Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mycot posted:

The thing is that it's not even entirely their fault they have that idea because 50% of modern Fromsoft conversation is if Bloodhound Step/Summon Ashes/Sorcery/etc are cheating or not or if they're the "intended experience" or whatever

As always, if you listen to gamers' opinions about anything you're going to have a bad time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jack Trades posted:

Yes, very good points you two.
Not using all the intended game mechanics does indeed make a game artificially more difficult compared to the baseline experience of using all of the game's mechanics.
I agree.

Cool :)

Jack Trades posted:

Also it's still not a "setting".

It functionally is one even if the UI/UX Fairy did not bless it with an entry in the pause menu.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think the whole thing is just that a lot of people refuse to play Souls games in a way that doesn't maximize the challenge and then they complain about the games being too difficult.

Like if you want to not use summons or consumables and refuse to use a strong build and want to mash your face against a boss over and over until you can beat it blindfolded with perfect parries that's totally cool and fun but if you then also complain that the game is too difficult then lol

I mean, I'm kinda with you on this.

But then I play any deckbuilder and rage at how hard it is. And the reason is because I don't enjoy and don't want to engage with the actual "build a deck" mechanic. Which is too bad because I love the moment-to-moment decision making on which card to play.

I've kinda given up on the genre but it feels like there isn't a game that caters to folks like me who only like one aspect of the genre. So I get why people want a Souls game where they could pop invincibility powerups or some other solution instead of doing co-op or switching weapons or any of the other things that you can do.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have very mixed feelings about Midnight Suns but for what it's worth its combat is actually really great if you want deckbuilder gameplay where you barely engage with the deck-building!

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Fruits of the sea posted:

But then I play any deckbuilder and rage at how hard it is. And the reason is because I don't enjoy and don't want to engage with the actual "build a deck" mechanic. Which is too bad because I love the moment-to-moment decision making on which card to play.

I've kinda given up on the genre but it feels like there isn't a game that caters to folks like me who only like one aspect of the genre. So I get why people would like a Souls game where they could pop invincibility powerups or some other solution instead of doing co-op or switching weapons or any of the other things that you can do.

You're not engaging with the "remove cards from deck" mechanic until you only have one hand to draw :smuggo:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like deckbuilders and I think I'm good at them but the latest wave of deckbuilder games where the optimal strategy is to just do a 2 card deck are boring as hell.

I tried Dawncaster, for example, which is probably the highest rated deckbuilder on Android, beat it on my second try with a 4 card deck, and never touched it again.

I've kinda given up on the genre but it feels like there isn't a game that caters to folks like me who only like one aspect of the genre. So I get why people want a Souls game where they could pop invincibility powerups or some other solution instead of doing co-op or switching weapons or any of the other things that you can do.

Check out Death Roads: Tournament
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1619570/Death_Roads_Tournament/
and Card Quest
https://store.steampowered.com/app/493080/Card_Quest/

Both are very good games and don't have the traditional deckbuilding mechanics that you dislike.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

n0ice

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Card Quest and Midnight Suns, surprisingly closer mechanically than one might expect given the gulf in presentation.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I have very mixed feelings about Midnight Suns but for what it's worth its combat is actually really great if you want deckbuilder gameplay where you barely engage with the deck-building!

Eh, depends on the difficulty level and which characters you're using. I think if you wanted to use someone like wolverine on higher difficulties, then you probably have to roll a bunch of modifiers for his cards because hes really not very good otherwise

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean not using the mushrooms in Mario would make the game harder so yes if you wanted a challenge run you could not use mushrooms so I don’t get the comparison as it undermines the point your trying to make

Maybe this whole discussion has to do with how people look at video games in the first place.

I think some people look at games as a series of bespoke challenges put together and delivered to the player for them to overcome, after which the player can move onto the next thing. For these people, I think it would make sense to just accept whatever balance a developer lays out and that's that. That's the challenge. That's the game, right? It makes sense that this person would think adding player-accessible difficulty adjustments would be counter productive to the experience. I get that.

However, plenty of people don't care about overcoming whatever specific challenges might be laid out for them in games. They care about other things games can offer. Some people just want to watch the story happen. Some people want to see the art of the game and listen to the music. Some people just want to explore worlds without being roadblocked by a challenge they don't care to overcome. Some people just want exactly enough difficulty to get into a flow state and stay there. Personally I think that's where I sit most of the time. I couldn't care less about some game putting some challenge in front of me and saying "bet you can't beat this" just so I can throw myself against it over and over until I can eventually do just the right finger movements to say "yuh huh can so" to myself. I just want a game to be exactly as difficult as it needs to be to get me in the zone and keep me there, and I want to see and hear cool stuff while I do that.

