 75 years.

calling holocaust survivors “sabonim” is a trauma response, and like many trauma responses, it is in fact deeply hosed up and unhealthy for everyone involved.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Regarding the Al-Jazeera report of 9 dead soldiers- I founded the Hebrew source they were quoting, it was a field report from just now on Telegram, the state news channels/papers haven't reported on it yet so I didn't find it before. In somewhat related news:

"Fauda star Idan Amedi among wounded IDF soldiers in Gaza"

https://m.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-781319

lmao

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
wasn't the fauda showrunner killed in the first looney tunes fake tunnel bomb?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Sancho Banana posted:

Regarding the Al-Jazeera report of 9 dead soldiers- I founded the Hebrew source they were quoting, it was a field report from just now on Telegram, the state news channels/papers haven't reported on it yet so I didn't find it before. In somewhat related news:

"Fauda star Idan Amedi among wounded IDF soldiers in Gaza"

https://m.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-781319

lmao

Fauda also lost their chief sound editor Lior Waitzman

Reminder that one Fauda proposed plotline was a massive raid coming from Gaza and overrunning the border, which was discarded as too unrealistic

Also: an entire squad of Dudevan unit or whatever that the show was based on, got rekt on 10/7 iirc

OctaMurk has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Jan 8, 2024

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the holocaust (and, as was mentioned below, centuries of pogroms and expulsions) was a massively traumatizing event for all Jews, not just those who physically went to the camps. like, obviously it does not justify anything Zionists have done, and it’s in fact one of the clearest examples in history of a traumatized people re-enacting their trauma on others, but the idea that the early zionists were not deeply deranged by trauma is kind of weird. obviously they were, they just made the choice to react to it in the worst possible way and then doubled down on that mistake repeatedly over the next 75 years.

calling holocaust survivors “sabonim” is a trauma response, and like many trauma responses, it is in fact deeply hosed up and unhealthy for everyone involved.

Yeah, all of this, especially in bold. It sucks!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I must admit, simply announcing that you've won the war is an insanely powerful cheat code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9dLCVgIy24

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I must admit, simply announcing that you've won the war is an insanely powerful cheat code.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYMstCQxxaE

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Sancho Banana posted:

"The name of the Border Police will be changed to the "National Guard", the Home Front Command will be expropriated from the IDF | Minister Ben Gvir's plan - which is expected to trigger a frontal confrontation with Minister Gallant"

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1744430593666896202?t=_xffIEzVN-bCFDuIDEOcmw&s=19

These two fash idiots are going to tear their own government apart with moves like this surely?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cookie Cutter posted:

These two fash idiots are going to tear their own government apart with moves like this surely?

Now is the time for them to do this and maximize their activity though. Netanyahu needs them to stay in power, and wants the same things but is merely calmer in his hitlerocity. There is no better time, may never be a better time, for them to go full maximalist.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

you got your trauma language in my murderous political opportunism

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The Oldest Man posted:

you got your trauma language in my murderous political opportunism
This sort of language retraumatizes PoGs (persons of genocide)

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

OctaMurk posted:

Fauda also lost their chief sound editor Lior Waitzman

Reminder that one Fauda proposed plotline was a massive raid coming from Gaza and overrunning the border, which was discarded as too unrealistic

Also: an entire squad of Dudevan unit or whatever that the show was based on, got rekt on 10/7 iirc

fukken owned bitch

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Oldest Man posted:

It (a centralized common and control for the viet cong) did exist. Just not as a physical location that you could drop a bomb on.

bit torrents for military intelligence and control

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

imo early zionists were also just trying to replicate what every other nationality in europe was trying to do in the 19th and early 20th centuries. it was the thing to do, and while colonialism and nationalism are bad, given the historical context it's understandable that some jews pursued that.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Let's be really clear that identifying the trauma response in no way absolves these assholes. They wake up every day and CHOOSE to be monsters because they think being an alive monster is better than being a dead human and those are the only two options they think are available.

They could repent at any point before death, but seem to prefer this murder-suicide rather than healing or making amends. It's sick, it's killing innocent people, and it is anathema to what I always was taught about Judaism.

Dreylad posted:

imo early zionists were also just trying to replicate what every other nationality in europe was trying to do in the 19th and early 20th centuries. it was the thing to do, and while colonialism and nationalism are bad, given the historical context it's understandable that some jews pursued that.

Absolutely. They saw a tool suited for their purposes and grabbed it with both hands. It's a disgusting, antihuman tool, but it already broke open Pandora's box so why not get in on the action? It's understandable, it's just not really forgivable. (Death to western colonialism.)

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Jan 8, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

so what is the connection with watermelon

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Muscle Tracer posted:

It's a clever way to display the Palestinian colors (green white red black).

