Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They ran Megaman 10 at a full 60fps.
Less intensive Switch games should run fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Infinitum posted:

They ran Megaman 10 at a full 60fps.
Less intensive Switch games should run fine.
I assume you mean 11? Because 10 is neither "intensive" nor a Switch game (unless you count the collection).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

I watched that rp4p live stream, not much surprise here. All PS2 games work, you just choose 2x 3x 4x resolution depends on games. Switch games barely work. Tried red dead, way too slow; Hades, kinda playable; Metroid Dread, hover above 30fps but if you change the resolution to 0.75x it should be playable.

One youtuber said it only support ouput to TV at 1080p/60, that's kind of unfortunate. You have slightly faster horse power than Odin 1 and can render PS2 games at higher resolution but you can't put it on a 4K TV.

I am undecided on the stick position, is it comfortable to play driving games and 3D action games on the 3+?

Wow this thing is going to be a lot more impressive than I was expecting if it’s going to support the PS2 library at full speed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I know it's important to a lot of folks, but hdmi output specs are super duper low on the "important features" list for me. The entire reason for owning one is to play it handheld as I've got plenty of ways to play games on a tv already.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tiny Timbs posted:

Wow this thing is going to be a lot more impressive than I was expecting if it’s going to support the PS2 library at full speed.

It will play all PS2 games at 2x except your favorite PS2.

*SOTC

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I know it's important to a lot of folks, but hdmi output specs are super duper low on the "important features" list for me. The entire reason for owning one is to play it handheld as I've got plenty of ways to play games on a tv already.
Same here. I like being able to pick up and play wherever rather than having to plonk myself down in a specific spot. Since I got my 35XX, I've barely played on my other consoles just because of sheer convenience.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I do get wanting HDMI though if easy save-syncing isn't a feature of the OS you're using. It's nice to be able to go back and forth easily. But yeah I'm in the same boat, do not care about video out.

I'm just glad to know the D1200 is not getting obsoleted. I splurged on the Ayaneo Pocket Air and while a lot of people seem to have their problems with the company's support, I've been mostly super happy with it. If Yuzu ever finds a way to play continuously without crashing, I'll be completely super happy with it. And the more Dimensity's are out there in people's hands the more likely that gets, so awesome.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNnGzhjU5-U

Wii, PS2, and 3DS looking like they're all going to run perfectly.
For Gamecube they chose 2 harder to emulate games, but it's looking like the vast majority of the library is going to run at 100%.

Super Mario Wonder & Mario RPG running at 'almost' 100% at 0.5 res is :stare:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Infinitum posted:

Super Mario Wonder & Mario RPG running at 'almost' 100% at 0.5 res is :stare:

Rendering at 640x360 is a pretty solid way to make anything significantly less demanding, and the Switch is already pretty undemanding.

mystes
May 31, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

Rendering at 640x360 is a pretty solid way to make anything significantly less demanding, and the Switch is already pretty undemanding.
plus it's not even that different from the native resolution on many of these devices. if the retroid pocket 4 pro had a 640xwhatever screen but otherwise the same specs I bet people would still buy it, so being able to play a few popular switch games at that resolution isn't bad at all

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 7, 2024

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
seeing the switch library on a portable device is amazing to see either way, groundbreaking progeress

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

See, I think that’s where they screwed up the switch is not making it portable… I’m kidding though and get what you were getting at. It just read funny.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They screwed up by making it annoying as poo poo to play old games on a subscription model. I don’t care how cheap it is I’m not “renting” NES games. If the switch let me buy old games for a couple bucks I never would have gotten into these things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The switch UI is also dog poo poo slow.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

The switch UI is also dog poo poo slow.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rolo posted:

They screwed up by making it annoying as poo poo to play old games on a subscription model. I don’t care how cheap it is I’m not “renting” NES games. If the switch let me buy old games for a couple bucks I never would have gotten into these things.

Wait, you can't buy old games like you can on play store and Xbox store?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nintendo let you buy old games outright on the 3DS/Wii/WiiU but on the switch it's the netflix model where you get access to a library (which doesn't cover everything that was available on the 3DS/Wii/WiiU) for as long as you have an active NSO subscription

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Every console until the switch had a virtual console or whatever it’s called, basically a store for buying vintage games for a couple bucks.

Now it’s like a Netflix service and stuff like N64 and GBA games require a premium account. There is no ownership and it checks online to make sure your account is current before letting you play anything.

It loving sucks and it made me find other ways to play their stuff and now I’m happier with a RP2S and Deck. I’ll prolly be selling my Switch soon too. I don’t even need it for first party games anymore.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rolo posted:

I’ll prolly be selling my Switch soon too.

check if its hackable, those units command a decent premium at this point since there's still no way to softmod the ipatched models

i sold mine for not much less than it cost in the first place

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just used my switch again and drat the screen is so bad on the non oled one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rolo posted:

Every console until the switch had a virtual console or whatever it’s called, basically a store for buying vintage games for a couple bucks.

Now it’s like a Netflix service and stuff like N64 and GBA games require a premium account. There is no ownership and it checks online to make sure your account is current before letting you play anything.

It loving sucks and it made me find other ways to play their stuff and now I’m happier with a RP2S and Deck. I’ll prolly be selling my Switch soon too. I don’t even need it for first party games anymore.

