Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I want to see Chaos Dwarfs so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really want to see a classic Dorf army made aos style

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JBP posted:

I really want to see a classic Dorf army made aos style

Khazalid Empire like Chaos Dwarfs have been getting hints. I assume they will come eventually.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I want to see Chaos Dwarfs so bad.

Apparently the original source of the leaks is very reliable, and previously leaked the FEC revamp and Kruleboyz, so I am hyped.

Skaven and Chaos Dwarves in the same edition is going to decimate my wallet, though. If BoC get a revamp anytime soon I'm in real trouble.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Talas posted:

Rumors going around Discord, seems like most of the legend factions in TOW are getting some kind of update for AoS.

I would love for the chorfs to give us chaos hellcannons/equivalents for the Grand Alliance of Chaos. I was kinda shocked that AOS doesn't have the equivalent of that in the game.

And i don't really like the look of the plagueclaw even if i can use them with Nurgle.

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

Another Mega done, done late last year but here we go:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I actually really hope S2D get their Chaos Dragons back for TOW cross compatibility as well as the fact that Dragons are sick.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/07/sunday-preview-the-siege-of-terra-reaches-its-climax/

Next week's pre-orders sees the stand-alone releases of the characters from the latest Dawnbringer crusades book.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

I actually really hope S2D get their Chaos Dragons back for TOW cross compatibility as well as the fact that Dragons are sick.

Chaos Dragons always looked cool in art. It would also make a great centrepiece as a mount that can actually be used, as their only previous Chaos Dragons were stand alone monsters and not mounts.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

TearsOfPirates posted:

I would love for the chorfs to give us chaos hellcannons/equivalents for the Grand Alliance of Chaos. I was kinda shocked that AOS doesn't have the equivalent of that in the game.

And i don't really like the look of the plagueclaw even if i can use them with Nurgle.

Yeah I'd love some kind of chaos artillery just to add some variety at the tactical level. It's a shame kruleboyz have probably got exclusive rights to the idea of heavy arbalests and ballistas with big jagged spears; I think those would be very on brand for chaos warriors.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yeah I'd love some kind of chaos artillery just to add some variety at the tactical level. It's a shame kruleboyz have probably got exclusive rights to the idea of heavy arbalests and ballistas with big jagged spears; I think those would be very on brand for chaos warriors.

I imagine Chaos Dwarfs would be allies to Slaves to Darkness.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
give Slaves to Darkness back their Dragon and Hellcannon!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm totally okay with S2D not having any shooting. Keep armies distinct with notable advantages and disadvantages.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

Another Mega done, done late last year but here we go:

axe needs dripping slime

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/08/las-vegas-open-2024-tune-in-to-the-next-warhammer-preview

LVO preview stream in two weeks.

There will be cats.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

There will be cats.

Shameful layer lines.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm totally okay with S2D not having any shooting. Keep armies distinct with notable advantages and disadvantages.

"Not being able to interact with an entire phase of them game" has always been an incredibly stupid disadvantage, and should be eliminated at the earliest opportunity

Not that S2D should be able to field a full gun line build but one artillery piece that they had in WHFB is not gonna cause that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Z the IVth posted:

Shameful layer lines.

Cat has a stone foot.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It also has a bunch of other patches of grey on its body. And a case of terminator face too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

There was also this thing: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/08/spearhead-stormcast-eternals-a-reforged-army-box-to-strike-down-sigmars-foes/

A) I hope this isn't replacing Vanguard boxes, 'cause it's probably going to cost about the same, and
B) I really hope this isn't the target unit size for some Combat Patrol equivalent for 4th ed.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

grassy gnoll posted:

There was also this thing: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/08/spearhead-stormcast-eternals-a-reforged-army-box-to-strike-down-sigmars-foes/

A) I hope this isn't replacing Vanguard boxes, 'cause it's probably going to cost about the same, and
B) I really hope this isn't the target unit size for some Combat Patrol equivalent for 4th ed.