The problem is that everybody is different, which means it is by definition impossible to design a game that can achieve and maintain a flow state for all players. That's why I think difficulty settings / sliders / cheat menus make for good solutions. They let people tune the games they play to match the challenge they need to get into their own flow states.

I also don't think altering your own playstyle intentionally to achieve your desired level of difficulty is good enough. That can be fun in its own way, sure, but it shouldn't be the only way to make a game easier or harder. Hell I've played through Demons Souls with a dual shield turtle build and had a great time. However, overall It's too limiting and requires constant acknowledgement that you're playing in a way you don't prefer. Part of the point of difficulty settings is that they allow you to just naturally play the game in whatever way feels best to you. If you want all the extreme challenge of a naked Soul Level 1 run but you also like the feel of playing as a Todd Howard Battlemage, wearing full plate and a fighting with a big sword and shield and slinging every spell in the game all at the same time, then you should be able to configure the game to be harder than it naturally is so you can get the best of both worlds there. Or if you want to be able to play as a fatrolling fist fighter, why shouldn't you be able to turn the difficulty down so the game isn't impossible to play like that?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 8, 2024

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

GreatGreen posted:

Maybe this whole discussion has to do with how people look at video games in the first place.

I think some people look at games as a series of bespoke challenges put together and delivered to the player for them to overcome, after which the player can move onto the next thing. For these people, I think it would make sense to just accept whatever balance a developer lays out and that's that. That's the challenge. That's the game, right? It makes sense that this person would think adding player-accessible difficulty adjustments would be counter productive to the experience. I get that.

However, plenty of people don't care about overcoming whatever specific challenges might be laid out for them in games. They care about other things games can offer. Some people just want to watch the story happen. Some people want to see the art of the game and listen to the music. Some people just want to explore worlds without being roadblocked by a challenge they don't care to overcome. Some people just want exactly enough difficulty to get into a flow state and stay there. Personally I think that's where I sit most of the time. I couldn't care less about some game putting some challenge in front of me and saying "bet you can't beat this" just so I can throw myself against it over and over until I can eventually say "yuh huh can so" to myself. I just want a game to be exactly as difficult as it needs to be to get me in the zone and keep me there, and I want to see and hear cool stuff while I do that.

The problem is that everybody is different, which means it is by definition impossible to design a game that can achieve and maintain a flow state for all players. That's why I think difficulty settings / sliders / cheat menus make for good solutions. They let people tune the games they play to match the challenge they need to get into their own flow states.

I also don't think altering your own playstyle intentionally to achieve your desired level of difficulty is good enough. That can be fun in its own way, sure, but it shouldn't be the only way to make a game easier or harder. Hell I've played through Demons Souls with a dual shield turtle build and had a great time. However, overall It's too limiting and requires constant acknowledgement that you're playing in a way you don't prefer. Part of the point of difficulty settings is that they allow you to just naturally play the game in whatever way feels best to you. If you want all the extreme challenge of a naked Soul Level 1 run but you also like the feel of playing as a Todd Howard Battlemage, wearing full plate and a fighting with a big sword and shield and slinging every spell in the game all at the same time, then you should be able to configure the game to be harder than it naturally is so you can get the best of both worlds there. Or if you want to be able to play as fatrolling fist fighter, why shouldn't you be able to turn the difficulty down so the game isn't impossible to play like that?

But you have that. They are called summons. They even gave you AI summons do you don’t have to rely on humans. Hell the summons themselves have varying power levels if you don’t want the summons to do all the work or if you do want them to. It’s actually extremely versatile if you engage with it

I think a static easy medium hard dynamic would be actively worse for what you want to accomplish here

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
if they really wanted summons to act as difficulty modifiers they should patch pre-nerf Mimic Tear back into Elden Ring because I cannot imagine beating Malenia without it

really, I think summons are kind of a wack mechanic both in AI and co-op forms because of how all over the place the balance is. memories of watching Vinny from Giant Bomb's playthrough of Dark Souls where he got stuck on Seath, decided to do a co-op summon since it seemed like it'd be a fun way to make it a bit easier, and the player he summoned had taken off half the boss's health before he'd even run down the hill to it. at least difficulty modifiers around damage scaling wouldn't let you completely avoid engaging with the mechanics of a fight

AI summons generally avoid this problem, I will admit, with Elden Ring's ghosts being kind of a different thing from what we traditionally consider summons. but I do feel like there are a lot that wind up either being just overpowered enough it makes the fight feel cheapened, or so underpowered all they do is give you about five seconds of taking aggro before they get owned

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CharlestheHammer posted:

But you have that. They are called summons. They even gave you AI summons do you don’t have to rely on humans. Hell the summons themselves have varying power levels if you don’t want the summons to do all the work or if you do want them to. It’s actually extremely versatile if you engage with it

I think a static easy medium hard dynamic would be actively worse for what you want to accomplish here

I mean, the last part of my post specifically addresses the "having to play in a way you otherwise wouldn't" thing you're talking about. I get that the options are there, and they're great, but I don't think it's enough.