Agreed on emulation of older systems but Switch emulation on the deck is awful. I'd keep it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s fine too. I liked the switch Zelda’s and Mario’s but I’ll prolly never play them a second time. My biggest time sink on the switch is stuff like hollow knight, hades, and things that are on the deck already.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Most of the Switch 3rd party games are on Steam. So if you want to play Steam indie games on a smaller device, you can play it on Odin via emulation or do it on the switch.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Rolo posted:

. There is no ownership and it checks online to make sure .

Yeah I hear that. The lack of “ownership” is something the industry has been pushing for what it seems is a long time now. I guess back as far as the satellaview or maybe even the FDS. I buy a lot of physical games because I don’t want them to be removable by the company. Hard to say what Nintendo is going to do with the next console but we are probably in the last few years of physical media, which is bad for the consumer. The game purchase needs to be irrevocable. It wouldn’t shock me if Nintendo only had a game card a lot on the new switch 2 or whatever for legacy games.

Non-transferability of games you’ve already finished is equally as heinous. And I greet that with a hearty Yo Ho Ho.

That being said, would it kill Nintendo to sell things like Super Mario All-Stars for switch for like $7?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yes. Absolutely.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Taki said he did not make the RP4 :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOyDiEcLoJQ&t=25s

(good point on the trigger and the screen color temp though, I think Retroid is reaching to bottom half of their screen stock.)

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 8, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Trigger issue seems like an easy fix via an update. Analog triggers are cool and good, just need to adjust the zones for them.

Screen issue is only with the early review units that got sent out and won't be in release units; at least according to Retroid

Edit: Already commented on via their discord

otter posted:

That being said, would it kill Nintendo to sell things like Super Mario All-Stars for switch for like $7?

Straight up when my Switch bricked and I was considering my options, repairing it or a new handheld of some variety, the absolute glacial pace for releases on the virtual console titles was a large factor in deciding against repairing it.
They announced 1080 Snowboarding in Sept 2022, and only released it in Dec 2023; after my Switch was dead.

Like I get that there's licensing and poo poo involved, but gently caress me there's no reason to drip feed titles out like they do.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 8, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've said it before but it really rubs me the wrong way how review units are sent out with a bunch of issues they promise will be fixed in final models.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

njsykora posted:

I've said it before but it really rubs me the wrong way how review units are sent out with a bunch of issues they promise will be fixed in final models.

Shouldn't be surprising. Manufacturers are pumping these things out.....trying to be first to provide the next upgraded handheld capable of handling xxxxx system for under $xxx. Speed to market is a priority.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCWn9U8HHHc

Hype a video showing of MGS2 running at full speed.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I received a Powkiddy x55 that I ordered at the beginning of December, and I am in love. This thing is so cool and so well made, it really does everything I want from it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i keep waffling between getting the x55 or the G Cloud or the Odin 2, except that i don't buy anything because i'm unemployed lol. maybe by the time i'm employed the g cloud will see another informal price drop on amazon. ergonomics trump anything else for me, with the Steam Deck constantly reminding me of how heavy it is whenever I play it in bed. my elbows hate me right now

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

rotinaj posted:

I received a Powkiddy x55 that I ordered at the beginning of December, and I am in love. This thing is so cool and so well made, it really does everything I want from it.

One day I might finally go for one, haven’t talked myself into it yet though. I honestly don’t find I have much gaming time lately. What’s the point of being alive? Ugh.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

rotinaj posted:

I feel the same way about this Retroid Flip. If they come out with a version of the Flip that has the guts of the 4 I might pick that up for the better GameCube performance, but this this is great. A+. Really cool that there's multiple companies producing really great devices like this.

Seriously, I have every game I ever owned or rented as a kid and way more on this, plus it works great for xbox streaming - I've been able to play Persona 5 Tactica really effectively on it. These things are ridiculous.

What's y'all's favorite shaders? I've been messing around with them since this has the horsepower to use them. The "handheld/simpletext_lcd" presets do an incredible job of making it look exactly like I remember the GBC & GBA screens looking. And "xbrz-freescale-multipass" runs really well on the Flip despite most of the other xbrz options being framey at best. I like stacking them, feel free to call me psychopath (xbrz first, then simpletex).

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Retroid Pocket 4 Pro - should I buy it?

I think I need an excuse given my current handhelds... I guess I don't own any Android gaming consoles and have had Android phones forever so have a fair number of games. And I don't have anything pocketable that plays anything above PS1. But my excuses are getting kind of thin...

OTOH my wife is going to kill me...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

Russ didn’t really sell me on it.

He did sell me on the Odin 2 though lol that looks great.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Evil Robot posted:

I think I need an excuse given my current handhelds... I guess I don't own any Android gaming consoles and have had Android phones forever so have a fair number of games. And I don't have anything pocketable that plays anything above PS1. But my excuses are getting kind of thin...

OTOH my wife is going to kill me...

You should look into some way to play this one Zelda game for the game Boy, link’s awakening

You’d probably like it

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Russ didn’t really sell me on it.

He did sell me on the Odin 2 though lol that looks great.

Eh the Steam Deck is fine for being ultra powerful at that price

Jesus Kristov
May 2, 2007

Stop liking anime you little shits. I didn't die on the cross for you to do that.
Surprised at how capable the Pocket 4 pro is but it seems that software/Android is a problem.

Looked into AetherSX2 and it looks like it's not in active development any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, people were entirely too psycho towards the dev, begging for help and iOS ports and poo poo, they threw up their hands and said "I'm out, gently caress you all"

Can't blame them in the least