Pretty sure this seems to be a leftover from overproduced sprues for the dominion box, but you can't be too cautious.

Also pretty sure that Vanguard is almost the same as Combat Patrol from what I understand?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

We will absolutely get Vanguard mode just like Combat Patrol in 4.0.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TearsOfPirates posted:

Pretty sure this seems to be a leftover from overproduced sprues for the dominion box, but you can't be too cautious.

Also pretty sure that Vanguard is almost the same as Combat Patrol from what I understand?

It's a mix of Dominion sprue, so Yndrasta, Annihilator and Vexilors in some fashion, and the the Chariot and Vanquishers are from the stand alone boxes. Dominion had the incredibly similarly sounding Vindictor spearmen.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Man, if only Yndrasta was good for her cost in points. I've only used her once and never again... sadly, her model is so pretty.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A pity she's also sculpted onto her far too big base, and trying to remove her from it is a massive pain in the rear end.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Talas posted:

Man, if only Yndrasta was good for her cost in points. I've only used her once and never again... sadly, her model is so pretty.

She would be amazing if she had a big meaningful anchor ability that made you want to hold her until turn 2-3 then dive in and solve a problem. I used her a couple of times and yeah she just had no impact for the price outside of looking cool.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
AoS Combat Patrol would be ok. The Vanguard boxes were such a step down from the Start Collecting ones that tying them to a discrete fixed format game mode would be an improvement.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'm totally down for AOS Combat Patrol, I just hope this crappy box isn't what they're positioning for that purpose.

Talas posted:

Snip the tip off her spear, put a brick with a ribbon on it, and bam, instant better Celestant Prime. She needs a bigger base, but if you're good with making a hammer out of a spear, you're qualified to cut a circle out of plastic card.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
don't know why people are acting as if those units aren't gonna have completely different warscrolls in 4.0

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

grassy gnoll posted:

TearsOfPirates posted:

The article says other factions are getting one, this is probably a full revamp of the Vanguard boxes, which will hopefully make more sense when things get rebalanced in six months.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

poop chute posted:

The article says other factions are getting one, this is probably a full revamp of the Vanguard boxes, which will hopefully make more sense when things get rebalanced in six months.

Oh that is absolutely infuriating.

I am thankful that I've managed to pick up a lot of the value boxes for my nurgle army, but this is going to suck for people new to AOS

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I wish they would not do a new edition, and extend this one for another 3 years. I really dislike the rapid edition changes of games workshop. They finally get an edition where it should be then have to start all over. They should at least do a whole year between the last published army book. If they want to do products they can do the narrative stuff. Or have they been doing that with the named boxes I am forgetting?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I wish they would not do a new edition, and extend this one for another 3 years. I really dislike the rapid edition changes of games workshop. They finally get an edition where it should be then have to start all over. They should at least do a whole year between the last published army book. If they want to do products they can do the narrative stuff. Or have they been doing that with the named boxes I am forgetting?

Yeah I also dislike fast edition changes where you have to buy all new, expensive, poo poo every few years. Like, I get to play with my models a few times a year idk what the rest of y'all are doing. I buy a general handbook or whatever the AOS equivalent is to those mission packs and it's out of vogue in 2 months and "everyone" has moved onto the next one like, is everyone going to tournaments biweekly or something?? I'm lucky if there's a tournament in a four hour drive from me

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yup, agreed. It is by far my least favorite thing about Warhammer these days. Unfortunately a edition change makes them a lot of money, which is why there seems to be a mandate from the top to do them every 3 years now.

Hopefully the new edition is a light touch like the 2->3 change was. There are some things that could be polished (battle tactics, monstrous rampages), but on the whole things are really good right now. I would absolutely hate to go to a Index like 40k just did. Although it was probably warranted in 40ks case and the change there has been on the whole positive, although there were a couple of really rough months as far as balance was concerned. I went to a tournament right after the launch of 10th with my Eldar and it was just absurd.

