Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

couldn't sleep last night so I rewatched Best of the Worst: LA Wars, Unmasking the Idol, and Robowoman and between "people turned into moist-rear end cakes" and "what if... each ninja's style... is bred to theve a different ore" it's safe to say that Drunk Tim let out some certifiable bangers in his day

also lol at Robowoman being set in the dystopian nightmare future of 2024 A.D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

X JAKK posted:

Im sorry Desolation of Smaug permanently crippled the New Zealand film industry and you take your frustrations out by munching goofy pills and making internet strangers feel bad about themselves, ill try to be a better friend to you Kingo.

It still never fails to make me chuckle that the NZ government hosed over their actors' union in the hopes of becoming the permanent home of Hobbit-related poo poo, only for Amazon to go "we're going to film our new LotR series in the UK" instead

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Watched that movie Saltburn. Good performances and a solid concept, but it felt really flabby, like, almost every dramatic or “cool” scene needed some pruning because they all went on too long. The entire final bit, where Oliver reveals how he orchestrated all the bad poo poo that happened felt like it was left over from another script where it wasn’t patently obvious he was Steerpiking the family from the moment he arrived at Saltburn, and should have gone away entirely.

It’s worth a watch though, and is in my top twenty films where someone sucks cummy water from a tub drain!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What are the other 19

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

poisonpill posted:

What are the other 19

I don’t have another 19 yet. The one from Saltburn just inspired me to make a top twenty that I will fill out as I encounter more scenes of that nature. I made it on pasteboard. It’s resting on an easel in my living room. It’s already causing a terrible strain on my marriage.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I really like using the alamo drafthouse app. I think about digital ui's a lot and I feel like it's very well designed. I'm saying this because I just realized why I appreciate it so much: because every ticket website I've used in a browser handles like complete rear end

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

theres a comic con panel (I think) where reporters are like 'season 1 was such a hit, what are you gonna do with the bigger budget for season 2?' and you just see darabont and everyone on the panel wince bc behind the scenes the budget got massively slashed. TWD ended up being AMCs golden goose despite their best efforts to murder it.

its an indictment of our society that corporations run by people who have no idea what the gently caress theyre doing get to lurch on for another 50 years because of inertia

I remember following the news about this. The story was that they cut the budget for season 2 by a ton because they were being strong-armed by the guy who made Mad Men in a contract renegotiation for the final seasons. It was either let it go to HBO or pay up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mysterious frankie posted:

Watched that movie Saltburn. Good performances and a solid concept, but it felt really flabby, like, almost every dramatic or “cool” scene needed some pruning because they all went on too long. The entire final bit, where Oliver reveals how he orchestrated all the bad poo poo that happened felt like it was left over from another script where it wasn’t patently obvious he was Steerpiking the family from the moment he arrived at Saltburn, and should have gone away entirely.

It’s worth a watch though, and is in my top twenty films where someone sucks cummy water from a tub drain!

Love the mention of steerpiking, love the Ghormenghast books.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
There's another Quiet Place movie coming out this year. Just turn it into a 80's slasher at this point. I want the monster cracking jokes.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

for most of my life i thought con air was directed by michael bay. in hindsight its not crazy/stupid enough. but it has the same feel as the rock so you can see how i was confused

Simon West has had such a weird career.

fuzzyduckbutt posted:

Mike secretly switches out Rich's diet coke with regular coke so he can nurse him back from a diabetic coma

As dramatized in Phantom Thread (2017) Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

priznat posted:

Love the mention of steerpiking, love the Ghormenghast books.

Heck yeah! I’ve been thinking recently of doing a reread of the whole trilogy soon.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Heck yeah! I’ve been thinking recently of doing a reread of the whole trilogy soon.

Same, it has been ages and I barely remember bits. Was the adaptation any good? BBC iirc.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

priznat posted:

Same, it has been ages and I barely remember bits. Was the adaptation any good? BBC iirc.

