Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It does kinda make you wonder what exactly knocked him out so hard.

Biden may be worried about getting a replacement through congress.

Wasn’t it complications from cosmetic surgery?

They could just have the deputy be acting Secretary indefinitely if they can’t get a new guy past Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

mutata posted:

I would predict that the rise of the "cashless society" means kids today develop different emotional attachments and motivations with regards to money than past generations did.

And less permanence or hard limits

Am i broke at 0 or am i broke at when all my cards maxed, know too many people say the latter

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gripweed posted:

"Elective surgery," so not necessarily cosmetic, but it was not something medically necessary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"Elective surgery," so not necessarily cosmetic, but it was not something medically necessary.

In the absence of official confirmation, I’m going to be assuming it was pec implants.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

In the absence of official confirmation, I’m going to be assuming it was pec implants.

SecDef showing up at the next press conference looking like Handsome Squidward.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Or that was just a lie. I mean national security.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Or that was just a lie. I mean national security.

He probably wouldn't be in much trouble if he were rushed to the hospital for a medical emergency unexpectedly. It seems like he told his deputy that he would be out, but didn't tell him why. He also didn't tell anyone else.

So I think the issue is that he didn't tell anyone rather than the fact that he was in the hospital at all.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
obvious cover story for parachuting him into north korea on a one man commando mission to rescue jack ryan

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gripweed posted:

They could just have the deputy be acting Secretary indefinitely if they can’t get a new guy past Congress.

That starts getting into legally iffy territory, though, the longer it goes on, as we saw with Trump.

But as we also saw with Trump, he could be replaced with literally anyone else who has also been confirmed by Congress, because the legal requirement is per person, not per person per office. Although I guess SecDef has a bit more job requirements than the typical cabinet position, so might not be quite as interchangeable as they are.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fuschia tude posted:

That starts getting into legally iffy territory, though, the longer it goes on, as we saw with Trump.

But as we also saw with Trump, he could be replaced with literally anyone else who has also been confirmed by Congress, because the legal requirement is per person, not per person per office. Although I guess SecDef has a bit more job requirements than the typical cabinet position, so might not be quite as interchangeable as they are.

Bah gawd, is that Secretary Buttigieg’s music?!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Dick embiggening surgery.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Young Freud posted:

Dick embiggening surgery.

Honestly, the two most likely scenarios are:

1) He went in for a minor elective surgery and didn't think it would be a big deal, but there was some complication/surgical error that put him out for a day or two and he didn't think to call because he and his doctors were trying to figure out what happened. He should have called once he was up, but somewhat understandable to forget/try to figure out what happened to you during a minor elective procedure first in that scenario.

2) He went in for an extremely embarrassing elective surgery (such as dick embiggening surgery) and didn't want anyone to know. Some complication/surgical error put him out for a day or two and he thought he could wait it out for another day and then come back without having to explain his dick embiggening surgery to anyone or have it be national news.

The timeline of what we know is:

- He called the deputy and said to take over for a bit (did not say why and just said he would be out).
- Went to get minor elective surgery
- ~*Something*~ happened.
- He went to the emergency room for a night.
- He was in the normal hospital ward for two days.
- He finally called to let them know where he was.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 8, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Speaking from having family be laid low by complications after surgery, they can knock you on your rear end for a long time. Something that should be a quick surgery/stitchup/send the patient home in an afternoon turns into a several-month long affair because whoops, at some point something wasn't properly sanitized and infection set in.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

He might not have been conscious enough to make the call if something went wrong and they shoved a lot of drugs into him to stabilize him.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
We get people that end up in the ICU after colonoscopies (normally outpatient) because sometimes things happen like accidentally perforating the colon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

AtomikKrab posted:

He might not have been conscious enough to make the call if something went wrong and they shoved a lot of drugs into him to stabilize him.

Once he was out of the emergency room, it seems pretty unlikely that he was unconscious and had no opportunity to call anyone for the next two days.

Even if he was out of it for all three days, he should have at least let his deputy know that the reason he would be out for a bit before he left. If everyone knew it was supposed to be an afternoon or a day for an elective surgery, then people would think to check on him after 2 days.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A spy slipped a bug into the incision when no one was looking

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

haveblue posted:

A spy slipped a bug into the incision when no one was looking

Finally, after years of research and patience, and some bribes to the right nurses, project Reverse Acoustic Kitty Secretary is go for launch

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Newsom announces the date for the special election to fill Kevin McCarthy's seat.

