Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Large Testicles posted:

i had to have knee surgery at 16 and back surgery when i was 25 and neither of them were due to injury. i'm like the Yugo of people

My friend had both hips replaced before he was 30, he had avascular necrosis of the ends of his femurs. The fun part is that unlike most people who have their hips replaced by titanium, he’ll probably live long enough to need them replaced a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Computer viking posted:

(And family feud was never on TV here, so that wasn't an obvious reference - but yes)

You need to look up some episodes. Classic ones have Richard Dawson kissing every female on set (kinda creepy), current run has Steve Harvey getting offended at every. little. thing. Like Neil deGrass Tyson's kid commenting on his (lack of) hair :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1HbsQRftfI

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Phanatic posted:

My friend had both hips replaced before he was 30, he had avascular necrosis of the ends of his femurs. The fun part is that unlike most people who have their hips replaced by titanium, he’ll probably live long enough to need them replaced a second time.

I just had my hip replaced last year at 41 and my estimate for the next one is @ 60-ish. Your buddy might live long enough to have TWO revisions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I loved Richard Dawson, as that was my era (although even a little old for me, more re-runs) but drat yeah, the repeated kissing of the female contestants in the 70s, looking back with the lens of today is a little :stare:

https://youtu.be/-NX6yqCTRO4?si=uYktg2bHFbTKKMTx

There was quite the mix from the ladies with a totally into it to more of a resigned "whelp, I should just get this over with" vibe.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah definitely syndication by the time I came around, but yeah. The things that were acceptable back then are a OH HELL NAW today.

The one that always got me was my parents lighting a cigarette or five while shopping at Safeway.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

slidebite posted:

I loved Richard Dawson, as that was my era (although even a little old for me, more re-runs) but drat yeah, the repeated kissing of the female contestants in the 70s, looking back with the lens of today is a little :stare:

There was quite the mix from the ladies with a totally into it to more of a resigned "whelp, I should just get this over with" vibe.

Dawson was a product of the time and yeah cringe. There is always this one though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpSbeiPLB30

And hell, he was in Running Man.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
RI, you do realize Steve is pretending to be offended right? It's a bit (that he's pretty good at)

https://youtu.be/WmkO2ZYE2oA?si=KmYlL0D_baocynBA

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

slidebite posted:

On the lips?! :stare:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Sexual harassment only just stopped being acceptable recently, never forget that. Women being able to vote and work without a husband's permission are fairly new achievements as well.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SEKCobra posted:

Sexual harassment only just stopped being acceptable recently, never forget that. Women being able to vote and work without a husband's permission are fairly new achievements as well.

I was all set to be like uhh 19th ammendment: 100 yEarS isNt FaIRLy nEW...

...but decided to just check wikipedia right quick and boy I guess we can really start the clock in the mid 1970s JFC.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Women in Lichtenstein gained the right to vote in 1984, and the last canton in Switzerland didn't give women local voting rights until 1991.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Collateral Damage posted:

Women in Lichtenstein gained the right to vote in 1984, and the last canton in Switzerland didn't give women local voting rights until 1991.

If you don’t produce 1,000,000 cars/yr are you even a country worth considering the politics of in AI?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

If you don’t produce 1,000,000 cars/yr are you even a country worth considering the politics of in AI?

Monteverdi is definitely AI poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Here's one for Painter Of Crap to feel better:

this month's rock auto news letter - "Repair mistakes and blunders" posted:

Repair Mistakes & Blunders

Years ago I was lucky enough to purchase my first truck - a 1992 Jeep Comanche. The Comanche was by no means new, but was well equipped with 4.0L engine, 5 speed transmission and 4WD. It had served its previous owner well as a shop truck. A few weeks later I noticed the unmistakable smell of overheating brakes. Immediately I figured that it must have been a sticking caliper. "No big deal" I thought since I had been maintaining my own transportation ever since my dad trusted me to air up the tires on my bicycle!

After replacing both front calipers, pads, rotors, and hydraulic lines, it came time to bleed the system. I had used over two gallons of brake fluid trying to bleed the air out but could not for the life of me get the brake pedal to feel right! Then out of desperation I replaced both rear wheel cylinders and the master cylinder while consulting every knowledgeable person I could think of. I was at my wits end, and I knew there was air trapped somewhere but no amount of bleeding helped. With my head hung low I returned to the shop where I purchased the truck and explained my situation. In what seemed like less than a minute, the mechanic came out smirking and informed me that I had put the front calipers on the wrong side, putting the bleeders at the bottom. The bleeder screws need to be at the top of the caliper to allow the air to be bled from the brake system!

