Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Good to know I'm not the only one - the amount of unskippable dialogue post-Death and waiting around while rewards fall from the sky is kind of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The inability to skip boss speeches is definitely annoying, and I know I'd love an option to, like, quintuple the speed with which post-boss rewards spawn in. I dunno what sources of unnecessary slowdown there are...maybe the player death animation?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah that one's also very annoying lol It's funny because it didn't bother me in Hades but Tiny Rogues is such a fast-paced game that the small slowdowns really stand out

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is there some way to tell what attack pattern a weapon has without trying it out that i'm missing?

i absolutely loathe the melee weapons that go in a loop with a targeting reticle and it feels completely arbitrary which ones use that

e: also unrelated but is there a hidden mechanic to make ranged weapons more inaccurate when moving or is that just the autotarget on controller being bad? with some weapons using a controller it's just not possible to hit enemies without standing still :negative:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 8, 2024

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Your Computer posted:

is there some way to tell what attack pattern a weapon has without trying it out that i'm missing?

i absolutely loathe the melee weapons that go in a loop with a targeting reticle and it feels completely arbitrary which ones use that

e: also unrelated but is there a hidden mechanic to make ranged weapons more inaccurate when moving or is that just the autotarget on controller being bad? with some weapons using a controller it's just not possible to hit enemies without standing still :negative:

Most weapons fall into a sort of archetype they adhere to. Flails and Bibles do the orbiting attack thing, scrolls and launchers are mouse-targeted, Axes are thrown projectiles, Staves fire laser beams, and so on, and so forth. Doesn't 100% work - swords sometimes shoot projectiles out and sometimes fire big boomerang swords out, for instance - but you can generally get a decent idea of what a weapon does by thinking about what archetype it belongs to.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The big curving boomerang swords are generally the 2H swords, 1H swords are mostly straight little swooshes. Both suck in their own ways although they're still usable if the weapon is good enough (it usually isn't, very few of them do multiple projectiles and they have a hard time competing with weapons that do.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Most weapons fall into a sort of archetype they adhere to. Flails and Bibles do the orbiting attack thing, scrolls and launchers are mouse-targeted, Axes are thrown projectiles, Staves fire laser beams, and so on, and so forth. Doesn't 100% work - swords sometimes shoot projectiles out and sometimes fire big boomerang swords out, for instance - but you can generally get a decent idea of what a weapon does by thinking about what archetype it belongs to.

swords are exactly what i'm having trouble with, yeah :v: most of the big two-handed swords do the aiming reticle but some work like a boomerang and other swords are usually like daggers except sometimes a weapon like the katana uses the aiming reticle thing anyway

today i finally found out why the soul scarf is so good

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:drat:

What did you do, raid Scrooge McDuck's soul storage?!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's a completely unrelated topic but i feel like melee weapons (or specifically any weapon with a very short range) are so much more difficult than long range weapons it feels like the only reason you'd wanna use them is for the extra challenge.

like almost all of the bosses and enemies have bullet patterns that originate from the monster, so the closer you are the harder (or even impossible) it becomes to dodge them as the bullets spread out the further away they get. i have no clue how you'd design around this without redesigning the entire game but it bums me out

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

:drat:

What did you do, raid Scrooge McDuck's soul storage?!

5 gold per full heal (flask refill), 3 flasks, drinking a flask grants a soul heart, just keep drinking and healing and drinking and healing :')

e:
there's something else i've been wondering about! the game isn't very clear on what counts as mana star (stat) vs. mana star (pickup) - i notice that you get buffs when you pick up the mana stars on the ground, but are those the only mana star buffs or do you also get passive buffs from just having a certain number of stars?

for example in this trait

it sounds like you get 20% more damage per mana star you have but does it actually just grant you buffs when you pick up?

also some of the text is messed up and i have no idea why. % and some other symbols just display as a box :iiam:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 8, 2024

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The traits that trigger on mana star pickup usually have another box explaining what the pickup actually provides, that's a good point of reference. The one you mention only cares about your mana bar, essentially.