It is a solid red district and only one Democrat has announced - teacher Marisa Wood (who also ran against McCarthy in 2022).

There are 8 Republicans considering running in the jungle primary.

The leading candidate is California Assemblyman Vince Fong, but he is currently in a legal battle to determine whether he can even run. He already filed papers to appear on the 2024 ballot in California for his assembly seat, but California law prevents someone from appearing on the ballot for two different offices. He could run in the special election, but would only be able to serve a few months and could not appear on the 2024 ballot if he loses his lawsuit.

If Fong is unable to run, then a long list of relatively obscure Republicans will be the nominee. It will be one of:

quote:

Small business owner David Giglio.
Tulare sheriff Mike Boudreaux
Business owner Kyle Kirkland
Businessman Stan Ellis
Cal City Mayor Kelly Kulikoff
Nathan Wilkins
Matthew Stoll

There is also a former Democrat running as an independent - "Science professional" Ben Dewell - and another independent: Bakersfield business owner TJ Esposito.

Edit: After googling, Ben Dewell is a meteorologist and weatherman. I have no idea why he decided he wanted to include "Science Professional" in his title instead of meteorologist.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1744420899384598711

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 8, 2024

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Randalor posted:

Speaking from having family be laid low by complications after surgery, they can knock you on your rear end for a long time. Something that should be a quick surgery/stitchup/send the patient home in an afternoon turns into a several-month long affair because whoops, at some point something wasn't properly sanitized and infection set in.

In early 2023, a friend in her early-50s died on the table during an elective surgery. And in late 2023, our school's front office worker in her 40s stroked out on the table during an elective surgery. I had a call into a bariatric surgery place around the time I heard about the second person, and I quickly decided against the surgery. It's like the Max 737 Alaska flight, there are hundreds of flights every day that fly with no problem, but just enough crash or malfunction for me to worry.

Back on topic, has there been any more public backlash against Speaker Johnson and his exact same spending deal as McCarthy? Anyone calling for a new speaker vote, preferably after Jan 21st when (other) Rep. Johnson retires and before Scalise comes back from his stem cell treatments?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

At least the initial reports said he was in the ICU a couple of days. So if he had something like an anesthesia complication from some surgery that was expected to be minor and home the same day he could have been incapacitated i.e. on a ventilator and sedated for a day or so and unable to notify anyone. In that instance to not tell his chain of command that he was having surgery and have a contingency plan was irresponsible.

I could see where he was having something “embarassing” like cosmetic surgery, penile implant, getting warts lasered off his weenie or taint etc. and did not want to tell anyone but you have to consider the possibility of unexpected problems. A colonoscopy (usually home and essentially back to normal same day) could also be complicated by a perforation requiring surgery and a hospital stay, or, again, anesthesia complications.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 8, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Once he was out of the emergency room, it seems pretty unlikely that he was unconscious and had no opportunity to call anyone for the next two days.

Even if he was out of it for all three days, he should have at least let his deputy know that the reason he would be out for a bit before he left. If everyone knew it was supposed to be an afternoon or a day for an elective surgery, then people would think to check on him after 2 days.

Operating room, and if he went from OR to the ICU, then again, he might not even have been awake enough to make a call out.

Now really there should be a thing where you tell whoever that you are going in for a same day in and out, if I am not back by X time, then notify the president something went wrong etc etc.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VorpalBunny posted:

Back on topic, has there been any more public backlash against Speaker Johnson and his exact same spending deal as McCarthy? Anyone calling for a new speaker vote, preferably after Jan 21st when (other) Rep. Johnson retires and before Scalise comes back from his stem cell treatments?

Ironically, it is actually slightly worse (for republicans in terms of spending) than McCarthy's deal because it only covers one year and has slightly more "wasteful" discretionary spending.