The 3rd edition Battletomes are almost all really well written and fun to play, and have all gone through multiple balance passes at this point. It would be a crying shame to just dumpster all of them next summer in favor of less polished Indexes.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah I also dislike fast edition changes where you have to buy all new, expensive, poo poo every few years. Like, I get to play with my models a few times a year idk what the rest of y'all are doing. I buy a general handbook or whatever the AOS equivalent is to those mission packs and it's out of vogue in 2 months and "everyone" has moved onto the next one like, is everyone going to tournaments biweekly or something?? I'm lucky if there's a tournament in a four hour drive from me

The General's Handbooks were previously on a 6 month cycle which was way too fast. They seem to have moved to a 12 month cycle which is better, but I feel like the recent one was just way too heavy handed. The changes were way too drastic.

Getting a refresh on the missions every so often is nice, and maybe we could have a couple of special rules to shake things up, but the current magic season is just too heavy handed. Hoarfrost and Blizzard are just way too impactful.

The vast majority of players are probably in your boat, where they play a handful of games every year, and a 6 month cycle on the GHBs means that for those players the ground just shifts drastically under their feet every couple of times they play.

I also kind of wish that just playing the rulebook battlepack was more normalized with casual players. You don't need to play the latest GHB, and I find that the rulebook battlepack is probably by far the most fun one of the ones we've gotten.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Crossposting my sorcerer lord:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

grassy gnoll posted:

Crossposting my sorcerer lord:

Tell me how you did the skin right now

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I have wonderful news for you - I'm a lazy idiot, so anything I paint is easy to replicate.

A) Start with an initial pale flesh basecoat, using your favorite brand - I switched back and forth between Vallejo and Scale75 basically at random during this process.
B) Purple wash over the base coat.
C) Put your base flesh, some light pale blue, and some purple on your palette for mixing.
D) Run some purple into the tight corners of the skin, under the elbow, etc - anywhere with recesses and shadow.
E) put a tiny dot of the pale blue as your highest highlight on the relevant spots
F) mix your flesh into the highlight and shades to glaze them back out until you're satisfied. Skintones tend to be pretty transparent to begin with, so you shouldn't have to thin them down very much.

I used the same purple across the model to shade, including the robes. Toss in some medium blue if you want that kinda bruised look as a middle tone - just sorta paint it on like with the purple, then glaze back over it to smooth the transitions. You can see this along the jacked up arm. If you keep mixing your highlights cold, you basically can't go wrong - the same icy blue was used to highlight the skin, the robes, the leather, even the breastplate.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The LVO reveals had some interesting stuff to show.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/19/lvo-preview-2024-nighthaunt-and-luminth-realm-lords-engage-in-elemental-battle/
First up there's Pyre and Flood for Warcry, featuring a new Lumineth and Nighthaunt warband.

Then there's the announcement of Dawnbringers: Book V – Shadow of the Crone, alongside the model of Krethusa the Croneseer.

Kind of interested where they're going with bringing back Morai-Heg and how much that is going to trip up things for Morathi in the long run.

About the new Dawnbringers book:

quote:

This book covers the Croneseer’s Pariahs, an Army of Renown for worshippers of Morai-Heg, and another for the protectors of Hammerhal, as well as the fourth part of the Twin-Tailed Crusade Path to Glory pack. There are rules for Stronghold Assault, a new Matched Play battlepack that pits teams of four players in a clash between competing redoubts.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/19/lvo-preview-2024-callis-and-toll-lead-the-saviours-of-cinderfall/
Then two older AoS characters are making their return with models for Callis and Toll. Alongside some friends. And a cat.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/19/lvo-preview-2024-zondaras-gravebreakers-bring-love-to-the-deathgorge/
Laslyt there's a new Undead team for Underworlds.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This got seeded back in the battle tome, so I’m real glad we are moving along the plot of Morathi losing control over the Daughters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The Crone is really great

The UW beast reminds me of a certain someone though