Honestly I have my gripes about the game and its balance but, at least personally, I don't doubt for a second the dev will be able to pull off an all--timer given the quality of the updates so far. That said this is only ver 0.2.0 so I assume the game will spend a long-rear end time in EA.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the upgrades. Is it worth clearing them and rebuilding from the ground up depending on what class you're doing a run for, or are there any upgrades that are always worth keeping?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the upgrades. Is it worth clearing them and rebuilding from the ground up depending on what class you're doing a run for, or are there any upgrades that are always worth keeping?

Assuming you mean the bonfire meta progression path, I think there are some classes that might want some specific upgrades but for the most part you can keep them the same.

Minor examples I can think of are Barb wants the +30% chance of item for higher stat more because strength does everything, various classes with good starting weapons might want the +% chance of same class weapon (but people with fists don't), etc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mostly i leave my mastery tree the same between runs, though i flex between the one that's 4 items in the boss room for no-hitting the floor and the one that halves the chance of curses eating a talent choice

otherwise my tree is basically to control or reduce the effect of bad RNG. so all the top-left stuff, the one that gives extra red dice with every dice pickup, all blacksmiths can go to 4, magic find on no-hitting bosses, guaranteeing taverns, and guaranteeing at least one secret per floor

i also really like the one that turns the "at least 1 reward is rare/epic/etc" boss room option into "all rewards are at least rare/epic/etc" but i hate the node that gives you more or tougher enchanted packs so i don't have it rn

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

mostly i leave my mastery tree the same between runs, though i flex between the one that's 4 items in the boss room for no-hitting the floor and the one that halves the chance of curses eating a talent choice

otherwise my tree is basically to control or reduce the effect of bad RNG. so all the top-left stuff, the one that gives extra red dice with every dice pickup, all blacksmiths can go to 4, magic find on no-hitting bosses, guaranteeing taverns, and guaranteeing at least one secret per floor

i also really like the one that turns the "at least 1 reward is rare/epic/etc" boss room option into "all rewards are at least rare/epic/etc" but i hate the node that gives you more or tougher enchanted packs so i don't have it rn

If you play with the more enchanted packs cinder I feel like the weaker/but more enchanted node is pretty free. You're already pretty much fighting all enchanted either way but they die faster.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I just built out my masteries to give me as much loot as possible. I can ignore/mitigate RNG if I'm drowning in gold, souls, and loot.

Top branch: Smash & Grab, Trust Issues, Secret Service, Window Shopper, Supply & Demand (gold up, souls down)
Left branch: Lucky Start, Left to Fate, Compromised Loot, Thief in the Shadows, Spoiled for Choice.
Bottom branch: Drinking on the Dot, Smuggler's Nook.

The remaining points I just use on QoL stuff.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good to know. I'll keep stuff I like around, then.

Also, am I missing something with Mystic? They're undertuned as gently caress. Their special skill really isn't that impressive and doesn't scale well at all.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game doesn't really aim for equal class balance, but the Mystic skill is actually pretty great - Charms are overall really excellent and getting double benefits from them can be huge.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Good to know. I'll keep stuff I like around, then.

Also, am I missing something with Mystic? They're undertuned as gently caress. Their special skill really isn't that impressive and doesn't scale well at all.

Starting with the magic find charm already feels pretty strong. I think there are some weird charms that don't get doubled but a lot of the 2x charms seem really good?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Demon Hunter is extremely good and fun.

The class power is meeting Tainted rooms with more enemies but also double the rewards. If you get a half-decent weapon, you can really snowball hard, because instead of getting one +3 stat bonus, get two! Instead of getting half a dozen dice, get a dozen! One weapon chest? gently caress that, gimme two!

Combine this with the Piggy Bank minion and the "if you only have one minion, you get 300% the bonus" talent and I was one shotting everything by the third floor and erasing bosses in a couple of seconds.