Andy in Iowa

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Never done it, but a fairly common mishap.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Or putting in the pads backwards.

We arrived at a race weekend and when I pulled the car out of the trailer the brakes sounded wrong, quick check and backwards pads on one corner.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Phanatic posted:

My brother had a cadaver knee, and then the cancer came back and he got titanium but also had a wide resection of tissue and lost most of his quadriceps and other various muscles / connective tissues, making his leg not able to do much mechanically, and then at 25 his hip on the other side went necrotic which they said was probably from the chemo, so he had that replaced, and then at age 43 a truck pulled out in front of him and my dad while they were driving, causing an accident that shattered his “worse” leg below the artificial knee, requiring external fixation and physical therapy which was very difficult for him to do on a leg that is difficult to move anyway, and now they think he is about to need a new artificial knee and new artificial hip because has had them for a long time now. The only thing that’s had more stresses than his legs is probably his mind

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
At that goddamn rate I'm surprised his vasculature isn't causing his legs to die, or they haven't looked at prosthetics because Jesus. Thats a seriously lovely roll of the dice.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m an orthopedic trauma sales consultant. AMA.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Daughter's roommates 2013 Fit wouldn't start. Green immobilizer light kept flashing on the dashboard, meaning the system wasn't recognizing the key.

*sigh*

Found the FSM, printed out the relevant pages and got to work. Fuse checks good, ground is good, getting ready to start testing connectors and noticed this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bling-Car-Decor-Rhinestone-Accessories/dp/B0101SLTC8?th=1

around the ignition switch.

nah...

Peeled it off, tried the key, started right up.

Googled it afterward, apparently this has been happening for a while. Metal ring interferes with the signal between the chip and the key. Yay science!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

PhotoKirk posted:

Googled it afterward, apparently this has been happening for a while. Metal ring interferes with the signal between the chip and the key. Yay science!

lol

Amazon Review posted:

I gave it a one star because this small little thing drained my battery. I went to go start my car and it would not start and I took it to the dealership and they told me that the little piece was giving off a current from the bling which caused my battery to drain.

lol

Amazon Review posted:

The crystals in this made my car not turn on.

lmao

Horrible Mechanical Failures: "The crystals in this made my car not turn on"

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 8, 2024

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Does nobody charge their crystals anymore??

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

sirbeefalot posted:

Does nobody charge their crystals anymore??

It's hard to find a good JO bud.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Crystals should be glued onto the steering wheel airbag, not the Start button. :shepface:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My brother used to joke that the emblem in the middle of his steering wheel was designed to be launched off by the airbag at speed in order to euthanize you quickly in the event of a crash. He joked, but it was right on the airbag seam, so ???? maybe?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

freeedr posted:

My brother used to joke that the emblem in the middle of his steering wheel was designed to be launched off by the airbag at speed in order to euthanize you quickly in the event of a crash. He joked, but it was right on the airbag seam, so ???? maybe?

I think those are usually just painted foil.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
You can see which side of the emblem the seam goes around if you look closely enough.

Source: I used to work with someone who worked in Takata's airbag division and would point out every knit line in every steering wheel they saw

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wait so it's just exposed stainless? you could just brush plate a cybertruck???

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Wait so it's just exposed stainless? you could just brush plate a cybertruck???

Again - Musk refuses to learn lessons already learned before by previous manufacturers because he's a god damned moron

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I don't want to give away that one weird trick that Elon Musk hasn't figured out, but this is an ideal use case for a full covering of PPF.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
yeah i assumed they would of at least clear coated it but lol of course not

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I wouldn’t mind seeing one clad in cor-ten.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cerakote the whole thing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ulf posted:

I wouldn’t mind seeing one clad in cor-ten.

That would actually look really cool.

Until it gets road salt on it and dissolves into a pile of rust flakes.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
When are we gonna see the first cybertruck that's purposely corroded into a hipster patina?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even the DeLorean was at least brushed.

it's not always just that everyone is stupid except for you Elon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want to see one polished to a perfect mirror finish. It's like the only thing you can do with bare metal better than with paint. Someone's gotta be doing it already right

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I want to see one polished to a perfect mirror finish. It's like the only thing you can do with bare metal better than with paint. Someone's gotta be doing it already right

I can't imagine how wavy the body would look polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

I can't imagine how wavy the body would look polished.

me admiring myself in the polished cybertruck across the street