I agree with you in that I don't like classic "Easy, Medium, Hard" settings either. They're too vague and coarse. If I had my way then games like Elden Ring would have all kinds of specific things on sliders that you could adjust both up and down from default. Player damage taken multiplier, enemy damage taken multiplier, enemy aggression, souls gained per enemy killed multiplier, all kinds of stuff.

The default way to play would always be there but you could deviate from that in whatever way feels best to you. I really don't see a downside for that in a single player game. I suppose the answer for multi-player would be that all difficulty would be normalized to default for online play so people couldn't setup ambush worlds where they set player damage taken to max and wait to attack invaders by using burst builds.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 8, 2024

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean yes summons have been refined per game and they will probably continue to get refined in future installments. Because Fromsoft games do change a little bit per installment.

Just not to appease internet crybabies

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Somebody should just make a Soulslike without the stuff people don't like in From's games.

e: instead of trying to convince people in this thread to enjoy something they don't

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Part of what I've always loved about the Souls games is that the difficulty slider is entirely in how you adjust to their combat logic. They're games that are absolutely full of cheese options you can electively use in response to challenges that they throw at you. Something as simple as using a big shield instead of trying to dodge and parry everything like pro streamers do shaves off enormous amounts of difficulty - the heavier shields are literal godmode most of the time. You have trump cards that make almost every difficult encounter trivial if you explore what's available to you - consumables, bows, using the environment, being slow and methodical, etc.

They're absolutely not difficult games unless you try to approach them with a very rigid mindset about having to do everything a specific set-in-stone way. Puzzling out how to make the difficult parts easy by exploring the tools available to me is exactly what I like about them. That's the part of them that's really beautifully designed and it's why IMO having a dedicated easy-mode kind of defeats the purpose of playing them as opposed to just watching a LP or whatever. I think most people who like souls games will say that the aha moment when this all clicked for them is one of their favorite gaming moments of all time and having a dedicated easy mode would prevent a lot of people from experiencing that moment because they'd just play through on easy mode if they felt challenged. It wouldn't affect me or the way I play them but it would prevent a lot of newer players from experiencing that moment.

I actually think Elden Ring is one of the worst games in the series (still good though) because it took away a lot of this flexibility in discovered-cheese in favor of giving you more-obvious cheese tactics like powerful on-demand summons and easier-than-ever co-op. But then again it's the best-selling one so I guess that's probably the direction future games will head in.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 8, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Somebody should just make a Soulslike without the stuff people don't like in From's games.

It's called Cookie Clicker

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

kazil posted:

It's called Cookie Clicker

Cookie Clicker: Prepare to Diet Edition

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Let's change the subject away from difficulty settings and such for a bit

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

... So anime :v:

Actually on topic: Apparently Immortals Fenyx Rising is on sale for $6, being pitched as "Ubisoft's BOTW" always had me at least intrigued even if I'm expecting a hefty dosage of Ubisoft Mediocrity but if it meant getting to play on PC then cool. However since then I got a BOTW emu set up and then actually played TOTK on the Switch I'm wondering if I should get my $6 back before I've even loaded it up :thunk:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Check out Death Roads: Tournament
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1619570/Death_Roads_Tournament/
and Card Quest
https://store.steampowered.com/app/493080/Card_Quest/

Both are very good games and don't have the traditional deckbuilding mechanics that you dislike.

Hogama posted:

Card Quest and Midnight Suns, surprisingly closer mechanically than one might expect given the gulf in presentation.