E: I think it's high time for me to start looking into Cinders now that I have an actual win streak going.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 8, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Mystic is pretty RNG dependent but on average is decent-to-good.

The benchmark for an average kinda meh class seems to be somewhere in the ballpark of a ~30% conditional DPS bonus, maybe a little more if the stars align. The average offensive enchantment or charm might be in the ballpark of +10% DPS, so mystic needs to string together a couple of those to be competitive. That's more hoops to jump through than most characters to get up to baseline power, but there's also a bunch of wacky hijinks the mystic can get up to beyond that raw DPS bonus, and if you find a really big bonus then the mystic catapults to pretty goddamn strong.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I feel like the weapon itemization is kind of off, where a single weapon outright wins runs without needing to build around it. I had an epic staff that was taking maybe 20-30 seconds to clear a normal room, then I found some bible that killed the final stage 12 boss in 5 seconds on its own with no synergy from gear or anything, and it had a negative damage enchantment. It kind of feels like there should be a smoother weapon damage curve, not finding a single item that improves your damage 2000% and winning, or not and losing.

I am still bad enough at dodging that I need to abuse the soul scarf though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Are flails garbage or have I just not come across the right combo for them? On another note, it drives me insane whenever I see a weapon that does 8k damage at the high end and 22 at the low end. :argh:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think for the most part weapon balance is fine - the majority of the weapons in the game can win the game - but Magic weapons in particular have a lot of duds. Going for a magic build is still fine because mana scaling gets ludicrous but it's probably the most dependent on finding a good weapon.

If you want consistency go for ranged weapons, almost every single one of them is good and many are great.

It's also good sometimes to have separate weapons for clearing rooms vs. fighting bosses. Some weapons are great at one but not the other.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 8, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There are tons of mediocre single-shot ranged weapons, many of which have barely better than melee range. Yeah they're playable but there's zero balance between them and even other ranged weapons in the same rarity band that fire a lot more hits per shot.

Weapon balance is supposed to be a focus for the upcoming patch.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Azran posted:

Are flails garbage or have I just not come across the right combo for them? On another note, it drives me insane whenever I see a weapon that does 8k damage at the high end and 22 at the low end. :argh:

I think they are mostly garbage, but yesterday I got a flail that somehow rotated at about 800% speed, which meant that I was a whirling fiery blender that was also shooting lasers everywhere. that was hilarious.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like flails because they turn the game into vampire survivors (i don't use aim assist)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

There are tons of mediocre single-shot ranged weapons, many of which have barely better than melee range. Yeah they're playable but there's zero balance between them and even other ranged weapons in the same rarity band that fire a lot more hits per shot.

Weapon balance is supposed to be a focus for the upcoming patch.

On that note, I would love it if weapon item cards included an "average DPS" stat and a "number of projectiles" stat. It's kind of hard to compare weapons when you don't have that information. For example, the Grandmaster Shuriken looks kind of meh, until you realize that it has triple shot and is doing wildly more damage than its card would suggest.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you can find the chain chomp flail, it's actually pretty decent, since it hits twice on every attack.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Even many of the single-hit bows are pretty great because they have homing arrows so you don't have to aim, and quivers are extremely good, and overall Ranged attacks have the best talent choices to support them IMO. Especially if you use the meta upgrade that makes your talents more strongly influence future talent choices it's really easy to grab 100% crushing hit chance and +150% crit multiplier at close range and the one that makes ranged attacks always count as close range. And if you're stacking all that dex you'll probably get transcendence + harmony too, so you can just stand in a corner and fire your single-shot bow blindly and wipe out the whole room in a couple seconds.