And yes, the Freedom Caucus and several Republicans have said it is "unacceptable" and Chip Roy is leading a group who will try to block it and force a government shutdown because it doesn't include any border provisions. Nobody is talking about deposing Speaker Johnson as of yet, though.

https://twitter.com/RepChipRoy/status/1744386682579792301

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 8, 2024

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chip Roy preparing to smack the hornet's nest again, thinking this time it will totally work.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Angry_Ed posted:

Chip Roy preparing to smack the hornet's nest again, thinking this time it will totally work.

He's mostly grandstanding because he knows there are enough Republicans who won't shut down the government for 10 months in an election year to bail him out. It is funny that Republicans aren't even really pretending to act like spending cuts were important to them anymore. They basically threw in the towel on any spending cuts once they got a chunk of the bonus IRS enforcement money. The highest priorities are immigration and not enforcing tax collection on wealthy people.

They aren't even proposing specific cuts anymore because it is unpopular and pointless. The only major riders that Republicans are fighting to include in the budget are related to immigration and, weirdly, micromanaging very specific policies in D.C.

They have proposed amendments to prevent D.C. from using automated traffic enforcement in any form, prevent D.C. from expanding abortion and birth control funding, and to stop D.C. from modifying any commercial or residential zoning rules in Southwest D.C.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 8, 2024

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

rscott posted:

By far the funniest piece of the Claudine Gay saga is Bill Ackman's wife getting caught plagiarizing from Wikipedia of all places, and his all too predictable meltdown over how unfair the media was being to his wife

https://twitter.com/BillAckman/status/1744336502488727688?t=KoCzvpyxhXFc4HWydJVTjw&s=19

In a new darkly hilarious development that every Republican free speech-defender is surely widely criticizing, the new German owner of Business Insider is now promising to "review" their report on Neri Oxman (Bill Ackman's wife)'s plagiarism after Ackman implied Business Insider was doing so because Oxman is Israeli.

quote:

The person familiar with Axel Springer’s discussions said company leaders are concerned that the reporting on Oxman could have been antisemitic or anti-Zionist — even though it consists primarily of straightforward comparisons between Oxman’s publications and the texts she allegedly plagiarized from.

While Ackman hasn’t raised factual issues with the articles, he has claimed that the outlet didn’t give him and his wife enough time to comment on the second story, about Wikipedia plagiarism, with a space of roughly two hours on late Friday afternoon between when his spokesman was asked for comment and when the story was published. But Ackman first went public with the Wikipedia allegations roughly an hour before the story was published by posting on social media about the impending article, which may have affected Business Insider’s publication schedule.

While Ackman boosted the plagiarism allegations against Gay, he has questioned whether the lifting of numerous paragraphs from Wikipedia can even count as plagiarism. In a 5,100-word series of posts on X on Saturday night, Ackman compared some forms of plagiarism to spelling errors, saying it’s important to consider whether plagiarism is “pervasive” in an academic’s work.

“It does not strike me as plagiarism, nor do I think it takes anything away from her work,” he wrote of his wife’s alleged Wikipedia plagiarism.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Motherfucker typed north of 5k words on twitter. Holy poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Since all the Republican candidates seem to be making weird civil war statements this week, Trump has decided to stay very on-brand and claims that he could have prevented the civil war if he was President at the time by making a deal with the south and that Lincoln made a huge mistake.

He also seems to imply that Lincoln started the civil war because he wanted to be remembered in the history books.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1744444127045951917

quote:

Former President Trump said he believed the Civil War could have been avoided through negotiation, though that would’ve changed the legacy of former President Lincoln.

Trump, at an Iowa rally Saturday, said he finds the conflict “fascinating” but “so horrible.” He also noted the high death toll.

“So many mistakes were made. See, there was something I think could have been negotiated, to be honest with you. I think you could’ve negotiated that. All the people died, so many people died,” he said.

It is estimated that 620,000 soldiers died from 1861-65.

He added Lincoln could have negotiated to avoid the war, but he would not have been as well-known as he is today.

“Abraham Lincoln, of course if he negotiated it, you probably wouldn’t even know who Abraham Lincoln was,” Trump said. “He would have been president, but he would have been president, and he wouldn’t have been the Abraham Lincoln. Would’ve been different, but that would’ve been OK.”

“I know it very well. I know the whole process that they went through, and they just couldn’t get along, and that would’ve been something that could have been negotiated and they wouldn’t have had that problem,” he continued.