This is much appreciated btw! Death Roads and Card Quest look really neat, and I had written off Midnight Suns despite hearing so many good things about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Actually on topic: Apparently Immortals Fenyx Rising is on sale for $6, being pitched as "Ubisoft's BOTW" always had me at least intrigued even if I'm expecting a hefty dosage of Ubisoft Mediocrity but if it meant getting to play on PC then cool. However since then I got a BOTW emu set up and then actually played TOTK on the Switch I'm wondering if I should get my $6 back before I've even loaded it up :thunk:

Enjoyment of Fenyx is basically directly proportional to how much you like the idea of Greek mythology dad jokes. The game itself is fine and some of the puzzles are pretty neat.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Sab669 posted:

It's a pretty big game for 6bux. It's more like half AC: Odyssey and half BOTW. Climbing cliffs and a million different map markers. It's an ok game, nothing amazing.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Orv posted:

Greek mythology dad jokes

Keep talking.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

unity just laid off 25% of their staff, not looking good for competition in the engine space

this should be in the games industry thread but it's still closed

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finished the first Golden Idol DLC, but reading some steam reviews (and a general sense I've heard from other places) it sounds like the second DLC isn't as good? I mean, I'll still play it, natch.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

repiv posted:

mods ( i know one of yall reads this) is there an ETA on when that might be open? i dont even remember what the previous tedious slapfight was about, hopefully everyone else forgot.

e: oh i remember now lol but I think there's enough new news in the interim to help move the convo along?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mordja posted:

Finished the first Golden Idol DLC, but reading some steam reviews (and a general sense I've heard from other places) it sounds like the second DLC isn't as good? I mean, I'll still play it, natch.

I personally liked it better than the first one!

That said I loved the game so much I just bought both DLCs and played them back to back, and what I heard was true: both DLCs are short (3 maps aside), hard (all of these maps required serious thinking) and are neat prequels that are interesting but don't really expand on the main story much. In some ways they answer a question that no one was asking ('how did oberon geller get the golden idol') but whatever they're neat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I’m about 6 hours in on the steam deck and it’s been enjoyable so far. It’s not amazing but it’s decent and I’m enjoying the voice acting.

I’d say it’s a good way to spend $6 and your time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kazil posted:

It's a pretty big game for 6bux. It's more like half AC: Odyssey and half BOTW. Climbing cliffs and a million different map markers. It's an ok game, nothing amazing.

If there's some Kassandra-tier voice acting attached, then sounds pretty good when you put it that way.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zeus and Prometheus narrate your journey and make Greek myth dad in-jokes the entire time. In the first five minutes they make a "Achilles and his roommate Patroclus" joke.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 9, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of good games, I want to thank whoever recommended Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum. I played it a bit last year, but now bit into it proper and it really is the good poo poo.

It is essentially lo-fi Hotline Miami feat cmd console hacking. There's a charming and discrete plot over its cyberpunk trappings and the presentation owns.

proof that videogames are back

Also I laughed at this small detail

You may notice there's an empty spot in the skill folders. It is the stealth skill tree hiding itself.

[

Im glad people are getting into it. Its really good and charming :3

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

In some ways they answer a question that no one was asking ('how did oberon geller get the golden idol') but whatever they're neat.
I don't really mind, the story's largely centered around a different character who just happens to fall in with the wrong crowd, and all that's more a denouement to the drama that unfolds.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Sab669 posted:

If there's some Kassandra-tier voice acting attached, then sounds pretty good when you put it that way.

The game is "narrated" by Zeus and Prometheus talking to each other. There's a ton of it. Your enjoyment will depend a lot on just how much you enjoy it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kazil posted:

The game is "narrated" by Zeus and Prometheus talking to each other. There's a ton of it. Your enjoyment will depend a lot on just how much you enjoy it.

how many times do they say "malaka"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think the whole thing is just that a lot of people refuse to play Souls games in a way that doesn't maximize the challenge and then they complain about the games being too difficult.

Like if you want to not use summons or consumables and refuse to use a strong build and want to mash your face against a boss over and over until you can beat it blindfolded with perfect parries that's totally cool and fun but if you then also complain that the game is too difficult then lol

levelling hit points is the big thing, i started enjoying souls games way more after someone told me to do that.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sab669 posted:

They should've paid me to make me listen to the terrible writing and non-stop narration in that game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I almost never look at them, I forget about them as soon as I finish the game, but if I can't get Steam achievements I don't want to play it :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

unity just laid off 25% of their staff, not looking good for competition in the engine space

Unity just announced that they’re going to lay off 25% of their staff. people will be informed in batches weekly starting soon. morale must be at an all-time high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Unity just announced that they’re going to lay off 25% of their staff. people will be informed in batches weekly starting soon. morale must be at an all-time high
https://www.reuters.com/technology/unity-software-cutting-25-staff-company-reset-continuation-2024-01-08/

quote:

Videogame software provider Unity Software (U.N) will target laying off approximately 25% of its workforce, or 1,800 jobs, the company said in a regulatory filing and internal company memo on Monday.

After the announcement, Unity shares were up nearly 5% in after-hours trading.

the system works!