I have no idea. I think at the time I assumed the BBC wouldn’t be able to pull off making a believable city sized gothic castle on a television budget so I didn’t bother tracking it down, then I forgot it existed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol Golden Globes

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems like a bad break to be a non succession drama in the year where succession ended. But don't worry pedro pascal, I'm sure you'll get the prize for the baby yoda show instead

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PostNouveau posted:

lol Golden Globes

I didn't even know they were on, but I'm enjoying the schadenfreude from some clips of this apparently disastrous monologue from some comedian I've never heard of:

https://twitter.com/taylorslavender/status/1744170521883770941

https://twitter.com/SpencerAlthouse/status/1744164455775096860

Like they're not even the worst jokes in the genre of lame award show humor, but the delivery puts them in the realm of negative comedy. No idea how this guy got this or any other gig.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lister posted:

I remember following the news about this. The story was that they cut the budget for season 2 by a ton because they were being strong-armed by the guy who made Mad Men in a contract renegotiation for the final seasons. It was either let it go to HBO or pay up.

if that's true and we're assuming they're working with finite resources, I probably would have made the same decision in their shoes. I'm not sacrificing my third yacht to fund a zombie soap opera, and anyway one mad men is worth ten thousand zombie soap operas

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Sir Lemming posted:

I didn't even know they were on, but I'm enjoying the schadenfreude from some clips of this apparently disastrous monologue from some comedian I've never heard of:

Like they're not even the worst jokes in the genre of lame award show humor, but the delivery puts them in the realm of negative comedy. No idea how this guy got this or any other gig.

fuckin hell thats some dire nonmedy, but do the golden globes really deserve better than open mic night quality?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Sir Lemming posted:

Norm Macdonald would’ve loving knocked those exact same words out of the park

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Gutcruncher posted:

Norm Macdonald would’ve loving knocked those exact same words out of the park

even adam eget would do better

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I assume all the entertainment industry wank festivals are having a hard time with ratings and nobody in production of em gives a poo poo anymore

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Many actors still care about awards direly and they can matter somewhat for everybody else's careers. The juxtaposition of this with how openly in shambles they are is itself entertaining

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have no idea. I think at the time I assumed the BBC wouldn’t be able to pull off making a believable city sized gothic castle on a television budget so I didn’t bother tracking it down, then I forgot it existed.

I remember seeing some shots and it was some pretty decent looking yet inexpensive FX shots using matte paintings etc. but that was ages ago and it might have aged like milk.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Monkey Fracas posted:

I assume all the entertainment industry wank festivals are having a hard time with ratings and nobody in production of em gives a poo poo anymore

This is what I see. The entertainment industry has nepotism'd itself into a death spiral married to executive dumbassness that's poisoned the whole thing. Nobody cares, millions of other things to occupy your time with and streaming isn't profitable.
I guess we can be charitable and call it a 'contraction'

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sir Lemming posted:

No idea how this guy got this or any other gig.

Chris Rock, Ali Wong, Will Arnett, Sean Hayes and Jason Bateman all turned it down

(That isn't a joke btw, although it's funnier than Jo Koy has ever been in his life)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
who the gently caress is Jo Koy.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I'm da jokoy baby

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Dijkstracula posted:

couldn't sleep last night so I rewatched Best of the Worst: LA Wars, Unmasking the Idol, and Robowoman and between "people turned into moist-rear end cakes" and "what if... each ninja's style... is bred to theve a different ore" it's safe to say that Drunk Tim let out some certifiable bangers in his day

also lol at Robowoman being set in the dystopian nightmare future of 2024 A.D.

Unmasking the idol is an amazing movie

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I remember Jo Koy had a show on E! when I was a teenager.

I liked The Soup

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

should have been called no jo koy

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Cubone posted:

I'm da jokoy baby

They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out like a leper! You see, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
jo-koy watch

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

No jokes, oy!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

really quick: is spielberg's AI worth seeing in a theatre or not. unsure if the lukewarm rating on letterboxd is a "controversial" 3 or a "boring" 3

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

kalel posted:

really quick: is spielberg's AI worth seeing in a theatre or not. unsure if the lukewarm rating on letterboxd is a "controversial" 3 or a "boring" 3

hell yes do it

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

kalel posted:

It’s absolutely a controversial 3. Go for it!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

kalel posted:

should have been called no jo koy

kalel no jo koy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thanks y'all. love me a controversial 3

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

kalel posted:

Absolutely. I count myself among the "the ending ruined it" crowd, but it's still an excellent film in almost every way. And some people are able to reconcile the ending so it's very much YMMV. Worth watching for sure.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jo Koy is the Filipino version of George Lopez. That's really all you need to know. He's fine in that non offensive racial dad humor type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Cubone posted:

I'm da jokoy baby