The crossbows are almost universally better than bows for room clearing though to be fair.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 8, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the bow with silver bolt always feels like such a killer

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Btw, twitter previews for next patch so far:

-Spellblade works on all melee weapons
-Nature damage has its own elemental ailment and infusion available, and counts as elemental damage
-There's a tavern NPC who will give any weapon the mana-draining modifier, and another resin infusion for the same

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

the holy poopacy posted:

-There's a tavern NPC who will give any weapon the mana-draining modifier, and another resin infusion for the same

Woah, crazy amount of potential there.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Azran posted:

Flails are orbitals, and thus add an extra trigger, sometimes multiple extra triggers, to your on orbital effects.

The knob twiddler might be the best uncommon weapon in the game, but poisoned throwing knives are probably real close.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
For me it's Octoshot crossbow. How is it balanced!!!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If anyone wants to play around with legendary weapons, the alchemist will give you basically an endless supply.

You'll probably have one by, like, floor 3

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
My favorite uncommon weapon has to be Arc Staff. Unparalleled ease of use in one itty bitty package.

I admit that orbital weapons probably aren't bad, but those + the delayed ground-target items change targeting and spacing too much for me to bother with when my number one priority is dodging.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I think they are mostly garbage, but yesterday I got a flail that somehow rotated at about 800% speed, which meant that I was a whirling fiery blender that was also shooting lasers everywhere. that was hilarious.

The Gunchaku is a hilarious weapon, but I like other weapons more.

Shock weapons can be garbage, but they have a huge number of sequential triggers available. If you can combine that with a source of crushing hit, preferably Glass Cannon or the Strength trait that gives 100% crushing at the cost of 0% crit, then that weapon which does 27-4000 damage is suddenly doing 4000 damage several times a second and making GBS threads out a few more four digit secondaries and triggers on top of that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i wish the class unlocks used a different system because right now i've unlocked some of the new classes which all sound really weird and fun but i know that i can't unlock anything by playing them and i have to play the old classes (several of which i don't like) instead over and over to ascend to the throne(s) if i want to unlock more

Pain of Mind posted:

I feel like the weapon itemization is kind of off, where a single weapon outright wins runs without needing to build around it. I had an epic staff that was taking maybe 20-30 seconds to clear a normal room, then I found some bible that killed the final stage 12 boss in 5 seconds on its own with no synergy from gear or anything, and it had a negative damage enchantment. It kind of feels like there should be a smoother weapon damage curve, not finding a single item that improves your damage 2000% and winning, or not and losing.

I am still bad enough at dodging that I need to abuse the soul scarf though.

just had this experience today.... my best weapon up until floor 10 was some laser staff that i got literally on floor 1 and i just never got anything better and it was a slow and boring run (and i abused the heck out of the soul scarf so i could have a chance at the bosses with how little damage i was doing). then on floor 10 i got a treasure scroll and the rest of the game went like this

https://i.imgur.com/ymZ0vMf.mp4

e: on the topic of favorite weapons/builds i think my absolute favorite thing in the game has to be "cast on crit". there are so many possible combinations and synergies and it just feels so fun to cast rain of frogs or shoot chain lightning or whatever whenever you crit

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 9, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Cast on crit is pretty sweet, and it feels pretty good as a payout when everything falls your way. It kinda sucks that sometimes it just falls apart though (only good purple is magic or bad triggers suck).

I'm trying to go for a Cinder 16 win and it feels like most runs fall apart really quick - anybody got some class recommendations?

It feels like any character without a good weapon on floor 1 is a giant pain in the rear end to play - maybe just grind alchemist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

WarpedLichen posted:

Cast on crit is pretty sweet, and it feels pretty good as a payout when everything falls your way. It kinda sucks that sometimes it just falls apart though (only good purple is magic or bad triggers suck).

I'm trying to go for a Cinder 16 win and it feels like most runs fall apart really quick - anybody got some class recommendations?

It feels like any character without a good weapon on floor 1 is a giant pain in the rear end to play - maybe just grind alchemist?
I did it with demon hunter. Definitely scarf it up if you're looking to get the W asap.