The former president and 2024 GOP front-runner’s comments come after fellow Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley faced backlash last month over her response to a question from a voter about the cause of the Civil War.

Haley said in response to the question that the war was fought over the role of government and “how government was going to run, the freedoms and what people could and couldn’t do,” not mentioning slavery. She later said she “assumed it was a given” the war was about slavery.

Trump has received some criticism in the days since he made his comments about the war. GOP presidential candidate Ron DeSantis told ABC he did not understand what Trump was trying to say.

“I don’t even know what he’s talking about — Lincoln did what he had to do. He ended up ushering in the abolition of slavery, and he saved the Union,” DeSantis said.

Former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) questioned how the war could have been avoided in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.

“Which part of the Civil War ‘could have been negotiated’? The slavery part? The secession part? Whether Lincoln should have preserved the Union? Question for members of the GOP—the party of Lincoln—who have endorsed Donald Trump: How can you possibly defend this?” she said.

Extensive negotiations over the status of slavery occurred for years leading up to the eventual secession of the southern states and the outbreak of the Civil War. Multiple pieces of legislation had been passed by Congress in the years before the war to try to reach a compromise to satisfy the North and the South.

But Lincoln’s election in 1860 for the Republican Party, which formed around a platform of stopping the spread of slavery into new states and territories, led states to begin seceding. Seven southern states seceded from the Union after Lincoln’s election but before he took office.

The war formally began about a month after Lincoln was sworn in.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Motherfucker typed north of 5k words on twitter. Holy poo poo.

According to the Financial Times Ackman has posted 28,200 words on Twitter since December 1st

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

rscott posted:

According to the Financial Times Ackman has posted 28,200 words on Twitter since December 1st

The man is worth $4 billion and has chosen to spend all his time arguing with people on Twitter.

Maybe billionaires do have a lot more in common with regular people than we thought.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

rscott posted:

Wearing his thumbs down to nubs, one tweet at a time.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

The man is worth $4 billion and has chosen to spend all his time arguing with people on Twitter.

Maybe billionaires do have a lot more in common with regular people than we thought.

Many of them don't have real interactions, in person, with someone who isn't also a billionaire or dependent on them for status/income. So the novelty of getting told to screw themselves by some random person is thrilling.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

The difference being he was able to get the head of an Ivy league university shitcanned with those words. I don't think your going to convince anyone in his camp he was wasting his time, he won.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DynamicSloth posted:

The difference being he was able to get the head of an Ivy league university shitcanned with those words. I don't think your going to convince anyone in his camp he was wasting his time, he won.

Only a couple thousand were about Harvard directly. The vast majority have been his multiple essays about how unfairly they are treating his wife and yelling at people while defending his wife's plagiarism.

A full 20% of all his words typed into Twitter in the last month were in the last 48 hours.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Since all the Republican candidates seem to be making weird civil war statements this week, Trump has decided to stay very on-brand and claims that he could have prevented the civil war if he was President at the time by making a deal with the south and that Lincoln made a huge mistake.

He also seems to imply that Lincoln started the civil war because he wanted to be remembered in the history books.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1744444127045951917

I know that it’s Trump and he just Says poo poo without even pretending to have thought behind it and follow l-up questions would be pointless,

But god dammit so want to know what he thinks the deal would be.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Lord of Hats posted:

I know that it’s Trump and he just Says poo poo without even pretending to have thought behind it and follow l-up questions would be pointless,

So, there was talking in the runup to the war of something called the Crittendon Compromise. It basically intended to put in the US constitution a boundary line between slave and free states, as well as constitutionally banning personal liberty laws while putting the Fugitive Slave Acts in the constitution itself. The problem is, there was never really any support for it in the north. It was seen as a maximalist demand at the end of a line of maximalist demands throughout the 1850s in the north and was never going to be the basis of a serious negotiated settlement.

For reference, the Dred Scott decision for example had called into question whether a state could actually ban slavery altogether.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Lord of Hats posted:

Constitutional amendment to change 3/5th compromise to 2/5th.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
South can have a little slavery, as a treat

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Donnie with every single bad history thing : i would have won if it was me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

haveblue posted:

South can have a little slavery, as a treat

No, I believe you'll find that was called "Reconstruction"