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

cat botherer posted:

This sort of language retraumatizes PoGs (persons of genocide)
PAWGS over POGS

(persons after willing genocide)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

palestinian flag colors, just having one is cause enough to be arrested by the colonial forces and jailed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

trauma responsing backward through time from the holocaust to establish a colonial banking trust in the 1880s that still funds illegal west bank settlement activities today

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Sancho Banana posted:

Come on, civil war

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Muscle Tracer posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/09/israel-security-minister-bans-palestinian-flag-flying-in-public

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Sancho Banana posted:

Goofus vs Doofus

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

The Oldest Man posted:

trauma responsing backward through time from the holocaust to establish a colonial banking trust in the 1880s that still funds illegal west bank settlement activities today

Literally just said it wasn't Holocaust trauma.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
do people really not know anything about the history of jews before the holocaust

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Al! posted:

do people really not know anything about the history of jews before the holocaust

-slaves in Egypt
-exiled
-exiled again
-holocaust
-october 7

nothing happened between those and it's antisemitic to suggest otherwise

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I feel like, once you're talking about people who didn't actually experience anything directly, it's really hard to draw a distinction between "trauma" and "people driving themselves insane via propaganda or harmful nurture."

Like you can argue that "a child repeatedly being told by their parents that everyone wants to kill them" is trauma, but the trauma is "being told that stuff," not anything that actually happened. It's like citing the trauma of someone whose parents constantly tell them that Mexicans illegally crossing the border are going to murder them. The fear of theirs might be real, but it's obviously not the same thing as "actually being traumatized by something that happened to you."

I'm Jewish and there's a very obvious distinction between the Jews whose parents drill this stuff into their children's heads and those (like me) who didn't have that happen.

edit: You can also just look at Israel's words and actions and see how they're directly analogous with other racist ethnostates. I don't think it makes sense to say that, say, South Africa was motivated by the trauma experienced by Afrikaners.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Al! posted:

no

(cliffnotes?)

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
God sets high standards for Jews, Jews fail to uphold those standards, God gets mad, God punishes Jews

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the cliffs notes version is that throughout most of the last 2000 years there were few places where jews were even allowed to exist, and in those places they were subject to everything from harassment to outright sanctioned murder. sometimes, like in spain, theyd just kick all the jews out of the country and took all their poo poo but then those jews had nowere to go, and were in fact spanish people of jewish heritage but late medieval europe didnt care about that. jews were simply not allowed to assimilate and even in places like germany where a lot of jews started to actually assimilate and become germans first and jews second, well we know how that story ended

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

-slaves in Egypt
-exiled
-exiled again
-holocaust
-october 7

nothing happened between those and it's antisemitic to suggest otherwise

They weren't slaves in Egypt (en masse at least) iirc. Certainly didn't build the pyramids as slaves in any case.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Al! posted:

the cliffs notes version is that throughout most of the last 2000 years there were few places where jews were even allowed to exist, and in those places they were subject to everything from harassment to outright sanctioned murder. sometimes, like in spain, theyd just kick all the jews out of the country and took all their poo poo but then those jews had nowere to go, and were in fact spanish people of jewish heritage but late medieval europe didnt care about that. jews were simply not allowed to assimilate and even in places like germany where a lot of jews started to actually assimilate and become germans first and jews second, well we know how that story ended
okay but how does the Islamic civ fit in to this because my impression was that the Jewish experience there was vastly different

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i guess it might not be common knowledge also but the reason jews are so heavily involved in banking and finance was because they were roped into doing it before the church declared that usury is actually cool with jesus now

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like, once you're talking about people who didn't actually experience anything directly, it's really hard to draw a distinction between "trauma" and "people driving themselves insane via propaganda or harmful nurture."

Like you can argue that "a child repeatedly being told by their parents that everyone wants to kill them" is trauma, but the trauma is "being told that stuff," not anything that actually happened. It's like citing the trauma of someone whose parents constantly tell them that Mexicans illegally crossing the border are going to murder them. The fear of theirs might be real, but it's obviously not the same thing as "actually being traumatized by something that happened to you."

I'm Jewish and there's a very obvious distinction between the Jews whose parents drill this stuff into their children's heads and those (like me) who didn't have that happen.

edit: You can also just look at Israel's words and actions and see how they're directly analogous with other racist ethnostates. I don't think it makes sense to say that, say, South Africa was motivated by the trauma experienced by Afrikaners.

eh i think being a jew who witnessed the rise of the nazis and then the attempt at the final solution to the problem of You and Your Kind in all its gruesome magnitude would've been at the very least intensely stressful, especially if you also had to deal with casual antisemitism on a more-or-less regular basis. it's very easy to imagine people going mad under the circumstances, and i don't think the language of trauma is inappropriate to describe this. i don't think it's sufficient to explain israel then or today, but i do think it's a contributing factor.

of course, people growing up now naturally feel very differently and - as you say - probably vary with upbringing and cultural baggage

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Leandros posted:

They weren't slaves in Egypt (en masse at least) iirc. Certainly didn't build the pyramids as slaves in any case.

reported to the ADL

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Leandros posted:

were slaves in Babylon though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Al! posted:

to add to this a bit - the official stance of the church, the most powerful organization that every european king owed fealty to, was that the jews were afflicted by a blood curse that made them responsible for the death of jesus and that every jew should be ostracized for it. this was official christian canon until like 1960 and every protestant splinter like luther was very clear that they hated the pope, but agreed with him wrt the hebrews